mdaclarke

Re: Boris, Joe and Scott - AUKUS

Post by mdaclarke »

You can call me Bill wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:55 pm
mdaclarke wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:18 pm
You can call me Bill wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:52 pm
mdaclarke wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:25 pm
You can call me Bill wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:17 pm

Wouldn't I be right in saying though that a 21st century war between superpowers, wouldn't be predominantly hand to hand combat ?
If it was an all out war to the death (like WW2) then I think there would be a lot of in person fire fights.
Where would these take place ? In Taiwan ? They've got over a million infantry. I can't see how anything like that number would be deployed in Taiwan ?

Also, what would defeat for China look like ? At what point would they surrender ? And if they did, what would happen next ?
Extremely hypothetical but I'm thinking of a WW2 era fight to the death, one country taking over another countries territory. Therefore at some point the fighting would have to be on the Chinese or USA mainland. Extremely unlikely to ever happen but if it does then my money is on the USA and allies being victorious. Whatever happens after would probably be similar to what happened to Germany and Japan after WW2
There are 6 billion (?) people in China though, and after a war they would almost all hate Americans. Good luck sending in a few 1,000 troops to supervise the conquest.
Will they be though? China is a communist dictatorship. I think a lot of people will be pleased to see the back of the dictators. Like I said the US president can count on the loyalty of his citizens and armed forces as there is democratic legitimacy and buy in. I doubt the same is true for China. Is the average Chinese person going to be willing to fight and die for the Communist Party? I doubt it myself. Only one way to be sure. I hope we never have to find out!
clementinfrance

Post by clementinfrance »

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:01 pm
clementinfrance wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:38 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:22 pm
clementinfrance wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:06 am
terryfinch wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:39 pm

France is not an important country. It doesn’t matter any more. No one outside France cares that Macron is humiliated. France is just one voice of many inside a dysfunctional trading block that has no military presence and is badly organised and leaderless.
You should try reading some foreign press regarding little Britain.
Both parts of the French press and the German press are scathing of the French government right now.
You guys are a fùcking joke on the world stage at the moment, but hey feel free to mock an entire country over the fact some Anglo-saxons acted like dicks...
Lack of self-awareness when moaning about generalisations here. But I'm sure you never really thought France helping block vaccines some months ago was them acting like dicks.

Also it doesn't look like the UK is a f**king joke on the world stage right now. French government officials have admitted they were humiliated over this, not the UK who all the serious analysis is pointing out they have a stronger global military ability, as this deal illustrates. But I'm sure those facts don't suit your internal narrative of how things should be.
Maybe the French govt was too trusting, maybe the French defence companies screwed up the development stages of this project, who knows?

What is for sure is that the Aussies didn't have the balls to discuss or inform the French govt of their change of mind and in fact , as recently as the 30th of August of this year continued to indicate that the sub deal would be going ahead.
Joint AUS-FRA press release from 30th August - https://www.foreignminister.gov.au/mini ... sultations
21 - Both sides committed to deepen defence industry cooperation and enhance their capability edge in the region. Ministers underlined the importance of the Future Submarine program. They agreed to strengthen military scientific research cooperation through a strategic partnership between the Defence Science and Technology Group and the Directorate General for Armaments.
But I'm sure those facts don't suit your internal narrative of how things should be....

BTW Try reading some other paper than the Torygraph and you would quickly realise that, yes, the UK govt and unfortunately by association most Brits are perceived as a fùcking joke on the world stage at the moment...
I think you'll find I read a range of papers, both major British political magazines 'New Statesman' and 'The Spectator' as URLs I post will demonstrate. Also I've linked many times to foreign news website where the topics are relevant. If nothing else I think it's important to get a balanced view and have stated this before and demonstrated by the fact I frequently debate against the many partisan member sof this board on both the left and right of politics. The fact you think I only get info from the Telegraph shows just how ignorant you are and no doubt how much you think you know better than anyone who disagrees.

So I'll highlight it. The current joke isn't the UK. As it happens this deal alone is evidence enough of how big the UK is on the world stage. If you didn't notice it's France who are looking a bit humiliated on the world stage at the moment. By France's own admission. But of course here you are both trying to decalare your opinion is the right one while also stating:
clementinfrance wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:03 pm I know and care very little about this debacle
So many if you actually found out about this stuff you'd form a more careful opinion of it.
I was almost ready to concede to your impeccable logic and balanced evidence until...
The current joke isn't the UK. As it happens this deal alone is evidence enough of how big the UK is on the world stage.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW what do you think of the joint press release I posted dated from 20 days ago?
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

List of people taking it badly:

Clement

Daylight

Macron.
You can call me Bill

Post by You can call me Bill »

Apologies if this is a silly question, but am I right in thinking that ClementinFrance's avatar is the Dutch accented ex England football manager, Steve Mclaren ?
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

mdaclarke wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:00 pm
You can call me Bill wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:55 pm
mdaclarke wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:18 pm
You can call me Bill wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:52 pm
mdaclarke wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:25 pm

If it was an all out war to the death (like WW2) then I think there would be a lot of in person fire fights.
Where would these take place ? In Taiwan ? They've got over a million infantry. I can't see how anything like that number would be deployed in Taiwan ?

Also, what would defeat for China look like ? At what point would they surrender ? And if they did, what would happen next ?
Extremely hypothetical but I'm thinking of a WW2 era fight to the death, one country taking over another countries territory. Therefore at some point the fighting would have to be on the Chinese or USA mainland. Extremely unlikely to ever happen but if it does then my money is on the USA and allies being victorious. Whatever happens after would probably be similar to what happened to Germany and Japan after WW2
There are 6 billion (?) people in China though, and after a war they would almost all hate Americans. Good luck sending in a few 1,000 troops to supervise the conquest.
Will they be though? China is a communist dictatorship. I think a lot of people will be pleased to see the back of the dictators. Like I said the US president can count on the loyalty of his citizens and armed forces as there is democratic legitimacy and buy in. I doubt the same is true for China. Is the average Chinese person going to be willing to fight and die for the Communist Party? I doubt it myself. Only one way to be sure. I hope we never have to find out!
There is plenty of patriotic sentiment in China. Nobody wants to actually fight them in a new world war scenario.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

mdaclarke wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:45 pm The main difference is that the USA is a democratically elected country and the President can count on the loyalty of its soldiers. China is a communist dictatorship and if it came to a shooting match I don't think it can count on the loyalty of its soldiers.

Something similar happened in the Iraq war, many Iraqi soldiers didn't want to die for Saddam. Would many Chinese soldiers be willing to die for Xi Jinping? I think not
I would absolutely shocked if American troop loyalty was greater than that of the Chinese, if it came down to it.

Do you think American soldiers want to die for Joe Biden? Or Donald Trump? Or Barack Obama? Or George Bush? Or some other grinning, airbrushed, vacuous avatar for trendy causes and corporate interests that barely inspires half the population to even bother showing up to polls once every four years? Much is made of our "patriotism" but wearing a red, white, and blue speedo to a Fourth of July BBQ and facing down a hail of gunfire halfway across the world knowing you are likely to die are two very different things. Say what you want about communism, but it is far, far more likely to foster the sort of commitment you need from soldiers, to be willing to die for something greater and bigger than yourself, than individualistic liberal democracy.

I don't think this will come to pass, but I pray we don't see the day when we take on a nation that's not a third world shithole, and we actually have to see what an army of barely literate high school dropouts is capable of against a real foe.

FWIW, my dad worked in military aerospace for 30 years, and though he is always tight-lipped about it (owing to the fact that this opinion was based on classified information), he doesn't necessarily fancy our chances in the event of a full on confrontation with China.
Last edited by fonzeee on Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I can’t see anything other than proxy wars, and end of the day China needs somebody to buy their tat- no point killing us all.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

They used to need somebody to buy stuff. Now they don't, their internal market is going to be the biggest in the world. The hurt in not having the tech shite, and the inability to tool up tech shite means the rest of the world is in serious trouble if say sanctions are the only way to get at China besides a shooting war.

Also agree with Fonzee. The rest of world is going to be hard pressed to match China in an outright scrap.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Flockwitt wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:17 pm They used to need somebody to buy stuff. Now they don't, their internal market is going to be the biggest in the world. The hurt in not having the tech shite, and the inability to tool up tech shite means the rest of the world is in serious trouble if say sanctions are the only way to get at China besides a shooting war.

Also agree with Fonzee. The rest of world is going to be hard pressed to match China in an outright scrap.
I’m not bright enough to know otherwise, but an internal market surely isn’t enough?
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Dont think you can stop China getting aggressive and territorial in South China. Likewise Taiwan is very vulnerable.

Maybe the best AUKUS can hope for is the protection of the South Pacific ( Micronesia, Melanesia , Polynesia) where there are plenty of former British colonies from Chinese influence.

The French have territories there as well: French Polynesia, New Caledonia.

Would it not be better not to piss the French off as this completely plays into China's hands if relations are bad?
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

DragsterDriver wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:19 pm
Flockwitt wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:17 pm They used to need somebody to buy stuff. Now they don't, their internal market is going to be the biggest in the world. The hurt in not having the tech shite, and the inability to tool up tech shite means the rest of the world is in serious trouble if say sanctions are the only way to get at China besides a shooting war.

I’m not bright enough to know otherwise, but an internal market surely isn’t enough?
Everybody benefits from a global economy, but the days of China needing the rest of the world are over. A couple of decades ago not so, China had to export to grow, they needed to build the manufacturing base to supply all the stuff the rest of the world buys. Now they've got the manufacturing base, the trained people, the supply infrastructure, and an internal market that is big enough to be resilient and create its own economic momentum.
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Not so sure about that. There is a country with a mighty big military, a hell of a lot of nukes and a very long border with China that really doesn't like them very much and enjoys having the occasional low key set too once in a while.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Magpie26 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:05 pm

Not so sure about that. There is a country with a mighty big military, a hell of a lot of nukes and a very long border with China that really doesn't like them very much and enjoys having the occasional low key set too once in a while.
Fair point. But would Russia ever do anything if China starts throws its weight around with regards the Western block of Japan/USA/Europe?

Still if it comes to that, we might find India isn't a total waste of space in a few more decades.
You can call me Bill

DragsterDriver wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:08 pm end of the day China needs somebody to buy their tat
Zico

Post by Zico »

Good deal all round. US signs up two client states, NATO is given last rites and Europe gets an army.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Flockwitt wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:37 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:19 pm

Everybody benefits from a global economy, but the days of China needing the rest of the world are over. A couple of decades ago not so, China had to export to grow, they needed to build the manufacturing base to supply all the stuff the rest of the world buys. Now they've got the manufacturing base, the trained people, the supply infrastructure, and an internal market that is big enough to be resilient and create its own economic momentum.
I wake up and see ‘Evergrande’ trending on the Twitter.
clementinfrance

DragsterDriver wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:16 pm List of people taking it badly:

Clement

Daylight

Macron.

:thumbup:
clementinfrance

You can call me Bill wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:28 pm Apologies if this is a silly question, but am I right in thinking that ClementinFrance's avatar is the Dutch accented ex England football manager, Steve Mclaren ?
Nah it's David Lynch (US film director)
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

clementinfrance wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:42 am
You can call me Bill wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:28 pm Apologies if this is a silly question, but am I right in thinking that ClementinFrance's avatar is the Dutch accented ex England football manager, Steve Mclaren ?
I thought it might have been Samuel Beckett.

You can call me Bill

Zico wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:31 am Good deal all round. US signs up two client states, NATO is given last rites and Europe gets an army.
Sad to see the Irish giving up on the Independence dream after all these years.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

You can call me Bill wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:05 am
Zico wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:31 am Good deal all round. US signs up two client states, NATO is given last rites and Europe gets an army.
Look, I know this may come as a shock, but all we really wanted was independence from you cnuts. We're still figuring the rest of it out.

Are these guys cnuts? What about those guys? Cnuts too? Not sure. Could be. What about those cnuts over there? Too soon to tell, but probably.

We're just certain about you lot, is all.
You can call me Bill

redderneck wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:06 am
Look, I know this may come as a shock, but all we really wanted was independence from you cnuts.
:lol: fair enough :thumbup:
Zico

Post by Zico »

Soldiering is in our blood.

We'd just like to choose who we fight for.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Zico wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:09 am

:lol:

A not unreasonable preference.
You can call me Bill

Ireland wasn't one of the options ?
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

You'll fight for whoever the germans and frogs tell you to fight for.... Unless you're fighting each other again, of course.
C69

Post by C69 »

MungoMan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:53 am
clementinfrance wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:42 am
I thought it might have been Samuel Beckett.

Easy mistake to make, no worries nothing to be done.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Away from the rage in Paris, the AUKUS packs seems to have gone down well with some countries who will most be affected by it's implications. You know countries actually in the pacific who are worried by China's behaviour in recent times:

https://www.ft.com/content/cac4b3b0-fae ... bcd96eac02

Opinion US-China relations
Why Aukus is welcome in the Indo-Pacific

America’s efforts to strengthen deterrence of China are gathering momentum
GIDEON RACHMAN Add to myFT

The Australia-UK-US security pact — Aukus — has been greeted with rage in China and France. But more significant than the flamboyant anger in Beijing and Paris are the countries that are quietly applauding the agreement.

The many Indo-Pacific nations that are worried by China’s increasing belligerence look to America, not France, to balance Chinese power. Japan and India, the two largest economies in the region outside China, have welcomed Aukus. Later this week, the White House will host a summit meeting of the leaders of the Quad — the US, India, Japan and Australia. Week by week, the US is visibly strengthening its network of security relationships across the Indo-Pacific.

The positive reaction in the region will matter much more in Washington than anger in Paris — unwelcome though that is. Containing China’s power and ambitions is now the major strategic priority of the US, a commitment that spans the Biden and Trump administrations. A blow-up with France is seen as a price worth paying for the strengthening of alliances in Asia. A hardening of Britain’s previously ambivalent posture towards China is also welcome in Washington and balances the damage with France.

Antoine Bondaz, a security analyst (once dubbed a “crazed hyena” by the Chinese government) writes that for China, the pact between Washington, Canberra and London is “the realisation of a longstanding fear: the multilateralisation of American alliances in the region. Today, it’s Australia and the United Kingdom. Tomorrow, maybe Japan will join.”

Japan’s foreign minister, Toshimitsu Motegi, was certainly quick to welcome Aukus. The Times of India noted the overlapping membership of the Quad and Aukus and suggested that “in future, the two could merge.” Raja Mohan, an Indian security analyst, argues that for Delhi, the Aukus pact is welcome for a number of reasons — including the signal it sends about America’s willingness to transfer key military technologies, such as nuclear propulsion.

India and Japan were not the only two regional powers to respond positively to the Aukus. Singapore, which has always carefully balanced its relations with the US and China, welcomed the agreement. In Canada, where an election is taking place, the leaders of both the conservative and leftwing opposition criticised the Trudeau government for not yet being involved in the pact.

The strengthening of collective security arrangements in Asia is ultimately aimed at deterring Chinese power, much as Nato deters Russia in Europe. The Indo-Pacific alliance structure is unlikely to mirror Nato precisely. Rather than a single alliance, we are witnessing a meshing and enhancement of existing ties creating a network of powers committed to preventing the region falling under Beijing’s domination.

The potential membership of that network can be discerned by the countries that have recently undertaken naval exercises with the US and Australia. They include the UK, Japan, Canada, South Korea and India. If and when relations with Paris are repaired, the French may rejoin.

The significance of this co-operation goes well beyond naval exercises and submarine sales. The three countries involved in Aukus will work together on strategic technologies, such as quantum computing and artificial intelligence. India and Japan also have much to contribute in those areas.

China denounces all these moves as provocative. But Beijing’s actions in the region have provoked the efforts to balance its power.

For Australia, China’s imposition of trade sanctions, after Canberra called for an international inquiry into Covid-19, was a wake-up call. So were China’s 14 demands for changes in Australian policy. For India, the turning point was the military clashes in the Himalayas last summer. Japan, which has a territorial dispute with China in the East China Sea, is also increasingly being harried by Beijing’s military.

China’s decision to build military bases across the South China Sea has alarmed regional powers such as Vietnam and the Philippines. In July, Vietnam hosted Lloyd Austin, the US defence secretary. South Korea, another US treaty ally, has not forgotten the economic pressure from Beijing after Seoul agreed to host a US anti-missile shield.

All of these Indo-Pacific nations know that China has built up its military faster than any other country in the world over the past generation. And they are all concerned by Beijing’s threats to invade Taiwan.

Why has China made these diplomatic errors? It may be that it placed too much faith in economic power. The fact that China is the most important trading partner for Japan, South Korea and Australia gives the Chinese an important lever. But heavy-handed pressure from Beijing has often backfired.

Recommended
FT News Briefing podcast11 min listen
China’s digital dictatorship

The failure of the Chinese strategy so far does not mean that America’s Asian alliance-building will necessarily succeed. Pulling together a complex group of allies is not easy, as the current backlash from Paris demonstrates.

The attempt to contain Chinese power will also heighten tensions with Beijing. But the alternative would be to accept uncomplainingly China’s efforts to dominate the Indo-Pacific. The US and its allies have decided to draw a line.

gideon.rachman@ft.com
La soule

Post by La soule »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:37 pm Away from the rage in Paris, the AUKUS packs seems to have gone down well with some countries who will most be affected by it's implications. You know countries actually in the pacific who are worried by China's behaviour in recent times:
:lol: :lol:

Dear god.......
clementinfrance

La soule wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:22 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:37 pm Away from the rage in Paris, the AUKUS packs seems to have gone down well with some countries who will most be affected by it's implications. You know countries actually in the pacific who are worried by China's behaviour in recent times:

Dear god.......
I think he meant like France (Wallis & Futuna, French polynesia, New Caledonia etc.)...

message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

clementinfrance wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:47 pm

Dear god.......
I think he meant like France (Wallis & Futuna, French polynesia, New Caledonia etc.)...

The world's at an end should the Chinese ever attack the prized jewels of Wallis and futuna or ile des Pins.
La soule

Post by La soule »

message #2527204 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:11 pm

Dear god.......

The world's at an end should the Chinese ever attack the prized jewels of Wallis and futuna or ile des Pins.
He was still talking bollocks regardless of the importance of it. This is what happens when you perpetually try to get the moral high ground on every threads.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Dear god.......

Certainly strategic giants of the area.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Good to know so many of your ancestors chose to fight for Wellington...
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Dear god.......

I wouldn't say the Uk is in the Pacific due to the Pitcairn Islands, though I was obviously being tongue in cheek about it.

Likewise The Falkland Islands are in the southern hemisphere, but I wouldn't say the UK is a Southern Hemisphere country because bit's of it left over from empire are still there.
Last edited by eldanielfire on Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

bimboman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:15 pm

Dear god.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_Islands
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

La soule wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:13 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:11 pm

Dear god.......

He was still talking bollocks regardless of the importance of it. This is what happens when you perpetually try to get the moral high ground on every threads.
Pot and Kettle here for you :lol:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

feckwanker wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:27 pm

Dear god.......

And Argentina is a nuclear armed “China” , well done for understanding geo political issues from the small bit west of Europe.
La soule

Post by La soule »

bimboman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:34 pm

Dear god.......

And Argentina is a nuclear armed “China” , well done for understanding geo political issues from the small bit west of Europe.
That has got absolutely nothing to do with what was being discussed, well done.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

La soule wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:41 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:34 pm

That has got absolutely nothing to do with what was being discussed, well done.
Don't waste your time - it's like shouting into the void.