Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
Conspicuous

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by Conspicuous »

lorcanoworms wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:41 am Very sorry for your loss TSG.
+1, condolences to you and your family TSG
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Conspicuous wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:08 am
CM11 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:38 am
The Dáil vote roughly reflected the mood of the electorate as revealed in successive opinion polls. Sinn Féin and its allies got the support of 37 per cent of Dáil deputies but over 60 per cent backed Coveney.

The lesson here is that there is a clear anti-Sinn Féin majority in the Dáil and outside it when the chips are down. It means that, in spite of all the predictions, there is nothing inevitable about Sinn Féin taking power after the next election. It may well happen, but only if the Coalition fails to deliver on the issues of concern to a majority of people and, most importantly, if it loses its nerve.
Stephen Collins making the point that I've been making re. SF.

Good article and it'll be interesting to see how Bacik does in DBS in a general election given Labour have thrown in with SF on this petty debate. It was always assumed the SDs would be game but I'd hoped Labour would be more principled.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/labo ... 7?mode=amp
And both of you seem to be making the very dangerous assumption that FF won’t go into power with SF after the next election .
If they do there will be rules attached.

No shinner gets to be minister for justice or defense.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

The Dáil vote roughly reflected the mood of the electorate as revealed in successive opinion polls. Sinn Féin and its allies got the support of 37 per cent of Dáil deputies but over 60 per cent backed Coveney.

The lesson here is that there is a clear anti-Sinn Féin majority in the Dáil and outside it when the chips are down. It means that, in spite of all the predictions, there is nothing inevitable about Sinn Féin taking power after the next election. It may well happen, but only if the Coalition fails to deliver on the issues of concern to a majority of people and, most importantly, if it loses its nerve.

Good article and it'll be interesting to see how Bacik does in DBS in a general election given Labour have thrown in with SF on this petty debate. It was always assumed the SDs would be game but I'd hoped Labour would be more principled.

And both of you seem to be making the very dangerous assumption that FF won’t go into power with SF after the next election .
That would split FF.

What the coalition need to do, either following on from next Mays Assembly elections, or from this years NI census results, is to set up "citizens assembly"/talking shop on a border poll/united Ireland. Call the shinners bluff, and either have them participating in a government initiative, or painting themselves into a corner where they can be called out for non participation.

Make the entire United Ireland project non party political.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

I'm not and haven't. That's been my point as well all along. And one of my last posts on the topic said they'll probably cave.

But at current polling levels they'd also need at least one of the other two. And if FF do go in with SF that'll be it for them.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:15 am A lot of controversy over Michael D not attending that "religious" ceremony in Armagh.

I think he's correct for not attending. A "religious" ceremony celebrating the partition of our island. Give me a break.
:roll: he should be going, stupid not to. The amount of nonsense on this island.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:24 am
iarmhiman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:15 am A lot of controversy over Michael D not attending that "religious" ceremony in Armagh.

I think he's correct for not attending. A "religious" ceremony celebrating the partition of our island. Give me a break.
:roll: he should be going, stupid not to. The amount of nonsense on this island.
I was expecting that from you
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

:roll:
Why should he go celebrate the partition of this country?
themaddog

Post by themaddog »

He wasn't invited, the President of the Republic of Ireland was.

Sorry for your loss TSG.
DragonKhan

Post by DragonKhan »

Nothing to celebrate about partition. Dead right not to go.
Blackrock Bullet

feckwanker wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:37 am

Ah ffs, you don’t have to celebrate it. You go out of politeness. It’s not that difficult. It really is instructive how even the “centre” Republicans in this part of the world are unable to see this simple thing and why a United Ireland won’t happen.

Who gives a shit if those morons in SF and the DUP won’t go to one another’s things, the point of a nation state and our centre parties (and one of the points of so called differentiation between those apes in SF and the centre) is supposed to be that we are above their bullshit. But “grrr partition, my grandad fought the Black and Tans”, this is part of the reason why SF did so well in the last election.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:26 pm

Ah ffs, you don’t have to celebrate it. You go out of politeness. It’s not that difficult. It really is instructive how even the “centre” Republicans in this part of the world are unable to see this simple thing and why a United Ireland won’t happen.

Who gives a shit if those morons in SF and the DUP won’t go to one another’s things, the point of a nation state and our centre parties (and one of the points of so called differentiation between those apes in SF and the centre) is supposed to be that we are above their bullshit. But “grrr partition, my grandad fought the Black and Tans”, this is part of the reason why SF did so well in the last election.
Good.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

As I said previously, the minute the DUP opened their gobs and politicised the event, that was that.
Blackrock Bullet

feckwanker wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:33 pm

Good.
Which is fantastic to me.

But what isn’t fantastic is that the meme lords at Irish Simpsons Fans helped normalise the Provisional IRA and Sinn Féin. The reaction of so called moderates (it was an ape of a FF mayor and Ferritar who stoked it) to the RIC that directly led to SF rising up the polls.

If their bullshit wasn’t impacting here, then fine, but it is.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

CM11 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:23 am

I'm not and haven't. That's been my point as well all along. And one of my last posts on the topic said they'll probably cave.

But at current polling levels they'd also need at least one of the other two. And if FF do go in with SF that'll be it for them.
For sure they’ll need one of the two and it won’t be Fine Gael. Collins seems to be implying that SF’s potential government partners are limited to those parties on the left wing which might not necessarily be the case . His suggestion that the Dail vote is a reflection of the current public mood is also inaccurate with the vote reflecting how the parties performed at the last GE not how people responded to recent polls. The combined figures means SF are in a stronger position now and crucially the 3 government parties may not bring home a majority of TD’s. SF’s path to government now seems broader compared to 2020 when they would have needed to either drag together every small and independent or get FF to flip on their pre election promise.
I don’t think a SF government is inevitable but it’s certainly looking a lot more likely
CM11

Post by CM11 »

He mentions recent polls too and there's still over 50% in the polls who'd be centrist/not SF. SF have hoovered up most of the fringe vote, hence their polling figures.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

camroc1 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:34 pm

As I said previously, the minute the DUP opened their gobs and politicised the event, that was that.
The minute he turned it down politicised the event
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Nope.

That was whoever leaked that he had declined the invitation.

The DUP had no problem with him turning down a 1916 commemorative dinner in Belfast.

The "religious" ceremony is titled 'marking the centenaries of the partition of Ireland and the foundation of Northern Ireland' ffs.

So the organisers wanted the 'President of the Republic of Ireland' (sic) to attend an event in his official capacity 'marking the centenaries of the partition of Ireland and the foundation of Northern Ireland'.

Come on.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

CM11 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:24 pm He mentions recent polls too and there's still over 50% in the polls who'd be centrist/not SF. SF have hoovered up most of the fringe vote, hence their polling figures.
He mentions the recent polls but I’m not sure he studied them too carefully. You can’t put all movements since the last GE down to SF hoovering up the left and as I’ve said, the combined FF/FG/Green ( you can throw in labour too ) is considerably smaller than it wa in 2020

Poor journalism or wishful thinking, I’m not sure but I’m certainly more concerned than he is
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Conspicuous wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:05 pm
CM11 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:24 pm He mentions recent polls too and there's still over 50% in the polls who'd be centrist/not SF. SF have hoovered up most of the fringe vote, hence their polling figures.
He mentions the recent polls but I’m not sure he studied them too carefully. You can’t put all movements since the last GE down to SF hoovering up the left and as I’ve said, the combined FF/FG/Green ( you can throw in labour too ) is considerably smaller than it wa in 2020

Poor journalism or wishful thinking, I’m not sure but I’m certainly more concerned than he is
The latest red c poll has the government at 45% and SF at 29%. With Labour and SDs that climbs to 39%. Plus SBP = 42%.

It would be far easier for the government to form a new government with those figures compared to SF, especially in light of the recent show of support from the Independents who are polling at 10%.
Blackrock Bullet

camroc1 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:55 pm Nope.

The DUP had no problem with him turning down a 1916 commemorative dinner in Belfast.

The "religious" ceremony is titled 'marking the centenaries of the partition of Ireland and the foundation of Northern Ireland' ffs.

So the organisers wanted the 'President of the Republic of Ireland' (sic) to attend an event in his official capacity 'marking the centenaries of the partition of Ireland and the foundation of Northern Ireland'.

Come on.
This is as bad as a DUPer or SFer.

It doesn't matter diddly squat that he was called the President of the Republic of Ireland on an invite. If he was that concerned, his officials could have had a quiet word - it should have no bearing on his attendance. I'm minded towards the forward of the JJ Lee 1912-1985 book on Irish politics where he has to introduce all of the titles and explain them so people don't moan. It's beyond patethic.

He could have gone, made a speech on partition (and given as rounded a speech as he wanted) and got on with it. Instead he has given the DUP an open goal.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:11 pm
camroc1 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:55 pm Nope.

Come on.
This is as bad as a DUPer or SFer.

It doesn't matter diddly squat that he was called the President of the Republic of Ireland on an invite. If he was that concerned, his officials could have had a quiet word - it should have no bearing on his attendance. I'm minded towards the forward of the JJ Lee 1912-1985 book on Irish politics where he has to introduce all of the titles and explain them so people don't moan. It's beyond patethic.

He could have gone, made a speech on partition (and given as rounded a speech as he wanted) and got on with it. Instead he has given the DUP an open goal.
Fúck that.

They were wrong about a minor legal description and can fúck right off until they correct it.
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

I doubt he cared too much what he was addressed as on the invitation really, the title is a joke though, as is the religious aspect with all faiths represented etc.

The whole thing is just obvious unionist baiting so it gives them an opportunity to go on the radio acting shocked and calling the Irish president a bigot.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Anton Savage summed it up well “it’s like being invited to a commemoration of the day your house got burgled”
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Leinster in London wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:35 am

Did you see that they did not actually invite The President of Ireland, they invited the President of the Republic.

Not surprised he ignored it, as it is an official slight to misaddress correspondence to a person in his position. He also points out that the DUP are a strange animal commenting on his absence given that they normally do not turn up to most other invitations he accepted from unis and the like.
They sent it addressed as it was, quite consciously, in order to provoke the response they got. To allow them blow sectarian smoke up their arse and leak their opprobrium in the way they have done.

Believe me. Both sides - all sides indeed - have been playing this game of diplomatic snakes and ladders for long enough to know exactly what protocol applies.

Fcuk 'em. Carry on Miggledee, good man.

Best approach to take is that it shouldn't be given oxygen.
DragonKhan

Post by DragonKhan »

Duff Paddy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:59 pm Anton Savage summed it up well “it’s like being invited to a commemoration of the day your house got burgled”
Exactly. Partition is the worst thing that happened to the North and to the Republic. They deliberately made a mistake in his title, the DUP are plum
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

DragonKhan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:21 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:59 pm Anton Savage summed it up well “it’s like being invited to a commemoration of the day your house got burgled”
Exactly. Partition is the worst thing that happened to the North and to the Republic. They deliberately made a mistake in his title, the DUP are plum
Invite was from church leaders in Northern Ireland not the DUP
And well well well wouldn’t you know it turns out they actually addressed him by his correct title

There appears to only be one lying bigoted wee cûnt in all this and it ain’t the DUP for a change.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Winnie wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:07 pm
And well well well wouldn’t you know it turns out they actually addressed him by his correct title

There appears to only be one lying bigoted wee cûnt in all this and it ain’t the DUP for a change.
Link?
Blackrock Bullet

It's cringetastic regardless.

The title of the event is inoffensive.

Calling him the President of the Republic of Ireland (if that happened), so what? The President of Ireland was titled as such when our Constitution made a claim over the whole island. The use of the Republic is accepted for the 26 county football team in the scenario where there were two Irelands. I understand completely why in the context of a ceremony on partition that he is not called the President of Ireland by the organisers. It is the height of immaturity from so many here, and the President, that this is an "issue" for them.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:17 pm

Link?

Whoopsie, it seems the President is a liar
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Higgins declined the invitation politely.

Someone leaked that when he was on an official visit to Rome.

Various Unionist politicians suddenly became Irish constitutional experts, with Donaldson coming out with the pearler that it was a deliberate snub by the Irish government.

Higgins and Coveney clarified.

End of story.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Winnie wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:47 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:17 pm

Link?

Whoopsie, it seems the President is a liar
This could get him in a spot of bother alright as he said it was wrong title.

I agree with him not going though. Partition was a tragedy especially for those catholics who woke up on the wrong side of the border.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

camroc1 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:47 pm Higgins declined the invitation politely.

Various Unionist politicians suddenly became Irish constitutional experts, with Donaldson coming out with the pearler that it was a deliberate snub by the Irish government.

End of story.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
He said it was because they made it political and called him President of the ROI
He's a lying bigoted wee rat
Stop trying to defend it
He has damaged massively the thought that unionists would be respected in any UI
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

It's a pretty polite invitation in fairness.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Winnie wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:51 pm
camroc1 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:47 pm Higgins declined the invitation politely.

End of story.
He said it was because they made it political and called him President of the ROI
Stop trying to defend it
He has damaged massively the thought that unionists would be respected in any UI
Eh recognising parition validates it and if anything undermines a future UI.

a border poll every 7 years will decide a UI not if our head of state attends the commemoration that celebrates the complete opposite
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:55 pm

End of story.
Stop trying to defend it

a border poll every 7 years will decide a UI not if our head of state attends the commemoration that celebrates the comolete opposite
Spin it whatever way you want
Its a snub to unionists and didnt have to be
Had he just been polite and attended it would have been a 30 second item in the news
Massive mistake and highlighted the lack of trust unionists have towards the ROI is not without merit
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Winnie wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:56 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:55 pm

End of story.
Stop trying to defend it

a border poll every 7 years will decide a UI not if our head of state attends the commemoration that celebrates the comolete opposite
Spin it whatever way you want
Its a snub to unionists and didnt have to be
Had he just been polite and attended it would have been a 30 second item in the news
Massive mistake and highlighted the lack of trust unionists have towards the ROI is not without merit
He would have got slaughtered down here. We have the shinners about to be our next government. Had he gone the incumbent government would have had a backlash as the shinners would have said he was advised from Government
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Good to see we're back arguing the usual stuff here! :lol:

However, it's actually worrying to see the likes of Mick, bimbo, Dozy etc become full-on conspiracy new world order nuts on other threads. :uhoh:
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Dozy is really a dreadful poster.

Bimbo is bored from being unemployed and Mick has been slipping further into crazy for a long time now
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:03 pm Dozy is really a dreadful poster.

Bimbo is bored from being unemployed and Mick has been slipping further into crazy for a long time now
I remember Mick saying something about his wife going back to the Caribbean much earlier in the year for a few months. To be honest, you can't blame her. She probably stayed there.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Leinsterman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:06 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:03 pm Dozy is really a dreadful poster.

I remember Mick saying something about his wife going back to the Caribbean much earlier in the year for a few months. To be honest, you can't blame her. She probably stayed there.
I wouldn't believe half of what Mick says. That Carribean wife is fabricated. He invented it in his mind