Trans Tasman Comp will be best comp

All things Rugby
Anonymous 1

Re: Trans Tasman Comp will be best comp

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Cant you guys have some sort of player pool where Aussie teams end up with some kiwi cream and kiwis get some Aussie shit
shanky

Post by shanky »

If Molly Ringwald is ideal Super TT format, why do I have the distinct impression that RA is Andrew McCarthy and NZ is Duckie

Sure, Duckie is more worthy and everything, but, you know, we’re the one taking the girl home
kiap

Post by kiap »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:58 am I’d like to see it work too…

But what can you do when your business partners take the Jaapie Option.
You need to get over yerselves.

But you highlighted one useful point there - it's a business. You can't sell shit until someone's buying your shit.

Kon'nichiwa and good luck with your negotiations. I'm telling you, boet, post-season Cup is the best you'll see from Nippon any time soon.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

kiap wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:10 am
guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:58 am I’d like to see it work too…

But what can you do when your business partners take the Jaapie Option.
You need to get over yerselves.

But you highlighted one useful point there - it's a business. You can't sell shit until someone's buying your shit.

Kon'nichiwa and good luck with your negotiations. I'm telling you, boet, post-season Cup is the best you'll see from Nippon any time time soon.
Well sure. Get over ourselves…

You guys want to go it alone and you believe that’ll work for you. Good luck. You’ll end up just like the Argies with your best players contracted up north and only available when the clubs allow it.

We were always better off working together, the sun being greater than the parts. We both take a hit but I’d bank on the ABs making a better fist out of the shit pile because we can sell our brand, as much as I hate the concept. You guys can’t sell a cupcake.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

kiap wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:58 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:53 amNZR should go it alone, and look at PI or Japanese options.
Absolutely
Indeed.

Personally, I can't wait to see the Mt Maunganui Maulers play the Osaka She-Devils in the Super Happy Fun Time Silver Lake Champion Tournament in 2024.
kiap

Post by kiap »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:17 am Well sure. Get over ourselves…

You guys want to go it alone and you believe that’ll work for you.

Ahh, no. That's a simplified misread on your behalf.

The question is one of control - first and foremost of domestic pro rugby. Cross-border options are the additional jam on top, not the bread and butter.

Seriously, no one wants to buy a watch from this bloke:

Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiap wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:37 am
guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:17 am Well sure. Get over ourselves…

You guys want to go it alone and you believe that’ll work for you.

Ahh, no. That's a simplified misread on your behalf.

The question is one of control - first and foremost of domestic pro rugby. Cross-border options are the additional jam on top, not the bread and butter.

Seriously, no one wants to buy a watch from this bloke:

Rugby has been professional in Australia since 1996. During that time Australia has been extremely successful and Rugby has been vastly more popular than it is now. When has Australia ever had control of a pro domestic league. You seem to be coveting and demanding something that you have never had previously.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:45 amRugby has been professional in Australia since 1996. During that time Australia has been extremely successful and Rugby has been vastly more popular than it is now.
Nup.

Peaked in about 2003-04 and has declined since. Especially rapidly in the last decade.

Super Rugby has been a continuous, repeated, distaster.

Dumbest thing to do would be to sign up for that garbage yet again.
Last edited by kiap on Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

I’m sure Andy Marinos can turn the Shute Shield into some sort of 12 team extravaganza. Maybe do up some sort of MOU with a few of the Euro club sides… the Bulls and the Sharks, maybe?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

So why did RA demand that NZR allow them to field 5 teams in a TT comp if they were simply going to do a runner anyway? RA has no idea what it wants. It changes its mind every other week, depending on the most recent scoreline or whether Andy Marinos wakes up on the right side of the bed. Who could work with people like this?
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Looks like we'll be stuck with that goal line drop kick for held up thanks to the Aussies for the rest of this year. "Need to offer a better product for TV".
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Winning and simple… don’t want much.

Now they’re also wanting equal revenue (are seeding a revenue mismatch last year)…

——

I would like to see a little more consideration for support development of rugby in the pacific alongside the monetary objectives eg support for pacific team / fiji team. Aus did a good job of incorporating dura in NC.

Also - with thanks to Thomas for the reminder - bring back tours…
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

JPNZ wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:59 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:26 pm I don't think Australian fans or RA are being unreasonable. All they are asking is that the Australian teams win every week and that at the end of the comp there is an Australian winner.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, the idea you had AC was the best IMHO. A format where NZ teams have derby games twice and play each aussie team once inbetween. Aus teams play each other twice with games vs NZ teams interspersed. Add byes if needed and play it over 17-18 weeks with a top 4 finals series.

Can add in the Fiji and pasifika if they are ready too, one into each group of 6
Actually like that concept as much as anything.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

It would work if the Aussies got their shit together and learned how to play proper rugby. I think the SRAu teams would have learnt a lot this year in terms of intensity, tactics and skills. You can't tell me they don't have the cattle, they just need to be properly trained. They've done it before, so the knowledge is there.

Can't win games? Grow some balls.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

obelixtim wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:36 am It would work if the Aussies got their shit together and learned how to play proper rugby. I think the SRAu teams would have learnt a lot this year in terms of intensity, tactics and skills. You can't tell me they don't have the cattle, they just need to be properly trained. They've done it before, so the knowledge is there.

Can't win games? Grow some balls.
:lol:
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

The idea of running full comp with double local derbies could work, could see kiwi franchises rest players for au games which in the short term would even things up for those matches.

Although I hate the idea that the blues could miss the playoffs dropping a game to the crusaders and highlanders while the brumbies get to beat up on the rebels twice.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

So just to make things clear, having demanded that they retain their 5 current teams in the Trans Tasman comp for 2022, RA have now decided that there will be no TT comp unless the Kiwi teams are weakened and unless an Australian team is guaranteed to make the final, regardless of how few matches they win?
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:20 am So just to make things clear, having demanded that they retain their 5 current teams in the Trans Tasman comp for 2022, RA have now decided that there will be no TT comp unless the Kiwi teams are weakened and unless an Australian team is guaranteed to make the final, regardless of how few matches they win?
Seems to be about it AC, and next step will be that Aus team has to win final every second year!!
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Dan54. wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:31 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:20 am So just to make things clear, having demanded that they retain their 5 current teams in the Trans Tasman comp for 2022, RA have now decided that there will be no TT comp unless the Kiwi teams are weakened and unless an Australian team is guaranteed to make the final, regardless of how few matches they win?
Seems to be about it AC, and next step will be that Aus team has to win final every second year!!
Next they'll be wanting guaranteed world cup semi-final spots for the Wallabies, with a victory assured every second tournament.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Grandpa wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:37 am
Next they'll be wanting guaranteed world cup semi-final spots for the Wallabies, with a victory assured every second tournament.
Have they had an influx of cricket administrators come onto the board lately?
shanky

Post by shanky »

Matthew 8:12
But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Taniela Tupou is an over rated flat track bully who did nothing against the Kiwi teams.

Hah.I spit on your Thor.
shanky

Post by shanky »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:23 am Taniela Tupou is an over rated flat track bully who did nothing against the Kiwi teams.

Hah.I spit on your Thor.
Yeah, we totally would prefer to have Angus Ta'avao
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:36 am
guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:23 am Taniela Tupou is an over rated flat track bully who did nothing against the Kiwi teams.

Hah.I spit on your Thor.
Oh,.... you want real rugby players now?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

This is going well..
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:42 am
shanky wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:36 am

Hah.I spit on your Thor.
Oh,.... you want real rugby players now?
You mean Aussie Gus?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Yes, and we'd also all like a tit wank from Lucy Lawless.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Grandpa wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:37 am
I believe that very thing is being discussed at RA at this time Grandpa. :lol:
grievous

Post by grievous »

Catman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:50 pm
grievous wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:25 am
Catman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:24 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:55 am So just to clarify, after all these years of trolling the South Africans over them wanting conferences, Rugby Australia is now demanding conferences so that an Australian team is guaranteed a place in the final? I guess this was always going to happen once Andy Marinos was appointed RA's CEO.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Is there anything you dont blame on South Africa? Were you bullied by a Saffa at school?

The TT comp will be a disaster. Australians wont turn up to games or watch on TV if its against the Kiwi's. As it is, the majority who do are ancestral kiwi or expats anyway. Without a conference system, Australia has no hope of a final, and with one, they get publically flogged by little bro again. Lose-lose for them. Beating Fiji or Pacifca or whoever they bring in as whipping boys will be little consolation, and when they lose one of those it will be more tears.

There really is no upside for Australia. No more TV money from Supersport, and no more TV interest from Europe (shit time zone for the real world) means coffers will continue to deplete, and any decent player will head north. Ultimately this will spread to NZ.

Well done boys- you shat in your own bed. Enjoy the Super 5 :thumbup:
And the Saffas get beat by the Italian clubs :lol: How did that one rate?
Not sure, but probably still had 10x more viewers than your shower. TTR will be filmed by the captains' mums on their cell phones and screened on Youtube by 2023.

52,000 :lol: :lol: :lol: there would have been more watching in Bloemfontein alone than that :lol: :lol: :lol: .

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... 020fb6e538
We dont have to fly to the other side of the world to play teams (then get dumped by Italian teams) who cares what viewer numbers are.
Lions will tear you ladies a new one, it will be a pleasure to watch.
towny

Post by towny »

Do you really think the Lions will beat the boks??
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

I think the NZRU should let them go you can never trust them anyway as the keep proving. Instead we should go with with a 7 team competition with the two island teams. However we should base one in Sydney and one in Brisbane. NSW Moana Pacifica and Queensland Druas start by recruiting a few of their Fijian and Pacifica players and as their competition starts to struggle the Force will likely jump ship fairly quickly having been stabbed in the back by the others previously. Eventually allow the Brumbies and Rebels to join to make it a 10 team competition. Shoehorn all the Australian players into these 3 teams and we will have a great Trans Tasman comp run completely by NZ rugby with the untrustworthy numpties from the Warratahs and Reds.
towny

Post by towny »

tubbyj wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:21 am I think the NZRU should let them go you can never trust them anyway as the keep proving. Instead we should go with with a 7 team competition with the two island teams. However we should base one in Sydney and one in Brisbane. NSW Moana Pacifica and Queensland Druas start by recruiting a few of their Fijian and Pacifica players and as their competition starts to struggle the Force will likely jump ship fairly quickly having been stabbed in the back by the others previously. Eventually allow the Brumbies and Rebels to join to make it a 10 team competition. Shoehorn all the Australian players into these 3 teams and we will have a great Trans Tasman comp run completely by NZ rugby with the untrustworthy numpties from the Warratahs and Reds.
And the question -,“Why has there never been a kiwi Steve Jobs?” remains unanswered.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

towny wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:48 am
tubbyj wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:21 am I think the NZRU should let them go you can never trust them anyway as the keep proving. Instead we should go with with a 7 team competition with the two island teams. However we should base one in Sydney and one in Brisbane. NSW Moana Pacifica and Queensland Druas start by recruiting a few of their Fijian and Pacifica players and as their competition starts to struggle the Force will likely jump ship fairly quickly having been stabbed in the back by the others previously. Eventually allow the Brumbies and Rebels to join to make it a 10 team competition. Shoehorn all the Australian players into these 3 teams and we will have a great Trans Tasman comp run completely by NZ rugby with the untrustworthy numpties from the Warratahs and Reds.
And the question -,“Why has there never been a kiwi Steve Jobs?” remains unanswered.
You've heard of Ernest Rutherford, yeah?
towny

Post by towny »

guy smiley wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:19 am
Yep. Smart guy with f*ck all business smarts, right?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

towny wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:24 am
guy smiley wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:19 am
Yep. Smart guy with f*ck all business smarts, right?
Jobs lost control of his pride and joy, then got it back when it was nearly f**ked. He had the good luck to have a brilliant British designer on board who drew up the products that saved the company.

Jobs did ok but he didn't do it on his own.

Rutherford made it possible.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

How about William Pickering?
towny

Post by towny »

obelixtim wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:00 am

I said Steve Jobs and you gave me the name of a dude that ran a business that used an old business model selling stuff almost exclusively to the government.

Sort of proves my point - you guys just don’t get business.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

towny wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:06 am
obelixtim wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:00 am

I said Steve Jobs and you gave me the name of a dude that ran a business that used an old business model selling stuff almost exclusively to the government.

Sort of proves my point - you guys just don’t get business.
I think you found the wrong William Pickering.

This guy.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hayward_Pickering
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Australian rugby's greatest coup of modern times would be the winning of the sole hosting rights to RWC 2003 after the NZRU wouldn't guarantee clean stadia in time...

it was good business from the Aussies and long and hard have been the ribbings in here over that.

What Australia did with that tournament and the incredible community support it generated for Australian rugby was spectacular.

The squandered it. Completely.

They utterly f**ked the dog. Magnificent business sense there.

Spectacular.

Don't worry though. Marinos will sort it all out.