When would you be reborn ?

All things Rugby
Sandstorm

Re: When would you be reborn ?

Post by Sandstorm »

bobbity wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:25 am Yep, anyone who thinks life pre-antibiotics/vaccines was great needs a rethink.

Also, automatically assuming that the future won't include some element of post-antibiotics (probably not all antibiotics, but perhaps the loss of many of the cheap effective ones we still have)

Having said that, from a wildlife point of view, there are some things from near-modern times I'd have loved to have seen, even just for an hour. A huge transit of passenger pigeons for instance, flocks that could take hours to pass by, now completely gone. Probably would take it for granted had I been born in that time, would assume that everything I'm seeing is normal and how it has always been. Shifting baselines, why we don't see how much damage has already been done.
Love to try roast dodo on the braai
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

In terms of healthcare and technology then now.

In terms of wealth. I think that the baby boomer generation were probably born in the sweet spot. Therefore for wealth I would say being born in the early 1950s was the best time to be born.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

The 1990s was a great time to be going through school. The last generation to do so before cellphones / texting, emails, the internet. I remember first seeing a 10sec mpeg clip of a Hitler speech on that ancient Encarta encyclopaedia on those old apple mac computers in the school library and couldn’t stop marvelling at “watching tv” on the computer for the first time ever.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Zakar wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:35 pm Throw the dice and say the year 3000. Hopefully a post scarcity society like Ian m Banks' culture series.
I've been to the year 3000
Not much has changed but they live under water
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Auckman wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:07 pm The 1990s was a great time to be going through school. The last generation to do so before cellphones / texting, emails, the internet. I remember first seeing a 10sec mpeg clip of a Hitler speech on that ancient Encarta encyclopaedia on those old apple mac computers in the school library and couldn’t stop marvelling at “watching tv” on the computer for the first time ever.
I'm a Xennial too. I think that we were born at a good time too. Mainly analog childhood but digital adulthood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xennials# ... ly%201980s.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Auckman wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:07 pm The 1990s was a great time to be going through school. The last generation to do so before cellphones / texting, emails, the internet. I remember first seeing a 10sec mpeg clip of a Hitler speech on that ancient Encarta encyclopaedia on those old apple mac computers in the school library and couldn’t stop marvelling at “watching tv” on the computer for the first time ever.
Nah, was shit - the amount of poon I could have got if tinder / PoF / Facebook had existed when I was 18, would have been awesome. Add in the fact that grunge was in an what was avail then didn’t scrub up half as well as insta crowd these days, or the hairy bushed sluts from the 70’s, and it’s a crying shame.
Druid

Post by Druid »

Frodder wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:14 pm
Zakar wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:35 pm Throw the dice and say the year 3000. Hopefully a post scarcity society like Ian m Banks' culture series.
Can I borrow your DeLorean for the weekend Frodder?
Aiming to look up a few ladies from 1968. Is the upholstery dry?
You can call me Bill

Post by You can call me Bill »

backrow wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:13 pm
Nah, was shit - the amount of poon I could have got if tinder / PoF / Facebook had existed when I was 18, would have been awesome. Add in the fact that grunge was in an what was avail then didn’t scrub up half as well as insta crowd these days, or the hairy bushed sluts from the 70’s, and it’s a crying shame.
You're given the opportunity to live at any time in history, past or present, and this is all you can think about ?
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

CM11 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:38 am Mog, not sure what you're referring to when you talk about 'men's rights' but the main one I know is about trying to get parity in terms of how society (well judges) sees parental rights. I've a friend who spent the first 12-13 years of his daughters life fighting to get equal access to his child. Despite the mother's own mother being on his side, despite the fact that the mother was, at best, only fit for equal access and despite him living a more stable life it never happened and it just fizzled out as the daughter was able to start demanding more access herself.

Not something I'd call frivolous.
Yeah there's some crazy shit that goes in with divorces for sure. I'm not saying everything is all totally one way.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

bobbity wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:25 am Yep, anyone who thinks life pre-antibiotics/vaccines was great needs a rethink.
I was thinking the same. Also I'm black, can't imagine any pat of modern history which would actually be better or less racist for me than today. As for culture, I can stream in all these days.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Yep. I want to live in a utopian space-faring society where I can augment my senses and "see" right across the EM spectrum and experience some of the weird and wonderful stellar phenomena. :(
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Druid wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:45 pm
Sure mate, the upholstery is dry as I've never taken the cellophane covers off mate.

Barry or Porthcawl?
backrow

Post by backrow »

You can call me Bill wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:22 pm
You're given the opportunity to live at any time in history, past or present, and this is all you can think about ?
You new here, yep?
Druid

Post by Druid »

Frodder wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:12 pm
Sure mate, the upholstery is dry as I've never taken the cellophane covers off mate.

Barry or Porthcawl?
Do you really think that I'm that shallow Frodder?

Mumbles of course. :smug:
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Druid wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:39 pm
Frodder wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:12 pm

Barry or Porthcawl?
Do you really think that I'm that shallow Frodder?

Mumbles of course. :smug:

Mumbles....the thinking man's 1968 lady meeting location
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

iarmhiman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:40 pm Born 1935 in Petaluna ,California .

By 20 I would have been living in 1950s California.

Petaluna is the city of Hill Valley in back to the future.

Just love the look of the 50s in California.

For white people sure :P ...as a person of colour, any time before the 21st C would be pretty shit for me.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

penguin wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:14 am
:thumbup:
More likely a dystopian one like Brazil
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

Early to mid-60s Santa Monica to be around for the birth of modern skate culture through the late 70s, 80s and 90’s in California.
AlanBengio

Post by AlanBengio »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:43 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:38 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:20 pm I dunno. I honestly think that if you are white, straight, male and live in a first world country, you can count yourself as one of the luckiest people to have ever existed in history. I don't mean in the top 1% I mean in the top 0.00000001%.

So maybe in the future?

Before anyone jumps down my throat, there's nothing wrong with being female, gay or non-white. I'm just acknowledging that life is easier.

There's nothing more pathetic in my eyes than these "men's rights activists". Mostly white men living in a rich country playing the victim. I'm no wokey justice warrior. But talk about the most complete lack of self awareness.
Anyone who lives in a first world country is lucky.
There's some f**king hideous poverty in first world countries.
But if you born poor in first world country you get more than a chance to get out of it.
If you born poor in third world country - 99,9% you are done

I can say I was born poor and I became wealthy - and I could exploit undeniable advantages of free (good) education, free (good) healthcare, reasonable financial help. And I have been lucky in few things that happened on my way - of course I grabbed this luck as soon as I saw it and not everyone is able to do that; but I had chances albeit it was more difficult than for rich people
You can call me Bill

AlanBengio wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:51 am
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:43 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:38 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:20 pm I dunno. I honestly think that if you are white, straight, male and live in a first world country, you can count yourself as one of the luckiest people to have ever existed in history. I don't mean in the top 1% I mean in the top 0.00000001%.

So maybe in the future?

Before anyone jumps down my throat, there's nothing wrong with being female, gay or non-white. I'm just acknowledging that life is easier.

There's nothing more pathetic in my eyes than these "men's rights activists". Mostly white men living in a rich country playing the victim. I'm no wokey justice warrior. But talk about the most complete lack of self awareness.
Anyone who lives in a first world country is lucky.
There's some f**king hideous poverty in first world countries.

But if you born poor in first world country you get more than a chance to get out of it.

If you born poor in third world country - 99,9% you are done

I can say I was born poor and I became wealthy - and I could exploit undeniable advantages of free (good) education, free (good) healthcare, reasonable financial help. And I have been lucky in few things that happened on my way - of course I grabbed this luck as soon as I saw it and not everyone is able to do that; but I had chances albeit it was more difficult than for rich people
This is very true.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

What’s PoF?
backrow

Post by backrow »

Auckman wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:45 pm
What’s PoF?
Plenty of fish, was a dating site , which like the others seems to have been a convenient way for women with low esteem / standards / luck / eyesight to meet men.
Had I been ten-20 years younger I would have hit these sights hard , rather than the old way of meeting women with these qualities down the Redback / bar38 / Brodie’s / any of the other meat markets I used to frequent.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

:lol: Ok
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

When the ban on smoking in bars/pubs and restaurants came into effect.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

Dozy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:47 am I'd say 20 years after I was born, same routes but a later run. I would like to know what I do know and would be aware of the strokes that would be attempted in 2020 well in advance.
Would certainly save on footwear!

(Long March)
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

So maybe in the future?

Ridiculous generalisation.

According to you white thrash in nowheresville Kentucky (where the last coal mine closed 20 years ago & Sackler have killed everything else) have a better life than middle class Indian women in West London (to pick a random example).

On average white men have the best of life; that doesn't in any way equate to saying that all white men have it good.

That's a problem I have with a lot of present day Left-wing politics - they have somehow forgotten about class as a basis for inequality in favour of other aspects. The US Democrats are a prime example.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

lilyw wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:20 am

So maybe in the future?

According to you white thrash in nowheresville Kentucky (where the last coal mine closed 20 years ago & Sackler have killed everything else) have a better life than middle class Indian women in West London (to pick a random example).

On average white men have the best of life; that doesn't in any way equate to saying that all white men have it good.

That's a problem I have with a lot of present day Left-wing politics - they have somehow forgotten about class as a basis for inequality in favour of other aspects. The US Democrats are a prime example.
Obviously I'm talking broad, general demographics. Not making statements about every individual who has ever lived. Duh.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

So maybe in the future?

f**king snowflake :lol:
You can call me Bill

On average white men have the best of life
Not that it's got much to.do with the OP, but have you got any links for this ?
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

You can call me Bill wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:56 pm
No single piece of data, but several linked ones:

1) Every country has a gender pay gap (you can argue until the cows come home about why, but it exists) - on average Western men earn between 8.2% & 23.1% more than Western women, the gap is higher in most other regions

2) In countries with a diverse workforce (e.g. discounting effective monocultures such as Japan, China, Korea) there is an ethnic pay gap. Outside the USA Whites are at the top of that tree, gap ranging from as little as 2.3% up to more than 20%; in the US Asian Americans (presumably predominantly East Asian though the data that I saw didn't specify) are 1st, whites second, Hispanic 3rd, blacks 4th (Gaps of 7%, 12%, 8%).

3) Former colonies (to use a somewhat outdated term) still frequently have a very small white workforce but it tends to have a much higher average salary - hence I'm not sure that it forms a valid basis for comparison.

Putting all of these together it sys that in the Western world outside the US White males are the highest average earners, in the US they are the 2nd highest.
Pole

Post by Pole »

lilyw wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:29 pm
1) Every country has a gender pay gap (you can argue until the cows come home about why, but it exists) - on average Western men earn between 8.2% & 23.1% more than Western women, the gap is higher in most other regions
Is this based on Male vs Female across the board or is it based specifically on a certain job function?
You can call me Bill

lilyw wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:29 pm
You can call me Bill wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:56 pm
No single piece of data, but several linked ones:

2) In countries with a diverse workforce (e.g. discounting effective monocultures such as Japan, China, Korea) there is an ethnic pay gap. Outside the USA Whites are at the top of that tree, gap ranging from as little as 2.3% up to more than 20%; in the US Asian Americans (presumably predominantly East Asian though the data that I saw didn't specify) are 1st, whites second, Hispanic 3rd, blacks 4th (Gaps of 7%, 12%, 8%).

3) Former colonies (to use a somewhat outdated term) still frequently have a very small white workforce but it tends to have a much higher average salary - hence I'm not sure that it forms a valid basis for comparison.

Putting all of these together it sys that in the Western world outside the US White males are the highest average earners, in the US they are the 2nd highest.
OK and I appreciate the response. I don"t agree that any if that demonstrates that men have "the best of life".

I think that young western women have the world put on a plate for them to be honest.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

You can call me Bill wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:43 pm
OK and I appreciate the response. I don"t agree that any if that demonstrates that men have "the best of life".

I think that young western women have the world put on a plate for them to be honest.
I freely admit that salary is only one aspect of having a good life, however it is progressively more difficult to have a good life as your relative earnings decline.

I disagree with you about young Western women. They appear to have absolutely everything going for them, and indeed there are few legal or official barriers to their life choices any more, but there are still deep-seated cultural limits.

My experience is 2nd hand (duh!!!!!!!) but it is based on my 2 adult daughters, their friends, & the children of my friends. We move in comfortably liberal middle-class circles; the girls went to mixed schools with good academic records (& where the girls out-perform the boys in exams as is the case in most mixed schools here).

However when it came to 3rd level choices (this was only around 10 years ago) those same high-achieving girls & boys had a very asymmetric split of college (& hence career) choices. The courses that lead to higher earnings and faster career progression were still over-whelmingly male. There is nothing explicit in either policy or practice that causes this, it seems to still be a soft set of prejudices that drive it. As an anecdotal example: my older girl was offered a fast-track into one of the big pharma company's graduate programmes, however she decided to stay with teaching because she still saw the "cut-throat" world of executive advancement as male; as a result her cousin will comfortably out-earn her for the rest of his life even though she out-performed him through their entire school career.

Again I accept that this is only one aspect of their lives (& my daughter is reasonably happy with her choice) but it it is a pretty big one.
You can call me Bill

lilyw wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:10 pm

As an anecdotal example: my older girl was offered a fast-track into one of the big pharma company's graduate programmes, however she decided to stay with teaching because she still saw the "cut-throat" world of executive advancement as male
Appreciate the reply and explanation again.

On the point I've quoted above, are you saying that men are given preferential treatment by employers in promotions ? That's not my perception.

Where does the cut throat angle come in to it in terms of gender bias ?
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

You can call me Bill wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:22 pm

As an anecdotal example: my older girl was offered a fast-track into one of the big pharma company's graduate programmes, however she decided to stay with teaching because she still saw the "cut-throat" world of executive advancement as male

On the point I've quoted above, are you saying that men are given preferential treatment by employers in promotions ? That's not my perception.

The biggest difference is surely safety? I go running at night when it is dark... a lot of women I know just don't risk it, even in relatively safe areas like I live (rural Yorkshire). And those that do don't feel that safe... safety never crosses my mind when I go out at night...
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Grandpa wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:24 am

The biggest difference is surely safety? I go running at night when it is dark... a lot of women I know just don't risk it, even in relatively safe areas like I live (rural Yorkshire). And those that do don't feel that safe... safety never crosses my mind when I go out at night...
Fcuk me. Grandpa IS the Yorkshire Ripper!
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

LandOTurk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:26 pm

Fcuk me. Grandpa IS the Yorkshire Ripper!
Harsh... But fair.
You can call me Bill

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Farva

Post by Farva »

Safety is one thing. Gender norms is another.
Consider the recent example of Julia Gillard becoming the PM of Australia and the language that followed it. It was appalling. Burn the witch was a frequent statement. Her dress sense was picked up by the media and run with. That would never have happened with a male leader. It overshadowed her actual performance. Anecdotal I know but given she was the leader of Australia I think it pretty representative of the way the country operated.

Im blown away that someone is actually suggesting that women have it better than men in general? Are they not participating in reality?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Harveys wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:28 am Early to mid-60s Santa Monica to be around for the birth of modern skate culture through the late 70s, 80s and 90’s in California.
That would be fun, for a visit though, not to be reborn.