goeagles

Tel Aviv Heat vs Black Lion Tbilisi Official Match Thread

Post by goeagles »

Kickoff: 17:00 (local), 13:00 (UTC)

Watch: https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/rugby-europe ... aviv-heat/

Where: Avchala Stadium, Tbilisi

Who: Image

vs

Last edited by goeagles on Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zakar

Re: Tel Aviv Heat vs Black Lion Tbilisi Official Match Thread

Post by Zakar »

I love that every Georgian team looks like 15 henchmen from a bond film.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Zakar wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:56 pm I love that every Georgian team looks like 15 henchmen from a bond film.
:lol:

No fans in the stands due to Covid. Unfortunate.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Is that a dedicated rugby stadium?
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

grievous wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:04 pm Is that a dedicated rugby stadium?
Yep
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

Time to turn the Heat on
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Georgian scrum just demolished the Heat after a 22 went out on the full. Penalty straight in front of the posts. 3-0 Black Lion.

Link here: https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/rugby-europe ... aviv-heat/
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Georgians looking very strong. Another scrum penalty leads to an attacking lineout. Georgia gets over the gain line a few times and throws a miss pass out wide for a try. 10-0.
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

goeagles wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:11 pm Georgian scrum just demolished the Heat after a 22 went out on the full. Penalty straight in front of the posts. 3-0 Black Lion.

Link here: https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/rugby-europe ... aviv-heat/
Thx
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Heat put together a few phases on the 22. Chait puts a kick through that ends up in goal, Matiashvili seemingly bobbles the ball into touch and the ref awards a penalty try and yellow card. Pretty harsh IMO but it's 10-7.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

TLV pulls the maul down. Black Lion has another good maul, they peel off the back but get held up over the line. New ELV comes into play and Groom takes a quick goal line drop out finding space and relieving pressure.
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

Nice one Groom!
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Black Lion engage early but the free kick goes against the Heat. Black Lion take another scrum, earn another penalty and the loosehead Mangwana gets a yellow.
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

14 against 15 then for 10 ouch!
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

Azariah Israel Immanueli nice Jewish name
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Black Lion get a try off a rolling maul after a hands in the ruck penalty. Conversion wide. 15-7.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Ibitoye makes a great break, links up with support and the Heat get pulled down inside 5m. Lose a little ground, but maintain possession and earn a penalty in front of the posts. Chait's kick is good. 15-10.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Thrilling break, deserved a try but Tel Aviv will take the 3 points, all things considered.
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

Chait keeping us in striking distance!
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Kick battle which Black Lion win and earn another penalty in front of the posts. 18-10 and it's halftime.
Short Man Syndrome

Tel Aviv blindside reminds me of a lot of guys I played with in 3rds teams... he’s fallen over twice without anyone being near him. I’m guessing he has unreal farmer-strength in the tight.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:51 pm Tel Aviv blindside reminds me of a lot of guys I played with in 3rds teams... he’s fallen over twice without anyone being near him. I’m guessing he has unreal farmer-strength in the tight.
I think he just has the wrong studs or something. That's Jasa Veremalua, Fijian 7s gold medalist and played for SD Legion in MLR the past few years. Usually quite agile for a loosie.
Short Man Syndrome

goeagles wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:00 pm
Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:51 pm Tel Aviv blindside reminds me of a lot of guys I played with in 3rds teams... he’s fallen over twice without anyone being near him. I’m guessing he has unreal farmer-strength in the tight.
I think he just has the wrong studs or something. That's Jasa Veremalua, Fijian 7s gold medalist and played for SD Legion in MLR the past few years. Usually quite agile for a loosie.
Fijian 7s, you say? He must be playing on roller-skates today! Made me chuckle a few times.

Good match - interesting tussle so far.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Heat earn a penalty, Chait misses touch and Black Lion punish with a kick through for a try. 23-10.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:05 pm
goeagles wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:00 pm
Fijian 7s, you say? He must be playing on roller-skates today! Made me chuckle a few times.

Good match - interesting tussle so far.
:lol:

Another penalty to Black Lion. 26-10. TLV replacement lock off for a HIA.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Black Lion knock on the kickoff, commit a penalty at the ensuing scrum and the Heat get a 5m attacking lineout. The throw is wayward and Black Lion clear pressure.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Much better passage of play from the Heat. The put together some phases and not only earn a penalty but a yellow against the Georgian prop.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

More phase play from Black Lion and they find space wide. 33-10 and that's the bonus point.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

33-10 Black Lion is the final. Lots to work on for the Heat but there were flashes.
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

goeagles wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:46 pm 33-10 Black Lion is the final. Lots to work on for the Heat but there were flashes.
Georgia is 12-th on WR Rankings and Israel 57-th
In above context it is a good result for the Heat
FullbackAce

Post by FullbackAce »

Not bad for the first game, I guess the main goal for Georgia is to improve the creativity in the attack and have a better-drilled backline overall.

Globally I hope the tournament picks up pace over the years with more European cities becoming involved (Especially the Rich populous ones). If MLR/ SC both succeed and keep improving Rugby might just reach the golden age in the mid 21st century. Still a long way off, however. For now, let's just hope the tourney doesn't fall apart in a couple of years.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

FullbackAce wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:40 pm Not bad for the first game, I guess the main goal for Georgia is to improve the creativity in the attack and have a better-drilled backline overall.

Globally I hope the tournament picks up pace over the years with more European cities becoming involved (Especially the Rich populous ones). If MLR/ SC both succeed and keep improving Rugby might just reach the golden age in the mid 21st century. Still a long way off, however. For now, let's just hope the tourney doesn't fall apart in a couple of years.
Agreed. Although the Heat's model for other teams looking to do similar is going to be tough in such a shortened season. Basically we to have more matches so that it's financially viable to have a proper preseason. The Heat were obviously undercooked going into the match yesterday. I honestly thought the score was not reflective of Tbilisi's dominance.
Heymans

Post by Heymans »

Whats Jasa Veremalua doing in there?

Did the Legion give him the boot?
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

was wondering what happened to Jordan Chiat. He is a very talented young man - comes from a good rugby family in cape town
Short Man Syndrome

Heymans wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:06 pm Whats Jasa Veremalua doing in there?

The MLR doesn’t pay a lot, a lot of players head off to play elsewhere for the rest of the year to pay the bills. A lot of kiwis use it as a chance to get a sun tan and earn some extra wedge before their season starts.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Monk Zombie wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:35 pm was wondering what happened to Jordan Chiat. He is a very talented young man - comes from a good rugby family in cape town
He's actually on loan from the Sharks. He's still contracted to them and will return after the regular season in December.
Working Class Rugger

Post by Working Class Rugger »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:59 pm
Heymans wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:06 pm Whats Jasa Veremalua doing in there?

The MLR doesn’t pay a lot, a lot of players head off to play elsewhere for the rest of the year to pay the bills. A lot of kiwis use it as a chance to get a sun tan and earn some extra wedge before their season starts.
By design at present as a measure to ensure the league doesn't stretch itself too thin financially.
Working Class Rugger

FullbackAce wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:40 pm Not bad for the first game, I guess the main goal for Georgia is to improve the creativity in the attack and have a better-drilled backline overall.

And hopefully SLAR can find itself in a sustainable position as well.
Working Class Rugger

You'd hope they would have at least a loose plan on which cities they would target and hopefully a means to eventually transition this into a proper season schedule. Would do the game wonders on the continent if it got to a pint where SC could begin to resemble the ProD2.
FullbackAce

Post by FullbackAce »

Working Class Rugger wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:32 pmYou'd hope they would have at least a loose plan on which cities they would target and hopefully a means to eventually transition this into a proper season schedule. Would do the game wonders on the continent if it got to a pint where SC could begin to resemble the ProD2.
Yes SLAR as well ofc. The three leagues together will bring pro rugby to the wider world.

As far as RESC goes Romanians are bound to join in the next few years. Hopefully, Germans get their shit together down the line and sign up as well. After that, who knows. The important thing is that going forward, if there's a will, there's a way to play pro rugby, which has never been the case before in continental Europe. Any city or a National Franchise should be welcome as long as they're serious and have enough financial backing to avoid destabilizing the tournament. Now it's up to Rugby Europe to increase the quality of the tournament and the World Rugby to work with the unions and popularize the sport across the continent. How competent they are at either of those things is questionable.