OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

All things Rugby
La soule

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by La soule »

iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:56 pm I see it like this.

The EU was originally ( as the European coal and steel community) created so European countries wouldn't fight with each other again. It was a US construct.

If the UK ,US and Aus want to contain China to protect western interests then let them . I see that as a good thing and something the EU can benefit from without having to take part.

The EU should focus on its own objectives and that's ensuring prosperity and good trade across the bloc. Massive internal market. We should be thankful.
Yes, fair assessment. Let's take care of our own shit. Plenty of work to do.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:03 pm
DAC_ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:00 pm

The EU was originally ( as the European coal and steel community) created so European countries wouldn't fight with each other again. It was a US construct.

If the UK ,US and Aus want to contain China to protect western interests then let them . I see that as a good thing and something the EU can benefit from without having to take part.

The EU should focus on its own objectives and that's ensuring prosperity and good trade across the bloc. Massive internal market. We should be thankful.
The sub deal is basically a threat to China to make it think twice about taking Taiwan. It's hard being the good guys, you certainly don't get any thanks from your neighbours but, when did we need the approval of the Germans, French and Irish anyway?
You're right. The USA don't need approval from anyone as the Iraq wars and Afghanistan showed.

Somebody said it yesterday. The yanks are using Australia to police China in the Indo Pacific.
Thank goodness.

You're right, you can continue in your club, safe in the knowledge that someone else other than you is keeping an eye on potential enemies that could effect the world.

We tried and failed to bring better lives to the people of Afghanistan. The French, Germans and Irish, again, were more than happy for other people to do that.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

I see that before the news broke about Subgate, VDL was discussing a European Army, again.

Quite a few feathers ruffled I believe.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

DAC_ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:07 pm

The sub deal is basically a threat to China to make it think twice about taking Taiwan. It's hard being the good guys, you certainly don't get any thanks from your neighbours but, when did we need the approval of the Germans, French and Irish anyway?
You're right. The USA don't need approval from anyone as the Iraq wars and Afghanistan showed.

Somebody said it yesterday. The yanks are using Australia to police China in the Indo Pacific.
Thank goodness.

You're right, you can continue in your club, safe in the knowledge that someone else other than you is keeping an eye on potential enemies that could effect the world.

We tried and failed to bring better lives to the people of Afghanistan. The French, Germans and Irish, again, were more than happy for other people to do that.
Keep doing that.

I'm happy to watch from a distance drinking my guinness.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

It still makes me smile that you have to pay 50% more for a pint (in view of the place that actually makes it) than we do in the UK)

Enjoy. :thumbup:
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

DAC_ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:08 pm I see that before the news broke about Subgate, VDL was discussing a European Army, again.

That's going to happen anyway. That's not about China though. That's eastern Europe's security from Russia and who knows with Turkey in future especially if NATO slowly ceases to exist
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:11 pm
DAC_ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:08 pm I see that before the news broke about Subgate, VDL was discussing a European Army, again.

That's going to happen anyway. That's not about China though. That's eastern Europe's security from Russia and who knows with Turkey in future especially if NATO slowly ceases to exist
Yup. Just remember that if NATO slowly ceases to exist, it's not the UK or USA's fault.

Not that you have a dog in the fight, mind.
Last edited by DAC_ on Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

DAC_ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:11 pm It still makes me smile that you have to pay 50% more for a pint (in view of the place that actually makes it) than we do in the UK)

Enjoy. :thumbup:
5 euro for a pint in Dublin. Its almost 5 pounds in Sheffield. I live right beside St Jame's Gate Brewery. Lovely smell of hops this morning
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

DAC_ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:13 pm

Yup. Just remember that if NATO slowly ceases to exist, it's not the UK or USA's fault.

Nope. In between Europe and USA. Couldn't be in a safer place :thumbup:
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Zico wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:46 pm If you believe Nigel Farrage the UK was conned. Michel Barnier played the UK for fools to set himself up for a run at French President.

Touché
Yeah. VDL isn't a totally incapable, lunatic waste of space either, and is just playing the UK to set herself up for a run at Merkel's job.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:15 pm

Not when it comes to Tsunamis you're not! :lol:
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

VDL Is unpopular in Germany.

Brits if anything you should want a German influenced EU and not French run EU.

Right now it's France running the show in the EU. Germany are in flux with Merkel going
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

DAC_ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:18 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:15 pm

Not when it comes to Tsunamis you're not! :lol:
I'm well inland
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:18 pm Right now it's France running the show in the EU. Germany are in flux with Merkel going
Turning out well, I see.
message #2527204

iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:18 pm VDL Is unpopular in Germany.

Right now it's France running the show in the EU. Germany are in flux with Merkel going
Yep. f**king it up left right and centre.
Zico

Post by Zico »

Back on topic.

It's been 5 years since the vote.

Why did the UK leave the EU?
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

DAC_ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:20 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:18 pm Right now it's France running the show in the EU. Germany are in flux with Merkel going
Turning out well, I see.
Barnier running for president now in France. Going back to the right next year
message #2527204

Zico wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:21 pm Back on topic.

Bendy bananas and shit.
La soule

Post by La soule »

Thank goodness.

Puppets in Afghanistan, poodle in the pacific.

And you still think that you guys have any weight and have any impact in the places the US tell you to go to.

Good laugh...

Keep on :thumbup:
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Zico wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:21 pm Back on topic.

You're a bad man :lol:
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

Most people in the UK: It's great that wages are going up, some roles are being more valued than before, workers have an abundance of choice to fit in with their lifestyles:

Remainers: It's a f*cking travesty that we can't import cheap labour so that multinationals can keep wages supressed.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

DAC_ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:26 pm Most people in the UK: It's great that wages are going up, some roles are being more valued than before, workers have an abundance of choice to fit in with their lifestyles:

Remainers: It's a f*cking travesty that we can't import cheap labour so that multinationals can keep wages supressed.
I agree with wages going up being a good thing but it's not that simple. That extra cost to those HGV employers will be passed onto the customer. Prices will go up.

But higher wages are a good thing. We can agree on that
Zico

Post by Zico »

DAC_ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:26 pm Most people in the UK: It's great that wages are going up, some roles are being more valued than before, workers have an abundance of choice to fit in with their lifestyles:

You're stating after effects.

Can anyone remember how they voted at the time and why?
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Can I ask why some British people on here are getting so excited about the military industrial complexes based in their country getting X billion as a result of this deal? Do people think it'll trickle down to the man on the street or something?

Or is it just petty nationalism about getting (albeit only a slice of the pie) one over the Frenchies?
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

feckwanker wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:35 pm Can I ask why some British people on here are getting so excited about the military industrial complexes based in their country getting X billion as a result of this deal? Do people think it'll trickle down to the man on the street or something?

Or is it just petty nationalism about getting (albeit only a slice of the pie) one over the Frenchies?
The latter. The Brits ( English mainly) love getting one over the French
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

feckwanker wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:35 pm Can I ask why some British people on here are getting so excited about the military industrial complexes based in their country getting X billion as a result of this deal? Do people think it'll trickle down to the man on the street or something?

Dam fuc*king right. Next question please.

*no one is getting "excited" you shit stirring gibbon.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

DAC_ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:39 pm

Seems to be quite a lot of posts on it with numerous British posters seemingly rubbing it in French posters noses - that would seem to suggest excitement no?
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

feckwanker wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:41 pm

Seems to be quite a lot of posts on it with numerous British posters seemingly rubbing it in French posters noses - that would seem to suggest excitement no?
It's PR, get a fec*ing grip.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Thank goodness.

We are ever thankful to the Grand British Imperial power.

Glad that you still live under the illusion that the UK has enough clout on its own to matter other than as the puppy of the US of A.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

DAC_ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:44 pm
feckwanker wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:41 pm

It's PR, get a fec*ing grip.
Perhaps you should take some of your own advice every now and then?
message #2527204

TheFrog wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:46 pm

Thank goodness.

Glad that you still live under the illusion that the UK has enough clout on its own to matter other than as the puppy of the US of A.
You seem to live under the illusion that the US could/would have done the same thing had the UK been still backing the Frog bid for this 'deal of the century'.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

iarmhiman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:18 pm VDL Is unpopular in Germany.

Merkel has been in office so long it seems mad her not being there soon. Germany has had stability for a long time.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

For the same reason you’re wänking yourself blind over Brexit.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

DragsterDriver wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:10 pm

For the same reason you’re wänking yourself blind over Brexit.
Am I? That's news to me!

Brexit has been a fucking nightmare here trying to buy stuff in from abroad - not good for anyone, let alone people living in the UK.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Zico wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:30 pm

At the time it was a combination of factors:
- EU immigrants forcing down wages
- EU wanting closer integration, EU army, more powers to manage the Eurozone.... UK wanting the opposite
- UK seeing bad decisions being made in EU that they couldn't control (EU waste, mass immigration, EU red tape...)

This was all neatly summed up by the Leave vote as 'Take Back Control'. It resonated with enough people.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Apart from the factories full of high paid high tech workers and all the other associated revenues from manufacturing of this type ?

It’s quite funny that vaccine banning France didn’t even have to wait a year for its Karma.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

message #2527204 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:02 pm
TheFrog wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:46 pm

Thank goodness.

You seem to live under the illusion that the US could/would have done the same thing had the UK been still backing the Frog bid for this 'deal of the century'.
My comment has nothing to do with the deal of the century, but is entirely focused on DAC'S delusion of British greatness.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

terryfinch wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:31 pm
Zico wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:30 pm

At the time it was a combination of factors:
- EU immigrants forcing down wages
- EU wanting closer integration, EU army, more powers to manage the Eurozone.... UK wanting the opposite
- UK seeing bad decisions being made in EU that they couldn't control (EU waste, mass immigration, EU red tape...)

This was all neatly summed up by the Leave vote as 'Take Back Control'. It resonated with enough people.
Interesting when some British posters talk about this as EU failure...
clementinfrance

Post by clementinfrance »

Thank goodness.

Failed again and again and again in the case of Afghanistan.

And never intervened at the behest of the Afghans themselves of course.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

clementinfrance wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:19 pm

Thank goodness.

Failed again and again and again in the case of Afghanistan.

And never intervened at the behest of the Afghans themselves of course.

The French has 1,000’s of troops in Afghanistan. It’s a joint failure.