mdaclarke

United Rugby

Post by mdaclarke »

https://www.ft.com/content/a818f21c-10f ... 531e11352b

The new name for the Pro 16

EDIT:

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/south-afri ... mpionship/

South African teams to take part in United Rugby Championship

The new PRO Rugby competition including the four South African teams has been announced as the United Rugby Championship on Tuesday morning.

The United Rugby Championship will kick off in September 2021 as the top clubs from South Africa (the Sharks, Stormers, Lions and Bulls) combine with the PRO14 to create a 16-team league.

This game-changing agreement between SA Rugby and PRO14 Rugby will strengthen their existing partnership and drive greater growth of the game to the benefit of all 16 teams in the league.

The URC will use one league table to rank the teams who will reach the knockout stages and compete to reach the title and become the champions.

The regular season of the United Rugby Championship will take place across 18 rounds with each team’s fixtures comprising six home AND away fixtures against their regional pool opponents and 12 home OR away fixtures against the remaining teams in the league.

One league table will be used to rank teams and after 18 rounds the top-eight sides will qualify for the playoffs. Teams will be seeded from one to eight and will receive home advantage according to their seeding.

A full round of quarter-finals and semi-finals will take place to produce two teams who will qualify for the grand final.

Regional pools

Irish pool: Connacht, Leinster, Munster, Ulster

Welsh pool: Dragons, Cardiff Rugby, Ospreys, Scarlets

South African pool: Sharks, Stormers, Lions and Bulls

Italian & Scottish pool: Benetton Rugby, Edinburgh, Glasgow Warriors, Zebre Rugby Club.

A total of eight teams from the United Rugby Championship will qualify each season for the following season’s European Champions Cup. The balance of teams will participate in the Challenge Cup.

Subject to the finalisation of contract terms with EPCR, South African teams will be eligible to qualify for the European Champions Cup from the 2022-23 season if they have finished in the United Rugby Championship qualification places from the prior season.
Last edited by mdaclarke on Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous 1

Celtic League

Post by Anonymous 1 »

i like it
earl the beaver

Re: United Rugby

Post by earl the beaver »

Sounds shite.
Anonymous 1

Re: Celtic League

Post by Anonymous 1 »

earl the beaver wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:41 am Sounds shite.
harsh
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Sounds like it was named by CVC

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/south-afri ... mpionship/

South African teams to take part in United Rugby Championship

The new PRO Rugby competition including the four South African teams has been announced as the United Rugby Championship on Tuesday morning.

The United Rugby Championship will kick off in September 2021 as the top clubs from South Africa (the Sharks, Stormers, Lions and Bulls) combine with the PRO14 to create a 16-team league.

This game-changing agreement between SA Rugby and PRO14 Rugby will strengthen their existing partnership and drive greater growth of the game to the benefit of all 16 teams in the league.

The URC will use one league table to rank the teams who will reach the knockout stages and compete to reach the title and become the champions.

The regular season of the United Rugby Championship will take place across 18 rounds with each team’s fixtures comprising six home AND away fixtures against their regional pool opponents and 12 home OR away fixtures against the remaining teams in the league.

One league table will be used to rank teams and after 18 rounds the top-eight sides will qualify for the playoffs. Teams will be seeded from one to eight and will receive home advantage according to their seeding.

A full round of quarter-finals and semi-finals will take place to produce two teams who will qualify for the grand final.

Regional pools

Irish pool: Connacht, Leinster, Munster, Ulster

Welsh pool: Dragons, Cardiff Rugby, Ospreys, Scarlets

South African pool: Sharks, Stormers, Lions and Bulls

Italian & Scottish pool: Benetton Rugby, Edinburgh, Glasgow Warriors, Zebre Rugby Club.

A total of eight teams from the United Rugby Championship will qualify each season for the following season’s European Champions Cup. The balance of teams will participate in the Challenge Cup.

Subject to the finalisation of contract terms with EPCR, South African teams will be eligible to qualify for the European Champions Cup from the 2022-23 season if they have finished in the United Rugby Championship qualification places from the prior season.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Seems unfair on the South African and Irish Teams (stronger opponents)
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

mdaclarke wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:44 am Seems unfair on the South African and Irish Teams (stronger opponents)
Fairness is for communists
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

mdaclarke wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:44 am Seems unfair on the South African and Irish Teams (stronger opponents)
Didn't affect the Irish teams in previous years where they played each other twice and the rest of the teams once or twice depending which group they were in. The Irish teams still managed to come out on top. Not sure that'll still be the case though
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Is this the best way forward for this dying league? Let's see.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

AND-y wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:00 am Is this the best way forward for this dying league? Let's see.
The Welsh could ask the English to admit them again into their leagues.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

iarmhiman wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:10 am
AND-y wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:00 am Is this the best way forward for this dying league? Let's see.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lazy Couch potato

Post by Lazy Couch potato »

Are we still getting Welsh tv money ?
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

Horrible name. Pro 16 sounds better or Celtic & Italian & Saffer rugby.
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

I was always opposed to the expansion of the Pro12, but actually think they have ended up with something that could be very exciting. I am not delighted with the structure, but with 16 teams it is probably as good as it will get. It also reduces travel and costs.

I can't wait to see the Sharks coming from a 35 degree C, humid Durban to play in Edinburgh on a cold, wet night in January.

I like it and am keen to see how it turns out.
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

I like the format. Everyone plays everybody else and there is only one log. Top 8 qualify for the European Cup.
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

ZuluBoy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:43 pm I like the format. Everyone plays everybody else and there is only one log. Top 8 qualify for the European Cup.
Not happy about the 8 places for HEC must include at least one from each country.

So quite possibly 4 Saffas, Leinster, Glasgow, Scarlets, Bennetton.

So Munster, Ulster could finish 6and 7 in the league and lose out.

Wank
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Looks like an interesting new comp. Just a word of warning to my Celtic boets;

- Don't let the South Africans use their own referees against visiting teams, unless you want 20-1 penalty counts against your teams to become the norm. Their are fine when officiating neutral teams but are proudly biased and parochial when refereeing their own teams.
- Expect the South Africans to immediately start whingeing about the "unfair" travel despite the fact that they wanted to join a European tournament.
- Whatever you do, shut down any talk of further expansion immediately. The SARU always want more teams, regardless of the comp - that's their default setting. Expect them to demand t least two more teams when your next TV rights deal comes up.
msp.

Post by msp. »

looking forward to this, although expect alot of moaning..
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Edinburgh01 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:26 pm I was always opposed to the expansion of the Pro12, but actually think they have ended up with something that could be very exciting. I am not delighted with the structure, but with 16 teams it is probably as good as it will get. It also reduces travel and costs.

I can't wait to see the Sharks coming from a 35 degree C, humid Durban to play in Edinburgh on a cold, wet night in January.

I like it and am keen to see how it turns out.
Yes, pleasantly surprised about this. Seems set for 5 years. Not sure about having top 4 conf winners an auto place in Europe, especially if that means the comp winner may not qualify for Europe. Just need a summer season now. And more money for the Welsh teams.
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

The format looks alright, should help with crowds at games. Surprised that the Saffa teams could get into the European cup but if Isreal and Kazakhstan can play in UEFA competitions then fair go I guess.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

ZuluBoy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:43 pm I like the format. Everyone plays everybody else and there is only one log. Top 8 qualify for the European Cup.
Got to get the English and French members of EPCR to agree and sign off on it yet!
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

Money talks
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Bogbunny wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:50 pm
Not happy about the 8 places for HEC must include at least one from each country.

Wank
They know this will never work
freddie111

Post by freddie111 »

Wank
That's not the plan.
From https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/57475511.amp:

"At least one side from each of the regional pools will qualify to play among Europe's elite.

This means there will be a guaranteed side from Wales, Ireland and South Africa in the competition, while the leading side out of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Zebre and Benetton will also qualify."

So Benetton would not qualify in your example.

But yes if, for example, you had 4 SA teams and 4 Irish teams in the top 8 then the 7 and 8 position teams would miss out.
That said, it seems unlikely that there wouldn't be one or more of the Scots/Italians in the top 8, and there's usually one Welsh team that does well each season (and maybe they'll start to take it seriously now?) As both of those groups usually have one shit team each season from which to get some extra bonus points it seems even less likely you won't have at least one top 8 team from each group.
Midfieldmaestro

Post by Midfieldmaestro »

Bulls and Sharks already have extended squads of 50-60 players for this.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

SaintK wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:49 pm
Got to get the English and French members of EPCR to agree and sign off on it yet!
Won't be a problem, CVC says "Jump" rugby says "How High?"
nardol

Post by nardol »

dont like saffers playing in Europe
dont like broken home away structure
like the fact wales constant whining becomes less relevant now, if they leave we can revert to a more normalised league structure. if they stop moaning they ofc would be a great addition
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

I am so happy now we got kicked out of Super by the nzru after a feeling of despair right after we got the boot. Feel for the Jaguares who also got the boot
Last edited by ZuLurk on Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Well it's got the Irish into overdrive so there's some good in it 😉
Zico

Post by Zico »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:55 pm

Wank
:lol:

You're never going to admit the spivs f**ked up the Heineken Cup for no gain at all.

Returning to a system where all countries are represented is a massive u-turn but at least it means the game isn't being held to ransom by idealogues.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Zico wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:10 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:55 pm

Wank
:lol:

You're never going to admit the spivs f**ked up the Heineken Cup for no gain at all.

Returning to a system where all countries are represented is a massive u-turn but at least it means the game isn't being held to ransom by idealogues.
You have no idea
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

'Playing in the Pro16 is one thing, but playing rugby in Europe in the HEINEKEN CUP is THE THING'. It's arguably the hardest competition to win, should you lose only one game, you could be out. The competition is staggered over 8 mnths with a final venue selected before the start. When I played my last pro game in the Heineken final we had two Irish teams playing for the cup and even though it was held at Twickenham we had a full house of 82500! and many more watching outside as they could not get a ticket' . Stefan Terblanche (sa Sharks)

About everybody will be playing for it, the French, Irish, Engl, Wales, Scotl, Italy and now SA that far away country with the leaping springbok.
It's arguably higher than the Currie Cup as the format's tougher. It's the Ultimate Prize !
Last edited by ZuLurk on Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Why would the saffas be in the European cup?
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

Zakar wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:07 am Why would the saffas be in the European cup?
Money talks it don't sing and it don't dance
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

ZuluBoy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:08 am
Zakar wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:07 am Why would the saffas be in the European cup?
Money talks it don't sing and it don't dance
This should have been done ages ago.

1. We earn more money compare to Soup rugby.
2. We have the same time zone.
3. Less traveling.
4. Benefit for the Springboks. 50% already play in the NH.
5. Longer tour matches to/from All Blacks/Wallabies
6. Less AC and FleeWee trolling.
7. Much longer and intelligent match threads.

Thanks to Robinson and NZRU for forcing us to go this route.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

I think Richard Cockerill summed it up well when he said it was an incredibly exciting development.

I won't pretend to fully understand Euro qualification aspect but fundamentally it's a side-issue to the competition itself, the winning of which will take on much greater competitive significance (made clearer throughout the season by a single league table).

Just needs the quality of rugby to come through and if it does then dare I say, it might become the strongest league in Europe fairly soon or at least on par with the other two.

The Bennetton v Bulls Cup final on Saturday could be an interesting prelude of what is to come.
CarrotGawks

Post by CarrotGawks »

What's the telly situation next year? BBC Wales have some?/all? of the Welsh matches, or are they sharing them with S4C and Sky? Scots I see no logic to. BBC NI seem to have some of the Ulster matches. Eir are gone? Most of the select games are going to Sky? But RTE/TG4 will have some along with the Welsh/Scots/NI broadcasters?

Fecking clusterfuck. Let me subscribe to a Pro16 website for, say, €80 a year or €10/€12 a month and watch all the games streamed, plus on demand, and not only would I pay but I'm sure my parents would pay as well, even if I'd be called on for tech support.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

CarrotGawks wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:47 pm What's the telly situation next year? BBC Wales have some?/all? of the Welsh matches, or are they sharing them with S4C and Sky? Scots I see no logic to. BBC NI seem to have some of the Ulster matches. Eir are gone? Most of the select games are going to Sky? But RTE/TG4 will have some along with the Welsh/Scots/NI broadcasters?

Fecking clusterfuck. Let me subscribe to a Pro16 website for, say, €80 a year or €10/€12 a month and watch all the games streamed, plus on demand, and not only would I pay but I'm sure my parents would pay as well, even if I'd be called on for tech support.
This might be of interest.
Also, the URC and RTÉ will offer a domestic and international streaming option called URC TV, details TBC this summer.
https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/sta ... 51264?s=20
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

It's more likely that the Irish and English end up in a league together at this point.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

AND-y wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:23 pm
It's more likely that the Irish and English end up in a league together at this point.
It will be great fun hammering the pigdogs every week.