Respected Irish journo: "Marcus Smith has an oompa-loompa tan"

All things Rugby
terryfinch

Re: Respected Irish journo: "Marcus Smith has an oompa-loompa tan"

Post by terryfinch »

LandOTurk wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:28 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:20 pm
goose81 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:15 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:12 pm He knew exactly what he was saying, he’s been a bellend for ages and got away with it. Suprised an Irish pro hasn’t smashed his teeth in before now. That Fitz doesn’t like the brown lads either.
He clearly didn't know he was half Philippino or he wouldn't have said it, he's not thick. If he knew he was he would have known that was the end of his career.
Are you seriously suggesting Franno is blind? You’ve seen Marcus Smith?
He knew. Its just if you think that way, and for a living you shoot your mouth, one day you are going to slip up. Good riddance. Racist tw@t!
+1
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:29 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:15 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:03 pm
ChipSpike wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:53 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:48 pm

He is saying he just disparaged him on what he believed to be is lack of class
Maybe he should comment on his rugby skills rather than hair style and skin colour, just for credibilities sake
But he will stick to the line that he thought the guy was white and he was just talking about a tan. So he might as well get hung for disparaging Smith for what he perceives to be a lack of class.
So if he said it about Courney Lawes that would be OK ... if he thought the guy was white? How about Maro?
Stop acting the idiot. Plenty of people will believe he thought Smith was white. Only a select special few would believe the same about Lawes
I think we're over analysing it. He's just an attention seeking plum.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

ChipSpike wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:33 pm

Maybe he should comment on his rugby skills rather than hair style and skin colour, just for credibilities sake
But he will stick to the line that he thought the guy was white and he was just talking about a tan. So he might as well get hung for disparaging Smith for what he perceives to be a lack of class.
So if he said it about Courney Lawes that would be OK ... if he thought the guy was white? How about Maro?
Stop acting the idiot. Plenty of people will believe he thought Smith was white. Only a select special few would believe the same about Lawes
I think we're over analysing it. He's just an attention seeking plum.
The comments have been interpreted differently from what I intended and I apologise sincerely for that.

"I fully apologise for any offence taken by the player and his family. I intend to apologise directly to him shortly if he is agreeable. I also apologise to anyone who also took offence to what I said.
He could have said "I'm a f**king idiot, but not racist". Many would believe that?
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Is this indicative of a larger racist problem in Irish rugby?

Not even sure it's safe for the Boks to tour there in this atmosphere. Worrying.
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

eldanielfire wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:59 pm What's fairly shocking here is how a) this is supposed to be a big name Rugby Journalist and doesn't know much about a guy who just won the Premiership, earned caps for England and has been pulled into the Lions. As Anon pointed out google is there. And b) Marcus Smith is a lovely guy, a young hot talent whose by all accounts a top bloke. Where is a rugby journalist resorting to personal abuse at how a player looks whose done nothing wrong. Comes over as unprofessional and lazy work for a mainstream, I assume decently paid, journalist.
Firstly I doubt even Franno would describe himself as a big name journalist. Secondly, he's an Irish journalist writing for an Irish paper, catering to Irish interest. Smith has what, 2 caps for England? And just called up for the Lions? Yes he won the premiership, but I doubt most 'big name journalists' writing for English papers could say what country most Leinster players parents came from.
Thirdly it was a low-rent podcast, essentially two lads having a chat - it would be like expecting Haskell on House of Rugby to have fact checked and double-sourced everything.

So yeah, he should have done better - but lets be honest, fake tan and rugby players aren't exactly completely unknown couplings these days. He made a cheap joke on the guys appearance and it has backfired, spectactularly - because he's made (lets face it, pretty commonly made) assumptions that a guy called Marcus Smith, playing rugby, for England, has anglo- race/heritage.
And that maybe is the lesson - that we're a far more multicultural society these days and that those kind of assumptions shouldn't be the default, if they're even relevant assumptions to make in any case. And perhaps that making jokes about peoples experience can't be done - because it can result in the situation Franno just found himself in. If your point is about fake tan, then you better make sure he actually does use fake tan before you bake that into your throwaway quip in public.

Anyway, the guy has paid a significant price, for now, for something that was never intended as a racist remark. I hope he does apologise to Smith, and I'm sure Smith will deal with that appropriately. I suspect he'll knock a few laughs out of it if anything. And the nature of these things is that Franno will probably end up writing for the Sunday Times Irish edition, or some other paper/publication in the next few months in any case. He can be funny, he can actually be good on some matters rugby, but mostly he's a trolling twat, and now he's walked himself into trouble - not for the first time.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

DeDoc wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:47 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:59 pm What's fairly shocking here is how a) this is supposed to be a big name Rugby Journalist and doesn't know much about a guy who just won the Premiership, earned caps for England and has been pulled into the Lions. As Anon pointed out google is there. And b) Marcus Smith is a lovely guy, a young hot talent whose by all accounts a top bloke. Where is a rugby journalist resorting to personal abuse at how a player looks whose done nothing wrong. Comes over as unprofessional and lazy work for a mainstream, I assume decently paid, journalist.
Firstly I doubt even Franno would describe himself as a big name journalist. Secondly, he's an Irish journalist writing for an Irish paper, catering to Irish interest. Smith has what, 2 caps for England? And just called up for the Lions? Yes he won the premiership, but I doubt most 'big name journalists' writing for English papers could say what country most Leinster players parents came from.
Thirdly it was a low-rent podcast, essentially two lads having a chat - it would be like expecting Haskell on House of Rugby to have fact checked and double-sourced everything.

So yeah, he should have done better - but lets be honest, fake tan and rugby players aren't exactly completely unknown couplings these days. He made a cheap joke on the guys appearance and it has backfired, spectactularly - because he's made (lets face it, pretty commonly made) assumptions that a guy called Marcus Smith, playing rugby, for England, has anglo- race/heritage.
And that maybe is the lesson - that we're a far more multicultural society these days and that those kind of assumptions shouldn't be the default, if they're even relevant assumptions to make in any case. And perhaps that making jokes about peoples experience can't be done - because it can result in the situation Franno just found himself in. If your point is about fake tan, then you better make sure he actually does use fake tan before you bake that into your throwaway quip in public.

Anyway, the guy has paid a significant price, for now, for something that was never intended as a racist remark. I hope he does apologise to Smith, and I'm sure Smith will deal with that appropriately. I suspect he'll knock a few laughs out of it if anything. And the nature of these things is that Franno will probably end up writing for the Sunday Times Irish edition, or some other paper/publication in the next few months in any case. He can be funny, he can actually be good on some matters rugby, but mostly he's a trolling twat, and now he's walked himself into trouble - not for the first time.
Smith looks mixed race or Asian
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Lemoentjie wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:41 pm Is this indicative of a larger racist problem in Irish rugby?

Not even sure it's safe for the Boks to tour there in this atmosphere. Worrying.
Probably best if the Saffa sides stay away from the new Pro14 or whatever it's called next season too.
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:51 pm Smith looks mixed race or Asian
Yeah, when you're told he is, it isn't exactly shocking news. But equally if I was told that all his grandparents were born and reared in the home counties, I wouldn't bat an eyelid. Plenty of guys with his complexion without (recent/obvious) mixed race heritage. And If we're getting very specific, also plenty of guys without that heritage with similar facial features.
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

Racist?
I thought it was fairly clear he was mocking Smith's 'pretty boy looks' with his salon quality hair and what Francis thought was an over the top tan. He compared him to David Beckham for christ's sake. Clumsy perhaps but racist? Please.
Varsity Way

Post by Varsity Way »

Jaysus. He will burn in hell for that one.
nardol

Post by nardol »

I didn't know Smith had multicultural ethnicity... for what it's worth

Then again I don't go around throwing out derogatory comments based on ones appearance.

Except for Gavin Henson.
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Aren't oompa loompas dark orange?
Such a weird and fcuked up remark
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Cabbage wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:01 pm Racist?
I thought it was fairly clear he was mocking Smith's 'pretty boy looks' with his salon quality hair and what Francis thought was an over the top tan. He compared him to David Beckham for christ's sake. Clumsy perhaps but racist? Please.
He looks Asian

Filipino man
Filipino man
CarrotGawks

Post by CarrotGawks »

Duncan Casey sticking the knife in on twitter.

https://twitter.com/BigDunc123/status/1 ... 5675781122

I remember this one...

"Gays have little interest in sport as it's too manly, them being gay and all. Same way manly lads don't like ballet (2014)"
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

So we’re to believe you lads don’t get to see any mixed race people on the Emerald Isle? Behave.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

DeDoc wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:00 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:51 pm Smith looks mixed race or Asian
Yeah, when you're told he is, it isn't exactly shocking news. But equally if I was told that all his grandparents were born and reared in the home counties, I wouldn't bat an eyelid. Plenty of guys with his complexion without (recent/obvious) mixed race heritage. And If we're getting very specific, also plenty of guys without that heritage with similar facial features.
I get what you mean. Apart from the hair, the complexion and the features you never think he was Asian so you'd think you were pretty safe to disparage him based on his obvious lack of class in choosing such a hair style and fake tan.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Anyway- Franno has had it coming for ages. He shouldn’t have survived the homophobic stuff.
message #2527204

Cartman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:10 pm Aren't oompa loompas dark orange?
Such a weird and fcuked up remark
Only if you mean the old version of Charlie and the chocolate factory. The Johnny Depp version, which most youngsters have seen, not.
Varsity Way

Post by Varsity Way »

Oompa Loompa doompety doo
I wouldn't employ Franno if I were you
Oompa Loompa doompeta dee
You would be wise if you listen to me!
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

I don't like Marcus Smith, I don't like the way he flicks his hair like a New Zealand weightlifter when he goes to kick, I don't like him because he looks like some kind of Manga cartoon. But do you know what, he's going to be one of the best players in the world and England are lucky to have him.

IMO, the journalist should have said "Gavin Henson" tan rather than be a bit of a prick.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Especially since the 1971 film, the moniker Oompa Loompa has gone on to demean a person of short stature or a bustling factory worker. Thanks to their distinctive orange skin in the film, Oompa Loompa also ridicules someone whose skin looks orange-colored, especially as the result of a bad spray tan or poorly-chosen foundation. Oompa Loompa is an offensive term to call a person with dwarfism.
https://www.dictionary.com/e/fictional- ... pa-loompa/

dictionary.com will have to change their article to include that now it's also racist.

One can still call Donald Trump an Oompa Loompa though
message #2527204

Jensrsa wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:54 pm
Especially since the 1971 film, the moniker Oompa Loompa has gone on to demean a person of short stature or a bustling factory worker. Thanks to their distinctive orange skin in the film, Oompa Loompa also ridicules someone whose skin looks orange-colored, especially as the result of a bad spray tan or poorly-chosen foundation. Oompa Loompa is an offensive term to call a person with dwarfism.
https://www.dictionary.com/e/fictional- ... pa-loompa/

dictionary.com will have to change their article to include that now it's also racist.

One can still call Donald Trump an Oompa Loompa though
You think it's ok to say courtney lawes had an oompa loompa tan because it doesn't actually mention that in your dictionary?
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Will this be Marcus' new nickname going forward on the board?
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

Floppykid wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:12 pm Will this be Marcus' new nickname going forward on the board?
"Frano" ?!
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:48 pm

He is saying he just disparaged him on what he believed to be is lack of class
Practically the same guy

DOB

Post by DOB »

goose81 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:15 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:12 pm He knew exactly what he was saying, he’s been a bellend for ages and got away with it. Suprised an Irish pro hasn’t smashed his teeth in before now. That Fitz doesn’t like the brown lads either.
He clearly didn't know he was half Philippino or he wouldn't have said it, he's not thick. If he knew he was he would have known that was the end of his career.
I didn't know Smith was Philipino. Having only seen him play in a handful of youtube highlight reels, I presumed he was born in NZ somewhere, probably of Maori/possibly Tongan heritage and recently moved north.

So it's arguably possible that Franno didn't know the kid was non-white. But if he didn't know, then it's a pretty shocking lack of professionalism to not do the most rudimentary research on a player of his profile (like, y'know, watch a few youtube clips of him playing) before spouting off on a podcast.

Not a good look for Fitz to not call him out on it, either.
puku

Post by puku »

Floppykid wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:12 pm Will this be Marcus' new nickname going forward on the board?
Nah...I would go with the Asian Dave Beckham or ADB.
nardol

Post by nardol »

RodneyRegis wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:18 pm

Practically the same guy

Sarries have ditched itoji?
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

Lemoentjie wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:41 pm Is this indicative of a larger racist problem in Irish rugby?

They're fine as long as you don't mention Delon Armitage.

Or Itoje.

Or Sinckler

Or...
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Leinsterman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:19 pm
Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:12 pm Ex Private dublin schoolboy in racism shocker

Thick as mince
Whew, just as well all the ex private Belfast schoolboys are as clean as a whistle
Private schools are few and far between up here, but nice try
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

puku wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:20 pm
That's actually alright.

White (Gavin) Henson work?
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:41 pm
Leinsterman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:19 pm
Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:12 pm Ex Private dublin schoolboy in racism shocker

Thick as mince
Whew, just as well all the ex private Belfast schoolboys are as clean as a whistle
Private schools are few and far between up here, but nice try
And there's none down here. All are funded by the state to some extent or another.
So another swing and a miss to the teacher.
Do you teach your students using a Bible?
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

https://twitter.com/simonzebo/status/14 ... 14757?s=21

Franno looks like a Harry Enfield character.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

RodneyRegis wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:18 pm

Practically the same guy

I'm just grateful the Irish journalist didn't think either of them was Delon Armitage.

#Progress
puku

Post by puku »

Floppykid wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:41 pm
puku wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:20 pm
That's actually alright.

White (Gavin) Henson work?
White Henson...dis I like.
quarter2four

Post by quarter2four »

Edgelords have zero chance of surviving as journalists in modern environment. He was a bellend but what's the future? Where everyone is afraid to offend so we have wall to wall beige journalism?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

quarter2four wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:51 am Edgelords have zero chance of surviving as journalists in modern environment. He was a bellend but what's the future? Where everyone is afraid to offend so we have wall to wall beige journalism?
That is your problem right there...

the whole being afraid to offend thing is a cop out.

Just treat others with respect. It's not hard... the latent desire to take the piss at differences is a lazy habit that takes a little discipline to grow out of.

No more self discipline that might be needed to halt the urge to clock a racist twat, I imagine.
CarrotGawks

Post by CarrotGawks »

I'm just waiting for Franno to apologise for thinking Marcus, what? Smith? Was pretty. I mean, he is pretty. But for a journalist like Franno to admit it on air, that he thinks a player is pretty, well, it'd be shockwaves.

A good looking lad, like Smith. And a big ignorant plum like Franno. If the nice looking fellow could tell the Pig Ignorant plum, With Pig Ignorant Views (such, as, and I'm saying this is what I'm thinking) you're a nice looking rugby player, to get away from me with your male-love-thought, well, then I might have a bit of pride in the game.

And the male-love-thought is what? You're pretty because you're Filipino? Or half Filipino? You're a big lump, no matter how much passing and kicking is a 10's game, you're an ugly plum, you're a rugby player. And if I can't tell you, "You know what, you're an ugly brute but also a gorgeous looking lad, who can pass and kick!" it'd be weird. If I can't say, "I fancy you a bit. Pretend I was a bird." I'd be lost.

Why? Becuase this confuses me sexually. And if rugby isn't a game of sexual rigidity but the slightest hint of the inevitable doubt that comes with blind confidence, truly blind, having to feel our way around. Then I don't know what is.

Marcus Smith, you're a rugby player. I've heard you're OK at it. Franno, it's ok to think they're all soft now.

Either way, I hope the Lions go well Marcus Smith, and Franno, I hope you have lots of people to invite over for drinks and tell them your opinion.