The Official Welsh Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Frodder

Re: The Official Welsh Rugby Thread

Post by Frodder »

First round of friendly matches completed.

What's your expectation for your 'region'?
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

and another page completed :thumbup:
C69

Post by C69 »

LandOTurk wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:16 am Ospreys now playing at the Swansea.com Stadium. :lol: jack cnuts!

One true region, my arse. Never has been, never will be. No representatives from Neath on the Os Board, dont play outside Swansea, dropped Neath from their name, the cross pattee badge has disappeared from the logo......
Like Peter before the cock crows I am renouncing my affiliation to Ospreys.
I am now Switzerland
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Frodder wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:00 pm First round of friendly matches completed.

Not leak huge scores against us - so defense is #1; linked to that is true committment to the cause.

Seeing the likes of long term Cubby, Patch. Macleod make it back safely.

Start seeing changing of the old guard if genuine long term future player

Results-wise.
- Top 2 in the regions
- Beat the Ospreys H&A
- Finish top half in League, however that works
- Win 50% of games in Europe
Druid

Post by Druid »

Bedwas will do very well this season.

(I hope)
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Druid wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:53 pm Bedwas will do very well this season.

(I hope)
Would like Llanelli RFC to get mid table comfort. Not end of the season scramble as per usual. Is there relegation this season?
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

LandOTurk wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:05 pm
Frodder wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:00 pm First round of friendly matches completed.

Not leak huge scores against us - so defense is #1; linked to that is true committment to the cause.

Seeing the likes of long term Cubby, Patch. Macleod make it back safely.

Start seeing changing of the old guard if genuine long term future player

Results-wise.
- Top 2 in the regions
- Beat the Ospreys H&A
- Finish top half in League, however that works
- Win 50% of games in Europe

Great answer LoT 👏

Cardiff to have Ellis and Big Nick back.

Any front 5 stability

Tomos stays injury free

Don't get a sans lube beating from the Irish

Anything else is a complete bonus tbh
C69

Post by C69 »

I hope the game against NZ is called off 13 players unavailable ffs.
No English based players and shitloads of injuries.
What a joke, it could be a massive massive loss.
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

I just hope that the re-branded URC breathes some life back into the Welsh game & hopefully has some better officiating.

What's the pecking order of the regions atm? Ospreys > Scarlets / Blues > Dragons?
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

P in VG wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:54 am I just hope that the re-branded URC breathes some life back into the Welsh game & hopefully has some better officiating.

What's the pecking order of the regions atm? Ospreys > Scarlets / Blues > Dragons?
Ospreys > Blues > Scarlets > Dragons but we wont know I guess until several games in and teams get to settle.
penguin

Post by penguin »

My expectation - misery. My hope - misery punctuated by moments of joy. Same as usual.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

penguin wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:49 am

My expectation - misery. My hope - misery punctuated by moments of joy. Same as usual.
:lol:

It's funny because it's true. :(
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:51 am
penguin wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:49 am

:lol:

It's funny because it's true. :(

Which 1 of us doesn't feel that way tbf
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Just watched the pre-season game between Ospreys and Northampton. Tampon won by 5, but there were encouraging signs. Not so encouraging signs were a creaking scrum, but Watkins looked strong in the centre, Jac Morgan was good with his work around the field, and Anscombe played some minutes and didn't break. Final score 31-26.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:11 pm Just watched the pre-season game between Ospreys and Northampton. Tampon won by 5, but there were encouraging signs. Not so encouraging signs were a creaking scrum, but Watkins looked strong in the centre, Jac Morgan was good with his work around the field, and Anscombe played some minutes and didn't break. Final score 31-26.
Great news about Anscombe. Step by step for him but we've really missed him in the red shirt
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

I just hope Resolven push on this season and don’t settle for mid-table mediocrity.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Dragons doing their best to get my hopes up with a win against Wasps...I'm not falling for it.

Sounds like the new props were getting shunted around though, so that helps dampen any outbreaks of optimism.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

penguin wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:03 am Dragons doing their best to get my hopes up with a win against Wasps...I'm not falling for it.

Sounds like the new props were getting shunted around though, so that helps dampen any outbreaks of optimism.
Sounds like they are rebranding. Buttress states he did not think much intellect went into naming the region, which tbh is accurate. Would it be Newport Rugby (as per Cardiff) or changing Dragons to a name reflective of the region Gwent, Steel, Romans, Chartists, Docks, ......
penguin

Post by penguin »

LandOTurk wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:43 pm
penguin wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:03 am Dragons doing their best to get my hopes up with a win against Wasps...I'm not falling for it.

Sounds like they are rebranding. Buttress states he did not think much intellect went into naming the region, which tbh is accurate. Would it be Newport Rugby (as per Cardiff) or changing Dragons to a name reflective of the region Gwent, Steel, Romans, Chartists, Docks, ......
I hope they don't go the Newport route. I know that will popular down there, but I would feel pretty disconnected by it. If they do re-brand and end up with something like the Steel Dragons I'll feel like it's a deckchair shuffling exercise. Is it going to get more bums on seats? I doubt it. More wins, greater squad depth, a strong competition with meaningful games, good kick off times...the name of the team is a pretty minor concern for me in the list.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Short Man Syndrome

https://twitter.com/dragonsrugby/status ... 77381?s=20
penguin

Post by penguin »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:51 pm

Oh, you think you can sucker me in by showing me the tries...including Josh Reynolds steaming in from distance (for a fatty)...set piece moves that function flawlessly...handling and support lines...damn it. I need a montage of our props being hammered to recalibrate my optimism.
Short Man Syndrome

penguin wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:58 pm

Oh, you think you can sucker me in by showing me the tries...including Josh Reynolds steaming in from distance (for a fatty)...set piece moves that function flawlessly...handling and support lines...damn it. I need a montage of our props being hammered to recalibrate my optimism.
Hang on, I'm still busy laughing at the Wasps' 10 flinging the ball to the floor yards behind his players to set up the 3rd try...
Last edited by Short Man Syndrome on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:03 pm

Hang on, I'm still busy laughing at the Wasps's 10 flinging the ball to the floor yards behind his players to set up the 3rd try...
That was pretty special.
Short Man Syndrome

I'm nearly done...
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

penguin wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:06 pm
Short Man Syndrome wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:03 pm

Hang on, I'm still busy laughing at the Wasps's 10 flinging the ball to the floor yards behind his players to set up the 3rd try...
That was pretty special.
With our options at back 3 limited with North crocked I see Holmes being a vital 6N squad member. Always seems to make a big impact for the Drags
penguin

Post by penguin »

Frodder wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:12 pm With our options at back 3 limited with North crocked I see Holmes being a vital 6N squad member. Always seems to make a big impact for the Drags
I was pretty sceptical about him, as I thought our budget would be better spent in other areas, but he's been fantastic. As last season wore on and we started to play a bit more rugby he suddenly went from being solid and dependable to a real attacking threat. Great feet, strong and with a real try scorer's instinct. If he picks up where he left off then he'll be right in the mix.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

penguin wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:16 pm
Frodder wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:12 pm With our options at back 3 limited with North crocked I see Holmes being a vital 6N squad member. Always seems to make a big impact for the Drags
I was pretty sceptical about him, as I thought our budget would be better spent in other areas, but he's been fantastic. As last season wore on and we started to play a bit more rugby he suddenly went from being solid and dependable to a real attacking threat. Great feet, strong and with a real try scorer's instinct. If he picks up where he left off then he'll be right in the mix.
Wing options will be Adams, Cuthbert, LRZ, Holmes, Lane (still want him at centre) with Giles as a bolter
penguin

Post by penguin »

Frodder wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:21 pm
penguin wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:16 pm
Wing options will be Adams, Cuthbert, LRZ, Holmes, Lane (still want him at centre) with Giles as a bolter
He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'd be surprised if Johnny Mcnicholl isn't in there too. Pivac likes him and I'd imagine someone like Cuthbert would have to go some to displace him.
Poshprop

Post by Poshprop »

Frodder wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:19 pm Sad news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/58330110
This is really sad. A great player and a top bloke. Knew him a little bit, proper old school. He said the thing he missed most about rugby was in the changing rooms after having a can of beer and a fag. Thoughts with his wife and 4 boys. RIP
Short Man Syndrome

penguin

Post by penguin »

Luke Yendle on loan to Jersey. I like to see that sort of loan. 21 year old tighthead, he'll learn a lot at that level of competition. Same with Benjamin to the Pirates - if he's going to make it as a hooker that's a pretty good way to get regular games under his belt.
Short Man Syndrome

penguin wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:54 am Luke Yendle on loan to Jersey. I like to see that sort of loan. 21 year old tighthead, he'll learn a lot at that level of competition. Same with Benjamin to the Pirates - if he's going to make it as a hooker that's a pretty good way to get regular games under his belt.
Jersey really shoring up their stock of fatties - they also signed Steve Longwell from Old Glory DC, and he is a proper, gnarly lump.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:12 pm
penguin wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:54 am Luke Yendle on loan to Jersey. I like to see that sort of loan. 21 year old tighthead, he'll learn a lot at that level of competition. Same with Benjamin to the Pirates - if he's going to make it as a hooker that's a pretty good way to get regular games under his belt.
Jersey really shoring up their stock of fatties - they also signed Steve Longwell from Old Glory DC, and he is a proper, gnarly lump.
Good. We could do with our young tightheads learning from gnarled old f*ckers.

They like a welshmen down in Jersey - just looking through the pack and there are 5 or so there already.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

penguin wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:15 pm

They like a welshmen down in Jersey - just looking through the pack and there are 5 or so there already.
So the plan is:
- get a move to a Saes club
- spend their money
- meet a nice girl
- produce the next generation of WQ players
- come back better players

Plan Approved
Short Man Syndrome

penguin wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:15 pm

https://www.therugbynetwork.com/videos/ ... nd-18-live

If you can be bothered to sign up (it's free) and go to 51 mins in this match, you can see Longwell get cleared out of a ruck by a headbutt from his opposite number. Not only did Longwell get up (eventually) but he played on. Most normal people would have been killed.

Mason 'the hitman' Pederson had probably had enough of Longwell stuffing the Austin scrum all day and they don't call him Mason 'harsh language' Pederson...
penguin

Post by penguin »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:33 pm
https://www.therugbynetwork.com/videos/ ... nd-18-live

If you can be bothered to sign up (it's free) and go to 51 mins in this match, you can see Longwell get cleared out of a ruck by a headbutt from his opposite number. Not only did Longwell get up (eventually) but he played on. Most normal people would have been killed.

Mason 'the hitman' Pederson had probably had enough of Longwell stuffing the Austin scrum all day and they don't call him Mason 'harsh language' Pederson...
Shame...I like a nickname that doesn't sound straight out of WWF.
Short Man Syndrome

I had my doubts about his monicker at first but after watching him inflict gbh on all-comers last season - there is a great clip of him levelling Fats Bastareau when he was playing for NY - it really is a well-deserved nickname. Honestly, the clip I mention above is one of the most brutal, egregious and malicious bits of violence I’ve seen in rugby. The ref ‘didn’t see the contact’ but ruled it legal as Longwell was part of the ruck... it’s a straight rhino charge to the head, sending 19 stone Longwell spinning through the air...
penguin

Post by penguin »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:23 pm I had my doubts about his monicker at first but after watching him inflict gbh on all-comers last season - there is a great clip of him levelling Fats Bastareau when he was playing for NY - it really is a well-deserved nickname. Honestly, the clip I mention above is one of the most brutal, egregious and malicious bits of violence I’ve seen in rugby. The ref ‘didn’t see the contact’ but ruled it legal as Longwell was part of the ruck... it’s a straight rhino charge to the head, sending 19 stone Longwell spinning through the air...
Urgh. Sounds grim. And you're saying Longwell played on?
Short Man Syndrome

Yeah, took him 5 mins to sit up afterwards and it was halftime after that but he trotted out for the 2nd half…