Rugby Championship: Springboks vs All Blacks: MATCH THREAD: Sat 2nd Oct

All things Rugby
obelixtim

Re: Rugby Championship: Springboks vs All Blacks: MATCH THREAD: Sat 2nd Oct

Post by obelixtim »

Jensrsa wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:12 am Referee: Matthew Carley (England)
Assistant referees: Damon Murphy (Australia), Jordan Way (Australia)
TMO: Brett Cronan (Australia)

AR change from OP
Another slow Pom reffing. Why can't we have Angus? Hell, even Jaco would be OK.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Tehui wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:15 am I wonder what the Springboks' game plan will be. I'll have to think about that one.
It is a limited but effective strategy that very nearly secured the Springboks a win last weekend. It took a great 78th minute penalty goal from Jordie Barrett for an AB win. There is no guarantee that the AB back three will be any better under the high ball this weekend. And there is no guarantee that our lineout will be better against the Spingboks tall timber who will be contesting all our throw-in's on Saturday.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Tehui wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:15 am I wonder what the Springboks' game plan will be. I'll have to think about that one.
:((
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:11 am Can some explain to me what has happened to Malcom Marx? A couple of years ago he was universally considered the best hooker on Earth. Today's he's a bench player for his national team.
He was explosive at times but average at his core roles. Throwing was weak. He could tear apart defences running the ball then be soft in the tackle himself.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:31 am
It is a limited but effective strategy that very nearly secured the Springboks a win last weekend. It took a great 78th minute penalty goal from Jordie Barrett for an AB win. There is no guarantee that the AB back three will be any better under the high ball this weekend. And there is no guarantee that our lineout will be better against the Spingboks tall timber who will be contesting all our throw-in's on Saturday.
It is also a strategy that has netted the Boks only one win from the last 6 tests against the ABs, 5 with margins of two points or less
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

World #1 spot in play, nor a complete dead rubber for the ABs at least
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Nienaber said: “We made a big step up in terms of our performance last week and, having reviewed the match, there is no doubt we delivered a performance worthy of a victory.

“With that in mind we opted for continuity in our team"
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/nienaber-b ... -amends-1/

:?
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Jensrsa wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:45 am
Nienaber said: “We made a big step up in terms of our performance last week and, having reviewed the match, there is no doubt we delivered a performance worthy of a victory.

I think it's great for the All Blacks that SA are so motivated to win. Last thing the All Backs need is a romp against an uninterested Bok side.

Will be close for an hour, then NZ by 15.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Rugby Championship organisers have ordered players and staff to isolate in their hotels amid a Covid-19 outbreak in Brisbane ahead of the final match of the competition.

The four Rugby Championship teams played in a double-header in Townsville this past weekend and wrap up the competition on the Gold Coast this coming Saturday.

But it is believed New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina and hosts Australia are allowed to continue training outside their hotels at closed sessions but cannot mix with the public, as authorities scramble to contain a potential new Covid-19 outbreak in the Brisbane region.

Queensland chief health officer Jeannette Young said officials could order a lockdown if more cases emerge over the next couple of days, but added there’s no need to panic just yet.

With some restrictions being reintroduced, All Blacks assistant coach Scott McLeod told reporters that the Rugby Championship squads have been ordered to isolate in their hotel rooms.

“We’re not allowed out of the hotel except for essentials or medical visits,” McLeod explained. “It’s something that’s unexpected but we’ve had it before and dealt with it really quickly.”

On Tuesday, though, Bok head coach Jacques Nienaber contradicted McLeod, revealing that the South African squad had not been informed about the latest restriction developments.

“I haven’t seen anything or heard anything official,” Nienaber said. “We were just at dinner when somebody said they had seen that update in the news. But I don’t know what the facts are around that. I’m not sure.”

The outbreak has placed a number of local sporting events in doubt, with the Sheffield Shield cricket match between Queensland and Tasmania in Brisbane called off just before the toss on Tuesday.
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/boks-not-i ... trictions/
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Could this mean no fans on Saturday?

I actually thought they were already staying in bubbles anyway? So they have been allowed to mix with the public before now?
Sards

Post by Sards »

What he is really trying to say is that no plan B has been practiced, looked into, deemed necessary.....so to change the team under such short notice would put so much strain on the coaching staff who would have to dig out their old play books, implement a plan and coach it.....

Nah vok....just stick to Plan A
DonJP

Post by DonJP »

Sards wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:07 pm

What he is really trying to say is that no plan B has been practiced, looked into, deemed necessary.....so to change the team under such short notice would put so much strain on the coaching staff who would have to dig out their old play books, implement a plan and coach it.....

But why does it need to be either or? R1 & kicking the lard out of it (Plan A), or running it (Plan B)? Many English see it this way too. Instead, why can't teams simply mix it up some? Be unpredictable? I mean, SA didn't just boot everything in the WC final, did they? Besides, Nienaber is ignoring history. Over the past 10 yrs, NZ have won 75% v SA. Every team, NZ included effect a certain amount of R1, but making more efficient use of possession is where it really counts. This is the area in which NZ usually prevail over other teams. It's surely in Nienaber's (& Erasmus') head that R1 is effective & after only 1 game v NZ. FCOL, he's just lost x3 on the bounce! Talk about the old, 1 swallow making a summer syndrome? Imagine the excrement that would have come down of Foster's head if the AB's had lost x3 in a row. You can never always tell of course, but are NZ likely to turn over 24 again? They might do of course, but would you bet yr house on it? And as for being hard done by at the death, what of that pen try with 'a clear overlap' according to the ref?! And the 16 pen count against SA? Next Sat to reveal 'all', or more? Depends who wins & whose side you're on I suppose.
booze

Post by booze »

Grandpa wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:14 pm Could this mean no fans on Saturday?

I actually thought they were already staying in bubbles anyway? So they have been allowed to mix with the public before now?
South Africa might take their lead from the Indian cricket team and call it off and fly home :D
booze

Post by booze »

Grandpa wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:02 am

. Last thing the All Backs need is a romp against an uninterested Bok side.

Agreed. But I suspect that we might see a game where the ABs improve and score more freely.

It was deflating to see the problems from 2019 resurface again when we are faced with a side putting us under a lot of pressure.

We have improved this year but that game showed we have a lot more improvement required if we are to win a RWC in 2 years time. what is the point of being able to stick 60 points on a tier 2 side and then not be able to play our game against a top team or fumble our way through a game when put under pressure.

we need more pressure games where we are tested so we truly understand what is required on an individual level and team level. we may also understand that a balance is required in our game when we are at the pointy end of a world cup.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

The Boks are going to get pumped.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:47 am
Dan54. wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:21 am I will say what I said earlier, there is no way Mounga should start, anyone who thinks that a player who has had no rugby for as long as him, been in lockdown for 2 weeks and can then start a test with probably 2 days of full contact training surely wants to see Mounga crocked. Sam Whitelock did not come because he felt that as a tightie he couldn't even offer anything off the bench with that build up. I would leave Mounga out of 23 , and keep him doing full training for a couple of weeks if they can. What's the panic we have won the Bledisloe and RC, why the hell would you want your best No10 starting a test underdone??
If I was coaching team I would risk RMo only if injury forced my hand!
You're acting as if Mo'unga has been out with an injury. He's been on family leave. He's played stacks of Rugby this year, so should still be match fit, and we need him at 10. Given there will be no need to quarantine in the NH, I would hope that Ian Foster wouldn't be so cruel as to subject Mo'unga to two weeks of hotel quarantine for the sake of a few training sessions but no actual gametime.
No, I not acting as if he was out through injury, just as if it been 6 weeks since he had any real contact work. As I said Sam Whitelock pulled out of coming over for this test as he felt not getting out of quarantine until Tuesday really precluded him from even being on bench. I can understand if they do put him on bench, but as I said if I was coaching I not sure I would even do that.
Mind you I saying that as looking after player. I don't think a player can keep full match fitness after 6 weeks off, but then again I only going on what generally is done etc, and listening to people like Sam Whitelock's opinion, and medical and coaching staff would know a shit load more than me about his playing condition.
And I would add, I will be happy to see RMo back whenever it is anyway!
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

If the Boks are going to win, they must get Faf to snip and get Pollard to go hard at the AB 10 and 12, the momentum gained will bring confidence to the backs to actually play. What the Boks have is just kick and chase and nothing else.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

I am getting so tired of the Boks coach and players talking about "their DNA" as an excuse for playing brain dead rugby. :x
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Vok Jens, why do you hate your country so much? Sound like a Cape Crusader.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

OomStruisbaai wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:45 pm Vok Jens, why do you hate your country so much? Sound like a Cape Crusader.
How does wanting his national team, who have lost three tests in a row, to employ a more varied gameplan equate to hating his country?
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Jensrsa wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:11 pm I am getting so tired of the Boks coach and players talking about "their DNA" as an excuse for playing brain dead rugby. :x
I've seen a number of exciting Bok teams over the years. Genetic mutations? :D
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

booze wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:48 pm
Grandpa wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:02 am

. Last thing the All Backs need is a romp against an uninterested Bok side.

Agreed. But I suspect that we might see a game where the ABs improve and score more freely.

It was deflating to see the problems from 2019 resurface again when we are faced with a side putting us under a lot of pressure.

We have improved this year but that game showed we have a lot more improvement required if we are to win a RWC in 2 years time. what is the point of being able to stick 60 points on a tier 2 side and then not be able to play our game against a top team or fumble our way through a game when put under pressure.

we need more pressure games where we are tested so we truly understand what is required on an individual level and team level. we may also understand that a balance is required in our game when we are at the pointy end of a world cup.
Yep. I want to see them deal with it better on Saturday. Hopefully Wales, Ireland and France put them under decent pressure too.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

No England?
puku

Post by puku »

I'm more than happy to see Faf continue to box kick when the Boks are attacking in the red zone

:nod:
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

OomStruisbaai wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:59 pm No England?
No. SA can deal to them.
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

What I'm still trying to figure out is why, when you need 2 bonus point wins to have a chance of winning the comp, and you need to stop the opposition getting at least 1 bonus point, you would play using the type of tactics the Boks used, and then, after they have been shown to be ineffective, double down by picking almost the same team?
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

DonJP wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:19 pm

But why does it need to be either or? R1 & kicking the lard out of it (Plan A), or running it (Plan B)? Many English see it this way too. Instead, why can't teams simply mix it up some? Be unpredictable? I mean, SA didn't just boot everything in the WC final, did they? Besides, Nienaber is ignoring history. Over the past 10 yrs, NZ have won 75% v SA. Every team, NZ included effect a certain amount of R1, but making more efficient use of possession is where it really counts. This is the area in which NZ usually prevail over other teams. It's surely in Nienaber's (& Erasmus') head that R1 is effective & after only 1 game v NZ. FCOL, he's just lost x3 on the bounce! Talk about the old, 1 swallow making a summer syndrome? Imagine the excrement that would have come down of Foster's head if the AB's had lost x3 in a row. You can never always tell of course, but are NZ likely to turn over 24 again? They might do of course, but would you bet yr house on it? And as for being hard done by at the death, what of that pen try with 'a clear overlap' according to the ref?! And the 16 pen count against SA? Next Sat to reveal 'all', or more? Depends who wins & whose side you're on I suppose.
During the ABs dominant period from 10-16, we were the kickingest team in rugby.

Kicking well is part of a dominant strategy and it does not preclude running it well in the same game.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

I don’t understand why SA doesn’t align a kicking game with a pick and go game. Meaning the opposition have to defend the ruck and manage depth for kicks.

Even with more pick and goes it would put some doubt the ABs mind.

The fact that the FAF kicks are so telegraphed could actually be useful in catching out the defensive team.

SA have good wingers - so a more diverse forward/10 man game coupled with the occasional use of the wingers would show a lot more variation.
Last edited by kiwigreg369 on Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

kiwidutchie wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:03 am What I'm still trying to figure out is why, when you need 2 bonus point wins to have a chance of winning the comp, and you need to stop the opposition getting at least 1 bonus point, you would play using the type of tactics the Boks used, and then, after they have been shown to be ineffective, double down by picking almost the same team?
I think they had given up on the RC, and just wanted to win that 100th test.
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

Well, they do have that laager mentality now, don't they!
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

capt hurricane wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:16 am Well, they do have that laager mentality now, don't they!
Much prefer a stout, but each to their own I guess :D
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Grandpa wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:17 pm
OomStruisbaai wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:59 pm No England?
No. SA can deal to them.
They are ranked 2 behind us. Now you have to wait another year. Easy draw for you.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:08 am
Jensrsa wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:04 am
obelixtim wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:02 am So, have the Boks named their team for Saturday yet?

Having made a big song and dance last week, about having to leave a player out due to the judiciary process, and the desperate need to name their team on the Tuesday, and the unfair treatment of the process when Jordie was cleared compared to their man, I expected them to name next Saturdays team today.

So, where is it?
Happy? :lol:
Thanks, will add to the OP :thumbup:

I love how the Springboks name their team early in the week. I cannot understand why the AB's always wait to the last possible hour to name their team.
Foster need time to work out our gameplan
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

OomStruisbaai wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:54 am Foster need time to work out our gameplan
I don't think Ian Foster is smart enough to do that.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

I by and large have no problem with the Boks game plan. It may be boring (although I personally think there is a beauty to most of it, intentional slowing down aside), but f*ck me is it effective. Two losses via last-minute penalty isn't the time to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

The one thing I don't understand is all the kicking once they made it to a good attacking position. Usually, they have used the kicking game very effectively to make their way up the field, and then capitalise with points once they made it to a decent attacking position. On Saturday that seemed to go out the window, kicking the ball away even in the 22. Surely that's where they need to hold it, bash it up with their massive lumps, and accumulate points.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

When you won only one of your last 11 games against the ABs (5 of the last 6 games had margins of 2 points or less) and the last game you won was won by scoring five tries, it should be an indication that some adjustments are needed to the Do Not Attack (DNA) game plan
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

mrbrownstone wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:09 am I by and large have no problem with the Boks game plan. It may be boring (although I personally think there is a beauty to most of it, intentional slowing down aside), but f*ck me is it effective. Two losses via last-minute penalty isn't the time to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

The one thing I don't understand is all the kicking once they made it to a good attacking position. Usually, they have used the kicking game very effectively to make their way up the field, and then capitalise with points once they made it to a decent attacking position. On Saturday that seemed to go out the window, kicking the ball away even in the 22. Surely that's where they need to hold it, bash it up with their massive lumps, and accumulate points.
That was the main point Jean de Villiers raised in his interview.
IKUR01

Post by IKUR01 »

Sonny Blount wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:04 am

During the ABs dominant period from 10-16, we were the kickingest team in rugby.

Kicking well is part of a dominant strategy and it does not preclude running it well in the same game.
We chip kicked, grubbers, cross kicks etc. Lots of attacking kicks to win the ball back. Not just aimless hack in the air and hope. Big difference
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

IKUR01 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:45 am
Sonny Blount wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:04 am

We chip kicked, grubbers, cross kicks etc. Lots of attacking kicks to win the ball back. Not just aimless hack in the air and hope. Big difference
While it wasn't kick and hope, it was mainly long kicking for space rather than a heap of chip kicks which got those stats