Grassroots club promotion

All things Rugby
Nieghorn

Grassroots club promotion

Post by Nieghorn »

Does anyone have good examples of a club outside the pros doing great self-promotion? I know of one in Canada and spoke to their lead socials guy, who was happy to offer some advice, but would love to see more.

Interestingly, they’re a club with average teams, none in the top divisions, but they appear to be thriving post Covid with numbers growing and rosters overflowing with players (dressing more than 22 because there’s just an exhibition league at them moment and no other club can get a 2nd XV together).
Puma

Re: Grassroots club promotion

Post by Puma »

Down here it's either mouth to mouth (kids bringing friends along) or promotion at schools that don't play rugby.

Usually rugby playing schools form themselves as a club and retain lots of alumni...
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Nieghorn wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:44 pm Does anyone have good examples of a club outside the pros doing great self-promotion? I know of one in Canada and spoke to their lead socials guy, who was happy to offer some advice, but would love to see more.

Interestingly, they’re a club with average teams, none in the top divisions, but they appear to be thriving post Covid with numbers growing and rosters overflowing with players (dressing more than 22 because there’s just an exhibition league at them moment and no other club can get a 2nd XV together).
I'd love to know what their strategy is to keep players coming in.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

eldanielfire wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:38 pm
Nieghorn wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:44 pm Does anyone have good examples of a club outside the pros doing great self-promotion? I know of one in Canada and spoke to their lead socials guy, who was happy to offer some advice, but would love to see more.

I'd love to know what their strategy is to keep players coming in.
We didn’t specifically talk about that but some things were clear… they know they’re not premier and aren’t interested in going there so focus on playing well but not beasting or being hardcore about training attendance, etc. But people want to come out because it’s a fun and welcoming environment, they do love having a few , getting together at a local pub after Thurs training and home matches. Playing time is balanced and the seconds aren’t always the place for the rejects. When I coached them many years ago, numbers could be tight some weekends so first teamers would do halves in the game before to ensure the 2nds had a full XV. Those same leaders are there 10 years later and the ethos continues to the younger players who step up because they care about keeping what drew/keeps them there alive. This is true for the women as it is the men and they often train alongside when appropriate (warmups, touch, skills, winter training indoors)

I guess it’s not rocket science, but a lot of clubs focus only on their top men’s side and even in that, cliques of mates and the best players. I know one that’s ruined itself by chasing premiership (Why? There’s no extra money involved… all about ego.) They pay to fly in ringers and relegate good young players to the reserves or 3rds (sometimes better than the reserves being filled with vets who don’t care about chasing ‘glory’). They’ll never get beyond mid-table in that league. Another has bounced back to from that sort of thing focusing purely on their youth and home grown players, trying to make a bigger impact in local schools and with ties to the local FE college, encouraging graduates to stay in the area by helping them with jobs, transition, etc.

On the social media side, the team in the OP has almost-daily content. Most use pictures from training or games showing action, and it’s clear they both use a wide range of photos and are making an attempt to make them known. Occasionally, he hands over to others to make a fun video, including one guy who’s done some funny skits to promote a future match or event. He also asked if I noticed they don’t post scores? It struck me that while you will see lineups, I’d never seen a result. I know they’re mid-table so it’s not about hiding losses, but he said they haven’t posted a score in five years as wins and losses are nit what the club is about. What you would see post match are game shots of someone doing something cool or celebrating, odd dramatic shot. More so pics of them having a good time post match. They also highlight what their membership do in the community and there are never blatant ads unless it’s in support of a member’s business event.