All Black squad selection thread

All things Rugby
les@mooloolaba
Posts: 2281
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by les@mooloolaba »

Grandpa wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:48 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:24 pm
jdogscoop wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:09 pm In truth the squad is pretty good.

Grant Fox must have more influence than I'd given him credit for.
Grant Fox was a selector throughout the 2015-2019 period when our selection team lost their minds. Remember that under Fox's watch we went into he 2019 RWC with no established combinations aside from our locks. It was under Fox that Scott Barrett was selected at 6 for the semi final against England. It was under Fox that Brett Cameron earned an All Black test cap.
Or is it more that when Wayne Smith isn't involved, the All Blacks go to mush?
Nail hammer head :nod:
User avatar
booji boy
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by booji boy »

les@mooloolaba wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:02 am
booji boy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:09 am
les@mooloolaba wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:55 am
booji boy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:27 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:34 am

He had one stand-out game, against the Crusaders.

His selection shows just how shallow our depth is at 12. It was either him, Alex Nankivell or Scott Gregory.
Harry Plummer must have been desperately close to selection following his sensational performance in the Trans Tasman Super Rugby final. It's clear this squad was picked a week earlier ... or Foster is blind, biased or simply incompetent.
So you are picking Plummer on his goal kicking prowess? Sensational? What else did he do besides kick a couple of goals? What does he bring to the game besides that, nothing that Mounga et al dont already have. He is a journeyman at best.
The way Plummer closed out that final was reminiscent of Dan Carter closing out the RWC semifinal and final against South Africa and Australia. Who would you rather have in a tough test match against England or South Africa? A clutch finisher like Plummer or a proven choker like Jordie Barrett failing to convert two similar chances against the Brumbies a fortnight earlier? I know who I would rather have.

But haters gonna hate I guess.
I dont recall saying i hated Plummer, not sure where you get that from my comments, are you trying to twist my words? Plummer is not Dan Carter and is not an All Black. I think I would rather have RM or BB as my clutch finisher before your picks.
:D Dude you obviously haven't read the thread right through. It was a total wind up. I don't rate Plummer either I was just talking him up after his epic goal kicking feats Saturday night helped my Blues scrape their first win in 18 years.
User avatar
booji boy
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by booji boy »

Grandpa wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:31 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:23 am On the selection panel - are they put in place purely by nzr or by the coach? Or 'in consultation' with the coach?

It seems odd that we have the same panel when since 2017 our results have been mediocre, are they assuming they are learning from mistakes or thinking that there weren't any selection mistakes, it was just one of those days...repeatedly
The All Blacks coach and players should be chosen by the people... vote in the coach each year via an online poll (one person, one vote) and also vote in squads for each series.

Then on the Monday before each match, the nation gets to vote in the players to start each game, plus subs. (We will be told who is fit to play each week).

Then we can only blame ourselves...
Agree with this however I think voters should get additional votes based on the number of posts on PR. e.g. greater than 1,000 votes = an automatic additional vote plus another additional vote for every 10,000 posts.

Moi = 1 additional vote = 2 votes total
Ted = 2 additinal votes = 3 votes total
Enzedder = 3 additional votes = 4 votes total
Ali's Choice = 4 additional votes = 5 votes total
Kiwias = 5 additional votes = 6 votes total
Last edited by booji boy on Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 36148
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by guy smiley »

I like that idea
les@mooloolaba
Posts: 2281
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by les@mooloolaba »

booji boy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:08 am
les@mooloolaba wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:02 am
booji boy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:09 am
les@mooloolaba wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:55 am
booji boy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:27 am

Harry Plummer must have been desperately close to selection following his sensational performance in the Trans Tasman Super Rugby final. It's clear this squad was picked a week earlier ... or Foster is blind, biased or simply incompetent.
So you are picking Plummer on his goal kicking prowess? Sensational? What else did he do besides kick a couple of goals? What does he bring to the game besides that, nothing that Mounga et al dont already have. He is a journeyman at best.
The way Plummer closed out that final was reminiscent of Dan Carter closing out the RWC semifinal and final against South Africa and Australia. Who would you rather have in a tough test match against England or South Africa? A clutch finisher like Plummer or a proven choker like Jordie Barrett failing to convert two similar chances against the Brumbies a fortnight earlier? I know who I would rather have.

But haters gonna hate I guess.
I dont recall saying i hated Plummer, not sure where you get that from my comments, are you trying to twist my words? Plummer is not Dan Carter and is not an All Black. I think I would rather have RM or BB as my clutch finisher before your picks.
:D Dude you obviously haven't read the thread right through. It was a total wind up. I don't rate Plummer either I was just talking him up after his epic goal kicking feats Saturday night helped my Blues scrape their first win in 18 years.
Oh really, looks more like back pedalling to me, oh well I will have to pay more attention to your posts in future.
User avatar
booji boy
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by booji boy »

les@mooloolaba wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:33 am Oh really, looks more like back pedalling to me, oh well I will have to pay more attention to your posts in future.
:) No need mate. On this occasion I was just very buoyant following my team's first trophy in 18 years.
User avatar
booji boy
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by booji boy »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:20 am I like that idea
Yep. One person one vote is simply not appropriate for All Black selections. That's fine for the general populace but where genuine rugby expertise is required the PR post count is the most accurate barometer available.
User avatar
Monkey Magic
Posts: 1077
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Monkey Magic »

booji boy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:41 am
guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:20 am I like that idea
Yep. One person one vote is simply not appropriate for All Black selections. That's fine for the general populace but where genuine rugby expertise is required the PR post count is the most accurate barometer available.
Wait, what does that give Mutton and Dark?
User avatar
booji boy
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by booji boy »

Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:42 am
booji boy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:41 am
guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:20 am I like that idea
Yep. One person one vote is simply not appropriate for All Black selections. That's fine for the general populace but where genuine rugby expertise is required the PR post count is the most accurate barometer available.
Wait, what does that give Mutton and Dark?
Wait a minute. I'll check the politics thread and get back to you.

EDIT: Relax, 2 votes each.
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 36148
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by guy smiley »

Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:42 am
booji boy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:41 am
guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:20 am I like that idea
Yep. One person one vote is simply not appropriate for All Black selections. That's fine for the general populace but where genuine rugby expertise is required the PR post count is the most accurate barometer available.
Wait, what does that give Mutton and Dark?
Nothing.

We give them nothing.

Let's get back to how the three top vote casters are all Canterbury and Crusaders supporters :smug:
User avatar
Monkey Magic
Posts: 1077
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Monkey Magic »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:50 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:42 am
booji boy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:41 am
guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:20 am I like that idea
Yep. One person one vote is simply not appropriate for All Black selections. That's fine for the general populace but where genuine rugby expertise is required the PR post count is the most accurate barometer available.
Wait, what does that give Mutton and Dark?
Nothing.

We give them nothing.

Let's get back to how the three top vote casters are all Canterbury and Crusaders supporters :smug:
Have you just outed that PR is actually infested with NZR cantab stooges? Ali is actually Steve Tew :shock:

Might just be padding my post count to get an extra vote
User avatar
booji boy
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by booji boy »

Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:55 am
guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:50 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:42 am
booji boy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:41 am
guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:20 am I like that idea
Yep. One person one vote is simply not appropriate for All Black selections. That's fine for the general populace but where genuine rugby expertise is required the PR post count is the most accurate barometer available.
Wait, what does that give Mutton and Dark?
Nothing.

We give them nothing.

Let's get back to how the three top vote casters are all Canterbury and Crusaders supporters :smug:
Have you just outed that PR is actually infested with NZR cantab stooges? Ali is actually Steve Tew :shock:

Might just be padding my post count to get an extra vote
Dude you you don't even qualify for a single extra vote yet.

Get posting plum! :x
User avatar
Monkey Magic
Posts: 1077
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Monkey Magic »

What
User avatar
Monkey Magic
Posts: 1077
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Monkey Magic »

The
User avatar
Monkey Magic
Posts: 1077
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Monkey Magic »

fudge!?
User avatar
Grandpa
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Yorkshire

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Grandpa »

Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:03 am fudge!?
I vote for more fudge!
User avatar
Monkey Magic
Posts: 1077
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Monkey Magic »

Grandpa wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:28 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:03 am fudge!?
I vote for more fudge!
Wife wouldn't have it
User avatar
Grandpa
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Yorkshire

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Grandpa »

booji boy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:59 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:55 am
guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:50 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:42 am
booji boy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:41 am

Yep. One person one vote is simply not appropriate for All Black selections. That's fine for the general populace but where genuine rugby expertise is required the PR post count is the most accurate barometer available.
Wait, what does that give Mutton and Dark?
Nothing.

We give them nothing.

Let's get back to how the three top vote casters are all Canterbury and Crusaders supporters :smug:
Have you just outed that PR is actually infested with NZR cantab stooges? Ali is actually Steve Tew :shock:

Might just be padding my post count to get an extra vote
Dude you you don't even qualify for a single extra vote yet.

Get posting plum! :x
I wonder what team PR posters will pick for say.. the first test against the Boks this year...

And if the team we picked loses badly... do we blame the coach? :lol:
User avatar
Kiwias
Posts: 42667
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Kiwias »

booji boy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:14 am
Grandpa wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:31 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:23 am On the selection panel - are they put in place purely by nzr or by the coach? Or 'in consultation' with the coach?

It seems odd that we have the same panel when since 2017 our results have been mediocre, are they assuming they are learning from mistakes or thinking that there weren't any selection mistakes, it was just one of those days...repeatedly
The All Blacks coach and players should be chosen by the people... vote in the coach each year via an online poll (one person, one vote) and also vote in squads for each series.

Then on the Monday before each match, the nation gets to vote in the players to start each game, plus subs. (We will be told who is fit to play each week).

Then we can only blame ourselves...
Agree with this however I think voters should get additional votes based on the number of posts on PR. e.g. greater than 1,000 votes = an automatic additional vote plus another additional vote for every 10,000 posts.

Moi = 1 additional vote = 2 votes total
Ted = 2 additinal votes = 3 votes total
Enzedder = 3 additional votes = 4 votes total
Ali's Choice = 4 additional votes = 5 votes total
Kiwias = 5 additional votes = 6 votes total
A superb system.
User avatar
Grandpa
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Yorkshire

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Grandpa »

Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:29 am
Grandpa wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:28 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:03 am fudge!?
I vote for more fudge!
Wife wouldn't have it
Remove her voting rights!
les@mooloolaba
Posts: 2281
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by les@mooloolaba »

Kiwias wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:33 am
booji boy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:14 am
Grandpa wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:31 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:23 am On the selection panel - are they put in place purely by nzr or by the coach? Or 'in consultation' with the coach?

It seems odd that we have the same panel when since 2017 our results have been mediocre, are they assuming they are learning from mistakes or thinking that there weren't any selection mistakes, it was just one of those days...repeatedly
The All Blacks coach and players should be chosen by the people... vote in the coach each year via an online poll (one person, one vote) and also vote in squads for each series.

Then on the Monday before each match, the nation gets to vote in the players to start each game, plus subs. (We will be told who is fit to play each week).

Then we can only blame ourselves...
Agree with this however I think voters should get additional votes based on the number of posts on PR. e.g. greater than 1,000 votes = an automatic additional vote plus another additional vote for every 10,000 posts.

Moi = 1 additional vote = 2 votes total
Ted = 2 additinal votes = 3 votes total
Enzedder = 3 additional votes = 4 votes total
Ali's Choice = 4 additional votes = 5 votes total
Kiwias = 5 additional votes = 6 votes total
A superb system.
I wouldn’t have any of those cvnts voting… x(
User avatar
Monkey Magic
Posts: 1077
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Monkey Magic »

Grandpa wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:47 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:29 am
Grandpa wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:28 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:03 am fudge!?
I vote for more fudge!
Wife wouldn't have it
Remove her voting rights!
:lol:
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 18958
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Ted. »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:18 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:01 am Utility is a funny one - I think it’s something to be desired but not over form or actual ability

I think there are some roles where it’s desirable (back row / back three) but other roles are too core to muck about with.

PSTD is a great exception but there are not many.
I have a theory that I think the AB selectors in recent years have actually over-thought selections. I think the AB selectors live in a bubble, and sometimes they over-think selections to the point that the clear and obvious decision is not the one they make. They pick apart players too much, and envisage too many different scenarios, instead of simply picking the best players at the time in their best position.

I also think that there is a certain aloofness associated with being an AB selector. And a certain contrarianism and degree of arrogance based around the fact that thy feel they know better than everyone else in NZ. This type of mindset led to us going into the last RWC with basically no combinations in the team. This type of mindset led to Foster rotating Goodhue and ALB back and forth between 12 and 13, for no obvious reason other than because he could. This mindset resulted in us starting Scott Barrett at 6 in our last RWC semi final. Selection has been the Achilles Heel of the AB's since 2015 and the main reason is that there has bee zero accountability when the selectors have gotten things wrong. We have the same selection panel that we have had for the past 6 years aside from Hansen who has retired and been replaced.
It's obvious he doesn't have anything else up his sleeve. So perhaps Fozzy views selection as his forte, his creative area, his big innovation. That and running hither and yon flat tack.
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 18958
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Ted. »

booji boy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:14 am
Grandpa wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:31 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:23 am On the selection panel - are they put in place purely by nzr or by the coach? Or 'in consultation' with the coach?

It seems odd that we have the same panel when since 2017 our results have been mediocre, are they assuming they are learning from mistakes or thinking that there weren't any selection mistakes, it was just one of those days...repeatedly
The All Blacks coach and players should be chosen by the people... vote in the coach each year via an online poll (one person, one vote) and also vote in squads for each series.

Then on the Monday before each match, the nation gets to vote in the players to start each game, plus subs. (We will be told who is fit to play each week).

Then we can only blame ourselves...
Agree with this however I think voters should get additional votes based on the number of posts on PR. e.g. greater than 1,000 votes = an automatic additional vote plus another additional vote for every 10,000 posts.

Moi = 1 additional vote = 2 votes total
Ted = 2 additinal votes = 3 votes total
Enzedder = 3 additional votes = 4 votes total
Ali's Choice = 4 additional votes = 5 votes total
Kiwias = 5 additional votes = 6 votes total
Booji, you have a germ of an idea, but I think you have is arse around front.
User avatar
booji boy
Posts: 9897
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by booji boy »

Ted. wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:47 pm Booji, you have a germ of an idea, but I think you have is arse around front.
Please explain?
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 18958
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Ted. »

booji boy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:24 pm
Ted. wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:47 pm Booji, you have a germ of an idea, but I think you have is arse around front.
Please explain?
Less is more. Or should be. :nod:
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 33529
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Ali's Choice »

Selection has been the biggest issue for the AB's since 2015. And I believe the issue is that the selectors have no intention whatsoever of trying to find the best XV or XXIII and sticking with it for an extended period of time. Their intention is to give all the players in their squad game time. Gone are the days of the 'dirt trackers' within the squad, now everyone expects at least some test rugby match time, and there is an expectation that it's divided across the squad as equitably as can be facilitated. So the AB selectors are spending all their time trying to create new combinations and provide opportunities for as many players, rather than just letting the 1st XV play as much Rugby together as possible.

Someone like Grant Fox is paid a half a million dollars a year solely to select. He's not going to rock up to a selection meeting, say 'same as last week' and walk off. He almost has to justify his salary by coming up with new selections and combinations.

IMO we should pick our best XV every test match. Try new players only off the bench or when there are injuries.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 33529
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Ali's Choice »

Apparently Akira Ioane is really struggling with his fitness and conditioning whilst in the AB camp

Image
deverix
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:30 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by deverix »

Looking at the squad they've named, it looks like Foster (who'll be intending to name his strongest possible team for the first match of the year) will go with this 23:

1. Tu’inukuafe
2. Taylor
3. Laulala
4. Rettalick
5. Whitelock
6. Ioane
7. Papali'i
8. Sotutu
9. Smith
10. Mo'unga
11. Bridge
12. Havili
13. ALB
14. Jordan
15. Barrett

16. Bower
17. Coles
18. Lomax
19. Tuipulotu
20. Blackadder
21. Weber
22. B.Barrett
23. R.Ioane

Bear in mind that Savea is still unavailable & Ioane will be the incumbent 6 after his dominant starting performance in the last test-match of 2020 still fresh in the coaches minds.

Blackadder will be debuted off the bench, due to his utility value, as noted by Plumtree covering 6/7/8.
User avatar
booze
Posts: 3596
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by booze »

Enzedder wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:49 pm It's the right time to bring in some new players - and it's great that we seem to have so many players knocking loudly on the door.

We're in good shape
You think so? I actually think this will be another average to poor season, that will somehow see Foster have his contract renewed undeservedly.
User avatar
puku
Posts: 2862
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Saint Paul

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by puku »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:20 am I like that idea
So does Bimbobot
Dan54.
Posts: 1615
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:23 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Dan54. »

booze wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:04 pm
Enzedder wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:49 pm It's the right time to bring in some new players - and it's great that we seem to have so many players knocking loudly on the door.

We're in good shape
You think so? I actually think this will be another average to poor season, that will somehow see Foster have his contract renewed undeservedly.
Geez Booze, ye of little faith!! ;)
Hows life going over there mate? I assume you had a good celebration after WTC ?
User avatar
trapper
Posts: 3072
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Gippsland

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by trapper »

deverix wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:45 pm Looking at the squad they've named, it looks like Foster (who'll be intending to name his strongest possible team for the first match of the year) will go with this 23:

1. Tu’inukuafe
2. Taylor
3. Laulala
4. Rettalick
5. Whitelock
6. Ioane
7. Papali'i
8. Sotutu
9. Smith
10. Mo'unga
11. Bridge
12. Havili
13. ALB
14. Jordan
15. Barrett

16. Bower
17. Coles
18. Lomax
19. Tuipulotu
20. Blackadder
21. Weber
22. B.Barrett
23. R.Ioane

Bear in mind that Savea is still unavailable & Ioane will be the incumbent 6 after his dominant starting performance in the last test-match of 2020 still fresh in the coaches minds.

Blackadder will be debuted off the bench, due to his utility value, as noted by Plumtree covering 6/7/8.
ALB is out injured as is Ennor so that leaves us with one 13 for the series, Reiko.
User avatar
kiwigreg369
Posts: 6172
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Any news on other injuries?

- Frizzell? I thought in
- Savea? I thought out of game 1
User avatar
Pakia Pakia
Posts: 2016
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Pakia Pakia »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:33 pm Selection has been the biggest issue for the AB's since 2015. And I believe the issue is that the selectors have no intention whatsoever of trying to find the best XV or XXIII and sticking with it for an extended period of time. Their intention is to give all the players in their squad game time. Gone are the days of the 'dirt trackers' within the squad, now everyone expects at least some test rugby match time, and there is an expectation that it's divided across the squad as equitably as can be facilitated. So the AB selectors are spending all their time trying to create new combinations and provide opportunities for as many players, rather than just letting the 1st XV play as much Rugby together as possible.

Someone like Grant Fox is paid a half a million dollars a year solely to select. He's not going to rock up to a selection meeting, say 'same as last week' and walk off. He almost has to justify his salary by coming up with new selections and combinations.

IMO we should pick our best XV every test match. Try new players only off the bench or when there are injuries.
I agree with this sentiment.
User avatar
Pakia Pakia
Posts: 2016
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by Pakia Pakia »

For the last 4 World Cups the winning team has had a physically big and dominant set of loose forwards with strong lineout ability.

We will not win a World Cup with Sam Cane and Ardie Savea starting.

Jerome Kaino never had the same workrate of McCaw or Read. He produced physically dominant impact plays around the ruck area and often came off after 60 minutes.

There are only 2 or 3 loose forwards in the squad who have the ability to make physically dominant impact plays. We can't just have all workrate guys. We won't win the knock out games that way so the guys in the squad with that ability need to be developed.

With 2 years left until the RWC I would l like to Ioane, Sotutu, and Blackadder given more opportunities this year and I really hope we don't see Savea starting at 8 anymore.

Savea needs to prove he is the best at 7 if he wants to be in the starting line up.
deverix
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:30 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by deverix »

trapper wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:58 pm
deverix wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:45 pm Looking at the squad they've named, it looks like Foster (who'll be intending to name his strongest possible team for the first match of the year) will go with this 23:

1. Tu’inukuafe
2. Taylor
3. Laulala
4. Rettalick
5. Whitelock
6. Ioane
7. Papali'i
8. Sotutu
9. Smith
10. Mo'unga
11. Bridge
12. Havili
13. ALB
14. Jordan
15. Barrett

16. Bower
17. Coles
18. Lomax
19. Tuipulotu
20. Blackadder
21. Weber
22. B.Barrett
23. R.Ioane

Bear in mind that Savea is still unavailable & Ioane will be the incumbent 6 after his dominant starting performance in the last test-match of 2020 still fresh in the coaches minds.

Blackadder will be debuted off the bench, due to his utility value, as noted by Plumtree covering 6/7/8.
ALB is out injured as is Ennor so that leaves us with one 13 for the series, Reiko.
Forgot about this. In that case, I think they'll select B.Barrett & McKenzie at 22 and 23.

Almost certain Foster will be selecting his strongest possible team, as trying to make a statement with an emphatic all-round performance. J.Barrett already covers the midfield, so Tupaea will probably make his test debut in the 2nd or 3rd (dead-rubber) match.
User avatar
mrbrownstone
Posts: 3760
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by mrbrownstone »

Bad news for Ennor, leaves us even lighter in the midfield than we already were.

Surely Fainga'anuku is next cab off the rank if they call someone up as cover?
User avatar
kiwigreg369
Posts: 6172
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by kiwigreg369 »

mrbrownstone wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:44 am Bad news for Ennor, leaves us even lighter in the midfield than we already were.

Surely Fainga'anuku is next cab off the rank if they call someone up as cover?
Him or PUJ…

Unless someone is seriously putting forward Plummer…
User avatar
booze
Posts: 3596
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: All Black squad selection thread

Post by booze »

:lol:
Dan54. wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:22 pm
booze wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:04 pm
Enzedder wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:49 pm It's the right time to bring in some new players - and it's great that we seem to have so many players knocking loudly on the door.

We're in good shape
You think so? I actually think this will be another average to poor season, that will somehow see Foster have his contract renewed undeservedly.
Geez Booze, ye of little faith!! ;)
Hows life going over there mate? I assume you had a good celebration after WTC ?
Hey Danny, yes as soon as the target got to less than 50 runs, I put some champagne on ice. Opened it when Ross hit the winning 4😎

Few pints down my local at lunch time yesterday to toast the win again!!


With my thoughts on the AB’s - I just have little faith in Foster to bring together an team that can become the best in the world.

He may have done a decent job when we had a squad full of McCaw, Read, Nonu etc but this AB squad is a long way from those days and I have my doubts he will be able to consistently match the boks or the fast improving Nth hemisphere sides.

I would love him to prove me wrong of course :thumbup:
Post Reply