Sydney.... fvcked

All things Rugby
Pat the Ex Mat

Re: Sydney.... fvcked

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:10 am One week on from protests and still people not taking personal responsibility- it’s going to happen.

It’s now looking more and more like a Melbourne 100d lockdown….
Large groups of people sitting around in the parks near me.

Clueless.

As for the 70/80 plan......I'm really glad we have a government in place that took the time to get to that figure... :(
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:22 am
Brumbie_Steve wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:48 pm
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:03 am I'm waiting for the Police to shutdown Bondi.....

:roll:
If they start transmitting the virus like they are out west I would demand they do so and throw the book at fuckwits who should know better. Even if we don't like to say it western Sydney and south western Sydney do appear to be the problem at the moment.
Did you not see the "Cocktail Trail" that was created - people getting wasted and businesses continuning to serve them

If there is not a cluster from this I'd be very, very surprised.
There was a party in my apartment building last night, went until 2am. Wasn't in my tower (my elevator section) so I had no idea where it was coming from. People are the worst.

@BrumbieSteve: Come on bro, we all know those people out west were moving around more due to "essential" reasons, and they live in much closer quarters, there's reasons outside of (all) people being the worst for the large spread out there. People have been taking the piss in the city and the east for weeks now but the potential for spreading to take off is just lower here. Even so nearly every place I can shop in my wider area has had public notices.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

I wonder how many people who are impulse buying and online food-shopping during Covid blame the Westies who have to work in the warehouses that facilitate these purchases?

shanky

Post by shanky »

Uncle
Thanks for the extra info

And Pfizer is not approved here in Australia for under 16s. I acknowledge that this may change
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Berejiklian is unleashing on the "other states" and attacking the way they are managing their outbreaks. I assume that she does this because it plays well to her base?
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

shanky wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:38 am Uncle

And Pfizer is not approved here in Australia for under 16s. I acknowledge that this may change
https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the ... -year-olds

https://www.tga.gov.au/covid-19-vaccine ... -and-older
shanky

Post by shanky »

UncleFB wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:45 am

I stand corrected :thumbup:
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

shanky wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:46 am
UncleFB wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:45 am

I stand corrected :thumbup:
:thumbup:
Working Class Rugger

Post by Working Class Rugger »

UncleFB wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:31 am
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:03 am I'm waiting for the Police to shutdown Bondi.....

If they start transmitting the virus like they are out west I would demand they do so and throw the book at fuckwits who should know better. Even if we don't like to say it western Sydney and south western Sydney do appear to be the problem at the moment.
Did you not see the "Cocktail Trail" that was created - people getting wasted and businesses continuning to serve them

There was a party in my apartment building last night, went until 2am. Wasn't in my tower (my elevator section) so I had no idea where it was coming from. People are the worst.

@BrumbieSteve: Come on bro, we all know those people out west were moving around more due to "essential" reasons, and they live in much closer quarters, there's reasons outside of (all) people being the worst for the large spread out there. People have been taking the piss in the city and the east for weeks now but the potential for spreading to take off is just lower here. Even so nearly every place I can shop in my wider area has had public notices.
Did you report them?
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

I know people working very close to the centre of this. The western clusters are being caused by large family gatherings, religious gatherings, people who are ill not getting tested and still going to work and exacerbated by people blatantly lying about their activities.

If you have limited manpower where do you concentrate your activities to reduce the spread. Where it is actually being spread or where you wouldn't be surprised if it spread because of peoples behaviour?
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... e-hazzard/

NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard says authorities will keep harsher lockdown measures in specific local government areas despite calls to expand certain rules for all of Sydney.

The Australian Medical Association President Dr Omar Khorshid has called for travel limits within a five kilometre radius from home and outdoor mask wearing rules to be extended beyond eight local government areas.

"We're trying to strike a balance and I think the balance is appropriate," Mr Hazzard told ABC's Insiders program on Sunday.

He said when Sydney locked down the northern beaches during an outbreak last year and the eastern suburbs during this outbreak there was a "high level of compliance". The lockdown in Sydney's southwest had been more "challenging", he said.

NSW recorded its 14th death in this current outbreak on Saturday, a man in his 60s who died at home in southwest Sydney.

When asked about his previous comments that Sydney families were turning up to hospitals with a COVID-19 infected relative who is "not alive but dead" the minister said he would not go into the family's "personal circumstances".

"All I'll say is that there was broad infection in the family and there was no effort to get to health authorities, as I understand it, until it was too late," Mr Hazzard said.

Mr Hazzard said there was a reluctance for large "refugee family groups" where there are few income earners to come forward to health authorities.

"They've suffered greatly in their own nations, in their own countries," he said. "What we are trying to do is tell them, if you have got any symptoms at all or have been in contact with positive cases, please come forward to health. Health is only there to look after you."

The state recorded 210 new locally acquired cases in the 24 hours to 8pm on Friday.

At least 32 of these infected people are known to have been so while in the community at least part of the time but the isolation status of a further 120 cases is still under investigation.

There are 203 people in hospital with COVID-19 in NSW. Twenty-seven are ventilated.

The risk of COVID-positive patients coming into hospital and sending hundreds of health workers into isolation has led the state to suspend non-urgent elective surgery.

Mr Hazzard said on Saturday a number of procedures will be dealt with by the private health system instead.

Greater Sydney and surrounding regions are in lockdown until at least August 28, as health authorities battle to contain a outbreak of the virulent Delta strain.

Saturday marked the return to work for the construction sector after a fortnight-long enforced break, with work allowed to resume on non-occupied sites provided COVID-safe plans are in force.

But the sector cannot call on 68,000 workers - or 42 per cent of the workforce - from eight council areas worst-hit by the city's coronavirus outbreak.

The state's workplace safety regulator says construction sites should expect a visit to ensure they're complying with public health orders.

Meanwhile a threatened anti-lockdown protest in central Sydney failed to eventuate on Saturday.

Police set up an exclusion zone around the city between 9am and 3pm after warning taxi and rideshare companies they would face fines of up to half a million dollars for transporting passengers into the CBD.

Australian Associated Press
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

So the narrative being created by the NSW state government is that they didn't go earlier and harder with their lockdown because the didn't know that they needed to.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Sky News Australia suspended from YouTube
By Angus Thompson
Sky News has been suspended from uploading content to YouTube for a week after the video and livestreaming platform claimed the media organisation breached its COVID-19 misinformation standards.

In a statement issued to Nine newspapers this afternoon, a Youtube spokesperson said the website had taken steps against Sky, including removing videos from the media outlet’s online channel and issuing a ‘strike’ against it, causing it to be temporarily suspended from uploading new content.

“We have clear and established COVID-19 medical misinformation policies based on local and global health authority guidance, to prevent the spread of COVID-19 misinformation that could cause real-world harm,” a YouTube spokesperson said in a statement.

“We apply our policies equally for everyone regardless of uploader, and in accordance with these policies and our long-standing strikes system, removed videos from and issued a strike to Sky News Australia’s channel.”

YouTube has not said what videos published by Sky it removed, but the platform doesn’t allow content medical misinformation about COVID-19 “that poses a serious risk of egregious harm in contradiction with local and global health authorities’ guidance about COVID-19 treatment, prevention, transmission, and social distancing.”

Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:32 am So the narrative being created by the NSW state government is that they didn't go earlier and harder with their lockdown because the didn't know that they needed to.

I thought hey have been trying to push that bullshit line for some time, Morrison has been doing the groundwork for him.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

grievous wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:35 am
Sky News Australia suspended from YouTube
By Angus Thompson
Sky News has been suspended from uploading content to YouTube for a week after the video and livestreaming platform claimed the media organisation breached its COVID-19 misinformation standards.

In a statement issued to Nine newspapers this afternoon, a Youtube spokesperson said the website had taken steps against Sky, including removing videos from the media outlet’s online channel and issuing a ‘strike’ against it, causing it to be temporarily suspended from uploading new content.

“We have clear and established COVID-19 medical misinformation policies based on local and global health authority guidance, to prevent the spread of COVID-19 misinformation that could cause real-world harm,” a YouTube spokesperson said in a statement.

“We apply our policies equally for everyone regardless of uploader, and in accordance with these policies and our long-standing strikes system, removed videos from and issued a strike to Sky News Australia’s channel.”

YouTube has not said what videos published by Sky it removed, but the platform doesn’t allow content medical misinformation about COVID-19 “that poses a serious risk of egregious harm in contradiction with local and global health authorities’ guidance about COVID-19 treatment, prevention, transmission, and social distancing.”

:lol: :lol: :thumbup:
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Working Class Rugger wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:12 am

Did you report them?
I didn't know there was a dob in line so I notified the strata, I ran into our Mrs Mangle in the foyer this morning and she said she phoned it in, but no one on our part of the building knew where it was, so I guess it's down to the people in that part of the building.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Brumbie_Steve wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:23 am

I know people working very close to the centre of this. The western clusters are being caused by large family gatherings, religious gatherings, people who are ill not getting tested and still going to work and exacerbated by people blatantly lying about their activities.

If you have limited manpower where do you concentrate your activities to reduce the spread. Where it is actually being spread or where you wouldn't be surprised if it spread because of peoples behaviour?
The point wasn't that there aren't shitheads out there, just that there's shitheads in other places as well who aren't getting laid into by the Pollies in press conferences, and there's a number of factors which increase the likelihood of spread out there that is not just people being shitheads.

I've got extended family out that way and they're doing a tougher lockdown than I am and have been since the day they went into lockdown (which is was after us).
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Hard luck lads we went through this and worse. Vaccinations are the only route out, we are nearly at herd immunity now thank fudge. Once the vaccination roll out ramps up you’ll be laughing. We were quite sly in kind of unofficially linking the vaccine roll out to reopening the pubs - we saw the mistake that Boris made by announcing a freedom day with no quid pro quo
Working Class Rugger

UncleFB wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:52 am

Did you report them?
I didn't know there was a dob in line so I notified the strata, I ran into our Mrs Mangle in the foyer this morning and she said she phoned it in, but no one on our part of the building knew where it was, so I guess it's down to the people in that part of the building.
The cops.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Working Class Rugger wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:25 am
UncleFB wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:52 am

Did you report them?
The cops.
Have you not been following my posting? The cops don't exist in this part of Sydney. I can't even remember what colour they wear. It's pink right?
Working Class Rugger

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:03 am Hard luck lads we went through this and worse. Vaccinations are the only route out, we are nearly at herd immunity now thank fudge. Once the vaccination roll out ramps up you’ll be laughing. We were quite sly in kind of unofficially linking the vaccine roll out to reopening the pubs - we saw the mistake that Boris made by announcing a freedom day with no quid pro quo
Honestly, something like this will likely be needed. There's bunch of people in my workplace that without such measures would definitely drag their feet on getting the vaccine. If they got it at all.
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Working Class Rugger wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:32 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:03 am Hard luck lads we went through this and worse. Vaccinations are the only route out, we are nearly at herd immunity now thank fudge. Once the vaccination roll out ramps up you’ll be laughing. We were quite sly in kind of unofficially linking the vaccine roll out to reopening the pubs - we saw the mistake that Boris made by announcing a freedom day with no quid pro quo
Honestly, something like this will likely be needed. There's bunch of people in my workplace that without such measures would definitely drag their feet on getting the vaccine. If they got it at all.
As soon as there are more vaccines available than arms to put them in the govt should announce the opening up of the country in 3 months time. At the same time they should announce that a maximum of 30% of ICU beds will be available to unvaccinated patients (with the exception of people who cant get vaccinated).
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Brumbie_Steve wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:43 am
As soon as there are more vaccines available than arms to put them in the govt should announce the opening up of the country in 3 months time. At the same time they should announce that a maximum of 30% of ICU beds will be available to unvaccinated patients (with the exception of people who cant get vaccinated).
As much as I'd like everyone to get vaccinated I'm uncomfortable withholding medical care from unvaccinated people. There has to be a way to incentivise people getting jabbed.
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:51 am
As much as I'd like everyone to get vaccinated I'm uncomfortable withholding medical care from unvaccinated people. There has to be a way to incentivise people getting jabbed.
In my experience I've found a significantly increased likelihood of dying to be a significant motivator.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Working Class Rugger

Part of me wants to agree in terms of the rabid anti-covid/vax types but in terms of actually caring about someone's rights I tend to believe a better alternative is to make them actually pay for any medical care related to Covid as opposed to them being covered by Medicare. So if you choose not to get vaccinated when there's nothing medically stopping you from doing so then you have to cover 100% of the costs of treating you if your require hospitalisation. And 50% if you have only received 1 shot but haven't booked in to receive your 2nd shot. Or missed it. Hit them where it hurts them the most. The wallet.
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

I am not a fan of limiting access to medical care based on ability to pay. I cannot see many or even any of the debts being enforced. I do have a problem when the 'rights' of the few impinge on the rights of the many, even more so when the the exercise of those 'rights' are 100% the cause of the problem.
Working Class Rugger

Brumbie_Steve wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:45 am I am not a fan of limiting access to medical care based on ability to pay. I cannot see many or even any of the debts being enforced. I do have a problem when the 'rights' of the few impinge on the rights of the many, even more so when the the exercise of those 'rights' are 100% the cause of the problem.
I'm not suggesting we limit access. They can gain access. But they should be given the bill afterwards with measures put in place to enforce the fines. Suspend licences, garnish wages/welfare etc. And for extreme non compliance. Gaol time.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Surely it would be cheaper and more effective to incentivise getting vaccinated? Give every person who gets vaccinated $100 on the spot.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:55 am Surely it would be cheaper and more effective to incentivise getting vaccinated? Give every person who gets vaccinated $100 on the spot.
That is setting an unsustainable precedent. The same offer would have to be made for every vaccination and booster from here on in.

The fact is, vaccination uptake is inversely proportional to Covid deaths. Real fear is the only incentive.
Last edited by Muttonbirds on Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Working Class Rugger

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:55 am Surely it would be cheaper and more effective to incentivise getting vaccinated? Give every person who gets vaccinated $100 on the spot.
There's still a reasonable minority of people who wouldn't get vaccinated. Which will require a multi pronged approach. Carrot and stick.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

And not one medical ethic in sight.
Farva

Post by Farva »

I’m with you with the exception of the beds bit. However, if it does come down to triage then the bed should go to someone who is vaccinated or cannot get vaccinated for medical reasons, or is there for non Covid reasons, before anti Vaxxers. My worry is that it might get taken further and if you are at fault for an injury (head on traffic offence for example) then we shouldn’t be limiting beds, so why do it for vaccine decisions.
I am all for limiting interaction in society to those not getting vaccinated for non medical reasons.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Working Class Rugger wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:59 am
There's still a reasonable minority of people who wouldn't get vaccinated. Which will require a multi pronged approach. Carrot and stick.
The report that Shanky was discussing earlier mentions a lottery for vaccinated people, which has been happening in the US in some states to reasonable success I think.

You just want to get that minority down as low as possible.

Agree with your earlier comment re: the bills. I
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

bimboman wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:00 am

And not one medical ethic in sight.
Stop fvcking engaging with me on this forum you stupid cvnt.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Brumbie_Steve wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:35 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:32 am So the narrative being created by the NSW state government is that they didn't go earlier and harder with their lockdown because the didn't know that they needed to.

I thought hey have been trying to push that bullshit line for some time, Morrison has been doing the groundwork for him.
I feel for Gladys in part. I don’t object to her actions on delaying initially. She doesn’t want to go too hard too early as lockdowns have a huge impact on society. Plus NSW have managed to beat outbreaks previously. It’s not the wrong move (well in hindsight it is but hindsight is tough) to back her contact tracers.
Where she fell down is pride in trying to not learn from Vic and other states based on what they learned. She couldn’t swallow her pride. That is well worth criticism.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

You're running into some very dodgy legal and moral ground with all of these suggestions.

Very, very dodgy.
Working Class Rugger

UncleFB wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:01 am
Working Class Rugger wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:59 am
The report that Shanky was discussing earlier mentions a lottery for vaccinated people, which has been happening in the US in some states to reasonable success I think.

You just want to get that minority down as low as possible.

Agree with your earlier comment re: the bills. I
I'm not opposed to a lottery. But as before I think it will require several measures designed to encourage compliance while making people's who choose not to vaccinate for non-medical reason lives more difficult than in general. It may seem harsh but it's about time people propagating and spreading such dangerous mythos around vaccines need to face consequences for their actions.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

I am all for limiting interaction in society to those not getting vaccinated for non medical reasons.

“The ghettos are for TB isolation and for all of societies good” .
Working Class Rugger

guy smiley wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:05 am You're running into some very dodgy legal and moral ground with all of these suggestions.

Very, very dodgy.
What's morally dodgy from my perspective in the utter disdain for the collective welfare of our community being shown by those driving dangerous misinformation and beliefs.