The official Lions 2021 thread

All things Rugby
Magpie26
Posts: 2718
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Magpie26 »

CM11 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:23 pm Henshaw is a step down because Farrell at 12, in form, is exactly what's needed. However that would push Henshaw out and I think he'd match Davies there or at least give him a run for his money. The story of Henshaw's career is that he keeps being pushed into 12 because he's physical enough for the position while we've had enough quality at 13 for it to make sense (and less quality at 12) but 13 is definitely his best position.
Pretty much agree.
OomStruisbaai
Posts: 22525
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Struisbaai

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Magpie26 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:34 pm
OomStruisbaai wrote:
Your scoresheet looked different then last week. 8)
Why?
It was all Lions last week. Week is a long time in rugby
Magpie26
Posts: 2718
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Magpie26 »

OomStruisbaai wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:40 pm
Magpie26 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:34 pm
OomStruisbaai wrote:
Your scoresheet looked different then last week. 8)
Why?
It was all Lions last week. Week is a long time in rugby
How would that alter my opinion on this Lions team vs 2017.
As a neutral the Lions could win the series but it wouldn't change my opinion that they are a step down from 4 years ago.
User avatar
DragsterDriver
Posts: 27290
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Big Willi Style

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by DragsterDriver »

Magpie26 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:37 pm
CM11 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:23 pm Henshaw is a step down because Farrell at 12, in form, is exactly what's needed. However that would push Henshaw out and I think he'd match Davies there or at least give him a run for his money. The story of Henshaw's career is that he keeps being pushed into 12 because he's physical enough for the position while we've had enough quality at 13 for it to make sense (and less quality at 12) but 13 is definitely his best position.
Pretty much agree.
I thought he was a better 15 but Ireland are well stocked there :)
mr flaps
Posts: 2394
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by mr flaps »

Jake wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:22 pm To improve this side is very hard. We all agreed at the outset selection was very marginal and by dint of that, there's very little to choose between the players.

AWJ worked hard, but the fact he's taken one single line out in the tests does amplify his limitations- he's currently rugby's own Mike Brearley. But he's earned his swan song and I'd prob just stick with him

However, you need to do four things- get the biggest lumps on, secure the back three in air, get power in carry and get a game changer on the bench.

Nobody has shone at eight, but I know Navidi won't take a step back. Hill is the best scrummager we have so he's in. Faz in because I think a change is needed and he'll relish, plus Bigs carrying a knock I believe

Here's what I'd do:

Williams
Watson
Henshaw
Aki
Adams

Farrell
Price

Wyn Fat
LCD
Furlong

Hill
AWJ or Beard

Itoje
Curry
Navidi

Bench
Mak, Jinx, Sinks, Beard or Hendo, Simmonds, Davies, Smith, LRZ

Jesus wept.
User avatar
Last Line
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Last Line »

Jesus wept indeed. There is no selection that will win next week. I can only see a Bok win, likely a big one. I haven't been this sure for a while.
User avatar
Jensrsa
Posts: 26193
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Jensrsa »

Sharks scrumhalf Jaden Hendrikse has been called up to the Springbok squad.

Hendrikse’s inclusion comes amid injury doubts around Faf de Klerk.

De Klerk seemed to suffer a leg injury in the second half of the second Test against the British and Irish Lions.
https://rugby365.com/tournaments/britis ... scrumhalf/
User avatar
Frodder
Posts: 12570
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Frodder »

ROG says the backline should include Murray, Aki and Henshaw. Can you spot a theme
User avatar
Mr. Very Popular
Posts: 21946
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Snclair cited for biting :shock:
User avatar
Mr. Very Popular
Posts: 21946
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Frodder wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:00 pm ROG says the backline should include Murray, Aki and Henshaw. Can you spot a theme
Yup, players that have played together.
User avatar
Frodder
Posts: 12570
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Frodder »

Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:01 pm Snclair cited for biting :shock:
Shit!
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 13299
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by sorCrer »

A statement from World Rugby read: "British and Irish Lions player Kyle Sinckler will attend an independent disciplinary hearing after he was cited by Scott Nowland (Australia) for an act of foul play contrary to Law 9.12 (biting) in the second test against South Africa in Cape Town on 31 July, 2021

:shock:
User avatar
RWC2015
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by RWC2015 »

Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:02 pm
Frodder wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:00 pm ROG says the backline should include Murray, Aki and Henshaw. Can you spot a theme
Yup, players that have played together.
Controversial opinion but Murray was excellent. Lions were 9-11 down when he went off. Passing and kicking on the money and the only piece of creative play in tests came from him (chip for Henshaw). I say this as a massive murray skeptic. Price is pretty shite.
User avatar
Jensrsa
Posts: 26193
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Jensrsa »

Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:01 pm Snclair cited for biting :shock:
Wow! This came from left field given Hogg, Itoje and Kolbe were in the news
User avatar
DragsterDriver
Posts: 27290
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Big Willi Style

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by DragsterDriver »

RWC2015 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:12 pm
Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:02 pm
Frodder wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:00 pm ROG says the backline should include Murray, Aki and Henshaw. Can you spot a theme
Yup, players that have played together.
Controversial opinion but Murray was excellent. Lions were 9-11 down when he went off. Passing and kicking on the money and the only piece of creative play in tests came from him (chip for Henshaw). I say this as a massive murray skeptic. Price is pretty shite.
What??

You’d be quicker calling the AA to the breakdown :lol:
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 13299
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by sorCrer »

Jensrsa wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:13 pm
Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:01 pm Snclair cited for biting :shock:
Wow! This came from left field given Hogg, Itoje and Kolbe were in the news
Happened while Itoje was kneeing De Allende.
OomStruisbaai
Posts: 22525
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Struisbaai

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by OomStruisbaai »

sorCrer wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:22 pm
Jensrsa wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:13 pm
Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:01 pm Snclair cited for biting :shock:
Wow! This came from left field given Hogg, Itoje and Kolbe were in the news
Happened while Itoje was kneeing De Allende.
Who did he bite?
User avatar
DragsterDriver
Posts: 27290
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Big Willi Style

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by DragsterDriver »

Nothing to see on the sinkler footage, think it’s etzebeth with him in a headlock at the breakdown.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 43292
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Anonymous 1 »

OomStruisbaai wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:28 pm
sorCrer wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:22 pm
Jensrsa wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:13 pm
Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:01 pm Snclair cited for biting :shock:
Wow! This came from left field given Hogg, Itoje and Kolbe were in the news
Happened while Itoje was kneeing De Allende.
Who did he bite?
no one
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 13299
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by sorCrer »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:30 pm
OomStruisbaai wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:28 pm
sorCrer wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:22 pm
Jensrsa wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:13 pm
Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:01 pm Snclair cited for biting :shock:
Wow! This came from left field given Hogg, Itoje and Kolbe were in the news
Happened while Itoje was kneeing De Allende.
Who did he bite?
no one
https://youtu.be/5zUvVbGWox4?t=672

A few seconds in you can hear Kolisi and the ref discussing this. At the time I thought they were talking about Itoje kneeing De Allende. Sinckler is miles away from anyone in that clip though.
User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 13299
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by sorCrer »

OomStruisbaai wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:28 pm
sorCrer wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:22 pm
Jensrsa wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:13 pm
Mr. Very Popular wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:01 pm Snclair cited for biting :shock:
Wow! This came from left field given Hogg, Itoje and Kolbe were in the news
Happened while Itoje was kneeing De Allende.
Who did he bite?
Sous
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 43292
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Anonymous 1 »

sorCrer wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:31 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:30 pm
OomStruisbaai wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:28 pm
sorCrer wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:22 pm
Jensrsa wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:13 pm
Wow! This came from left field given Hogg, Itoje and Kolbe were in the news
Happened while Itoje was kneeing De Allende.
Who did he bite?
no one
https://youtu.be/5zUvVbGWox4?t=672

A few seconds in you can hear Kolisi and the ref discussing this. At the time I thought they were talking about Itoje kneeing De Allende. Sinckler is miles away from anyone in that clip though.
blank screen. :yawn:
User avatar
Frodder
Posts: 12570
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Frodder »

So if Wyn Jones shoulder isn't right we could have Sutherland and Fagerson propping at the end of the game
User avatar
TheSmurf
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:22 am
Location: Safferland

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by TheSmurf »

Quite a bit of attempted murder and cannibalism in this match. I thought at the time it was rough, but I underestimated by a long way :lol:
ovalball
Posts: 13387
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by ovalball »

Nor sure a change of Lion's personnel will make a huge difference - most of the selection calls are pretty marginal - but that also means it might be worth getting some fresh legs in the team. And one or two players may have had their confidence knocked a bit.

Can't see Gatland making a whole raft of changes.
User avatar
Jensrsa
Posts: 26193
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Jensrsa »

Image
User avatar
Sefton
Posts: 16982
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Sefton »

C69 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:15 pm :thumbup:
Sefton wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:00 pm
AND-y wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:10 pm I wanna stick up for the taffs and mock the nordies but willie knows more about second and backrow play than most on here and id take his opinion over jakes every time.
Jake played back row at a high level.
Not as high as you though :shock:


Iirc
But that was back when it was 4 points for a try.
themaddog
Posts: 5446
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by themaddog »

Frodder wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:00 pm ROG says the backline should include Murray, Aki and Henshaw. Can you spot a theme
Yeah, none of them are Scottish.
User avatar
Jeff the Bear
Posts: 19895
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Jake wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:22 pm

AWJ worked hard, but the fact he's taken one single line out in the tests does amplify his limitations- he's currently rugby's own Mike Brearley. But he's earned his swan song and I'd prob just stick with him

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a hilarious strawman. AWJ doesn't deserve his place because he isn't the best in part of the game where the Lions do not have an issue? Your point holds absolutely no weight, as it's not the lineout where the Lions are losing the game.

Where they did lose the game however was in their lack of physicality in the second half. I find it remarkable for instance, if not totally expected, that the English fans haven't mentioned Curry's disappearing act. Even more ridiculous is that the English fans won;t touch with a 10 foot barge pole the fact that Wonder Boy Itoje managed, in one of the biggest games of career, only 4 tackles (AWJ hit 14). How is that not the nub of the issue? How is it not the issue that across both tests, AWJ has better per carry carrying stats than Itoje (1.15m per carry compared to 0.66m per carry)? They even had the same turnover stats during the weekends game.

Is Itoje actually as good as we all think, or are we suffering from 'Stephen Jones disease', and talking about a player who's been good in the past because it's any easy talking point?
User avatar
DragsterDriver
Posts: 27290
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Big Willi Style

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by DragsterDriver »

If you hang around the breakdown it's easy to post high tackle counts soaking up runners. AWJ defends where you'd expect a prop to be blowing.
User avatar
lilyw
Posts: 3263
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by lilyw »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:02 pm
Jake wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:22 pm

AWJ worked hard, but the fact he's taken one single line out in the tests does amplify his limitations- he's currently rugby's own Mike Brearley. But he's earned his swan song and I'd prob just stick with him

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a hilarious strawman. AWJ doesn't deserve his place because he isn't the best in part of the game where the Lions do not have an issue? Your point holds absolutely no weight, as it's not the lineout where the Lions are losing the game.

Where they did lose the game however was in their lack of physicality in the second half. I find it remarkable for instance, if not totally expected, that the English fans haven't mentioned Curry's disappearing act. Even more ridiculous is that the English fans won;t touch with a 10 foot barge pole the fact that Wonder Boy Itoje managed, in one of the biggest games of career, only 4 tackles (AWJ hit 14). How is that not the nub of the issue? How is it not the issue that across both tests, AWJ has better per carry carrying stats than Itoje (1.15m per carry compared to 0.66m per carry)? They even had the same turnover stats during the weekends game.

Is Itoje actually as good as we all think, or are we suffering from 'Stephen Jones disease', and talking about a player who's been good in the past because it's any easy talking point?
I really think that Itoje has been living on reputation for the past 18 months. This causes his positive contributions to be lionised and his 60+ minutes of disappearing and ruck inspecting to be ignored. He is coasting and seagulling.
User avatar
Frodder
Posts: 12570
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Frodder »

themaddog wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:58 pm
Frodder wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:00 pm ROG says the backline should include Murray, Aki and Henshaw. Can you spot a theme
Yeah, none of them are Scottish.
Good point, well made
ovalball
Posts: 13387
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by ovalball »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:02 pm
Jake wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:22 pm

AWJ worked hard, but the fact he's taken one single line out in the tests does amplify his limitations- he's currently rugby's own Mike Brearley. But he's earned his swan song and I'd prob just stick with him

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a hilarious strawman. AWJ doesn't deserve his place because he isn't the best in part of the game where the Lions do not have an issue? Your point holds absolutely no weight, as it's not the lineout where the Lions are losing the game.

Where they did lose the game however was in their lack of physicality in the second half. I find it remarkable for instance, if not totally expected, that the English fans haven't mentioned Curry's disappearing act. Even more ridiculous is that the English fans won;t touch with a 10 foot barge pole the fact that Wonder Boy Itoje managed, in one of the biggest games of career, only 4 tackles (AWJ hit 14). How is that not the nub of the issue? How is it not the issue that across both tests, AWJ has better per carry carrying stats than Itoje (1.15m per carry compared to 0.66m per carry)? They even had the same turnover stats during the weekends game.

Is Itoje actually as good as we all think, or are we suffering from 'Stephen Jones disease', and talking about a player who's been good in the past because it's any easy talking point?
If you went purely by the stats, Robshaw would probably have been the GOAT. AWJ has done OK though.
C69
Posts: 42216
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by C69 »

Wtf has an old English journeyman got to do with the the Lions? :lol:
Ffs Robshaw never even got on a Lions Tour let alone any where near the test team.
He reminds me a lot of John Thomas tbh.
ovalball
Posts: 13387
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by ovalball »

C69 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:22 pm Wtf has an old English journeyman got to do with the the Lions? :lol:
Ffs Robshaw never even got on a Lions Tour let alone any where near the test team.
He reminds me a lot of John Thomas tbh.
I think you may have missed the point. That 'journeyman' always produced great stats - but they didn't even get him a game as a dirt tracker.
User avatar
Cartman
Posts: 8060
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Cartman »

ROG's backline for 3rd test. Warburton agrees

Murray, Farrell, Aki, Henshaw, Adams, Watson, Williams
C69
Posts: 42216
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by C69 »

ovalball wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:27 pm
C69 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:22 pm Wtf has an old English journeyman got to do with the the Lions? :lol:
Ffs Robshaw never even got on a Lions Tour let alone any where near the test team.
He reminds me a lot of John Thomas tbh.
I think you may have missed the point. That 'journeyman' always produced great stats - but they didn't even get him a game as a dirt tracker.
No one outside of England rated him or even thinks about him tbh.
Lots of our teams have non entities who ha dloads of caps.
C69
Posts: 42216
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by C69 »

Cartman wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:32 pm ROG's backline for 3rd test. Warburton agrees

Murray, Farrell, Aki, Henshaw, Adams, Watson, Williams
Murray was slower than largactil and unless you want to play turgid rugby dont bother.
User avatar
Frodder
Posts: 12570
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by Frodder »

C69 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:45 pm
Cartman wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:32 pm ROG's backline for 3rd test. Warburton agrees

Murray, Farrell, Aki, Henshaw, Adams, Watson, Williams
Murray was slower than largactil and unless you want to play turgid rugby dont bother.
Aki is a 1D robot. Everything you want from Dr Jaw and less
ovalball
Posts: 13387
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The official Lions 2021 thread

Post by ovalball »

C69 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:44 pm
ovalball wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:27 pm
C69 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:22 pm Wtf has an old English journeyman got to do with the the Lions? :lol:
Ffs Robshaw never even got on a Lions Tour let alone any where near the test team.
He reminds me a lot of John Thomas tbh.
I think you may have missed the point. That 'journeyman' always produced great stats - but they didn't even get him a game as a dirt tracker.
No one outside of England rated him or even thinks about him tbh.
Lots of our teams have non entities who ha dloads of caps.
That's exactly my point - yet he consistenty produced excellent stats at International level.
Post Reply