Rugby Championship: All Blacks vs Springboks: MATCH THREAD: Sat 25th Sept

All things Rugby
ZuLurk

Re: Rugby Championship: All Blacks vs Springboks: MATCH THREAD: Sat 25th Sept

Post by ZuLurk »

guy smiley wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:18 am It's always a shame to have to explain a joke but you need this and we can all do with a break from the sound of your head banging on the brick wall...

'safe white guy' is a joke term Kiwis use... it started because there were some high profile types within NZ rugby many years ago who preferred a 'safe' player over a coloured player. It was simple racism that viewed Maori or PI players as inferior, lazy, prone to mistakes or whatever other faults the lazy racist old bastards felt like throwing their way.

I think it was Mr Brownstone who used the term here, earlier? Can't remember... but all of us Kiwis got the joke.

You just kept whooshing yourself with it.
Yeah yeah the Mocker Gods are still laughing about your joke too ... the ball is under the Bridge :lol:
Last edited by ZuLurk on Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:22 am SA ratings - in total 141 / 7.05 ave
Nz ratings - in total 122 / 5.3 ave

They were 33% better than the All Blacks - looks like we were lucky not to be beaten more severely….
He's probably not wrong, rating the players' performances individually and in isolation. The AB players made a lot of mistakes, the Bok players less so although giving some Boks 8 or 9 ratings is a bit much.

The result is more an indictment of the Bok game plan and key players like Faf and Pollard's inability to switch and use the opportunities that were created. When the Bok puppet coach afterwards says
“The game plan worked, we had opportunities and they had opportunities. It came down to the wire and a call here and a bounce of the ball there went for them and sometimes it goes for you. It’s swings and roundabouts,”
https://supersport.com/rugby/springboks ... d_Nienaber

it's an indication that he lives in a world of alternative reality
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

He must have blinkers on if he doesn't think Springbokke needed variation in the last 5 mins and should've kept possession.
Last edited by ZuLurk on Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

I was fast forwarding the game on replay by then, but that is some spectacularly stupid game awareness from SA.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Wow, the Blues brothers really stepped up in those last 6 minutes. 8)
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

The Native

Post by The Native »

Most of us thought that the All Black would prove the difference. It did, just not in the way we expected. Instead of the Springboks falling off the pace and leaving gaps for the All Blacks to run through their brains just stopped working.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

The All Black what? Tempo?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

mr bungle wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:15 am The All Black what? Tempo?
The Vibe.

The Fandango. The Dance.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

The Native wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:12 am Most of us thought that the All Black would prove the difference. It did, just not in the way we expected. Instead of the Springboks falling off the pace and leaving gaps for the All Blacks to run through their brains just stopped working.
The All Black what? One of my pet hates, leaving out the most critical part of the message.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:17 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:12 am Blackadder at lineout was awesome.

For me however the criticism is of BBBR and ScoBa plus the hookers. By going front ball at the line out it slows our ball to the backs just that little bit more - and put more pressure on BB/DH.

We’ve got to have options mid and back that we can execute.
Scott Barrett has never been a strong lineout winner, even at Super Rugby level. His strength at lineout time is as a lifter. Also, Brodie Retallick has also never been a dominant lineout winner at test level. During our golden era (2011-2015) Kieran Read won around 60% of our total lineouts and the next best winner was Sam Whitelock.

We need to be developing a 2metre + option to come into the team, because we've functioned best with two tall locks. I'm not sure why Paripari Parkinson has constantly been overlooked, I can only guess that there is a serious flaw in his game or character that most of us are unaware of?
Actually been thinking lately if maybe Josh Lord the young Naki lock might be getting looked at soon, he needs a little more weight, but he just turned 20, and has already had a season of Super rugby under his belt. Was watching him in game today he certainly getting better all the time. Can see him Vai'i,PPP, and maybe Selby-Rickett as ones to come thorugh to partner up with Barrett after 23!
Though I do see Barrett and Vai'i as 3rd locks, as like you I not sure I would want both of them (or either) starting to often, not tall enough.
The Native

Post by The Native »

jdogscoop wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:17 am
The Native wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:12 am Most of us thought that the All Black would prove the difference. It did, just not in the way we expected. Instead of the Springboks falling off the pace and leaving gaps for the All Blacks to run through their brains just stopped working.
The All Black what? One of my pet hates, leaving out the most critical part of the message.
Fitness.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

guy smiley wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:16 am
mr bungle wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:15 am The All Black what? Tempo?
The Vibe.

The Fandango. The Dance.
The Aura.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Dan54. wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:39 am

For me however the criticism is of BBBR and ScoBa plus the hookers. By going front ball at the line out it slows our ball to the backs just that little bit more - and put more pressure on BB/DH.

Scott Barrett has never been a strong lineout winner, even at Super Rugby level. His strength at lineout time is as a lifter. Also, Brodie Retallick has also never been a dominant lineout winner at test level. During our golden era (2011-2015) Kieran Read won around 60% of our total lineouts and the next best winner was Sam Whitelock.

We need to be developing a 2metre + option to come into the team, because we've functioned best with two tall locks. I'm not sure why Paripari Parkinson has constantly been overlooked, I can only guess that there is a serious flaw in his game or character that most of us are unaware of?
Actually been thinking lately if maybe Josh Lord the young Naki lock might be getting looked at soon, he needs a little more weight, but he just turned 20, and has already had a season of Super rugby under his belt. Was watching him in game today he certainly getting better all the time. Can see him Vai'i,PPP, and maybe Selby-Rickett as ones to come thorugh to partner up with Barrett after 23!
Though I do see Barrett and Vai'i as 3rd locks, as like you I not sure I would want both of them (or either) starting to often, not tall enough.
Josh Lord is definitely a great prospect. As is Sam Darry, although like Lord he needs to put on some weight. 2 metre + locks tend to take longer to develop because they are often too skinny when they first emerge on the pro-scene - for example Paripari Parkinson who I think should have been in the team this year. Whoever the AB's go for, we need to be investing time and resources into tall locks. Because the reality is that into the future teams like the Springboks will generally have 2 x 2 metre locks in their starting XV, a 2m blindside flanker and 1 or 2 players on the bench who are also 2 metres tall or close to it. As good as young Tupou Vaa'i is, he's never going to work as a starting lock against an opponent with so much tall timber.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

The Native wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:45 am
jdogscoop wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:17 am
Fitness.
Oh that was a surprise. I thought it would be "lack of dickheadedness".
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Dan54. wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:39 am

A headline writer's dream. I would start with "Good Lord: Taranaki lock shows promise" and work my way up from there.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Jensrsa wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:04 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:22 am SA ratings - in total 141 / 7.05 ave

They were 33% better than the All Blacks - looks like we were lucky not to be beaten more severely….
He's probably not wrong, rating the players' performances individually and in isolation. The AB players made a lot of mistakes, the Bok players less so although giving some Boks 8 or 9 ratings is a bit much.

The result is more an indictment of the Bok game plan and key players like Faf and Pollard's inability to switch and use the opportunities that were created. When the Bok puppet coach afterwards says
“The game plan worked, we had opportunities and they had opportunities. It came down to the wire and a call here and a bounce of the ball there went for them and sometimes it goes for you. It’s swings and roundabouts,”

TBF to the Puppet, your captain said more or less the same thing straight after the game.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Ted. wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:12 am

TBF to the Puppet, your captain said more or less the same thing straight after the game.
True and I see DDA is blaming karma
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Jensrsa wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:14 am
Ted. wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:12 am

True and I see DDA is blaming karma
As long as the All Blacks forwards are soft and backs scared for in your face defenders we,ll keep play like this against them. They have gone backwards since England knocked them out the 2019 WC.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

And where’s South Africa gone since we beat them in the RWC ?
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

Eugenius wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:35 pm And where’s South Africa gone since we beat them in the RWC ?
Don't tell me you stopped watching after the one semi
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

And a decent win it was too …

However 3( or 4 )straight loses and reduced to the most basic of rugby , the Bok stocks have plummeted.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

ZuLurk wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:08 pm
Eugenius wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:35 pm And where’s South Africa gone since we beat them in the RWC ?
England beat them with boring rugby, slow down the match, had an easy draw.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Eugenius wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:21 pm And a decent win it was too …

However 3( or 4 )straight loses and reduced to the most basic of rugby , the Bok stocks have plummeted.
Nah, the puppet believes the game plan is spot on and there's nothing to change for the next test
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

A song for the Bok fans

Katie Herzig - I Hurt Too
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

OomStruisbaai wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:22 pm

Bullshit - England were actually very dynamic far more so than anything attempted by the current Bok droids .
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Eugenius wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:44 pm

Bullshit - England were actually very dynamic far more so than anything attempted by the current Bok droids .
I agree... that was the best England had played since 2003. Wasn't boring ether.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Grandpa wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:54 pm

I agree... that was the best England had played since 2003. Wasn't boring ether.
That is your favourate Kiwi trolling lines.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

The ABs beat the Boks at the RWC.
England beat the ABs at the RWC.
The Boks beat England at the RWC.

The performance of two of these teams has mainly been judged based on the match they won, and not the one they lost.

For the other team it's the other way around.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

(Double post. Stupid phone lag)
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

The Native wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:21 am
grouch wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:10 am
trapper wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:30 am I’ve said it before and I will say it again, TJ should not be starting Test matches, go on all you like about how tough he is, how many caps he has got, how good his box kicks are but his most basic role of clearing the ball quickly and effectively is nowhere near what it should be and his decision making last night…. Jesus.
:thumbup:
Not excusing his shithouse passing but if your forwards are doing the square root of f*ck all to ensure quick, clean ruck ball and your opposition is hugely disruptive, it makes the job a bit more difficult.
Sneck doesn't seem to have trouble passing perfect passes under pressure..
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Fat Old Git wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:50 am The ABs beat the Boks at the RWC.

The performance of two of these teams has mainly been judged based on the match they won, and not the one they lost.

It all depends WHICH match you lose.. The important ones, or the uninportant one...
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

“We’ve looked in-depth at our game-management in the last 10 minutes,” he [Davids] confirmed. “You must understand that players are under immense pressure and this was a Test where there was a lot of pressure towards the end, a lot on intensity. We’ve looked at it again, and we’re the first to say we could’ve made better decisions in terms of that happened.”
but Davids pointed out that there are plans in place to improve the Boks’ decision-making processes and execution for the remainder of the Test season.

“In training sessions we try to paint scenarios in terms of what we can expect or what happened in past experiences and then expose the players to that and challenge them to make better decisions,” he explained.
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/boks-could ... decisions/

Seems to me that the Bok management is the last to say this. And it's not as if the "decision makers" are a bunch of rookies at test level
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

Pollard kicking away the knock-on advantage at that stage was criminal for me, I mentioned it a couple of times in this thread during the test. The NZ penalty came from the counter, and that was the game.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Rugby2023 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:18 pm
Pollard kicking away the knock-on advantage at that stage was criminal for me, I mentioned it a couple of times in this thread during the test. The NZ penalty came from the counter, and that was the game.
The two minutes before this was just as bad. Boks camped in the AB's half on a scrum advantage, Faf kicks a box kick, Boks win it back but can't control, ABs kick it through and play ends outside the Boks' 22
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

Yep, that tallies with my memory of the game. England were the opposite of kick and clap on that occasion. They created opportunities aplenty with ball in hand as well as putting the ABs under pressure without the ball.
If the Boks had won Sunday's game I would have been gutted as I didn't think their cynical (illegal) tactics deserved rewarding. England OTOH I had nothing but admiration for their performance.
The Native

Post by The Native »

les@mooloolaba wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:50 am
trapper wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:30 am I’ve said it before and I will say it again, TJ should not be starting Test matches, go on all you like about how tough he is, how many caps he has got, how good his box kicks are but his most basic role of clearing the ball quickly and effectively is nowhere near what it should be and his decision making last night…. Jesus.
Not excusing his shithouse passing but if your forwards are doing the square root of f*ck all to ensure quick, clean ruck ball and your opposition is hugely disruptive, it makes the job a bit more difficult.
That’s because he’s got the best pass in World Rugby and TJ Perenara doesn’t even have the third best pass in New Zealand.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

les@mooloolaba wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:50 am
The whole team has been passing the ball behind the man far too often this year. Including Snecky and Mo'unga.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Wilson's Toffee wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:00 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:50 am The ABs beat the Boks at the RWC.

It all depends WHICH match you lose.. The important ones, or the uninportant one...
Two of those teams lost important games at the RWC. Only one is really judged by it.