Favorite beers (for when the rugby is on) - Official thread

All things Rugby
Fat Old Git

Re: Favorite beers (for when the rugby is on) - Official thread

Post by Fat Old Git »

I've never had an original German one, but have tried some local offerings. Quite a strange experience. Quite smokey and reminded me of bacon. Not really my thing.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:32 am I've never had an original German one, but have tried some local offerings. Quite a strange experience. Quite smokey and reminded me of bacon. Not really my thing.
Yes, the German ones taste like smoked ham. Not for everyone, but I quite like them, although probably wouldn't have too many.

So much good beer in Germany and also Belgium, where I worked a couple of times. You always have to check the label though. Once had a beer that was 13% there, but they don't taste like they are that strong, not like IPAs.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Really enjoying Brewdog Lost Lager at the moment.

But when back in the motherland it has to be ice cold Castle Lager - shit beer, great memories
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Whatever wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:51 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:32 am I've never had an original German one, but have tried some local offerings. Quite a strange experience. Quite smokey and reminded me of bacon. Not really my thing.
Yes, the German ones taste like smoked ham. Not for everyone, but I quite like them, although probably wouldn't have too many.

So much good beer in Germany and also Belgium, where I worked a couple of times. You always have to check the label though. Once had a beer that was 13% there, but they don't taste like they are that strong, not like IPAs.
It makes you realise how much of the flavour of smoked ham/bacon is actually smoke. I don't buy smoked bacon for that reason.

I had no trouble getting used to the smoked flavour of the beer - just sink a few and you are set. This might be aided by the convivial nature of drinking in Germany.

Under normal circumstances me and a couple of mates do a yearly trip to continental Europe for food and drink related reasons. Belgium & Germany are always included. Italy is usually included. France is often included.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

dinsdale wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:00 pm

It makes you realise how much of the flavour of smoked ham/bacon is actually smoke. I don't buy smoked bacon for that reason.

I had no trouble getting used to the smoked flavour of the beer - just sink a few and you are set. This might be aided by the convivial nature of drinking in Germany.

Under normal circumstances me and a couple of mates do a yearly trip to continental Europe for food and drink related reasons. Belgium & Germany are always included. Italy is usually included. France is often included.
Czech Republic? Another good beer-drinking country.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

BokJock wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:29 am Really enjoying Brewdog Lost Lager at the moment.

But when back in the motherland it has to be ice cold Castle Lager - shit beer, great memories
For me, in that region, it has to be Tafel!

And not Mainstay Cane Spirit :thumbdown: I did once have some proper Absinthe in a bar in Swakopmund, that was mind-bending stuff.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Whatever wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:41 pm

It's on the list for the one of the next couple of trips. It's not a big detour to Pilsen/Prague from Munich. As we have missed a year the next trip might be old favourites - Bologna/Bergamo/Munich/Köln/Gent/Antwerp/Brussels.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

dinsdale wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:45 pm

It's on the list for the one of the next couple of trips. It's not a big detour to Pilsen/Prague from Munich. As we have missed a year the next trip might be old favourites - Bologna/Bergamo/Munich/Köln/Gent/Antwerp/Brussels.
Good trip :thumbup:

As I recall the Köln libation is Kolsch in small glasses. My German friend there was quite upset when I switched to Hefeweizen after a bit. :?
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Whatever wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:53 pm

As I recall the Köln libation is Kolsch in small glasses. My German friend there was quite upset when I switched to Hefeweizen after a bit. :?
yup, 20cl glasses replaced (very) frequently :lol: Altbier in Düsseldorf has the same serving method. I discovered that the rest of Germany is quite sniffy about Kolsch which may be why the locals are quite protective of it.

I love Kolsch however after drinking it in Köln I realised there's no point drinking it elsewhere. It's VERY freshness dependent. Hence the whole theatre with bringing a new barrel up from the cellar, tapping it and pouring it until empty - circa 40 mins on a busy evening!
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Multinational brewery and pub chain BrewDog is seeking to raise A$750,000 ($810,000) as part of its plans to establish a physical presence in New Zealand.

The Scottish brand, which has ballooned to operations in most major markets and has more than 100 brew pub locations, kicked off its crowdfunding in December and so far has raised A$530,000 ($570,000).

Within the next two years, BrewDog plans to have a brew bar open in Auckland.

Ed Bott, BrewDog chief executive of Australia and New Zealand, said the company would by the end of the year have a local representative in the market working towards its New Zealand launch plans.

"It is a market we have previously serviced through distributors and now we're super keen to bring our presence with bars and people," Bott told the Herald.

"We're looking at sites primarily in Auckland right now, but that's not ruling out service sights in other locations."

Bott said he could see up to five pub locations located across the country.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

dinsdale wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:06 pm

yup, 20cl glasses replaced (very) frequently :lol: Altbier in Düsseldorf has the same serving method. I discovered that the rest of Germany is quite sniffy about Kolsch which may be why the locals are quite protective of it.

I love Kolsch however after drinking it in Köln I realised there's no point drinking it elsewhere. It's VERY freshness dependent. Hence the whole theatre with bringing a new barrel up from the cellar, tapping it and pouring it until empty - circa 40 mins on a busy evening!
I spent a lot of time in Koln so have a love for Kolsch but you're right, has to be fresh. It doesnt travel.

We have Schlenkerla available in my local offie. It's like marmite. Bizarre drink. I cant get enough of the doppelbock
puku

Post by puku »

Boxcar Ira wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:56 pm
I spent a lot of time in Koln so have a love for Kolsch but you're right, has to be fresh. It doesnt travel.

We have Schlenkerla available in my local offie. It's like marmite. Bizarre drink. I cant get enough of the doppelbock
Marmite you say...I spotted this local brew in my liquor store. I wasn't tempted.

A local craft brewery, The Urban Growler, does a nice Kölsch during the summer.
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

puku wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:28 pm

Marmite you say...I spotted this local brew in my liquor store. I wasn't tempted.

haha - that's going too far!
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Boxcar Ira wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:04 pm
puku wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:28 pm

haha - that's going too far!
Disgusting.

Unless Growler means something different in your part of the world.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

Beautiful stuff :smug:
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

It might be that I was hot and bothered after a 30 minutes walk to the restaurant on a sticky evening, or that perhaps I'm getting hazy'ed out. But 3 of these evaporated the other evening in no time what so ever.

Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Just discovered the Lighthouse Brewery in Chch and enjoying a cracker of a porter.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I've had the original German ones a few times. It was okay and quite enjoyable. I once had a smoked Mikkeller porter (9%) that tasted like I was drinking coffee flavoured cough syrup from an ashtray. It was truly gross but it cost me an arm and a leg so I persisted.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Derwyn wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:26 pm Image

Beautiful stuff :smug:
It is indeed. :thumbup:
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

dinsdale wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:06 pm

There's a local brewer just up the road from me who likes to put down the odd Marzen, Kolsch, Altbeir, Dunkel and/or Schwarzbier. All great at source. :thumbup:

I should add that the name of the brewery is Abandoned.
Last edited by Ted. on Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MungoMan

Re: Favorite beers (for when the rugby is on) - Official thr

Post by MungoMan »

JPNZ wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:28 am Garage Project have re-brewed their colab with Other Half brewing in Brooklyn USA. One of the best beers in New Zealand last year and currently the #3 on untappd.

Absolutely stunning :thumbup:
Garage Project are gods among men. And women.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

MungoMan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:00 pm
They really are, best brewers in NZ and consistently produce amazing beer after beer. I would also think they are within the top 10 brewers in the world.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

JPNZ wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:04 pm
MungoMan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:00 pm
They really are, best brewers in NZ and consistently produce amazing beer after beer. I would also think they are within the top 10 brewers in the world.
It does mean they occasionally get away with making beers that really shouldn't be made.

But yes, mostly they're awesome and their name on the label is usually a guarantee of a good time.
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

What ever you drink, stick to it. NEVER get a half dozen of these for a game......Samichlaus........ is brewed just once a year.....and is 14% Alcohol......
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:29 pm
It does mean they occasionally get away with making beers that really shouldn't be made.
Yes, even the dark choc one of that was terrible too. I bought a 4 pack and gave the other two away.