New British News channels? One goooonnnnne

All things Rugby
C69

Re: New British News channels? One goooonnnnne

Post by C69 »

eldanielfire wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:11 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:57 am :? Left wing criticisms of what? When do you ever criticise anything from a left wing standpoint? 9/10ths of your political meanderings are exclusively critical of Starmer's Labour, Corbyn's Labour, and any and all left wing, socially conscious activists.

You claim to be some sort of white knight defender of the oppressed but literally everything you post is through a right wing lens.
You do realsie that huge number of Starmer and Corbyn's critics are from inside the Labour party? :lol: Or why I spent years supporting Corbyn and Labour's 2017 manifesto as the best in my life time? Also Is that why I have years of Bernie Sanders support? Or the fact I'm nortorious for attacking

I'll also point out many on the left is catching onto my Starmer Criticism at how useless and fake he is and how he won't win Labour power going as he has.

You two twins are just more hysterical wannbe trolls. You your self very quickly switch to just supporting bigoted positions just to attack posters and largely because you are pretty clueless. Your life dominating obsession with other posters is sad.
And breathe, here endeth the lesson
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

C69 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:38 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:11 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:57 am :? Left wing criticisms of what? When do you ever criticise anything from a left wing standpoint? 9/10ths of your political meanderings are exclusively critical of Starmer's Labour, Corbyn's Labour, and any and all left wing, socially conscious activists.

You claim to be some sort of white knight defender of the oppressed but literally everything you post is through a right wing lens.
You do realsie that huge number of Starmer and Corbyn's critics are from inside the Labour party? :lol: Or why I spent years supporting Corbyn and Labour's 2017 manifesto as the best in my life time? Also Is that why I have years of Bernie Sanders support? Or the fact I'm nortorious for attacking

I'll also point out many on the left is catching onto my Starmer Criticism at how useless and fake he is and how he won't win Labour power going as he has.

You two twins are just more hysterical wannbe trolls. You your self very quickly switch to just supporting bigoted positions just to attack posters and largely because you are pretty clueless. Your life dominating obsession with other posters is sad.
posting.php?mode=quote&f=3&p=6938201#
And breathe, here endeth the lesson
:thumbup: :nod:
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Seen both Rebecca Long Bailey and Alistair Carmichael on GB News (as well as a few Tory MPs) so the channel is not being boycotted by the Lib Dems or Labour

EDIT: Also had Warren Gatland on for at least half an hour.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

mdaclarke wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:00 pm Seen both Rebecca Long Bailey and Alistair Carmichael on GB News (as well as a few Tory MPs) so the channel is not being boycotted by the Lib Dems or Labour

EDIT: Also had Warren Gatland on for at least half an hour.
BOYCOTT THE LIONS! :x

I suspect GB News will now be seen as a normal TV News channel going forward. It's neither spread hate, been a Fox News style partisan mouth piece and Andrew Neil's grilling of Sunak shows he's still aiming to be tough on all sides.

It seems the hysterics about how this will be a hateful right wing platform was just that, hysterics and probably always knowingly disingenuous claims in the first place. If it was serious, it only succeeded in making GB News a success and literally keep it trending for w hole week. Which of course only draws people ina nd ensures their social media managers will get their massive bonus.

In fact I'm still not entirely unconvinced Brillo's declarations of it being "anti-woke" for so long where purposely being a red flag for the Bull for social justice mob to promote it. It's viewers are still mostly ABC1 (as most freeview and satellite channels are) and could well be all hate watchers and defenders.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

So this is the news that EDF is advocating for now? Christ what a bellend
The most striking thing about GB News, the television news channel that launched this month, is not how original it is, but how familiar it feels. For a project that is supposed to be taking a “fresh approach” to the news, according to its founder Andrew Neil, the only novelty lies in the fact that it’s on television: after watching it this past week, my impression is that the channel is essentially a combination of the sensationalism of the print tabloid press and the ill-temperedness of phone-in radio.

That said, the medium does lend itself to ranting and provocation, perhaps more than print or radio. To sustain 24 hours of TV with little original news gathering and a lot of chat between anchors and guests, the tone needs to be constantly pitched at a high note of something: outrage, frustration, dolefulness. The result is a circus of fractious energy and unpredictable monologues. One gets the sense that anchors don’t quite know how they are going to finish a sentence once they start it off.

But finishing a thought is not really the point of GB News. The project is building on the political energy that is already out there, rather than generating it. GB News has gathered up the material of grievance that has been floating around for years. That material, from Brexit-based resentment against the EU to anti-“wokeness” and all the positions associated with it – hostility to immigration, racial equality movements, “cancel culture” and lockdowns – is an inexhaustible source of cheap content.

Neil’s show has a slot called “Woke Watch”. In the first episode, he said the police had become more like “social workers in uniform, guardians of political correctness, arbiters of our thoughts”, who seemed to “spend more time policing what we post on Twitter” than patrolling the streets. Another GB News presenter, Andrew Doyle, then turns up and agrees with Neil.

It seems that not a lot of care has gone into how that content is pulled together, but slickness isn’t the point either. The purpose is to give these broadly rightwing sentiments a full-time home of their own. GB News’s motto might as well be “You’re in our house now”. In his launch speech, Neil declared that GB News would not “slavishly follow the existing news agenda”, that it was not a conventional news bulletin provider but a channel built “round passionate presenters with character, flair, attitude, opinion”. He declared that the channel had a clear aim, which was to “puncture” the pomposity of elites, and expose “their growing promotion of cancel culture for the threat to free speech and democracy that it is”.

There is a real appetite for such an offering: the ratings so far are good. This shouldn’t be surprising. GB News is a natural extension of the increasing popularity of a sort of conservative grievance politics, more concerned about what pictures students have on their walls than how the economy works or the outcomes of public policy. It is presented as an institution built in exile, forced out from a mainstream, but the reality is that its politics is so popular and handsomely backed by funders that it has outgrown its space in the mainstream broadcast world.

When those political views are rehoused away from the production standards of, say, the BBC, the end result looks impossible to take seriously. In the past week, cameras and mics failed on such a regular basis that a whole Twitter account dedicated to the “fails” was set up. A guest has tried to clarify, for some reason, that Jeffrey Epstein was an “ephebophile” rather than a paedophile; an anchor claimed that the police couldn’t do their jobs if they were incapacitated by taking the knee. This is not intelligent stuff. But it would be a mistake to write it off as a rickety project that will be sunk by its poor quality. It may be plagued by comedic technical issues, but it is entirely serious.

Regulated by Ofcom, the channel is keen to emphasise that it is committed to balance, but its programming is built around opinionated personalities whose selling point is often their “straight talking” and “sharp takes”. Reporters make what appear to be random appearances during the commentary, opinion and discussion, but it seems like their purpose is to furnish more talking points rather than to break ignored stories. Steadily a political worldview reveals itself. Dan Wootton, who has a 9pm show, wrote that “so many debates about thorny issues have been shut down in the broadcast media, where woke producers proudly make decisions on what stories should be covered”. He and his colleagues are part of a “broadcasting revolution in the UK, where presenters like me are honest about what we believe”. One of his first acts in that revolution was to quote from an article in the Sun, which asked “whether there is a link between lockdown and the government’s drastic zero-emissions green agenda”.

And here we come to the risk of a common mistake: concluding that this is a fake news network that should be ignored, because the only way it achieves traction is via the friction of controversy, reaction and virality. But just because it appears not to be credible or competent doesn’t mean that it is not viable or that it won’t corrode our political culture further. You might not be watching, but other people are, and will.

But neither should we take the bait entirely, and become engulfed in the reactionary outrage that feeds the sort of polarisation upon which such ventures thrive. GB News is planted in a soil that has already been tilled by the rightwing press. In power is a government that is only too happy to comment on and nourish culture-war confections, giving such stories a stamp of legitimacy. As the days and months pass, the GB News audience will be slowly radicalised, helping to push Boris Johnson’s post-Brexit England even further to the right. It is incumbent on us to pay attention. Call it GB News Watch.

Nesrine Malik is a Guardian columnist
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

I would bet folding money that GB News is far far more representative of public opinion than the Guardian.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

mdaclarke wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:48 am I would bet folding money that GB News is far far more representative of public opinion than the Guardian.
Is that the stated goal of GB News? That a wider range of opinion is not represented on TV like it used to be and even if you disagree with it it should be engaged and debated, not hidden away. It's not a surprise that those of an intolerant and illiberal bent who can't or won't engage in good faith discussion in recent years went a bit hysterical over it.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:55 am
mdaclarke wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:48 am I would bet folding money that GB News is far far more representative of public opinion than the Guardian.
Is that the stated goal of GB News? That a wider range of opinion is not represented on TV like it used to be and even if you disagree with it it should be engaged and debated, not hidden away. It's not a surprise that those of an intolerant and illiberal bent who can't or won't engage in good faith discussion in recent years went a bit hysterical over it.
The reaction of the Guardian and Stop Funding "hate" crowd shows just how intolerant self named "progressives" are towards diversity of opinion.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

:lol:

Clarkey the saffa sociology professor (I can only assume) treating us with his reading of UK society again.
CarrotGawks

Post by CarrotGawks »

"You're a moron and your views are moronic."
— Oh! Cancelling me are you? Afraid of interlectual and well rounded debate! Typical of the so-called "tolerant" liberals.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

mdaclarke wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:58 am
The reaction of the Guardian and Stop Funding "hate" crowd shows just how intolerant self named "progressives" are towards diversity of opinion.
If only it was called GB Opinion, eh?
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

shereblue wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:55 am
:nod:
goose81

Post by goose81 »

The guardian and GB news are both as bad as each other tbh.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

Muttonbirds wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:08 am
shereblue wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:55 am
Is that the stated goal of GB News? Did you say "NEWS" :lol: That a wider range of opinion is not represented on TV like it used to be and even if you disagree with it it should be engaged and debated, not hidden away. It's not a surprise that those of an intolerant and illiberal bent who can't or won't engage in good faith discussion in recent years went a bit hysterical over it.
:nod:
Andrew Neil: They said it couldn't be done!

Me [bubble caption]: Crikey, Alex Honold's free climb of El Capitan, Japan beating the Boks in the RWC, Ireland's Kevin O'Brien blasting the fastest century in one day world cup cricket to beat England, someone's beaten the 320km in 24 hours ultramarathon record, Lib Dems taken Chesham and Amersham, England has beaten Germany on penalties?

Andrew Neil: The UK has completed a trade deal with Australia just 18 months after leaving the EU
[ie "in principle" only, unpublished naturally and estimated by HMG to boost UK GDP by £500 million over 15 years - equivalent to the investment return made by the Church Commissioners in a single year]

Me: Well, beat me with a feather
Newsome

Post by Newsome »

and?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Newsome wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:57 am
and?
I'm guessing you picked this reply over your other two options which where "Sooooo?" or "Your mum!"
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

and?
So was Hitler compared to the Communists

Does MDAC understand that being far, far more representative of public opinion does not make something any less bad than a shitty alternative?
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

shereblue wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:51 am
and?

Does MDAC understand that being far, far more representative of public opinion does not make something any less bad than a shitty alternative?
This is a really good point. Hitler was very representative of public opinion. How'd that turn out?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

and?

Well considering we are discussing normal centrist views your response is a disgrace.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

and?

Despite Godwins law and all that in the April 1932 Presidential election Hitler came second to Hindenburg. Hindenbury who won 53 per cent of the vote. Hitler won 37 per cent. In the November election the Nazi's actually lost seats. While Hitler came to power though constitutional means due to various fuckwittery, he didn't win the overall vote. The later Nazi elections certainly weren't a free democratic vote. Communists came to power through the Bolshevik Coup. Neither could be given as wide representations of public opinion, hence why they were oppressive states.

Though when you have to resort with saying "Hitler" in an obviously unrelated example and incorrectly illustrated you should think you don't have a good point or even a valid point to make.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:11 am
and?

Despite Godwins law and all that in the April 1932 Presidential election Hitler came second to Hindenburg. Hindenbury who won 53 per cent of the vote. Hitler won 37 per cent. In the November election the Nazi's actually lost seats. While Hitler came to power though constitutional means due to various fuckwittery, he didn't win the overall vote. The later Nazi elections certainly weren't a free democratic vote. Communists came to power through the Bolshevik Coup. Neither could be given as wide representations of public opinion, hence why they were oppressive states.

Though when you have to resort with saying "Hitler" in an obviously unrelated example and incorrectly illustrated you should think you don't have a good point or even a valid point to make.
I must say, GB News is a most suitable hill for EDF to die on
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

bimboman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:59 am
and?

Well considering we are discussing normal centrist views your response is a disgrace.
"Normal centrist views" :lol: :lol: :lol:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Muttonbirds wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:16 am
and?

Well yes. Reasonable views held by the vast majority. The views YOU hold are the odd and extreme ones.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Love seeing EDB claim the German people were not behind Adolf Hitler and that he was a minority leader, in an attempt to paint GB News as a reasonable, and not hysterical at all, conduit of British public opinion.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

bimboman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:17 am

and?

Well yes. Reasonable views held by the vast majority. The views YOU hold are the odd and extreme ones.
:? Not in my country they are not.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

AND-y wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:59 am :lol:

Clarkey the saffa sociology professor (I can only assume) treating us with his reading of UK society again.

He started with the 80 seat majority the conservatives got at the last election.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Muttonbirds wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:32 am

Oh, they are. You’re a communist and as such should be treated the same way a Nazi is.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

:?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Muttonbirds wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:41 am :?

It’s sadly true.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

and?

When someone starts bringing up the leader of the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterparte into a discussion about GB News then that is a sure sign that they are suffering from GB News Derangement Syndrome.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

mdaclarke wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:47 am
and?

When someone starts bringing up the leader of the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterparte into a discussion about GB News then that is a sure sign that they are suffering from GB News Derangement Syndrome.
It was a good point. The claim by yourself was that GB news is great because it is, in your opinion, representative of public opinion. Well, the counter claim is that the public can be swayed to be complicit in genocidal depravity by such public opinion makers.

The hysterical GB news model aligns more closely with the rise of Hitler than, say, The Guardian's news model.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

The hysterical GB news model aligns more closely with the rise of Hitler than, say, The Guardian's news model.

Genuine insane.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Muttonbirds wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:28 am Love seeing EDB claim the German people were not behind Adolf Hitler and that he was a minority leader, in an attempt to paint GB News as a reasonable, and not hysterical at all, conduit of British public opinion.
Still obsessed and in denial of undisputed facts. :lol:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Muttonbirds wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:32 am

Really one of the channels main presenters is an ex-Labour MP. The same Labour party your Prime Minister worked for. I guess your country doesn't tolerate people discussing topics with the same left wingers who produced your nations leader.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

and?

Who said the EU wants to create a superstate just like Hitler?

Let me give the softcock, outraged hypocrites a clue. It's someone more in tune with British public opinion than Guardian readers.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

shereblue wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:51 am

and?

Who said the EU wants to create a superstate just like Hitler?

Let me give the softcock, outraged hypocrites a clue. It's someone more in tune with British public opinion than Guardian readers.
Jose Barosso? Verhofstadt?
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

What's this I'm hearing about Brillo cancelling himself from his own shitshow?
:shock:
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

GB News, week three.

C69

Post by C69 »

I hope the ageing Gammon is ok.
Saturnine

Post by Saturnine »

shereblue wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:59 am What's this I'm hearing about Brillo cancelling himself from his own shitshow?
:shock:
Yep. Taking an break for an unspecified amount of time.

If it was going so well, you'd think he'd want to stick around to leverage such an outstanding start, wouldn't you?

It's laughable. I bet the likes of Simon McCoy and the few other reasonable folk they managed to get on board are very much regretting getting involved with this exploding clown car.