Post by Sards »

Grandpa wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:33 am
naki wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:14 am
These have been the results since Rassie revived that kind of game plan -

2018 in Wellington - Boks win a close one
2018 in Pretoria - ABs win a close one
2019 in Wellington again - a draw
2019 at the RWC - the ABs win a relatively close one

This AB side is significantly less experienced than the ones playing in those tests.

The form trajectories of both teams are diverging right now. But anyone who thinks the Boks can't bring it back is simply ignoring recent history, and not factoring in the intensity levels the Boks almost always manage to rise to when they face NZ.
In 2018 SA appeared to be a rabble before they came to NZ... that's why history almost counts for nothing. SA seem to be able to go from minus zero to world beaters in a week like no other team... and it would not surprise me if Rassie has been planning this ambush with these strategic losses the last two weeks.... :twisted:
Losing is never a strategy...please...giving them far too much credit...
Jensrsa

Re: Rugby Championship: All Blacks vs Springboks: MATCH THREAD: Sat 25th Sept

Post by Jensrsa »

Sards wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:15 am
mdaclarke wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:12 am
Sards wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:09 am
Mains’ swipe at the Springboks comes following their two straight Test defeats by the Wallabies in Gold Coast and Brisbane, respectively.

“I think there’s four or five players in that team that simply are not up to Test level, and I think you’ll see that the All Blacks’ three-quarters will run riot against them,” Mains told Stuff on Monday.

“The centre and the two wings look simply just not good enough to be playing at that level. And, I’d have some questions over one or two of their forwards, too. It’s all very well they have big strong props, but boy, they’ve got to be mobile.

“They just don’t have the cattle the moment, the world-class players there to actually do a lot about it.

“South Africa, sure they had the Tests against the Lions but they didn’t have that really tough Super Rugby programme that brings players up to a level where you either make it or you don’t.

“It’s a bit of a war of attrition, Super Rugby, but it certainly leaves the players in really good condition.”
Trying to Gee up the boks
I don;t agree with him about the quality of the players per se, but I do think the players are out of form and just look flat. Everyone has a flat period once in a while, just a shame we seem to be having a number of players going through it at the same time. We need Rassie.
I wonder which centre he is talking about?
Am probably. Kiwis call #13 centre
Sards

Post by Sards »

Still harsh on the players........he might have forgotten Am when playing for the Sharks in the last Superrugby season when we were the Champions
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Sards wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:41 am Still harsh on the players........he might have forgotten Am when playing for the Sharks in the last Superrugby season when we were the Champions
When were the Sharks Soup champions?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

obelixtim wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:54 am
Sards wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:41 am Still harsh on the players........he might have forgotten Am when playing for the Sharks in the last Superrugby season when we were the Champions
I'm guessing it was last year, when they played their own comp and no NZ or Australian teams featured. Congratulations to the Sharks and their supporters :thumbup:
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:02 am
I'm guessing it was last year, when they played their own comp and no NZ or Australian teams featured. Congratulations to the Sharks and their supporters :thumbup:
Nah he is still wanking on about the half season that was cancelled with tsaarks leading the comp. :?
Sards

Post by Sards »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:02 am
What comp....vok....those endless Currie cup efforts..

It shows as soon as we started playing our SH opposition how poor the NH is....I was so pissed off when SARU gave the SH a huge vok you.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Just been looking at the Rugby Championship table, and the ramifications for winning the silverware.

For the Springboks to win this year's title they need to score two bonus point wins in their next two tests against the AB's, prevent the AB's from gaining a losing BP and make up a points differential of ninety. Whilst not an impossible task, I cannot see that happening.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:54 am Just been looking at the Rugby Championship table, and the ramifications for winning the silverware.

For the Springboks to win this year's title they need to score two bonus point wins in their next two tests against the AB's, prevent the AB's from gaining a losing BP and make up a points differential of ninety. Whilst not an impossible task, I cannot see that happening.
And for the Aussies?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Sards wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:18 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:54 am Just been looking at the Rugby Championship table, and the ramifications for winning the silverware.

And for the Aussies?
It's impossible for them to win. The are already 11 points behind the All Blacks and can only make up a maximum of ten points in their next two tests.

To be honest, I think that if they win their next two tests against Argentina then the Wallabies squad will be very pleased with their tournament regardless, given their unexpected dual wins against the RWC champions South Africa.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:25 pm
Sards wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:18 pm

And for the Aussies?
It's impossible for them to win. The are already 11 points behind the All Blacks and can only make up a maximum of ten points in their next two tests.

To be honest, I think that if they win their next two tests against Argentina then the Wallabies squad will be very pleased with their tournament regardless, given their unexpected dual wins against the RWC champions South Africa.
:thumbup:
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

If SA beat NZ twice I doubt if they will care whether it means they won the RC or not... and as an All Blacks supporter I'll be too pissed at losing to them twice to care about the RC final position... as Ardie said, no point being ranked No 1.. until you beat the number 1.. :lol:
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Nobody wants to be beaten in their own backyard . If SA contrive to lose this (they are well positioned to do so) they will be remembered fondly in Polynesia.

If they somehow win ... They will never be welcome there, again !!
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Riiiiiiiight
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Sards wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:18 pm And for the Aussies?
Welcome on PR :shock: Did you lose a flounce bet onn NPR?
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

What is good is that there have been no mention of Covid cases in any of the camps, not even amongst staff... pretty impressive... fingers crossed that lasts another two weeks...
DonJP

Post by DonJP »

Naki’s team of Moody - Taylor - Lauala
Retallick - S Barrett
Papalii - Savea - Ioane
TJ - B Barrett
Havili - ALB (hopefully?)
Ioane - Reece - J Barrett,
with Taukei'aho, Bower, Ofa, Paddy, Jacobsen, Weber, DMac and Jordan on the bench?; seems reasonable to me.

Are from New Plymouth BTW?

Bit surprised at some concern about those missing AB’s from a few here though. A bit undue, maybe? Good opportunity for depth building, without being overly complacent, I hope. I mean, I still can’t see how NZ lost to England in the last RWC, especially with the way England subsided by not even going for a try in the final & instead quit like Joshua on the ropes! Trust lighting won’t strike x2..& again like in W’gton in 2018!

That stated I think that Foster remained calm & focused since the Aus & Puma losses last time out. I also sense he really wants to put SA to bed x2, big time, over the nxt fortnight.

I think he has a team to do just that. I’ll be pleased to see B. Barrett in action again. I believe he has anticipation & can do stuff like no other 1st 5 in world rugby, including Mo’unga. No disrespect to RM, but would he have thrown that backhand pass to Jacobsen?

Set piece should hold, although the lineout will need to be on point, as will the ‘D’, especially through its middle.

Breakdown vital. Should edge that.

backs, look dangerous across the park. Hope Jordan gets a run!
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Jensrsa wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:39 am
Mains’ swipe at the Springboks comes following their two straight Test defeats by the Wallabies in Gold Coast and Brisbane, respectively.

“I think there’s four or five players in that team that simply are not up to Test level, and I think you’ll see that the All Blacks’ three-quarters will run riot against them,” Mains told Stuff on Monday.

“The centre and the two wings look simply just not good enough to be playing at that level. And, I’d have some questions over one or two of their forwards, too. It’s all very well they have big strong props, but boy, they’ve got to be mobile.

“They just don’t have the cattle the moment, the world-class players there to actually do a lot about it.

“South Africa, sure they had the Tests against the Lions but they didn’t have that really tough Super Rugby programme that brings players up to a level where you either make it or you don’t.

“It’s a bit of a war of attrition, Super Rugby, but it certainly leaves the players in really good condition.”
I don;t agree with him about the quality of the players per se, but I do think the players are out of form and just look flat. Everyone has a flat period once in a while, just a shame we seem to be having a number of players going through it at the same time. We need Rassie.
Am probably. Kiwis call #13 centre
Bit surprised by Mains there, I think Am has shown himself to be a quality centre, certainly one of the better Saffa centres for quite some time.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Magpie26 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:11 pm
Jensrsa wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:39 am Am probably. Kiwis call #13 centre
Bit surprised by Mains there, I think Am has shown himself to be a quality centre, certainly one of the better Saffa centres for quite some time.
I suppose from a Kiwi point of view a midfielder who doesn't attack is a bit of a waste

In the last 4 tests the Bok 10.12 and 13s didn't beat a single defender and made only one clean break. In the Bok setup the 12 and 13 are defenders
Sards

Post by Sards »

Jensrsa wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:35 pm
I suppose from a Kiwi point of view a midfielder who doesn't attack is a bit of a waste

In the last 4 tests the Bok 10.12 and 13s didn't beat a single defender and made only one clean break. In the Bok setup the 12 and 13 are defenders
I am baffled by that. In the player ratings they gave De Allende a 6 because of all his carries in the last match. And no misses tackles...
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Sards wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:45 pm

I am baffled by that. In the player ratings they gave De Allende a 6 because of all his carries in the last match. And no misses tackles...
DDA plays a #7 game - bash it up
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Rubbish.
Sards

Post by Sards »

sorCrer wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:02 pm

Rubbish.
I do remember some carries by De Allende but not a single line-break. Hell. Watching rugby with kids in the house is not easy so I miss a lot
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Never going to happen. Will be amazed if the Boks win either of the games
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Bit surprised by the numbers mentioned and I certainly don't see Am as just a defensive centre.
I think he is a pretty well rounded player, sure he doesn't have a lot of gas to beat players but some of his timing of passes is top notch IMO.
Would argue that the best centres are the ones who put other players into space rather than making breaks themselves.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

He's a Kiwi so I think will be referring to Am, which I don't agree with. He's a quality player. DdA has looked woeful these last few weeks.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

mr bungle wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:08 pm

He's a Kiwi so I think will be referring to Am, which I don't agree with. He's a quality player. DdA has looked woeful these last few weeks.
Never rated DDA... But Am has always shown potential.
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:16 am Slightly off-topic, but does anyone else think that Asafo Aumua has now been overtaken by Samisoni Taukei'aho in the hooking pecking order? That would be a shame for Aumua as he's been waiting to overtake Taylor and Coles for years now. I just think that Taukei'aho has a better allround game and is just as effective with ball in hand.
You could be right there, but these two are going to be great to have when Coles and Taylor retire, and this has been a great opportunity to develop both of them with Cole's injury layoff.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

capt hurricane wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:24 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:16 am Slightly off-topic, but does anyone else think that Asafo Aumua has now been overtaken by Samisoni Taukei'aho in the hooking pecking order? That would be a shame for Aumua as he's been waiting to overtake Taylor and Coles for years now. I just think that Taukei'aho has a better allround game and is just as effective with ball in hand.
You could be right there, but these two are going to be great to have when Coles and Taylor retire, and this has been a great opportunity to develop both of them with Cole's injury layoff.
They will both have concurrent All Black careers.

Just like Anton Oliver & Kevin Mealamu, then Hore & Mealamu, then Coles & Taylor
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

A Kiwi will refer to DDA as a centre.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Sonny Blount wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:44 pm

A Kiwi will refer to DDA as a centre.
Not second five eighths?
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

If I was Bok Coach I'd pick the following

1. Nche
2. Mbonambi
3. Du Toit
4. Etzebeth
5. De Jager
6. Kolisi
7. Van Staden
8. Vermeulen
9. De Klerk
10. Pollard
11. Mapimpi
12. DDA
13. Kriel
14. Kolbe (if fit)
15. Fassi

16. Kitshoff
17. Marx
18. Malherbe
19. Mostert
20. JL Du Preez (as LocK)
21. Wiese
22. Reinach
23. Le Roux

Probably good for the Boks that I'm not coach
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

Rubbish.
Yes, that’s just what Laurie Mains said…
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Shrekles wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:55 am

Rubbish.
Yes, that’s just what Laurie Mains said…
:lol: :shock: :lol:
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

Apparently Brodie Retallick has never lost to the boks. Long may that continue.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

I think one of these games will be close - almost either way .

The other a bit of a drubbing for the Boks as the AB’s run in tries .
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Shrekles wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:59 am Apparently Brodie Retallick has never lost to the boks. Long may that continue.
10 wins and a draw.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Grandpa wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:42 pm

If SA beat NZ twice I doubt if they will care whether it means they won the RC or not... and as an All Blacks supporter I'll be too pissed at losing to them twice to care about the RC final position... as Ardie said, no point being ranked No 1.. until you beat the number 1.. :lol:

Yup. :nod:
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Jasper Wiese has been cited for bashing an Aussie in the last test.
trapper

Post by trapper »

Ted. wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:33 am Jasper Wiese has been cited for bashing an Aussie in the last test.
No surprise there, was a red all day long.