Picking 5 ‘Scottish’ players in the match day squad? :lol: :lol:

Jesus Christ.

And only picking two Welsh players. Who are the 6N champions? :lol:

Deserved loss. What a miserable watch.

A horrible spectacle of rugby.
af73

Re: You get what you deserve, Gatland.

Post by af73 »

... or picking a 10 who passed the ball what, 3 times in 58 minutes or a scrum half we are still waiting to show up at one of last weeks breakdowns?

Warrenball selection from 1-12 built to defend and contain scores 9 and concedes 27 gets what it deserves.

Tour squad looked about right if they were going to try and do something other than a facsimile of what SA do. Tactics then reverted to type. Be as well playing 3 x #8's at the back if it just going to be high ball all day and no attacking.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Derwyn wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:32 am Picking 5 ‘Scottish’ players in the match day squad? :lol: :lol:

Jesus Christ.

In fairness nobody expected Hogg to be that bad. I’m not a massive fan of him because he always makes big mistakes but he’s a better player than he showed yesterday.

VDM should have been taken off after the trip. Another ref would have rightly given him red for that.

Sutherland can’t compete at this level the Boks were just toying with him

Most of us had no problem with the Harris selection so that’s unfair.

Really, The Scot he should have picked Price was left on the bench.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I hope he makes changes and gives it a lash in the 3rd test. That was the worst rugby I can remember.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Derwyn wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:32 am Picking 5 ‘Scottish’ players in the match day squad? :lol: :lol:

Jesus Christ.

“Only welsh players can succeed with Gatland ball”.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

DragsterDriver wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:11 am I hope he makes changes and gives it a lash in the 3rd test. That was the worst rugby I can remember.
The Boks have the momentum now so we are up against it. Raynal will be big. I’d go with a Welsh back 3, price at 9, keep Biggar Henshaw Harris. Starting pack stays as is but Beard in for AWJ. We have problems with the forwards on the bench.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:14 am
DragsterDriver wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:11 am I hope he makes changes and gives it a lash in the 3rd test. That was the worst rugby I can remember.
The Boks have the momentum now so we are up against it. Raynal will be big. I’d go with a Welsh back 3, price at 9, keep Biggar Henshaw Harris. Starting pack stays as is but Beard in for AWJ. We have problems with the forwards on the bench.

This .....
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

The reality is that this is just about the weakest Lions squad for as long as I can remember. 8,9,10,12,13, everyone average with the exception of Henshaw.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Not enough Irish.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:14 am
Mostly agree. I suspect Itoje won’t play, I’d probably go for mobility in the back row now- unless we run the Boks around they’re fully awake and on top. I want us to give it a lash if he drops the back three- Boks have us on toast out wide and in the air. I would start price and smith because why not?
Clive

Post by Clive »

Backrow and back three were abysmal and not at the races problem we have is at 8 toby is not playing well so who do you put at 8,
Curry was appalling and Lawes was away with the fairies.
Scrum half is a problem area we just don't have a class operator there.
So do the lions gamble with Adams Williams LRZ as the back three.
Curry to 8 Watson to 7 and Navidi to 6.
Beard has to start or feature in the 23 to replace awj who looked tired yesterday
Hope Wyn Jones recovers to start, we will have to rum more next week if the tactics are the same we will lose.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Sefton wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:15 am The reality is that this is just about the weakest Lions squad for as long as I can remember. 8,9,10,12,13, everyone average with the exception of Henshaw.
At least there are some on the bored that are realist and actually understand rugby. This is not a vintage Lions team and they can be lucky that Covid has affected the game and Bok team so badly.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

Would have loved tor see Vermeulen and Snyman against this lot
Last edited by Monk Zombie on Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Clive wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:55 am Backrow and back three were abysmal and not at the races problem we have is at 8 toby is not playing well so who do you put at 8,
Curry was appalling and Lawes was away with the fairies.
Scrum half is a problem area we just don't have a class operator there.
So do the lions gamble with Adams Williams LRZ as the back three.
Curry to 8 Watson to 7 and Navidi to 6.
Beard has to start or feature in the 23 to replace awj who looked tired yesterday
Hope Wyn Jones recovers to start, we will have to rum more next week if the tactics are the same we will lose.
I wouldn’t like to see Curry at 8 if you think he’s struggling at 7 . I think Faletau will come in at 8, Curry kept at 7 and maybe Beirne at 6
Jake

Post by Jake »

Itoje will play on the flank next week, Hendo into the row. Mark my words.

Smith will be on the bench, Farrell and Aki into midfield, Sanjay and Adams for the Scots, Price at 9.

I'd also consider Navidi. Poss at 8.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

I think replace AWJ with Beard. I'm only basing that on him killing the Bok maul which won the match yesterday.

It's going to be Biggar again but he could put Marcus on the bench. Lions need a plan B next time
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

Beard deserves a spot - real talent this boykie

Curry and Conan were nowhere yesterday against a substandard Bok loose trio
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Won't be much change next week. SA blew themselves out this week. No way they'll manage that two weeks in a row,
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Horrible tour for Gatland
Most of the replacements above had very little game time and now the Boks are the more battle hardened
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Hogg and the big Saffa are toast.

Sutherland depends on Wyn's shoulder. He was the worst sub I've ever seen in a Lions shirt

Curry for all his hype hasn't been great. Manc Hamish is no alternative though

Anyone suggesting Aki should not be taken seriously
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Frodder wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:41 am

Sutherland depends on Wyn's shoulder. He was the worst sub I've ever seen in a Lions shirt
Worse than ROG?
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

did ROG get a card for his stupid challenge on FdP in the defining moment of the last series?
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:21 pm

Worse than ROG?
Yes, I'm calling it
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Worse than ROG?
Frodder is still passed, Ken Owens is the worst sub.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Sefton wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:50 pm

Worse than ROG?
Frodder is still passed, Ken Owens is the worst sub.
I'm really passed that's for sure
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Ken owens cant throw a ball in, we all knew that
C69

Post by C69 »

AND-y wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:56 pm Ken owens cant throw a ball in, we all knew that
He has been known to be a bit askew with his darts tbh.
Not a vintage Tour tbh, but with the players at his disposal yesterday should never have happened.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

There were 4 Scotland players in the starting line-up last week.

Glass houses and stones.
IKUR01

Post by IKUR01 »

Northern Hemisphere logic everywhere.
You can not out bosh the springboks! Choose a more mobile pack and fast, skillful backs and move the big fellas around and you might get the win.
You need a 10 that attacks to set the backline alight. At least 1 midfield who is a genuine threat with the ball and 2 of the back 3 need something (speed, footwork etc).
Faster loosies that can play as well (pity tipuric is injured he would be ideal) and not passengers like AWJ.
Have some good front rowers with playing ability like cowan dickie, jamie george, mako, furlong.
Lions definitely have the players but the selections and shitty game plan make it difficult
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

IKUR01 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:14 am Northern Hemisphere logic everywhere.
You can not out bosh the springboks! Choose a more mobile pack and fast, skillful backs and move the big fellas around and you might get the win.
You need a 10 that attacks to set the backline alight. At least 1 midfield who is a genuine threat with the ball and 2 of the back 3 need something (speed, footwork etc).
Faster loosies that can play as well (pity tipuric is injured he would be ideal) and not passengers like AWJ.
Have some good front rowers with playing ability like cowan dickie, jamie george, mako, furlong.
Lions definitely have the players but the selections and shitty game plan make it difficult
You realise the coach is a kiwi yeah
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Duff Paddy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:45 am
You realise the coach is a kiwi yeah
He's not wrong about Tips though. He's always had excellent games against the Saffas
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

Good post. Even if we lose I would like to see it tried. Anything but that anti rugby in the last two tests.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Gotta say both tests have been very disappointing as quality go .
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

AND-y wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:56 pm Ken owens cant throw a ball in, we all knew that
The lineout has been a shït show in both tests.
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

Bollocks. Hogg field those kicks it’s a different game.
Rocketz

Post by Rocketz »

Martin Johnson - the Boks have no plan B, if plan A fails they just do plan A again but better
IKUR01

Post by IKUR01 »

mr flaps wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:10 pm
No its not a different game. Its exactly the same boring, bosh no skill game. He just catches the ball.
When lions and welsh teams come over and beat the abs (70s i think) with the great attacking teams we changed tact and followed suit and look what become of the abs over the years.
Aus teams of 99 early 2000s were so inventive with their plays (gregan ball, front door back door with inside pass etc). Abs copied and grew their game and became better at it.
Their needs to be a shift of mentality in the north about how to play rugby. Alot think like you. Happy with a turgid game of bosh and make excuses like "if Hogg catches the ball the game is different"
If you have an attacking mindset, the game will be different
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

IKUR01 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:41 pm
mr flaps wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:10 pm
No its not a different game. Its exactly the same boring, bosh no skill game. He just catches the ball.
When lions and welsh teams come over and beat the abs (70s i think) with the great attacking teams we changed tact and followed suit and look what become of the abs over the years.
Aus teams of 99 early 2000s were so inventive with their plays (gregan ball, front door back door with inside pass etc). Abs copied and grew their game and became better at it.
Their needs to be a shift of mentality in the north about how to play rugby. Alot think like you. Happy with a turgid game of bosh and make excuses like "if Hogg catches the ball the game is different"
If you have an attacking mindset, the game will be different
We being led by a Kiwi FFS - it isn't a NH thing.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

Sensational post :thumbup:

Gatland's obsession with Warrenball has cost us this series.

It's all well and good slapping the Aussies and Kiwis about, but Warrenball doesn't cut it against the Boks
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

A logical, Bok-beating XV for this series would have been something like:

1. Mako
2. LCD
3. Furlong
4. Itoje
5. Lawes
6. Beirne
7. Curry
8. Conan
9. Price
10. Ford
11. May
12. Henshaw
13. Slade
14. Adams
15. Steward

And, most importantly, fine the players their entire match fees if they passed the ball fewer than 200 times in the match