2022 Super Rugby Pacific

All things Rugby
Ali's Choice

Re: 2022 Super Rugby Pacific

Post by Ali's Choice »

Zakar wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:47 am The cynic in me expects this is because they are nobodies.
Of course they are. All the top NZ based players were contracted away months ago.

In saying that, it's okay for them to sign nobodies. That's kind of the point of Pasifika Moana. And hopefully very quickly these nobodies become household names. There are loads of good players based in Samoa and Tonga who for a range of reasons didn't get signed by an overseas club, who will be good at this level if given a chance.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:50 am
Zakar wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:47 am The cynic in me expects this is because they are nobodies.
Of course they are. All the top NZ based players were contracted away months ago.

In saying that, it's okay for them to sign nobodies. That's kind of the point of Pasifika Moana. And hopefully very quickly these nobodies become household names. There are loads of good players based in Samoa and Tonga who for a range of reasons didn't get signed by an overseas club, who will be good at this level if given a chance.
Oh for sure. Let's hope they are of super standard.

I think they should still try and sign a couple of established players to get the turnstiles moving, but they can be the minority of the team.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Zakar wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:56 am

I think they should still try and sign a couple of established players to get the turnstiles moving, but they can be the minority of the team.
You'd think to be credible they'll need at least a handful of seasoned NZ-based or European based pro's.

I'll be honest, I think PM will struggle initially. I hope I'm wrong, but the process has been so rushed and disorganised. They have not been set up for success. Contrast this process with how the AFL introduced Western Sydney and the Suns, and all the infrastructure and resources that were put in place to support those two new Australian Rules teams, and they still struggled initially. NZR has given the Pasifika Moana management an oily rag and told them to go and find a team. Less than ideal.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:01 am
Zakar wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:56 am

You'd think to be credible they'll need at least a handful of seasoned NZ-based or European based pro's.

I'll be honest, I think PM will struggle initially. I hope I'm wrong, but the process has been so rushed and disorganised. They have not been set up for success. Contrast this process with how the AFL introduced Western Sydney and the Suns, and all the infrastructure and resources that were put in place to support those two new Australian Rules teams, and they still struggled initially. NZR has given the Pasifika Moana management an oily rag and told them to go and find a team. Less than ideal.
Yeah the AFL actually commits to long term planning ahead and has a huge war chest. I'm constantly jealous of how they are run.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Zakar wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:25 am
Yeah the AFL actually commits to long term planning ahead and has a huge war chest. I'm constantly jealous of how they are run.
It's easy to get mesmerised by the money the AFL can throw around but for all their supposed expertise the Gold Coast Suns have been a basket case of under achievement in their life so far considering the resources pumped into the enterprise... likewise, the Giants could and should have done more than they have for the same reason. To be fair, the AFL's competition is a huge undertaking for seasoned clubs with years of experience... new outfits will always struggle to an extent.

the fact remains though, the AFL will gladly overcompensate some of their clubs to gain traction in target markets and that is the case with both of these two clubs.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

guy smiley wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:40 am
It's easy to get mesmerised by the money the AFL can throw around but for all their supposed expertise the Gold Coast Suns have been a basket case of under achievement in their life so far considering the resources pumped into the enterprise... likewise, the Giants could and should have done more than they have for the same reason. To be fair, the AFL's competition is a huge undertaking for seasoned clubs with years of experience... new outfits will always struggle to an extent.

the fact remains though, the AFL will gladly overcompensate some of their clubs to gain traction in target markets and that is the case with both of these two clubs.
New franchises always take time to gain traction.

It can absolutely be worthwhile though- look at the recent rise in Melbourne born Wallabies we have largely thanks to the Rebels
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

MP are free to sign three current All Blacks. They would still be contracted to the NZRU and obviously eligible for the ABs but can be seconded to MP.

They’re also free to sign former ABs returning to NZ without affecting the three-AB rule.

All of the above would have to be those in the 20% of the playing squad not eligible for PI national teams.

Technically they could also sign someone eligible for the Cook Islands etc. I doubt this will ever eventuate but it’s allowed.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Yes they’ll struggle but NZRU seems to be giving them a lot of support so hopefully it’ll help lift Samoa and Tongan rugby as they’ve in the doldrums for a decade now.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Auckman wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:50 am Yes they’ll struggle but NZRU seems to be giving them a lot of support so hopefully it’ll help lift Samoa and Tongan rugby as they’ve in the doldrums for a decade now.
They are in the doldrums because they barely play any tests, and when they do their best players are pressured to make themselves unavailable. The fact that they aren't remunerated to play for the Islands is also a factor.

World Rugby could make the PI's competitive tomorrow, by making allowances in the eligibility rules for Pacific Island eligible players who were capped previously by a tier 1 nation.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am
Auckman wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:50 am Yes they’ll struggle but NZRU seems to be giving them a lot of support so hopefully it’ll help lift Samoa and Tongan rugby as they’ve in the doldrums for a decade now.
They are in the doldrums because they barely play any tests, and when they do their best players are pressured to make themselves unavailable. The fact that they aren't remunerated to play for the Islands is also a factor.

World Rugby could make the PI's competitive tomorrow, by making allowances in the eligibility rules for Pacific Island eligible players who were capped previously by a tier 1 nation.
Totally agree but the NH will never allow it. Next best thing is this.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

More MP news, with no home games for the foreseeable future for the warriors..
Auckland's Mt Smart Stadium has been announced as the new home ground for the inaugural Moana Pasifika Super Rugby team in their debut season of the 2022 Super Rugby Pacific competition.

The Penrose-based venue has been the home of the New Zealand Warriors since 1995, where they began their journey as a start-up franchise.

Moana Pasifika patron Tuifa'asisina Sir Bryan Williams said they were humbled to share Mt Smart as their home playing base.

"We've worked extremely hard to get to this point, and to have a sense of home and place to continue building our unique brand in the world's most competitive professional competition is huge," he said.

"It's a real privilege and honour to be welcomed into this iconic sports facility and share space with a team that has forged a special place in our sporting landscape and in the hearts and minds of so many.

"We know that our community of supporters know this venue well, and we know they will bring intense passion, colour and energy when they come out in numbers to support their team. We can't wait to welcome fans to our new home, their fale."

Moana Pasifika have signed agreements with Auckland Unlimited to call the training facility and 25,000-capacity stadium 'home' from 2022-2028.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

MP pretty much dropped a big hint tonight that their inaugural head coach will be Aaron Mauger.
grievous

Post by grievous »

guy smiley wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:40 am

Thats mainly because the Suns were set up on the Gold Coast, a professional sporting graveyard.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Auckman wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:46 am MP pretty much dropped a big hint tonight that their inaugural head coach will be Aaron Mauger.
Yep seems a done deal.

“Moana Pasifika's inaugural head coach will be former Highlanders coach Aaron Mauger.

The name of the former All Blacks and Crusaders midfielder has been linked with the new franchise for months, and Moana Pasifika’s social media channels posted on Wednesday evening that an announcement was imminent.

Stuff understands that Mauger, 40, is indeed the man who will guide Moana Pasifika during their crucial debut season. Mauger was assistant coach when Moana Pasifika played the Māori All Blacks last year, and subsequently stayed in touch with director of rugby Kevin Senio during the planning stages.”
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Surprised Mauger hasn't already been officially annonced Toutai Kefu was saying on tv a while ago thet he been in talks with Mauger over players he wants to see get Super experience.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Crusaders really going after outside backs..
The Crusaders have confirmed the signing of promising young outside back, Kini Naholo, for the 2022 Super Rugby Pacific season.

Crusaders Head Coach Scott Robertson said the 22-year-old, who plays his provincial rugby with Taranaki, is an exciting signing for the club: “Kini is a powerful ball runner and prolific try-scorer, with a really impressive work ethic. We’re looking forward to welcoming him in to the Crusaders and helping further develop his immense talent.”

Naholo is currently assembled with Taranaki for the Bunnings NPC, and will join the Crusaders for their 2022 pre-season in January.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

JPNZ wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:07 am Crusaders really going after outside backs..
The Crusaders have confirmed the signing of promising young outside back, Kini Naholo, for the 2022 Super Rugby Pacific season.

Crusaders Head Coach Scott Robertson said the 22-year-old, who plays his provincial rugby with Taranaki, is an exciting signing for the club: “Kini is a powerful ball runner and prolific try-scorer, with a really impressive work ethic. We’re looking forward to welcoming him in to the Crusaders and helping further develop his immense talent.”

Naholo is currently assembled with Taranaki for the Bunnings NPC, and will join the Crusaders for their 2022 pre-season in January.
Interesting one. It's a good signing to effectively replace Mataele, but I can't imagine he'll see much game time behind Jordan, Ennor, Bridge, Reece, Faingaanuku, Havili, and Fihaki.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Auckman wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:48 am MP are free to sign three current All Blacks. They would still be contracted to the NZRU and obviously eligible for the ABs but can be seconded to MP.

They’re also free to sign former ABs returning to NZ without affecting the three-AB rule.

All of the above would have to be those in the 20% of the playing squad not eligible for PI national teams.

Technically they could also sign someone eligible for the Cook Islands etc. I doubt this will ever eventuate but it’s allowed.
Are there any current ABs who are not locked up & contracted to their current Supe franchises?
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

No idea. Nichol was just saying maybe as an example of the policies.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Female players will be paid for their participation in the inaugural Super Rugby Aupiki in 2022.

On Wednesday, New Zealand Rugby (NZR) confirmed a new elite four-team women's Super Rugby for next year, running for four weeks in March.

Three of the four teams will be aligned to the three North Island Super Rugby franchises – the Blues, Chiefs and Hurricanes – and the South Island team will be based in Christchurch in partnership with the Crusaders and Highlanders.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/women-in- ... ompetition
Great news this :thumbup:

My only qualm is that back-to-back-to-back-to-back FPC champions (with another final this weekend) Canterbury weren't deemed worthy of their own franchise, but rather the combined South Island team. Otherwise this is a big step in the right direction.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

mrbrownstone wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:30 am
My only qualm is that back-to-back-to-back-to-back FPC champions (with another final this weekend) Canterbury weren't deemed worthy of their own franchise, but rather the combined South Island team. Otherwise this is a big step in the right direction.
On that thought South Island colours will be used and no red or black:
The unveiling of the team will be the culmination of a lengthy process, one alongside mana whenua and local artist Kaitiaki Studios.

Athletes across the South Island, including ex Black Ferns, were consulted during the journey, with a goal of creating a standalone, sustainable identity and brand.

Mana whenua have gifted a team name, which will be revealed in about a fortnight, alongside the team’s logo, values and playing colours. Stuff understands the team’s colours will be inspired by the South Island’s picturesque landscape, with the red and black of the Crusaders and Canterbury nowhere to be seen, despite it initially being considered.

However, strong feedback from all parties to explore options neutral to all teams reflective of the collaborative partnership between the regions ensured they went in a different direction. The team, which will be coached by Canterbury Farah Palmer Cup head coach Blair Baxter, will be based at the Apollo Centre in Christchurch, and will use Burnside Park for on-field training sessions.

Teams are in the process of finalising their squads, which will consist of 28 players and be revealed in October.

The South Island team is expected to be loaded with players from Canterbury’s champion FPC team.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

JPNZ wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:50 am
On that thought South Island colours will be used and no red or black:
The unveiling of the team will be the culmination of a lengthy process, one alongside mana whenua and local artist Kaitiaki Studios.

Athletes across the South Island, including ex Black Ferns, were consulted during the journey, with a goal of creating a standalone, sustainable identity and brand.

Mana whenua have gifted a team name, which will be revealed in about a fortnight, alongside the team’s logo, values and playing colours. Stuff understands the team’s colours will be inspired by the South Island’s picturesque landscape, with the red and black of the Crusaders and Canterbury nowhere to be seen, despite it initially being considered.

However, strong feedback from all parties to explore options neutral to all teams reflective of the collaborative partnership between the regions ensured they went in a different direction. The team, which will be coached by Canterbury Farah Palmer Cup head coach Blair Baxter, will be based at the Apollo Centre in Christchurch, and will use Burnside Park for on-field training sessions.

Teams are in the process of finalising their squads, which will consist of 28 players and be revealed in October.

The South Island team is expected to be loaded with players from Canterbury’s champion FPC team.
Sounds like a Crusaders team in all but name tbh. Based in Christchurch, headed by Crusaders general manager of women’s professional rugby Sarah Munro, governed by the Crusaders in partnership with the Highlanders, coached by the Canterbury FPC coach, and with a squad expected to be primarily from the Canterbury FPC team.
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

The Drua seem to be coming together alright. Coach is Micky Byrne which I think is a good signing. 16 players named so far for the squad. All relatively young, none have ever played for the Flying Fijians. 3 have won gold in the 7s. I fully expect them to struggle for a few years but hopefully if the comp is allowed to run...
grievous

Post by grievous »

flaggETERNAL wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:15 am The Drua seem to be coming together alright. Coach is Micky Byrne which I think is a good signing. 16 players named so far for the squad. All relatively young, none have ever played for the Flying Fijians. 3 have won gold in the 7s. I fully expect them to struggle for a few years but hopefully if the comp is allowed to run...
Sad to see some of the Olympic team go straight to league. :thumbdown:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I hope the Drua, and Pasifika Moana, don't become simply a fast-track for young PI players to be poached by Rugby Australia and New Zealand Rugby, but I suspect that's exactly what will happen.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:03 am I hope the Drua, and Pasifika Moana, don't become simply a fast-track for young PI players to be poached by Rugby Australia and New Zealand Rugby, but I suspect that's exactly what will happen.
Or league, you forgot league.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

grievous wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:28 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:03 am I hope the Drua, and Pasifika Moana, don't become simply a fast-track for young PI players to be poached by Rugby Australia and New Zealand Rugby, but I suspect that's exactly what will happen.
Or league, you forgot league.
I'm not wanting to start a League vs Rugby spat. Just making the point that when NZR first announced these two teams it was all about them being seen to be doing something good for the Islands. However it's really all about self-interest. My understanding is that World Rugby are even partially funding these new teams, which would make NZR's boasts about doing something for the PI's even worse.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Its better they have a team they can play from home, Im sure many players would prefer the chance to be based and travel closer from home noting how homesick Fijians get, maybe overlooking larger pay-packets. If WR are funding it they need to ensure its not a factory to breed ABs.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Moana Pasifika being Auckland based probably doesn't help matters. I understand the logic, but it'll mean most players will still be eligible for the ABs on residency being based out of Auckland.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

mrbrownstone wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:25 pm
Moana Pasifika being Auckland based probably doesn't help matters. I understand the logic, but it'll mean most players will still be eligible for the ABs on residency being based out of Auckland.
For sure. The more this is coming together the more I am thinking this was a con-job by NZR to get World Rugby to help fund an Auckland based Pasifika academy through which more players can be developed for the AB's.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Moana Pacifika have signed Christian Lealiifano...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/sup ... lealiifano
WoodlandsRFC

Post by WoodlandsRFC »

Female players will be paid for their participation in the inaugural Super Rugby Aupiki in 2022.

On Wednesday, New Zealand Rugby (NZR) confirmed a new elite four-team women's Super Rugby for next year, running for four weeks in March.

Three of the four teams will be aligned to the three North Island Super Rugby franchises – the Blues, Chiefs and Hurricanes – and the South Island team will be based in Christchurch in partnership with the Crusaders and Highlanders.

There's just no standard of women's rugby in Southland for there to be an Otago based team, it makes sense, women's rugby is hugely popular down there, so it'll be good to see some of the local talent that represents our 7s and 15s teams given an avenue to continue rugby through out the year at a professional standard.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

mrbrownstone wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:25 pm
I reckon we'll see more young born and breed NZers defect to the islands than the other way due to Moana Pacific.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

WoodlandsRFC wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:52 am

There's just no standard of women's rugby in Southland for there to be an Otago based team, it makes sense, women's rugby is hugely popular down there, so it'll be good to see some of the local talent that represents our 7s and 15s teams given an avenue to continue rugby through out the year at a professional standard.
Yeah, I fully understand the rationale. But if you're trying to build enthusiasm, interest, and fanfare for a new competition, I'm not entirely convinced a combined South Island team is the way to do it. I know I'd far sooner support a Crusaders' women's team than a combined South Island team.

It sounds harsh, but if women's rugby in the south isn't up to the standard to support a franchise, then cut them out entirely, at least until the competition is ready to expand. The top players will still be picked up by the new squads anyway.
WoodlandsRFC

Post by WoodlandsRFC »

mrbrownstone wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:00 am
WoodlandsRFC wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:52 am

Yeah, I fully understand the rationale. But if you're trying to build enthusiasm, interest, and fanfare for a new competition, I'm not entirely convinced a combined South Island team is the way to do it. I know I'd far sooner support a Crusaders' women's team than a combined South Island team.

It sounds harsh, but if women's rugby in the south isn't up to the standard to support a franchise, then cut them out entirely, at least until the competition is ready to expand. The top players will still be picked up by the new squads anyway.
I'd be inclined to agree, by launching an entire brand, they're effectively removing the possibility of a Dunedin based franchise further down the line.