The official Lions 2021 thread

All things Rugby
CM11

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by CM11 »

Willie Falloon wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 pm
Armchair_Superstar wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:04 pm
Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:00 pm
Armchair_Superstar wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:35 pm Bosher centres and a relatively small, quick back row. Solid set piece. Lots of players who are very strong over the ball.

Elliot Daly has landed a penalty from behind his own 10m line in Joburg, so thats that mystery solved.
Welcome back Army :thumbup:
Cheers mucker, just when I thought I was out, Gats pulled me back in :lol:
Be careful, (some) Leinster supporters are in shock that Henderson is considered better than Their hero James Ryan.
Yep. The reaction to the leaked, incorrect, squad showed you to be correct.

Oh wait. That's not right. It showed you to be completely incorrect.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Ryan should be going.

Aki over Slade is silly.

Wtf is Daly doing there.?

Billy V obvious omission and rightly so. He’d break on the hard ground anyway.
Saturnine

Post by Saturnine »

Frodder wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:59 pm
Saturnine wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:52 pm
C69 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:27 pm
RodneyRegis wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:22 pm
MrDominator wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:05 pm The more I think about it, the more those centre selections look like a crime against rugby.

Aki and Harris over Slade and Ringrose?

That's bordering on apostasy :thumbdown:
Lol. not sure why anyone was expecting anything other than a f**king dreadful selection from this goon who has single-handedly ruined the Lions. Surely the most over-rated coach of all time.
Woodward is coach?
:lol: Spot on.

Who's the goon who single-handedly ruined the Lions? The bloke who's never yet lost a Lions Test series as Head Coach, or the fella who oversaw the worst Lions tour of the modern era in which the Lions never got close to the opposition. And inflicted 'The Power of Four' anthem on us.

I wonder...
Not forgetting Alistair Campbell or picking a 35 yr old who had retired or picking his favourite player regardless of form. It's a toughie
Oh Christ, yeah. Bringing a well past-it Back out of retirement & playing an out-of-form and out-of-position St Jonny.

The aftermath of that game - being absolutely soaked in some shit social club in Christchurch with a load of Kiwis (rightfully) taking the piss out of the appalling Lions performance is up there in my top 5 nightmarish rugby experiences.

Lord Bald blocked me on Twitter after I very politely asked for the cost of my Test tickets to be reimbursed. The twat.
ZuLu

Post by ZuLu »

Good looking squad really all things considered. No one left out can feel too hard done by

Shame the whole tour is a waste of time without fans though, way more so than your regular 6N or what have you
Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

bimboman wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:15 pm Ryan should be going.

Aki over Slade is silly.

Aki isn't in over Slade.
Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

The Irish Rugby thread is an absolute meltdown delight at the moment.

The hot takes and provincial shitfights are just rampant.

Apart from the Connacht fans. They are grateful.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Aki over Slade is silly.

The only place Ryan should be going is KFC and the gym, he’s an underpowered Devin Toner.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Da iawn diolch wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:54 pm The Irish Rugby thread is an absolute meltdown delight at the moment.

It's not really, it's fairly tame actually.
Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

Mr. Very Popular wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:58 pm
Da iawn diolch wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:54 pm The Irish Rugby thread is an absolute meltdown delight at the moment.

There have been almost as many posts there since the announcement as there have been in this thread.

Tame, to be sure. :lol:
Mr. Very Popular

The Sun God wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:27 pm
earl the beaver wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:50 pm Who are likely standby players and who will be the first call up?

LH: Healy
HK: ??
TH: Sinckler
LK: Ryan
Backrow: Navidi?
9: ??
10: Sexton/Ford
Wing: May/Stockdale
Centre: Slade/Ringrose
Fullback: Keenan

Pro14 is effectively a development comp at the minute given the changes to the rainbow cup so you'd think it's more likely to be an AP based player in a game that matters.
I have a feeling that Sexy has zero interest in this..... nor indeed do his doctors and the IRFU
Go away, he'll be fuming that he only got picked for 2 Lions tours while Rog was picked for 3.
ZuLu

Post by ZuLu »

This guy wasn't around when we used to get 50 pages out of a Churchill Cup team selection
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

DragsterDriver wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:56 pm

Aki over Slade is silly.

The only place Ryan should be going is KFC and the gym, he’s an underpowered Devin Toner.
Has been this season.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

I'm looking forward to see what tactics will use with this set of players. Are Simmonds and Russell just a misdirection to the Boks, or genuine last gasp subs if we're losing?
Mr. Very Popular

Da iawn diolch wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:01 pm

There have been almost as many posts there since the announcement as there have been in this thread.

Yup,for one of the biggest talking point days in world rugby that's tame, should see us when we really get going,
ZuLu

Post by ZuLu »

I think most Irish supporters would be in agreement on Ryan not travelling. Ringrose too. It's actually Keenan who could feel slightly unlucky of the Irish lot tbh
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Willie Falloon wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:02 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:56 pm

Aki over Slade is silly.

Has been this season.
It was a shocker, like when kruis form collapsed-hit rucks and nothing happened.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Francis will be tight head reserve.
Mr. Very Popular

ZuLu wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:04 pm I think most Irish supporters would be in agreement on Ryan not travelling. Ringrose too. It's actually Keenan who could feel slightly unlucky of the Irish lot tbh
Yup, had hoped Keenan would travel, didn't expect to see Sexton Ryan or Ringrose. Happy that Porter for the nod though.
diarm

Post by diarm »

Keenan can feel unlucky as he's been as good or better than players who've been selected in other positions, but the reality is he hasn't been as good for as long as Hogg and Williams have been at 15 so there's no complaints there.

Sexton wouldn't survive 40 minutes of rugby in South Africa at this stage. It's in his own best interest not to be travelling.

Stander isn't Irish anymore and if we're brutally honest, he hasn't been the playing the sort of rugby that would have made him a shoe in for a good while now.

Ryan and Ringrose are bang out of form and have been for a while.

Murray is fortunate enough that no other 9 really stepped up and took his place during the 6N. Cooney didn't get to show what he could do for Ireland so was never touring with the Lions.

I'd back Earls to add to any squad but you can't point at Watson, Rees-Zammit, Adams or Van de Merwe and say he deserves to be in over any of them either.

I think it's a batshit mental squad he's picked, but I have no issues with the Irish players who weren't selected. Bit surprised at Aki and Conan but I can see why Gatland has gone for them too.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

The Welsh thread is also in similar meltdown i.e. it's had 3 new posts
Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

ZuLu wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:04 pm I think most Irish supporters would be in agreement on Ryan not travelling. Ringrose too. It's actually Keenan who could feel slightly unlucky of the Irish lot tbh
The Lions are stacked in the back three with established talent. He's a quality player, but I can't see who he'd have replaced.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Da iawn diolch wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:01 pm

There's been 3 times as many posts on this thread you eejit. There's barely been two pages on our thread since the announcement and they're mostly in agreement apart from being a bit surprised Aki is traveling.
C69

Post by C69 »

Frodder wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:26 pm The Welsh thread is also in similar meltdown i.e. it's had 3 new posts
The is the most furious post tbh
Josh not getting selected is a shocking decision
GWWG

Post by GWWG »

diarm wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:22 pm Keenan can feel unlucky as he's been as good or better than players who've been selected in other positions, but the reality is he hasn't been as good for as long as Hogg and Williams have been at 15 so there's no complaints there.

Sexton wouldn't survive 40 minutes of rugby in South Africa at this stage. It's in his own best interest not to be travelling.

Stander isn't Irish anymore and if we're brutally honest, he hasn't been the playing the sort of rugby that would have made him a shoe in for a good while now.

Murray is fortunate enough that no other 9 really stepped up and took his place during the 6N. Cooney didn't get to show what he could do for Ireland so was never touring with the Lions.

I'd back Earls to add to any squad but you can't point at Watson, Rees-Zammit, Adams or Van de Merwe and say he deserves to be in over any of them either.

I think it's a batshit mental squad he's picked, but I have no issues with the Irish players who weren't selected. Bit surprised at Aki and Conan but I can see why Gatland has gone for them too.
What about Stampy? It pains me to say it, as I don’t like him, but he looked a lot better than Sutherland.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

C69 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:34 pm
Frodder wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:26 pm The Welsh thread is also in similar meltdown i.e. it's had 3 new posts
The is the most furious post tbh
Josh not getting selected is a shocking decision
I see what you did there :lol:
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Well this is shit, the best thing about these silly tours is the fan anger.
diarm

Post by diarm »

GWWG wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:36 pm
diarm wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:22 pm Keenan can feel unlucky as he's been as good or better than players who've been selected in other positions, but the reality is he hasn't been as good for as long as Hogg and Williams have been at 15 so there's no complaints there.

What about Stampy? It pains me to say it, as I don’t like him, but he looked a lot better than Sutherland.
Whichever of Mako or Healy that got selected would have had the same rows for the other.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Healy has been functional at best this season. He'd do a holding job but doesn't bring much to the game anymore. I'm no scrum expert, at all, but it looks like he is fading there in the last month too.
Punter15

Post by Punter15 »

message #2527204 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:11 pm 8 Scots :o :lol:

Mind you. Most players will be injured at some point. Plenty of room for manu and Billy V to get called in.
11 English :lol:
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

See here. This is a snapshot, if one were needed, which captures why this place has gone to utter shit. Sense.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

CM11 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:29 pm Healy has been functional at best this season. He'd do a holding job but doesn't bring much to the game anymore. I'm no scrum expert, at all, but it looks like he is fading there in the last month too.
Mako will be folded in two against the Bok scrum.
GWWG

Post by GWWG »

ovalball wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:48 pm
CM11 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:29 pm Healy has been functional at best this season. He'd do a holding job but doesn't bring much to the game anymore. I'm no scrum expert, at all, but it looks like he is fading there in the last month too.
Mako will be folded in two against the Bok scrum.
Yes, Sutherland was certainly better than him. For me makes the Healy omission all the more surprising. Perhaps a shadow of himself but at least can scrum and generally puts in a good shift.
Morgan14

Post by Morgan14 »

XXIII out of the lot:

1 W Jones
2 J George
3 T Furlong
4 AW Jones (Capt)
5 M Itoje
6 T Beirne
7 H Watson
8 T Faletau
9 C Murray
10 D Biggar
11 J Adams
12 O Farrell
13 R Henshaw
14 A Watson
15 S Hogg

16 K Owens
17 R Sutherland
18 Z Fagerson
19 I Henderson
20 T Curry
21 A Price
22 F Russell
23 E Daly

Centre cover is too weak, I'll admit

I really like the pack, not sure it's enough to beat SA, but I still like it.

Man, as much as I like our backrow options, that Springbok backrow if it is the same as the WCup final, well, that is tough to beat.
grimoald

Post by grimoald »

I reckon the only reason Farrell (and Daly probs) is touring is because we might go to 6-2 bench splits at some point.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Morgan14 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:23 pm XXIII out of the lot:

1 W Jones
2 J George
3 T Furlong
4 AW Jones (Capt)
5 M Itoje
6 T Beirne
7 H Watson
8 T Faletau
9 C Murray
10 D Biggar
11 J Adams
12 O Farrell
13 R Henshaw
14 A Watson
15 S Hogg

16 K Owens
17 R Sutherland
18 Z Fagerson
19 I Henderson
20 T Curry
21 A Price
22 F Russell
23 E Daly

Centre cover is too weak, I'll admit

I really like the pack, not sure it's enough to beat SA, but I still like it.

Man, as much as I like our backrow options, that Springbok backrow if it is the same as the WCup final, well, that is tough to beat.
Should be the same with possibly van Staden coming on. He is a machine.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

backrow wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:47 pm Very surprised May not going, and Daly is.
Underhill , Sexton and navidi I was also bemused at their omission , when chod like Aki or Jonny hill going.
My thoughts exactly.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Unless the tour is going to be sponsored by Veet I don’t get why AWJ is even on the plane never mind captain.
Ok, you need a bit of experience but I’m not sure they had to look up names in the Bible to find a captain.
I’m sure the Boks will find somebody to feel him up a bit.
Bakkies might even come out of retirement.
We know he has a thing for Welsh lads even if Mike Phillips has bluer eyes than ol Alun.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Flametop wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:50 pm Unless the tour is going to be sponsored by Veet I don’t get why AWJ is even on the plane never mind captain.
Ok, you need a bit of experience but I’m not sure they had to look up names in the Bible to find a captain.
I’m sure the Boks will find somebody to feel him up a bit.
Bakkies might even come out of retirement.
We know he has a thing for Welsh lads even if Mike Phillips has bluer eyes than ol Alun.
I'd put 22 year old (just a few days ago) JJ van der Mescht in against him. :P

This lad dealing with Vermeulen:

Last edited by sorCrer on Thu May 06, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nardol

Post by nardol »

Has a nation ever had more players selected after finishing last in the 6 nations?
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

nardol wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:07 pm Has a nation ever had more players selected after finishing last in the 6 nations?
Wales in 2017.