Women's Rugby thread

All things Rugby
Nieghorn

Re: Women's Rugby thread

Post by Nieghorn »

Auckman wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:19 pm https://youtu.be/CFbsYyRNeEE

NZ 7s v Aust 7s in a series of pre-Olympic practice matches @ my old rugby club.

Loving the footwork on what must be upgraded fields because in the dead of winter it used to be a mud bath.

BF7s desperately want that Olympic gold after the failure of Rio.
I was a bit shocked how rubbish Aussie looked at times.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

In the new Free to TV deal for the 6 Nations, all the women's matches will be broadcast on the BBC. Great news!
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

A bit on Maud Muir who sound like she has just been called up to England. She's a fats and explosive tighthead with great hands and can scrummage. She's only 19. Might be the answer to England at tighthead and good back-up/successor/competition to Sarah Bern.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57175259
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Nieghorn wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:30 pm
Auckman wrote: https://youtu.be/CFbsYyRNeEE

NZ 7s v Aust 7s in a series of pre-Olympic practice matches @ my old rugby club.

Loving the footwork on what must be upgraded fields because in the dead of winter it used to be a mud bath.

BF7s desperately want that Olympic gold after the failure of Rio.
I was a bit shocked how rubbish Aussie looked at times.
I’d be surprised if that is their top team. They’re probably mixing and matching combinations.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Actually they were only really missing Elia Green (recovering from injury; will play) and Emma Tonegato (injured; back in Aust).

It was just their first international game in over a year. They won Game 2 with a change-up in teams. NZ sent a B team on and Aust brought back Green and a few newbies. They got Dalton from AFL-W (women’s Aust football).
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

This is the sort of Try by Jess Breech I always feel England should work more from their lineout dominance:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Premier15s/s ... 0571848709
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Allianz Premier 15s
@Premier15s
·
2h
🏟 Kingsholm Stadium
🗓 Sunday 30 May
Alarm clock 16:00 BST
🎟 http://bit.ly/PrmFinalTkts
Television http://premier15s.com /
@btsport 1 HD & App
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Teams for the final@

Interesting, between the packs Quins front 5 should be stronger, but Sarries back row is far smarter and superior IMO. No coincidence Sarries have their bulkiest pack out there more or less to match Quins.

In theory Quins backs are superior as individuals, but I can't help think that Sarries players tend to be better gelled and know when to strike or absorb things better. Also smarter readers of the game, better in the breakdown and don't have to work so hard to get points as they punish opposition mistakes and rip into them then their energy or focus levels are down.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Harlequins win the Premier XV final on the 3rd time of asking. Great for them and the game as Quins deserve huge credit for their embrace and promotion of their Women's team.

Also it's all about moments like this that make sport so special :thumbup: :

https://twitter.com/Premier15s/status/1 ... 5395256323
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Some thoughts:

Leanne Riley's kicking and passing was superb. She's developed real zip to her passes and delivers them quickly. her pressure on the kicker was also superb. I'm of the opinion she is becoming the best back in the world right now.

Zoe Harrison, I've rated her, but she has for England and in todays final not executed in big or pressure moments. Considering her kicks are a big part of her game, she was terrible. Out on the full, charge down and not even making touch in the first half. On the other hand Riley's and Tuima's kicking was on point.

I really like where Quins going in their attach this season. It's far more crisp and effective in creating space and an attacking platform. Despite it all being forward tries. Their backline is ticking well this season. Their defense was huge when down to 13. Shaunagh Brown was the best forward on the pitch and got bigger and bigger as the game went on. Big carries, try saver getting under the ball, good turnovers, big scrums, everywhere in the 2nd half.

Also the ref was top notch. I've praise Sarah Cox before. She's very good today for a half but then a bit happy in the 2nd, given the leeway Saracens had in the first. . Didn't let anyone get away with shenanigans at the breakdown or the maul. Interesting Saracens go from domaining games via the breakdown to not dealing with a ref consistently strict very well. Likewise Harlequins have improved in the breakdown, slowed ball down well and without taking the piss and responded to the ref calls well.

All in all, a game where you could see Harlequins wanted it so much more.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

Well done Aylesford. Harlequins my arse
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Dobbin wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:15 am Well done Aylesford. Harlequins my arse
Aylesford don't deserve credit here. Aylesford wanted rid of their Women's team (despite them being reigning Champions when Quins took over), Quins wanted to invest in the Women's game.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

They deserve more credit than Quins who did nothing more than take over a champion team. I suspect they saw the writing on the wall in terms of allocation of places in the top league. It'll soon be a mirror of the men's prem.

I have a lot of respect for Saracens and Wasps who have been supporting the women's game since long before it was fashionable. Johnny come latelys like Quins, not so much.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

eldanielfire wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:13 pm Some thoughts:

Leanne Riley's kicking and passing was superb. She's developed real zip to her passes and delivers them quickly. her pressure on the kicker was also superb. I'm of the opinion she is becoming the best back in the world right now.

Zoe Harrison, I've rated her, but she has for England and in todays final not executed in big or pressure moments. Considering her kicks are a big part of her game, she was terrible. Out on the full, charge down and not even making touch in the first half. On the other hand Riley's and Tuima's kicking was on point.

I really like where Quins going in their attach this season. It's far more crisp and effective in creating space and an attacking platform. Despite it all being forward tries. Their backline is ticking well this season. Their defense was huge when down to 13. Shaunagh Brown was the best forward on the pitch and got bigger and bigger as the game went on. Big carries, try saver getting under the ball, good turnovers, big scrums, everywhere in the 2nd half.

Also the ref was top notch. I've praise Sarah Cox before. She's very good today for a half but then a bit happy in the 2nd, given the leeway Saracens had in the first. . Didn't let anyone get away with shenanigans at the breakdown or the maul. Interesting Saracens go from domaining games via the breakdown to not dealing with a ref consistently strict very well. Likewise Harlequins have improved in the breakdown, slowed ball down well and without taking the piss and responded to the ref calls well.

All in all, a game where you could see Harlequins wanted it so much more.
I thought sarries were going to take it at the end. Agree that Brown was good, but was impressed with De Goede, as well as the English forwards on both teams.
Could have gone either way, really. Sarries ladies should have gone wider more often.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Dobbin wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:30 am They deserve more credit than Quins who did nothing more than take over a champion team. I suspect they saw the writing on the wall in terms of allocation of places in the top league. It'll soon be a mirror of the men's prem.

I have a lot of respect for Saracens and Wasps who have been supporting the women's game since long before it was fashionable. Johnny come latelys like Quins, not so much.
You're stating factually untrue things here. Harlequins established their women's team 2 years before Aylesford. It just wasn't in the elite. They didn't start their women's side with the acquisition of Aylesford program and players. Yes Aylesford was a superb women's team, but Aylesford where shopping the women's team around for a while before Quins took it and saw the opportunity to accelerate their presence in the elite of the women's game and generated the biggest club fanbase around. I more respect Thurrock and Litchfield who failed to get into the Premier XVs but are still committed to women's rugby than Aylesford who shopped them off.

I do think your Criticisms should be more valid against teams like Loughborough and even Exeter who had no women's teams, until it was more fashionable. Loughborough got in without even having established a women's team at the time of their entry and still failed to play all the reserve fixtures in their first season after that. The head of the whole process at the RFU was a Loughborough man, take form that what you will.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

message #2527204 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:50 am

I thought sarries were going to take it at the end. Agree that Brown was good, but was impressed with De Goede, as well as the English forwards on both teams.
Could have gone either way, really. Sarries ladies should have gone wider more often.
Not for the first time Sarries would have taken it near the end. Quins defense was far to good and clever as well. I don't think any forward on Quins had a bad game, Sarries pack was good but ill disciplined in the first half. I do think the biggest difference was the half backs and Quins playing smarter. Riley was devastating at 9 all game, possible the best I've ever seen her play and Emily Scott has really grown on me.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

Two whole years? Wow.

If you think a small club at the arse end of nowhere wasn't tipped the wink that the Premier 15s weren't going to tolerate a small club at the arse end of nowhere taking one of its precious places, you're even more naive than usual. Or, worse, a Quin.

Well done Aylesford, whose women's team was developed for a lot longer than two seasons.
message #2527204

Dobbin wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:14 am Two whole years? Wow.

If you think a small club at the arse end of nowhere wasn't tipped the wink that the Premier 15s weren't going to tolerate a small club at the arse end of nowhere taking one of its precious places, you're even more naive than usual. Or, worse, a Quin.

Well done Aylesford, whose women's team was developed for a lot longer than two seasons.
It does make sense that the facilities and player development/coaching expertise currently available to premiership clubs is used to expand the women's game. Shame for the smaller clubs - but that's the same in the men's game too, and always has been. The better players want to play for the bigger clubs.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

The women's game has mostly a short history. But regardless Quins have supported the women's game for longer than Saracens which contradicts what you said.

Firwood Waterloo in Blundell Sands was one of the inaugural sides in the Premier XVs and weren't even a top flight women's team. Likewise much of the Quins team are no longer the Aylesford side they inherited. You seem to be taking the fact you may have got a few things wrong by doubling down here.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

message #2527204 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:57 am

It does make sense that the facilities and player development/coaching expertise currently available to premiership clubs is used to expand the women's game. Shame for the smaller clubs - but that's the same in the men's game too, and always has been. The better players want to play for the bigger clubs.
I understand it. My big gripe is the Loughborough situation, where they clearly didn't fulfil the criteria to play the league and didn't even have a team. Though IMO the RFU should give more support to the Championship sides (both men and women really) to ensure a quality wide base to the game and have coaches and players be able to develop in quality environments if not playing for a Premiership side.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

Quins have supported the women's game for longer than Saracens
Saracens womens team was formed in 1989. They along with the likes of Wasps and Richmond were trailblazers for the elite women's game.
much of the Quins team are no longer the Aylesford side they inherited
They are in the position they are because of that inheritance. Quins didn't suddenly magic a title contending side up out of nothing. They were bumping around doing nothing of much substance for years and then took over a champion team. You're delusional if you think they don't owe the larger part of their success to what came before.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Dobbin wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:32 pm
Quins have supported the women's game for longer than Saracens
Saracens womens team was formed in 1989. They along with the likes of Wasps and Richmond were trailblazers for the elite women's game.
I'm talking about the support given there in the Premier XVs. Sarries women may have existed, but only got access the men's support after they won the Premier XV league. Quins were already doing that. Hence the credit I gave that to them. Early trailblazers is certainly not the only criteria for contributing to the women's game.

much of the Quins team are no longer the Aylesford side they inherited
They are in the position they are because of that inheritance. Quins didn't suddenly magic a title contending side up out of nothing. They were bumping around doing nothing of much substance for years and then took over a champion team. You're delusional if you think they don't owe the larger part of their success to what came before.
I've not refuted that in any way. Why you have to resort to making it personal via making arguments I have never actually posted is bizarre.

However I've not tried to credit Quins with being early trailblazers for the Women's game. Likewise We can discuss how Sarries and Wasps also accumulated the assets of other teams in the formation of the Premier XVs as well. At the end of the day Aylesford wanted rid of their women's team. Quins wanted to invest in theirs and an obvious accommodation was made.

This champion team is still Quins own product, coaches not from Aylesford, most players not from there either. All you've done is discredit Quins contribution and all you have to do it was your own invented speculation on why Aylesford were getting rid of their team. Which doesn't even fit the facts as the deal occurred before Aylesford were even champions (and Aylesford themselves nabbed players like Burford from other teams), hence why the team played in Quins colours before the XVs league was were even out.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

I've not refuted that in any way.
Aylesford don't deserve credit here.
:roll:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Dobbin wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:34 pm
I've not refuted that in any way.
Aylesford don't deserve credit here.
:roll:
Nice of you to remove context. I was pointing out Quins won here, not Aylesford as you claimed. pointing out Aylesford folded their team years ago. So so don't exactly deserve credit for the league championship in 2021 do they? Which is what you claimed.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

I'll give you this - the team that won yesterday had Harlequins jerseys on. Congratulations on wearing Harlequins jerseys, ladies.

Some people value fighting through the league structure, continuous improvement season after season, ups and downs, near misses and ultimate glory.

But there's definitely something to be said for wearing Harlequins jerseys as well.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Dobbin wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:58 pm
Some people value fighting through the league structure, continuous improvement season after season, ups and downs, near misses and ultimate glory.

You have to have a team and not shut it down and fob it off to others if you want to do that.
Dobbin

Post by Dobbin »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:14 pm
Dobbin wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:58 pm

You have to have a team and not shut it down and fob it off to others if you want to do that.
Aylesford did it, didn't they? Which is more than Quins managed in all their years of medocrity before buying a franchise place.

So I say again, well done Aylesford.
Rugbygirl

Post by Rugbygirl »

Dobbin wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:20 pm
Aylesford did it, didn't they? Which is more than Quins managed in all their years of medocrity before buying a franchise place.

When Aylesford won the premiership, they had already been effectively taken over by Harlequins.

Whatever your opinions on the rights or wrongs of Harlequins' entry into the women's top flight (and plenty of people actually involved in the women's prem at the time weren't particularly thrilled with it either), credit where it's due, they really invested in their women's set up. When it's come to coaching, facilities, player support and promoting the women's game, they've fronted up. There is a reason that the play off final has been Saracens v Harlequins for three years on the bounce, and you're kidding yourself if you think they would have managed this if they were still Aylesford.

Harlequins have done a lot for the women's game, especially in terms of promotion. For example, at the end of 2019, they arranged for their women's side to play an exhibition match against Leinster at Twickenham as a double header with the men who were playing Leicester. There was also a game (I think against Richmond at the Stoop) which they really heavily promoted with the express aim of attracting a record crowd and increasing reach. In my view, since they took over Aylesford and 'bought their franchise place' they've done more for the modern women's game than a lot of other clubs have in that time.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Rugbygirl wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:03 pm
Dobbin wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:20 pm

When Aylesford won the premiership, they had already been effectively taken over by Harlequins.

Whatever your opinions on the rights or wrongs of Harlequins' entry into the women's top flight (and plenty of people actually involved in the women's prem at the time weren't particularly thrilled with it either), credit where it's due, they really invested in their women's set up. When it's come to coaching, facilities, player support and promoting the women's game, they've fronted up. There is a reason that the play off final has been Saracens v Harlequins for three years on the bounce, and you're kidding yourself if you think they would have managed this if they were still Aylesford.

Harlequins have done a lot for the women's game, especially in terms of promotion. For example, at the end of 2019, they arranged for their women's side to play an exhibition match against Leinster at Twickenham as a double header with the men who were playing Leicester. There was also a game (I think against Richmond at the Stoop) which they really heavily promoted with the express aim of attracting a record crowd and increasing reach. In my view, since they took over Aylesford and 'bought their franchise place' they've done more for the modern women's game than a lot of other clubs have in that time.
All of this! :thumbup:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Challenge Cup final if you're into League:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/rugby-league/57049459

The semi I Watched last week:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/rugby-league/57148187
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

I've said for a few years, Bristol have a very good team and are potential challengers to the top 4. Big mobile pack, lost of young players, multiple England internationals and top quality players who are physical as well.

It looks like they have nabbed Ampthill's men's coach, whose been very successful bringing them to the Championship and have nabbed his wife on top, Abby Ward, which is a big gain too. Things could be happening there:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57497742

Abbie Ward: Bristol sign Harlequins and England lock

England lock Abbie Ward has agreed to join Bristol Bears Women next season after deciding to leave Premier 15s champions Harlequins.

Ward, 28, was a key part of their first title win including in the 25-17 final win against Saracens last month.

The second row scored nine tries last season and has been capped 46 times for the Red Roses.

"I'm excited to start a new chapter in my playing career at Bristol Bears Women," Ward said.

Ward joins her husband Dave at Bristol after he left his role as forwards coach at Championship side Ampthill in April to become the Bears women's new head coach.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

I called it ... thought this would kickstart a bunch of "Something special's happening at Bristol..." moves. Leanne Riley's joining.

https://twitter.com/BristolBearsW/statu ... 9114142722
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Nieghorn wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:30 pm I called it ... thought this would kickstart a bunch of "Something special's happening at Bristol..." moves. Leanne Riley's joining.

It is. Interesting 2 major players leaving Harlequins to join Bristol. I've been saying Bristol are sleeping giants and are lacking something in their program for 4 years.

I thought when Gary Street left that there was something not quite right at Harlequins. Karen Finlay is obviously left now as well. Now many of them left Richmond previously to be with Karen. I wonder if despite winning the league, there are more issues bubbling under the surface that success has wallpapered over.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

The GB women looking great in the heat:

https://twitter.com/RugbySaracens/statu ... 3608590338

message #2527204

Nieghorn wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:30 pm I called it ... thought this would kickstart a bunch of "Something special's happening at Bristol..." moves. Leanne Riley's joining.

Bristol are the new saracens.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Wales get rid of inexperienced test coach with zilch XV experience from a country not exactly teeming with rugby knowledge. Surprise surprise.

https://twitter.com/WelshRugbyUnion/sta ... 5327973382
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:48 pm The GB women looking great in the heat:

Odds on them shaking up the Kiwi, Aussie (and Canada?) stranglehold on the top three spots?
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Nieghorn wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:19 am
eldanielfire wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:48 pm The GB women looking great in the heat:

Odds on them shaking up the Kiwi, Aussie (and Canada?) stranglehold on the top three spots?
Jasmine Joyce is a wonderful runner. Scoring 4 tries here for Barbarians v USA. Good game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffmReZiG-TE
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

What the odds should be? Very close!

Or what the actually reality is when they train with a focus on doing the right sort of rucks in Sevens? Meh!
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

LandOTurk wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:03 am

Jasmine Joyce is a wonderful runner. Scoring 4 tries here for Barbarians v USA. Good game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffmReZiG-TE
World class! And her cover defense is very, very good, which you don't expect given her size.