Aussies & Cantabs - what are you doing this Saturday evening?

All things Rugby
Zakar

Re: Aussies - what are you doing this Saturday evening?

Post by Zakar »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:34 am I used to go for a big bike ride on Saturdays and end up at Drummoyne watching all the bouncers prop :lol:
To be honest, these days some of the top div 1 subbies teams are probably better than the bottom Shute shield teams.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Zakar wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:00 am
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:34 am I used to go for a big bike ride on Saturdays and end up at Drummoyne watching all the bouncers prop :lol:
To be honest, these days some of the top div 1 subbies teams are probably better than the bottom Shute shield teams.
That's good to hear.

Both better standard than the Waratah's then? :lol:
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:42 am
That's good to hear.

Both better standard than the Waratah's then? :lol:
Better food selection at the ground, that's for sure.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Cries in SuperDry and Vili's Pies x(
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

shanky wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:26 am I’m thinking an early supper and a spot of light Youtubing

Since there’s not much on

Anyone else?
Ah, the exciting big city lifestyle we hear so much about. I can but look on with envy from my rural backwater.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Fat Old Git wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:42 am
shanky wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:26 am I’m thinking an early supper and a spot of light Youtubing

Anyone else?
Ah, the exciting big city lifestyle we hear so much about. I can but look on with envy from my rural backwater.
Sydney is more of a Sunday morning brunch locale, where you gather at a good cafe to chat about property, renovations, meal planning, your boat and probably back to the property market again.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Zakar wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:06 am

Anyone else?
Sydney is more of a Sunday morning brunch locale, where you gather at a good cafe to chat about property, renovations, meal planning, your boat and probably back to the property market again.
You fight the traffic, fight for a parking spot, fight pedestrians with your kevlar drive belt single speed ebike for a share of the footpath, you fight the horde for a seat at said cafe, you fight for the wait staffs' attention over the loud protestations of the sweaty fat slapper with the thinning hair who demands sole loading rights for its carb addiction, you fight the flies for the crumbs of pastry you just paid the average minimum wage for, you fight the shit in the air so your lungs don't wither and give up in disgust and you sit back and slap yourselves about and proudly declare you're living the dream.
Fat Old Git

Re: Aussies & Cantabs - what are you doing this Saturday evening?

Post by Fat Old Git »

Sydney, so expensive residents have to combine meals in order to keep cost down. :((
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

guy smiley wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:15 am
Zakar wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:06 am

Anyone else?
You fight the traffic, fight for a parking spot, fight pedestrians with your kevlar drive belt single speed ebike for a share of the footpath, you fight the horde for a seat at said cafe, you fight for the wait staffs' attention over the loud protestations of the sweaty fat slapper with the thinning hair who demands sole loading rights for its carb addiction, you fight the flies for the crumbs of pastry you just paid the average minimum wage for, you fight the shit in the air so your lungs don't wither and give up in disgust and you sit back and slap yourselves about and proudly declare you're living the dream.
Geeze Perth sounds grim.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

It probably is.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

C*nt of a thread, what about us poor Hurricane region fans ... fudge you all.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Having already stashed away the Player(s) of the Year trophy, i don't think Crusaders fans will be too worried about who wins Most Improved.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Thomas wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:53 am
shanky wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:36 am
Thomas wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:26 am Probably mosey on down to the rugby club and watch the young blokes run around. Have a couple of tins and come home and fire up the fire pit. Gonna grill some steaks as big as my head on the coals.
Good idea

How do you reckon the best way to get the fire pit going is?

Do you go softwood first? Or straight to the hardwood?
I obviously start with kindling 4, assorted Chinese newspapers and then small slivers of hardwood. I find that shit is hard to get lit but it gives you amazing coals. Once I have a nice blaze going I'll put on some hardwood logs and then some assorted garden waste so my fuckhead neighbours get a good fucken waft of smoke inside their house. Got an 18 month old kelpie and that's her favourite thing to do...help me get palm fronds and shit.

Once I'm happy with the fire I'll add some more logs and get stuck into a tin or two. Then rake the coals into zones for cooking. I've found grilling with a steak about 3 fingers thick gets the best results. You get a great char and crust but it's still medium rare in the middle. Might even do some corn as well. Who knows.
f**king hell I'm sweating thinking of the heat of your Brisbane backyard amongst this furnace, even in June.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Wignu wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:17 am C*nt of a thread, what about us poor Hurricane region fans ... fudge you all.
:lol:
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

I shall be knitting a 'Blues 2021 TransTasman Champions' cardigan, with matching mittens ala Bernie Sanders. That's how I roll 8)
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

shanky wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:34 am
Wignu wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:17 am C*nt of a thread, what about us poor Hurricane region fans ... fudge you all.
:lol:
Mofo I will Cut you!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:59 am
Thomas wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:53 am
shanky wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:36 am
Thomas wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:26 am Probably mosey on down to the rugby club and watch the young blokes run around. Have a couple of tins and come home and fire up the fire pit. Gonna grill some steaks as big as my head on the coals.
Good idea

How do you reckon the best way to get the fire pit going is?

Do you go softwood first? Or straight to the hardwood?
I obviously start with kindling 4, assorted Chinese newspapers and then small slivers of hardwood. I find that shit is hard to get lit but it gives you amazing coals. Once I have a nice blaze going I'll put on some hardwood logs and then some assorted garden waste so my fuckhead neighbours get a good fucken waft of smoke inside their house. Got an 18 month old kelpie and that's her favourite thing to do...help me get palm fronds and shit.

Once I'm happy with the fire I'll add some more logs and get stuck into a tin or two. Then rake the coals into zones for cooking. I've found grilling with a steak about 3 fingers thick gets the best results. You get a great char and crust but it's still medium rare in the middle. Might even do some corn as well. Who knows.
f**king hell I'm sweating thinking of the heat of your Brisbane backyard amongst this furnace, even in June.
Temperature will get down to about 6 degrees tonight. There's a bit of a westerly blowing too which drops it down a bit.

Of course, it will be 22 today which is lovely but it sure does get brisk at night.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Stan has a great library of Super Rugby matches so I thought I'd watch the last five Super Rugby finals which were won by the Crusaders. And if I have time after that I might start watching some of the previous seven finals that the Crusaders won prior to the current 5 peat. Then I'll report back to the forum on which of the 12 Crusaders SR finals wins was the most impressive.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Randwick are scheduled to play Parramatta today. Parramatta can only field two teams: a first grade side, and a first grade colts side. They are supposed to be able to field five senior teams, and three Colts sides.

Sad days indeed,
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

wamberal wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:05 am
Randwick are scheduled to play Parramatta today. Parramatta can only field two teams: a first grade side, and a first grade colts side. They are supposed to be able to field five senior teams, and three Colts sides.

Sad days indeed,
The Waratahs just posted a staggering multi-million dollar profit and have millions of dollars in the bank so hopefully some of that money will be redirected towards helping struggling clubs.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Sad days indeed,
Its weird, because Blue Mountains can play 5 grades plus colts, and St Pats (strathfield) can play 4 grades plus colts. What are Parramatta and Penrith doing wrong? I know a lot of their best players get pinched.

I actually think if Shute Shields want to be semi pro, they need to separate 1st grade (and maybe 1st colts) from the structure.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:08 am
The Waratahs just posted a staggering multi-million dollar profit and have millions of dollars in the bank so hopefully some of that money will be redirected towards helping struggling clubs.
There is a move by the "viable" Shute Shield clubs (except for my club, Eastwood) to kick the three stragglers - West Harbour, Parramatta, and Penrith - out of the competition.

Lots of money would help save them, of course. But genuine community support for the game would be a lot better,
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:56 pm Stan has a great library of Super Rugby matches so I thought I'd watch the last five Super Rugby finals which were won by the Crusaders. And if I have time after that I might start watching some of the previous seven finals that the Crusaders won prior to the current 5 peat. Then I'll report back to the forum on which of the 12 Crusaders SR finals wins was the most impressive.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:30 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:56 pm Stan has a great library of Super Rugby matches so I thought I'd watch the last five Super Rugby finals which were won by the Crusaders. And if I have time after that I might start watching some of the previous seven finals that the Crusaders won prior to the current 5 peat. Then I'll report back to the forum on which of the 12 Crusaders SR finals wins was the most impressive.
:lol: :lol:

Altho’ it may not be in the sprit of this fred, gotta say I will def. be watching the TT final this evening.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

I'm with mungo -- definitely watching the match before hopefully watching the WTC final.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Well the rainbow cup final was excellent :thumbup:
grievous

Post by grievous »

Zakar wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:13 am

Sad days indeed,
Its weird, because Blue Mountains can play 5 grades plus colts, and St Pats (strathfield) can play 4 grades plus colts. What are Parramatta and Penrith doing wrong? I know a lot of their best players get pinched.

I actually think if Shute Shields want to be semi pro, they need to separate 1st grade (and maybe 1st colts) from the structure.
Some genuine support from headquarters would help.
Maybe a draft amongst clubs.
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Ah well......with that result last night in Ork.......will just have to live with the fact that it took a Crusader and a Hurricane to guide them over the line.......