Should the English Premiership be ring fenced?

All things Rugby
eldanielfire

Should the English Premiership be ring fenced?

Post by eldanielfire »

The argument against ring fencing the Premiership:

https://twitter.com/midi_olympique/stat ... 4680513539

And miss moments like this?

I think I'm against it, but not entirely against partial ringfencing at the Championship level (e.g clubs reviewed after a period to allow developing and improving clubs who deserve to join come in). England has a huge player pool and club aspirations are genuine in places. The game does need to work on making The Championship a more professional league however.
Rowdy

Re: Should the English Premiership be ring fenced?

Post by Rowdy »

I think the English cricketers should be ring-fenced.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Rowdy wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:25 pm I think the English cricketers should be ring-fenced.
No disagreement.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:03 am The argument against ring fencing the Premiership:

https://twitter.com/midi_olympique/stat ... 4680513539

And miss moments like this?

I think I'm against it, but not entirely against partial ringfencing at the Championship level (e.g clubs reviewed after a period to allow developing and improving clubs who deserve to join come in). England has a huge player pool and club aspirations are genuine in places. The game does need to work on making The Championship a more professional league however.
Yes if Saracens don't get promoted.

In all seriousness, I would be minded to make the Championship fully professional and ring fence the Championship (whilst allowing promotion between the Champ and Prem) for a couple of seasons at least.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

It seems to me that it is sport itself and its very essence of open competition that is in need of ring fencing these days. On that ground, I'm against it.

Even in terms of business practice, the concept (if not always the practice) of Anti Trust/Competition Law is generally regarded as uncontroversial. It seems to me that the counter argument is support for Private Equity to monetise sport and move on. Happy to be corrected.

If competition must be skewed, I would prefer it to be skewed for a specific purposes (such as start up-type development, innovation etc) perhaps with tax incentives or even subsidy.

The NFL example strikes me as disingenuous. It has its own culture and incorporates an "equalising" player draft and a salary cap. That is not what I understand the likes of Lansdown (now but not before) and his fellow travellers have in mind.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

I'd go for a play-off between the bottom prem team and the top championship team. When the likes of London Welsh got promoted it might have maintained the purity of the sport, but it sure as hell didn't do the club any favours.

On the other hand you wouldn't want to deny another Exeter their chance at the big time.
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Ring fence the comp and a number of owners will run their club to maximise profit not win.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

shereblue wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:42 pm It seems to me that it is sport itself and its very essence of open competition that is in need of ring fencing these days. On that ground, I'm against it.

Even in terms of business practice, the concept (if not always the practice) of Anti Trust/Competition Law is generally regarded as uncontroversial. It seems to me that the counter argument is support for Private Equity to monetise sport and move on. Happy to be corrected.

If competition must be skewed, I would prefer it to be skewed for a specific purposes (such as start up-type development, innovation etc) perhaps with tax incentives or even subsidy.

The NFL example strikes me as disingenuous. It has its own culture and incorporates an "equalising" player draft and a salary cap. That is not what I understand the likes of Lansdown (now but not before) and his fellow travellers have in mind.
:thumbup:
Working Class Rugger

Post by Working Class Rugger »

I actually think the top 2 divisions should be ringfenced. Keep the Premiership at 12 and invite interest from clubs that can meet set criteria to form a professional Championship. Look to have just 8 teams to start. Do away with the Premiership Cup and replace it with one that involves the Championship teams in this structure. Promotion/relegation between the two would remain.

In time look to grow the Championship to 12.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Working Class Rugger wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:28 am I actually think the top 2 divisions should be ringfenced. Keep the Premiership at 12 and invite interest from clubs that can meet set criteria to form a professional Championship. Look to have just 8 teams to start. Do away with the Premiership Cup and replace it with one that involves the Championship teams in this structure. Promotion/relegation between the two would remain.

In time look to grow the Championship to 12.
I'm down with this idea. Certainly professionalizing the Championship is needed for English rugby in future.