The official Lions 2021 thread

All things Rugby
ChipSpike

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by ChipSpike »

C69 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:12 pm
ChipSpike wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:01 pm
Clive wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:35 pm Cannot see how Daly is still in the 23 when both Adams and Williams are not if the Lions are behind with a quarter to go, then Faz and Daly hardly inspire a late comeback, if the Boks show and kindof common sense they will have to play a wider game with the world class finishers they have.
Faz is there for kicking pens, Daly is there for versatility, and long range kicking.
Daly can be shit in a number of positions alright.
You lot seem to have dumped Gatland, or has he dumped you?
C69

Post by C69 »

ChipSpike wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:20 pm
Clive wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:35 pm Cannot see how Daly is still in the 23 when both Adams and Williams are not if the Lions are behind with a quarter to go, then Faz and Daly hardly inspire a late comeback, if the Boks show and kindof common sense they will have to play a wider game with the world class finishers they have.
Faz is there for kicking pens, Daly is there for versatility, and long range kicking.
You lot?
Dumped?
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

C69 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:22 pm
ChipSpike wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:20 pm
You lot?
Dumped?
I thought we were just pointing out the obvious?
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

The changes make sense.
I'd love to see Henshaw shifted out to 13, but there are no good candidates to take his place at 12.
Story of his career really.

Mako deserves his start and I hope Curry/LCD will be more composed from the get go after the run out last week.
Aye

Post by Aye »

I’d be a bit worried about Chris Harris‘s defence. He’s a decent defender but not water tight like Henshaw.

Tough on Josh Adams not making a Test squad after tearing it up against the chicken feed teams (SA A aside). The big Saffa Scot VdM does offer something else though with his physical attributes. The balance of the team looks right overall.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

DragsterDriver wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:10 pm
Da iawn diolch wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:47 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:54 pm Owens was quality when he came on- not sure how Mako will go without him? Mako was getting twisted bigtime but Owens kept it square.
I've no idea what you were watching, but Mako absolutely had the oppo TH on toast in every scrum.

Go back and look at his head placement - he was frequently starting in and underneath the TH's chest with a lovely short bind, meaning that he could drive up and across onto him more easily (without making it look like his hips had swung out).

Owens might be a good scrummager (no idea if he's better than LCD or not), but Mako was absolutely killing it out there on Saturday.
Nah- his left shoulder was completely turned in,
If malherbe could have got into Owens Mako was done.
i watched a different game to you then. and i'm no fan of mako.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Aye wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:59 pm I’d be a bit worried about Chris Harris‘s defence. He’s a decent defender but not water tight like Henshaw.

Tough on Josh Adams not making a Test squad after tearing it up against the chicken feed teams (SA A aside). The big Saffa Scot VdM does offer something else though with his physical attributes. The balance of the team looks right overall.
Chris Harris was probably the best centre defender in the 6 Nations this year.
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:32 pm
ZuLurk wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:58 pm Lions quite surprisingly changed their winning team. From starting to different bench is 7/23 changes = 30% change
Murray for Ali Price a huge step backwards
Daly swap understandable
Ox is only 1.73m so understandable he got under Sutherland at 1.83m. Best of all is Ox is injured.
It's 4 out of 23 changes for the Lions. 2 from Saturday's bench to start (Mako and Murray), and 2 not involved last Saturday, 1 to start and 1 to bench (Harris and Faletau).

And Ox is a loosehead, he was scrummaging against Furlong, not Sutherland.
Thanks had the name and face screwed up.
Still don't see your 4 out of 23 changes and think I 'm right in the count.
It's Vunipola , Harris and Murray in the starting That's 3 already
Bench changes are Sutherland who landed there now aswell as Daly and Price and a newcomer there in Faletau , so 4 bench changes. All in all 7
Some step back changes in that Price gave quick ball and Sutherland did what was expected
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

happyhooker wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:13 am
DragsterDriver wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:54 pm Owens was quality when he came on- not sure how Mako will go without him? Mako was getting twisted bigtime but Owens kept it square.
I've no idea what you were watching, but Mako absolutely had the oppo TH on toast in every scrum.

Go back and look at his head placement - he was frequently starting in and underneath the TH's chest with a lovely short bind, meaning that he could drive up and across onto him more easily (without making it look like his hips had swung out).

Owens might be a good scrummager (no idea if he's better than LCD or not), but Mako was absolutely killing it out there on Saturday.
Funny enough i rewatched the scrums last night, it wasn’t as bad as I thought.

I’m more concerned about the price of OSB.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

ZuLurk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:47 am
PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:32 pm
ZuLurk wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:58 pm Lions quite surprisingly changed their winning team. From starting to different bench is 7/23 changes = 30% change
Daly swap understandable
Ox is only 1.73m so understandable he got under Sutherland at 1.83m. Best of all is Ox is injured.
It's 4 out of 23 changes for the Lions. 2 from Saturday's bench to start (Mako and Murray), and 2 not involved last Saturday, 1 to start and 1 to bench (Harris and Faletau).

And Ox is a loosehead, he was scrummaging against Furlong, not Sutherland.
Thanks had the name and face screwed up.
Still don't see your 4 out of 23 changes and think I 'm right in the count.
It's Vunipola , Harris and Murray in the starting That's 3 already
Bench changes are Sutherland who landed there now aswell as Daly and Price and a newcomer there in Faletau , so 4 bench changes. All in all 7
Some step back changes in that Price gave quick ball and Sutherland did what was expected
Are you serious? Can you not see you’re counting the same players twice when you do it like that
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

Daly swap understandable
Lions were struggling until they made changes, so, the question must be asked, what is a winning team? The XV that started, or the XV that finished?
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

Springboks were a little tired from covid. No excuses this time. So the finished XV only looked better because of that, actually the starting XV were your best team
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

ZuLurk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:36 am Springboks were a little tired from covid. No excuses this time. So the finished XV only looked better because of that, actually the starting XV were your best team
They played under the guise of South Africa A about 10 days beforehand so I'm not getting the tired bit
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

happyhooker wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:13 am

You got lost between posting Double H. Where have you been hiding?
C69

Post by C69 »

Lots of stuff in the fringes of the press about the coaches bust ups and politics afoot.
Hmmm will be interesting to read about the schisms and toxicity after the tour.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

C69 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:53 am Lots of stuff in the fringes of the press about the coaches bust ups and politics afoot.
Link?
C69

Post by C69 »

Frodder wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:00 am
C69 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:53 am Lots of stuff in the fringes of the press about the coaches bust ups and politics afoot.
Link?
No from a sauce, a fairly reliable one. Thats why I said wait for the tour to be over and its well known about the leaks and the errr healthy debate about selection.
Wait and see.
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

C69 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:16 am
Link?
No from a sauce, a fairly reliable one. Thats why I said wait for the tour to be over and its well known about the leaks and the errr healthy debate about selection.
Wait and see.
Definitely a hint of that alright, when words like 'frank' and 'robust' clock up in every interview.
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

C69 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:16 am
Link?
Wait and see.
:lol:
My Lions tour cliche bingo card is complete.

I've already got parochialism, bolters and "dirt trackers", was just waiting on "trouble in the camp"
Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

You're going to need to re-explain scrummaging physics to me, in such a way that it's somehow obvious why the higher player in a compromised body position (Malherbe's shoulders were consistently above than his waist) is somehow in control of that scrum.

Mako was underneath him from the off, every scrum. This is why SA (in spite of your view that the TH was attacking the hooker), made absolutely zero hay from their own ball AND conceded scrum pens on the TH side.

This was a Lions scrum which resulted in a penalty. If you can't see why Mako's body position is dominant here, then we should probably stop talking about scrummaging.

Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

Frodder wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:12 pm
versatility alright, he's not Lion's standard at FB or centre
In fairness, the guy started 3 tests in a drawn Lions series in NZ and acquitted himself well. Not many players in rugby history can say that.

Not sure a season of running around postmen has done him the world of good, but he's absolutely got the talent and class to be "Lions standard".
C69

Post by C69 »

Had not has
CM11

Post by CM11 »

He's twenty, not thirty, nine. Bit early to be retiring him.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Da iawn diolch wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:08 am
In fairness, the guy started 3 tests in a drawn Lions series in NZ and acquitted himself well. Not many players in rugby history can say that.

Not sure a season of running around postmen has done him the world of good, but he's absolutely got the talent and class to be "Lions standard".
Using that logic we should have Foxy at 13
Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

Frodder wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:49 am

I'm just suggesting that writing a 13 off after a single game where he was the victim of dogshit slow ruck ball, and a backline who relentlessly shovelled shit (so that he only touched the ball 7 times in the whole game), might be a bit premature.

I don't think that's too controversial.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Oops, thought it was Farrell you lot were talking about, wasn't paying attention. Daly's even younger though.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Da iawn diolch wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:09 am

I'm just suggesting that writing a 13 off after a single game where he was the victim of dogshit slow ruck ball, and a backline who relentlessly shovelled shit (so that he only touched the ball 7 times in the whole game), might be a bit premature.

If it was 1 game I'll give you that but he was utter shite (although in the wrong position) in the 6N meaning he was dropped.

Let's see how Saturday goes but if he doesn't deliver then it's time to let him go
Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

Frodder wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:23 am

If it was 1 game I'll give you that but he was utter shite (although in the wrong position) in the 6N meaning he was dropped.

Let's see how Saturday goes but if he doesn't deliver then it's time to let him go
You realise he's on the bench on Saturday, and covering the back three, right?
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Da iawn diolch wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:09 pm
Frodder wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:23 am

You realise he's on the bench on Saturday, and covering the back three, right?
Yes, replacing on that bench a better player in Sanjay.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Don't rate Adams all that much tbh.
45jumper

Post by 45jumper »

Speaking as an England fan, Daly was absolutely shocking in the Six Nations.
Defensively frail, shocking under the high ball and no attacking spark whatsoever. Poor handling as well. I've no idea what happened to his form - he was world class when he first burst on the scene for England, possibly my favourite player and followed it up with an excellent Lions tour in NZ.
I was stunned he was picked for the tour and suspect if North was fit he wouldn't have been selected in the first place - granted he looked pretty good in the warmup games but the same old frailties revealed themselves at the weekend and he can count himself lucky to make the bench - Williams would have been a better bet IMO. If Watson/VDM go down early I certainly wouldn't fancy Daly competing in the air :uhoh:
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Absolutely. I thought highly of him 4 years ago. One of England's best players. Lucky to be on this tour. His 6N form was dire. The mickey mouse defending to leave Hardy in for the try was pathetic.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

45jumper wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:42 pm Speaking as an England fan, Daly was absolutely shocking in the Six Nations.
Defensively frail, shocking under the high ball and no attacking spark whatsoever. Poor handling as well. I've no idea what happened to his form - he was world class when he first burst on the scene for England, possibly my favourite player and followed it up with an excellent Lions tour in NZ.
I was stunned he was picked for the tour and suspect if North was fit he wouldn't have been selected in the first place - granted he looked pretty good in the warmup games but the same old frailties revealed themselves at the weekend and he can count himself lucky to make the bench - Williams would have been a better bet IMO. If Watson/VDM go down early I certainly wouldn't fancy Daly competing in the air :uhoh:
Great comments.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Floppykid wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:02 pm Don't rate Adams all that much tbh.
Well that's cleared that up
Quins89

Post by Quins89 »

Which side are we talking about here?

SA politics and coaches bust ups or lions?
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Frodder wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:57 pm
Floppykid wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:02 pm Don't rate Adams all that much tbh.
Well that's cleared that up
I don’t think he’s at the level ability wise to be a test winger for lions. He’s just good at everything with a low error count. Very good at nothing. Scoring walk in tries again ‘b’ sides isn’t all that given the players he is competing with.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Quins89 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:37 pm

The Welsh are throwing their dummy out because they have only 2 players starting.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

LandOTurk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:48 pm

Absolutely. I thought highly of him 4 years ago. One of England's best players. Lucky to be on this tour. His 6N form was dire. The mickey mouse defending to leave Hardy in for the try was pathetic.
The issue with Daly is Eddie Jones moving him to Full Back has ruined him. He can't jump, not great under the high ball and no great 1 on 1 tackler. Bonkers, but Eddie has persisted with it for some reason.
piquant

Post by piquant »

Leinster in London wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:10 am
Daly swap understandable
Lions were struggling until they made changes, so, the question must be asked, what is a winning team? The XV that started, or the XV that finished?
Murray in for Price would be an issue if the Lions wanted to play any rugby, but seemingly they have no such intent. Murray kicked well when he came on and made at least one nice wide pass which might be of interest to try and get to the edge of the narrow SA defence, none of our passing down the line got close to it, so some wider passes or cut out passes might offer some chances, maybe.

Price did box kick a little too flat, but did get decent hang time. Basically Price didn't do much wrong, but maybe for not wanting to do anything Murray is the better bet

We missed maybe 2 chances to play on Saturday, Henshaw failing to get a pass away, and Hogg with a different alignment outside him might have made a miss pass to VDM, but as was he only invited PSDT up onto Henshaw. Other than that it was just kicking the ball away and waiting for pens.

The other option to attack is down the shortside of the scrums because SA will not number up there, they'll just work hard off the scrum if the attack goes that way. We tried that once one Saturday and the play between the 8 and 9 didn't give Watson much to work with, and if Lawes is the blindside flanker we'd struggle more to support any attack that resulted than if we had a flanker anyway
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Willie Falloon wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:01 pm
Quins89 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:37 pm

The Welsh are throwing their dummy out because they have only 2 players starting.
1 day he'll aspire to be the top try scorer at the 6N and RWC