Ryder Cup 2020(1)

All things Rugby
Post Reply
You can call me Bill
Posts: 618
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:10 pm

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by You can call me Bill »

IBWT wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:22 pm Hard to figure who's played worst today. Rory, Poulter or Casey? At least Poulter only played once.
rory's played way worse than case this afternoon.
themaddog
Posts: 5505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by themaddog »

You can call me Bill wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:34 pm
IBWT wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:22 pm Hard to figure who's played worst today. Rory, Poulter or Casey? At least Poulter only played once.
rory's played way worse than case this afternoon.
It's a moot point but Rory's eagle to Casey's birdie suggests it's a battle royale.
User avatar
Winnie
Posts: 18378
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by Winnie »

This will be all but over bu tomorrow evening
Not sure how sky are going to polish the turd of the singles
You can call me Bill
Posts: 618
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:10 pm

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by You can call me Bill »

That Casey putt was clutch.
User avatar
MrJonno
Posts: 7169
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Shangri-La

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by MrJonno »

You can call me Bill wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:34 pm
IBWT wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:22 pm Hard to figure who's played worst today. Rory, Poulter or Casey? At least Poulter only played once.
rory's played way worse than case this afternoon.
Surprise you only cheering on players from England (wanky shocky emoji).
User avatar
TheBouncer
Posts: 6464
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by TheBouncer »

Am I seeing things or did 2 guys come up short on a par 3 needing a win
You can call me Bill
Posts: 618
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:10 pm

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by You can call me Bill »

TheBouncer wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:06 pm Am I seeing things or did 2 guys come up short on a par 3 needing a win
Looking forward to seeing you show them how it's done.
User avatar
Derwyn
Posts: 3520
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:08 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by Derwyn »

The Irish contingent letting down the team
themaddog
Posts: 5505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by themaddog »

Derwyn wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:15 pm The Irish contingent letting down the team
At least we can depend on the Welsh.
User avatar
MrJonno
Posts: 7169
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Shangri-La

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by MrJonno »

I don't understand why Rahm and Garcia didn't go out again this afternoon. Is Sergio considered too old to hack it? Maybe he hasn't won enough points historically to merit inclusion.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 64630
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by CM11 »

MrJonno wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:21 pm I don't understand why Rahm and Garcia didn't go out again this afternoon. Is Sergio considered too old to hack it? Maybe he hasn't won enough points historically to merit inclusion.
He said himself he couldn't play 5 matches.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 64630
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by CM11 »

Also Hatton has played very, very well. He's not the problem today.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 64630
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by CM11 »

Americans are 7 under in first 3 matches last I checked but only a couple under in the final one.
User avatar
MrJonno
Posts: 7169
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Shangri-La

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by MrJonno »

Not criticising hatton but why split your only winning team from the morning? I get 5 matches might be a bit much but I think he could have gone again this afternoon and just played one session tomorrow
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 64630
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by CM11 »

MrJonno wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:26 pm Not criticising hatton but why split your only winning team from the morning? I get 5 matches might be a bit much but I think he could have gone again this afternoon and just played one session tomorrow
Not disagreeing but I reckon Harrington was playing everyone today and it was easy to leave Garcia out to do so.

Overall though we're just not good enough. It usually takes the guys outside the top 20 playing out of their skin and the guys in the top 20 playing to their ranking but we're seeing little of that outside Rahm.
You can call me Bill
Posts: 618
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:10 pm

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by You can call me Bill »

thought hatton'd made that. great putt.
You can call me Bill
Posts: 618
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:10 pm

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by You can call me Bill »

WHAT a shot
User avatar
Winnie
Posts: 18378
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by Winnie »

Harrington already making Nick Faldo look like a world class Ryder Cup captain
User avatar
kiwigreg369
Posts: 6719
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Casey and Rahm looked liked they were giving a hairy eyeball to the crowd….
User avatar
kiwigreg369
Posts: 6719
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Got to stack the first two / three groups - need to claw back at least 1 shot in the morning, 2 by end of the day….
You can call me Bill
Posts: 618
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:10 pm

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by You can call me Bill »

You can call me Bill wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:06 pm Europe need something out of the first match I reckon or it'll be a sorry first session.
You can call me Bill wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:48 pm 2-2 for me. Rahm and Fleetwood pairings getting a point.

I'll take cash anyway chaps, thanks :thumbup:
themaddog
Posts: 5505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by themaddog »

Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:28 am Harrington already making Nick Faldo look like a world class Ryder Cup captain
Yeah it's Harrington's fault that the automatic qualifiers like McIllroy, Westwood, Casey and Fitzpatrick have played so poorly. :?
User avatar
Winnie
Posts: 18378
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by Winnie »

themaddog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:52 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:28 am Harrington already making Nick Faldo look like a world class Ryder Cup captain
Yeah it's Harrington's fault that the automatic qualifiers like McIllroy, Westwood, Casey and Fitzpatrick have played so poorly. :?
Was he in the bar during the practice rounds
Stevie wonder could see who was in form
themaddog
Posts: 5505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by themaddog »

Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:54 am
themaddog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:52 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:28 am Harrington already making Nick Faldo look like a world class Ryder Cup captain
Yeah it's Harrington's fault that the automatic qualifiers like McIllroy, Westwood, Casey and Fitzpatrick have played so poorly. :?
Was he in the bar during the practice rounds
Stevie wonder could see who was in form
Yeah Rahm (who missed the cut last weekend, not that you would know), he needs seven others for each session.
User avatar
Winnie
Posts: 18378
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by Winnie »

themaddog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:01 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:54 am
themaddog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:52 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:28 am Harrington already making Nick Faldo look like a world class Ryder Cup captain
Yeah it's Harrington's fault that the automatic qualifiers like McIllroy, Westwood, Casey and Fitzpatrick have played so poorly. :?
Was he in the bar during the practice rounds
Stevie wonder could see who was in form
Yeah Rahm, he needs seven others for each session.
If only he had the chance to pick a Ryder cup expert, someone like Justin Rose, that might have helped steady the ship
User avatar
terryfinch
Posts: 5909
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by terryfinch »

Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:05 am
themaddog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:01 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:54 am
themaddog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:52 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:28 am Harrington already making Nick Faldo look like a world class Ryder Cup captain
Yeah it's Harrington's fault that the automatic qualifiers like McIllroy, Westwood, Casey and Fitzpatrick have played so poorly. :?
Was he in the bar during the practice rounds
Stevie wonder could see who was in form
Yeah Rahm, he needs seven others for each session.
If only he had the chance to pick a Ryder cup expert, someone like Justin Rose, that might have helped steady the ship
Harrington out of his depth. Far removed from Langer or Bjorn.
Trostan
Posts: 3497
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Down by the Riverside

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by Trostan »

You got it. Its Harringto[n who is missing 4 ft putts, not Fleetwood and Casey.
4 times Ryder Cup player, gaining 10 and a half points, 3 times vice captain, Harrington out of his depth?
Sunshine, the team is playing sh1te.
The Yanks are tearing them new ones
User avatar
earl the beaver
Posts: 53634
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by earl the beaver »

Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:54 am
themaddog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:52 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:28 am Harrington already making Nick Faldo look like a world class Ryder Cup captain
Yeah it's Harrington's fault that the automatic qualifiers like McIllroy, Westwood, Casey and Fitzpatrick have played so poorly. :?
Was he in the bar during the practice rounds
Stevie wonder could see who was in form
All the talk from the course during the week was that some players (Rory, Poulter, Casey) looked really dialled in, turns out that was wrong.
User avatar
terryfinch
Posts: 5909
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by terryfinch »

earl the beaver wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:23 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:54 am
themaddog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:52 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:28 am Harrington already making Nick Faldo look like a world class Ryder Cup captain
Yeah it's Harrington's fault that the automatic qualifiers like McIllroy, Westwood, Casey and Fitzpatrick have played so poorly. :?
Was he in the bar during the practice rounds
Stevie wonder could see who was in form
All the talk from the course during the week was that some players (Rory, Poulter, Casey) looked really dialled in, turns out that was wrong.

To be fair, tee to green the Europeans have been as good as the Yanks. Putting however has been terrible. Why?
User avatar
MrJonno
Posts: 7169
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Shangri-La

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by MrJonno »

Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:05 am
themaddog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:01 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:54 am
themaddog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:52 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:28 am Harrington already making Nick Faldo look like a world class Ryder Cup captain
Yeah it's Harrington's fault that the automatic qualifiers like McIllroy, Westwood, Casey and Fitzpatrick have played so poorly. :?
Was he in the bar during the practice rounds
Stevie wonder could see who was in form
Yeah Rahm, he needs seven others for each session.
If only he had the chance to pick a Ryder cup expert, someone like Justin Rose, that might have helped steady the ship
If he picked Rose instead of Poulter and Rose played like a dog I'm sure you would now be saying " Ah well, he did what he could"
User avatar
earl the beaver
Posts: 53634
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by earl the beaver »

Trostan wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:19 am You got it. Its Harringto[n who is missing 4 ft putts, not Fleetwood and Casey.
4 times Ryder Cup player, gaining 10 and a half points, 3 times vice captain, Harrington out of his depth?
Sunshine, the team is playing sh1te.
The Yanks are tearing them new ones
The pairings have been weird, players that didn't even play together in the practice sessions.

Harrington has been dealt a rough hand with a team that Rahm aside isn't in great form but his pairings and picks haven't worked out either, Poulter seemingly picked for foursomes then not picked for the second session etc.

Yes Harrington isn't missing the putts but nothing seems to be working for Europe (even allowing for the strength of the US team)
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 43790
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by Anonymous 1 »

normally all over this. For some reason couldn't give a shit this year and havent watched one minute. Good choice
User avatar
BlackMac
Posts: 7357
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Middle of the Lothians

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by BlackMac »

terryfinch wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:31 am
earl the beaver wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:23 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:54 am
themaddog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:52 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:28 am Harrington already making Nick Faldo look like a world class Ryder Cup captain
Yeah it's Harrington's fault that the automatic qualifiers like McIllroy, Westwood, Casey and Fitzpatrick have played so poorly. :?
Was he in the bar during the practice rounds
Stevie wonder could see who was in form
All the talk from the course during the week was that some players (Rory, Poulter, Casey) looked really dialled in, turns out that was wrong.

To be fair, tee to green the Europeans have been as good as the Yanks. Putting however has been terrible. Why?
No chance. They have been driving all over the place. In the fourballs it was shocking how often both players missed
the fairway.
User avatar
BlackMac
Posts: 7357
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Middle of the Lothians

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by BlackMac »

earl the beaver wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:41 am
Trostan wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:19 am You got it. Its Harringto[n who is missing 4 ft putts, not Fleetwood and Casey.
4 times Ryder Cup player, gaining 10 and a half points, 3 times vice captain, Harrington out of his depth?
Sunshine, the team is playing sh1te.
The Yanks are tearing them new ones
The pairings have been weird, players that didn't even play together in the practice sessions.

Harrington has been dealt a rough hand with a team that Rahm aside isn't in great form but his pairings and picks haven't worked out either, Poulter seemingly picked for foursomes then not picked for the second session etc.

Yes Harrington isn't missing the putts but nothing seems to be working for Europe (even allowing for the strength of the US team)
No captain would be capable of pulling Europe out of this. We have far too many of the old guard, hanging about golf picking up place money and some of the youngsters who are the same, Fitzpatrick for example. They are getting steamrolled by a team of genuine world class players who seem to get the Ryder Cup more than their predecessors.
themaddog
Posts: 5505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by themaddog »

Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:05 am
themaddog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:01 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:54 am
themaddog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:52 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:28 am Harrington already making Nick Faldo look like a world class Ryder Cup captain
Yeah it's Harrington's fault that the automatic qualifiers like McIllroy, Westwood, Casey and Fitzpatrick have played so poorly. :?
Was he in the bar during the practice rounds
Stevie wonder could see who was in form
Yeah Rahm, he needs seven others for each session.
If only he had the chance to pick a Ryder cup expert, someone like Justin Rose, that might have helped steady the ship
You want a team picked on form that includes Rose. That's genius. :lol:
themaddog
Posts: 5505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by themaddog »

terryfinch wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:31 am
earl the beaver wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:23 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:54 am
themaddog wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:52 am
Winnie wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:28 am Harrington already making Nick Faldo look like a world class Ryder Cup captain
Yeah it's Harrington's fault that the automatic qualifiers like McIllroy, Westwood, Casey and Fitzpatrick have played so poorly. :?
Was he in the bar during the practice rounds
Stevie wonder could see who was in form
All the talk from the course during the week was that some players (Rory, Poulter, Casey) looked really dialled in, turns out that was wrong.

To be fair, tee to green the Europeans have been as good as the Yanks. Putting however has been terrible. Why?
They have been poor from tee to green too. The Yanks are simply better players, in better form and are playing to form. On paper this is the strongest Ryder Cup team ever and unfortunately they are showing it on greens too. Only Rahm and Hovland would get a sniff of the American team on current form.
Winning in America has always been extremely difficult. Normally someone like Poulter lights a spark in the team by doing something spectacular. On this occasion the Americans have all the answers. Lowry and Wiesberger both hit excellent approaches on the first Ryder Cup hole. It would be a huge boost to win your first hole in the Ryder Cup. However on both matches the Americans sank rakers to kill any momentum. That has been the story so far.
This always had the potential to get nasty. Unless there is a serious response from the Europeans today this could be the massacre some of us feared.
But let's blame Harrington.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 64630
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by CM11 »

Harrington will take the blame, no matter what. And he knows it. It's part of the job to be the fall guy when you lose, especially bad losses.

But this isn't over yet. Odds aren't great but 5-3 today isn't impossible and would give us a fighting chance.

I know that's optimistic but you're never beaten until it's over.
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 44332
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by camroc1 »

The Yanks putters have been on fire, whist the Euros putters have not.

Golf is a simple game, as they say you drive for show, and you put for dough.

We'll see what happens today.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 64630
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by CM11 »

Americans were 20 under for the foursomes apparently. No shame losing that session. The top three matches were all 7 under in fourballs, which is good but not overly impressive. We should have won the bottom match easily. They were only 4 under and that included the late eagle.
themaddog
Posts: 5505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Ryder Cup 2020(1)

Post by themaddog »

So the American "fans" were giving McIllroy's wife abuse.
Post Reply