All things Rugby
LandOTurk

Re: The Official Welsh Rugby Thread

Post by LandOTurk »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:28 pm
Morgan14 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:08 pm
LandOTurk wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:50 pm
Morgan14 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:38 pm
Frodder wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:02 pm Josh not getting selected is a shocking decision
I think there's a good chance he'll tour in the end. Injuries + suspensions might whittle down the back row stocks between now and then
Backrow is a quality deep area. I think he or Underhill are next on the rank if/when injury hits.
Yes, totally agree. Underhill is quality too.
Gatland said that Navidi is injured, and that he's only taking players he know is fit.
....which Sutherland and Aki are not.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Dragons: I Davies; J Holmes, A Owen, J Roberts, R Dyer; S Davies, G Bertanou; J Reynolds, T Davies, L Brown, J Davies, M Screech, R Moriarty (captain), T Basham, A Wainwright.

Replacements: R Lawrence, G Bateman, C Coleman, B Carter, H Keddie, D Babos, J Lewis, J Dixon.

Referee: Mike Adamson (Scotland)
Love the backrow. Will be interesting to see how Davies goes at FB. Looking forward to it.
Theflier

Post by Theflier »

Ellis Jenkins out for the season with a knee injury

Poor fucker
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Theflier wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:40 pm Ellis Jenkins out for the season with a knee injury

Poor fucker
Awful news - any more info? This isn’t the same knee, is it? Hope it’s a new problem which can heal effectively.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Poor bastard. Fingers crossed for him.
Short Man Syndrome

When you say 'out for the season' - the rest of this season? That's only a few weeks, isn't it? He might just have skinned his knee badly!
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

I thought Ellis was out with a groin problem?

Not heard anything about a knee injury - unless it's happened subsequently?
Short Man Syndrome

P in VG wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:32 pm I thought Ellis was out with a groin problem?
I bloody hope so.
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:17 pm
P in VG wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:32 pm I thought Ellis was out with a groin problem?
I bloody hope so.
Found this on the Cardiff Blues website:
James Botham (calf), Matthew Morgan (groin), Rey Lee-Lo (leg) were not considered for selection due to injury, while Ellis Jenkins is unlikely to feature again this season due to a minor injury to his left knee.
Doesn't sound too serious thankfully
Short Man Syndrome

OK, nice one. Of all 17 choices we have for Wales at open side, he's definitely the second best.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

Dragons set to go back into private ownership. Great news.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Derwyn wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:47 am Dragons set to go back into private ownership. Great news.
Only good if someone is bringing cash.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:56 am
Derwyn wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:47 am Dragons set to go back into private ownership. Great news.
Only good if someone is bringing cash.
Maybe Melinda will bring some of her divorce money 💰
Theflier

Post by Theflier »

Theflier wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:40 pm Ellis Jenkins out for the season with a knee injury

Poor fucker
So apparently, tissue has been grafted from the left knee for the right, making the left knee weak.

He's looking at a bungalow inside of a decade imo
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Theflier wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:17 pm

Poor fucker
So apparently, tissue has been grafted from the left knee for the right, making the left knee weak.

He's looking at a bungalow inside of a decade imo
That's not great news. Poor guy
penguin

Post by penguin »

Dragons heading back into private ownership this summer. Dai Buttress just confirmed in a tweet. Good news.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Keystone cops stuff there. Foxy slowly stumbles through some terrible tackles, before knocking on within an inch of thr line.
Theflier

Post by Theflier »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:58 pm Keystone cops stuff there. Foxy slowly stumbles through some terrible tackles, before knocking on within an inch of thr line.
Whoever the last defender was (not including Davies ball handling skills) should be sent to bridgend and never return
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Hardy looks a cut above the mundane shite out there
Theflier

Post by Theflier »

This is one of the worst games or rugby I've seen, a true reason to welcome cataracts
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Theflier wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:58 pm This is one of the worst games or rugby I've seen, a true reason to welcome cataracts
It was grim stuff alright. A game made for Keiran Williams...without him thr Ospreys had nothing.
Short Man Syndrome

LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Yeah, thank God.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

A game so bad that even though you win, you are still forced to resign!!! :lol:

Surely this is all leading to installing Peel as Head Coach.
Theflier

Post by Theflier »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:33 pm Delaney’s fallen on his sword.
https://twitter.com/scarlets_rugby/stat ... 22338?s=21
Very much deserved.

One does wonder, instead of paying Thompson more per game than Morgan per year, would funds been better allocated to a good coach? I don't know Peel all that well, and had no qualms when he was too join Cardiff after a malaise of shit attack coaches, but does his record qualify for this type of gig? I hope its not more years of wasted resources
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:36 pm A game so bad that even though you win, you are still forced to resign!!! :lol:

Surely this is all leading to installing Peel as Head Coach.
Err, he is going to be Head Coach. That was announced last month. Delaney was to be DoR.

I think they couldn't afford to offload him mid contract, moved him to DoR to get him out of the way, but he has now found something else and done a more exit reasonable deal with the Scarlets.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Theflier wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:25 am
Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:33 pm Delaney’s fallen on his sword.
https://twitter.com/scarlets_rugby/stat ... 22338?s=21
Very much deserved.

One does wonder, instead of paying Thompson more per game than Morgan per year, would funds been better allocated to a good coach? I don't know Peel all that well, and had no qualms when he was too join Cardiff after a malaise of shit attack coaches, but does his record qualify for this type of gig? I hope its not more years of wasted resources
I am not happy that we have brought Blade back. Shingler is a very similar player anyhow. I would pay the most to the head coach.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

This commentator thinks Josh Turnbull, who is now 33, deserves a summer call up. Pah! :lol:
Theflier

Post by Theflier »

Lots of athletes in that Cardiff back line. Dragons will be hoping for the weather to change
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

What a game eh
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Frodder wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:16 pm What a game eh
Worth watching on catch up?
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:20 pm
Frodder wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:16 pm What a game eh
Worth watching on catch up?
Actually and seriously I'd say yes. Quality was er.....OK but a close match to keep you interested
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

With Jac Morgan, Uzair Cassiem and Ed Kennedy leaving, we moved to bring it Argentinian 33 times capped Tomas Lezana to Y Parc.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Pretty gutted to lose that game, even after a first half where we couldn't go more than a couple of phases without a turnover. Two things that annoyed me - going for the sticks when we had Cardiff down to 13, in their 22 and middle of the pitch, and the Rhys Lawrence red card. It was absolutely a red, so I'm not annoyed by the decision, but the pointlessness of it. Similar to Owen Lane - absolutely nothing achieved, and everything risked.

I've been asking for a while why Ryan doesn't trust Lawrence, and when he came on he scored the try, got a turnover, looked decent, and it looked even more mysterious...then he managed to get a red card and miss a tackle to concede the try in the space of 5 seconds. Perhaps Ryan was on to something there.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Regarding Ellis Jenkins' knee...
"He has a bit of a knee concern," said Young.

"It is not the bad knee, that is perfect, it's the other knee and he has been struggling with it.

"It is minor which we don't need to worry about and he will just rehab it and hopefully come through the next few weeks.
Pleased to hear it. Hope he gets a good run next season.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

So Christ in 2019 says he wants to make a statement with Exeter U20s over next 24 months, and play for Wales in RWC2023. But I guess COVID has cut his dreams a little. Anyone know how he is doing?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... gn=organic
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

LandOTurk wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:15 am So Christ in 2019 says he wants to make a statement with Exeter U20s over next 24 months, and play for Wales in RWC2023. But I guess COVID has cut his dreams a little. Anyone know how he is doing?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... gn=organic
That article is from 2019.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Baker sings up with the Dragons. Surprising given his injury record and the Drags BR resources

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57100248
penguin

Post by penguin »

And Bertranou too. So with Rowlands, Baker and possibly Ioan Davies, depending on what they think of him in this trial period, that's probably us done for recruitment. I'd love to hear we've signed a decent, low cost Kiwi or South African in the front 5 and back up for 10, but seems like a forlorn hope.

Dean Ryan has been complaining about the lack of understanding of funding still.
"We haven't been able to chase and add players because I can't commit to things on budgets that I don't understand.

"It's just impossible to recruit when you are in May and not understanding fully what your parameters of spend are.

"If you are going after key, marquee players, you need to be working at them for six to eight months prior to bringing them in and you can't do that when you don't know what your budgets are.

"Sadly, we are leaving people to very late stages in their contracts, which creates a huge amount of instability to their personal lives.

"It's a very difficult space to sit in.

"My chairman is fully aware of the challenges we face and he is feeding them into PRB (Professional Rugby Board).

"People don't know what their funding is. All you can do is create the core of your group that you need to be stable with."
penguin

Post by penguin »

Dragons: Josh Lewis; Jonah Holmes, Jack Dixon, Aneurin Owen, Rio Dyer; Sam Davies, Gonzalo Bertranou; Greg Bateman, Taylor Davies, Leon Brown, Joe Davies, Ben Carter, Aaron Wainwright (capt), Ollie Griffiths, Dan Baker.

Replacements: Richard Hibbard, Josh Reynolds, Chris Coleman, Joe Maksymiw, Taine Basham, Huw Taylor, Dan Babos, Ioan Davies.

Ospreys: Dan Evans; Luke Morgan, Owen Watkin, Keiran Williams, Dewi Cross; Luke Price, Reuben Morgan-Williams; Gareth Thomas, Sam Parry, Tom Botha, Bradley Davies, Alun Wyn Jones, Ethan Roots, Justin Tipuric (capt), Morgan Morris.

Replacements: Todd Gleave, Nicky Smith, Rhys Henry, Rhys Davies, Will Griffiths, Matthew Aubrey, Joe Hawkins, Max Nagy.
Another good looking backrow for the Dragons.

Some names I don't recognise for the Ospreys...Gleave and Nagy? Anyone know anything about those two?