The Official Irish Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
anonymous_joe

Re: The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Post by anonymous_joe »

Floppykid wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:23 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:47 pm
CarrotGawks wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:44 pm
highlands wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:43 pm Christ we were shit. What is the point of larkham. Either give him a go at the top job or send him back to Australia. Those constant pick and gos are infuriating. You just know it will be the same ole same ole when it comes to the business end. No inventiveness whatsoever.
Connaught deserved to win.
They got the try that won the game with pick and goes.
And that is the problem right there. Try that against any top team and see how it goes.
Same can be said for Leinster at the very sharp end of the season.
We don't value attacking play properly in this country.
Rabulah Conundrum

Post by Rabulah Conundrum »

anonymous_joe wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:51 pm
This 100%.
diarm

Post by diarm »

anonymous_joe wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:51 pm
Floppykid wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:23 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:47 pm
CarrotGawks wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:44 pm
highlands wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:43 pm Christ we were shit. What is the point of larkham. Either give him a go at the top job or send him back to Australia. Those constant pick and gos are infuriating. You just know it will be the same ole same ole when it comes to the business end. No inventiveness whatsoever.
Connaught deserved to win.
They got the try that won the game with pick and goes.
And that is the problem right there. Try that against any top team and see how it goes.
Same can be said for Leinster at the very sharp end of the season.
Yep, and the law makers are (rightly) hell bent on implementing rules to penalise negative play. We either need to start learning or we are going to be left well behind.

There is no excuse either, with the calibre of athletes we are producing. We're wasting good talent on shite rugby.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:23 pm
Luckycharmer wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:22 pm
diarm wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:16 pm
Luckycharmer wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:13 pm Let's talk about Dan Sheehan he could overtake Kelleher, way ahead of any other hooker.
He's bloody massive. He carried into contact over on this near side towards the end - when they all got up, he was surrounded by second rows and flankers and was bigger than all of them.

How is his throwing?
Throwing is very good, think height helps there. Scrum was a worry but improving. So powerful and dynamic.
And from a long standing Mary’s family you forgot to mention :lol:
No he isn't he came through Bective, Trinity, Lansdowne
IBWT

Post by IBWT »

Andy Friend. Not so happy.
Connacht head coach Andy Friend was left angered by the officials, after his side's narrow United Rugby Championship defeat to neighbours Munster.

The western province were beaten for the third time in four games, going down 20-18 to Johann van Graan's side at Thomond Park after Joey Carbery converted Diarmuid Barron's 79th minute try.

Munster had led the game 7-6 at half time following a Chris Cloete try, which Friend says never should have been given.

Cloete touched down after an excellent piece of footwork from Tadhg Beirne, however replays showed the second row had been ahead of Rory Scannell after the centre's crossfield kick.

Friend says very little time was afforded to checking the incident by the match officials, in contrast to an earlier Connacht score which had been correctly disallowed.

"It hurts, it hurts to lose a game like that," he said.

"I thought we were the better team, the scoreboard does not tell you that, we ask for consistency in this game, I didn't think we got it.

"For Tiernan’s (O'Halloran) try, it is a knock-on, the correct decision was made then, the ball went forward, that was fair enough, it did go forward. But there was a lot of time spent to get that decision. I thought the yellow card for Sammy Arnold was a very harsh call.

"I then thought, in fact I know, when Joey Carbery (it was Rory Scannell) puts the crossfield kick in that you have got Tadhg Beirne offside.

"It doesn’t get looked at. It doesn’t get pored over in the same manner."

And while Connacht retook the lead on 70 minutes before Munster's comeback, Friend says it was a crucial swing in the game.

"So they end up getting seven points for that. And at the end of the day they win by two points. So I am frustrated and annoyed by that."

The Australian was tightlipped when asked if there is a pattern of his side coming out the wrong side of the officials.

"I will let others decide. We very rarely end up on the right side. If it is a 50/50, it very rarely goes our side. It is hard," he added.

Meanwhile Munster head coach Johann van Graan said he had not watched the controversial try back.

"This game is about small margins and, like every weekend, both sides have certain calls that go for them and against them.

"We will go and review the game as normal on Monday and see if we have any issues."
diarm

Post by diarm »

IBWT wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:36 pm Andy Friend. Not so happy.
Deservedly so to be fair. We'd be absolutely raging if we were in his shoes.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Not sure he should have gone with the victim complex and also not sure how basically calling the ref biased is being 'tight-lipped'!

But yeah, it was an awful miss by the officials.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

The Yellow and the missed off side were fairly bad calls that swung the game to Munster.
Such is the way of sport though.

Ireland's outhalf situation is not great. Harry is made of meringue so can't develop, Carbery is f**ked, Healy I need to see more of but so far he's giving me Ross Byrne vibes, I think the ship has sailed on Carty and Burns isn't even HEC level imo.
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

But yeah, it was an awful miss by the officials
By the TMO, surely.

He'd do well not to suggest it's personal, standard of officiating in the league's well known.
Last edited by lemonhead on Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Floppykid wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:10 am The Yellow and the missed off side were fairly bad calls that swung the game to Munster.
Such is the way of sport though.

Ireland's outhalf situation is not great. Harry is made of meringue so can't develop, Carbery is f**ked, Healy I need to see more of but so far he's giving me Ross Byrne vibes, I think the ship has sailed on Carty and Burns isn't even HEC level imo.
Lowry :thumbup:
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

IBWT wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:36 pm Andy Friend. Not so happy.
Connacht head coach Andy Friend was left angered by the officials, after his side's narrow United Rugby Championship defeat to neighbours Munster.

The western province were beaten for the third time in four games, going down 20-18 to Johann van Graan's side at Thomond Park after Joey Carbery converted Diarmuid Barron's 79th minute try.

Munster had led the game 7-6 at half time following a Chris Cloete try, which Friend says never should have been given.

Cloete touched down after an excellent piece of footwork from Tadhg Beirne, however replays showed the second row had been ahead of Rory Scannell after the centre's crossfield kick.

Friend says very little time was afforded to checking the incident by the match officials, in contrast to an earlier Connacht score which had been correctly disallowed.

"It hurts, it hurts to lose a game like that," he said.

"I thought we were the better team, the scoreboard does not tell you that, we ask for consistency in this game, I didn't think we got it.

"For Tiernan’s (O'Halloran) try, it is a knock-on, the correct decision was made then, the ball went forward, that was fair enough, it did go forward. But there was a lot of time spent to get that decision. I thought the yellow card for Sammy Arnold was a very harsh call.

"I then thought, in fact I know, when Joey Carbery (it was Rory Scannell) puts the crossfield kick in that you have got Tadhg Beirne offside.

"It doesn’t get looked at. It doesn’t get pored over in the same manner."

And while Connacht retook the lead on 70 minutes before Munster's comeback, Friend says it was a crucial swing in the game.

"So they end up getting seven points for that. And at the end of the day they win by two points. So I am frustrated and annoyed by that."

The Australian was tightlipped when asked if there is a pattern of his side coming out the wrong side of the officials.

"I will let others decide. We very rarely end up on the right side. If it is a 50/50, it very rarely goes our side. It is hard," he added.

Meanwhile Munster head coach Johann van Graan said he had not watched the controversial try back.

"This game is about small margins and, like every weekend, both sides have certain calls that go for them and against them.

"We will go and review the game as normal on Monday and see if we have any issues."
There was a blatant knock on in the lead up to Connachts first try, these things happen
RWC2015

Post by RWC2015 »

Munster back to being dirt. Have officially ruined Joey.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

RWC2015 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:15 am Munster back to being dirt. Have officially ruined Joey.
They just break whatever shiny new toys they're given. :x
Newby1

Post by Newby1 »

camroc1 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:26 am
RWC2015 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:15 am Munster back to being dirt. Have officially ruined Joey.
To be fair, I think this time Joey broke Munsters backline.
Porterbelly1

Post by Porterbelly1 »

CM11 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:54 pm Not sure he should have gone with the victim complex and also not sure how basically calling the ref biased is being 'tight-lipped'!

But yeah, it was an awful miss by the officials.
Friend needs to look at our own deficiencies. Silly mistakes at restarts and a bit of alack of ambition. We need to play more rugby, the likes of Porch and Hansen were starved, they have the potential to cut anyone open. Playing TOH at 15 again after stinking it up for the first few games is not good enough. Porch to 15 and get Wooton or Sullivan on the wing. On the few rare occasions we played at pace and tried to move the ball we looked decent.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Newby1 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:45 am
To be fair, I think this time Joey broke Munsters backline.
I am so relieved they are shit again, had thought it was going to be another period of them dominating.
Like those two years way back when.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Then they set fire to them.
hermie

Post by hermie »

lorcanoworms wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:13 am
Then they set fire to them.
:lol:
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Anyway, another weekend, another Leinster win..........
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Can the westies put in another cup performance next week in Lansdowne?

If so we'll have a belter of a game
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:42 am Can the westies put in another cup performance next week in Lansdowne?

?

Leinster are in Glasgow next week.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

camroc1 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:53 am
iarmhiman wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:42 am Can the westies put in another cup performance next week in Lansdowne?

?

I know.

I said Westies. They're playing Ulster in Lansdowne i think.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:04 pm

?

I know.

Yup.

They're hosting us in the palindrome.

Ref's from Munster, so we're expecting a favour returned.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Connacht have a very dogged pack. No way could ulster defend their line vs Munster for as long as they did. They aren’t the biggest, but they are tough.

Though the Munster halfbacks were push poor. Cadets kicking was awful, clearly not his game and Carbery isn’t within an arses roar of an international 10.

Not sure if Munster broke him at 10, was he ever an out half. For Leinster he played his best rugby at 15.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:04 pm

?

I know.

Ah, OK. :thumbup:
Ulsters Red Hand

I see the DART is canned for next weekend, was planning on driving to Malahide and getting the Dart across. Any other good alternatives Dubliners which don't involve driving / parking to city centre?
Ulsters Red Hand

Also do we definitely need some kind of digital certificate? I thought rules changed in ROI on the 22nd?
DOB

Post by DOB »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:11 pm I see the DART is canned for next weekend, was planning on driving to Malahide and getting the Dart across. Any other good alternatives Dubliners which don't involve driving / parking to city centre?
Park at the airport and get the Aircoach to D4?
RWC2015

Post by RWC2015 »

Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:53 pm Connacht have a very dogged pack. No way could ulster defend their line vs Munster for as long as they did. They aren’t the biggest, but they are tough.

Though the Munster halfbacks were push poor. Cadets kicking was awful, clearly not his game and Carbery isn’t within an arses roar of an international 10.

Not sure if Munster broke him at 10, was he ever an out half. For Leinster he played his best rugby at 15.
He played his best rugby at 10 IMO. Some absolutely beautiful performances at 10. I remember Glasgow away and he just poetry in motion.

Then he got f**ked over at Leinster, and now he's playing for a team that play 9 man rugby. Munster using a lamborghini to pick up the weekly shopping.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:16 pm Also do we definitely need some kind of digital certificate? I thought rules changed in ROI on the 22nd?
Bunch of us going down
I hadn’t considered this
Do we need anything?
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Winnie wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:27 pm
Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:16 pm Also do we definitely need some kind of digital certificate? I thought rules changed in ROI on the 22nd?
Bunch of us going down
I hadn’t considered this
Do we need anything?
Bring your NHS pass Winnie
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:34 pm
Bunch of us going down
I hadn’t considered this
Do we need anything?
Will do
Cheers :thumbup:
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Luckycharmer wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:29 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:23 pm
Luckycharmer wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:22 pm
diarm wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:16 pm
Luckycharmer wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:13 pm Let's talk about Dan Sheehan he could overtake Kelleher, way ahead of any other hooker.
He's bloody massive. He carried into contact over on this near side towards the end - when they all got up, he was surrounded by second rows and flankers and was bigger than all of them.

How is his throwing?
Throwing is very good, think height helps there. Scrum was a worry but improving. So powerful and dynamic.
And from a long standing Mary’s family you forgot to mention :lol:
No he isn't he came through Bective, Trinity, Lansdowne
Didn’t know that - the wider family would have all played for Mary’s
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:11 pm I see the DART is canned for next weekend, was planning on driving to Malahide and getting the Dart across. Any other good alternatives Dubliners which don't involve driving / parking to city centre?
One option would be to take the M50 to the Carrickmines/Foxrock exit, park and ride there taking the luas into the city, get off somewhere like Charlemont and walk down to the stadium, or go all the way into st Stephen’s green and pub crawl your way back out to Lansdowne
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Just saw the first Munster try from last night there. That was a disgraceful decision. Not only were two players ahead of the ball, but there was a nice line showing them to be so,
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

camroc1 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:35 pm Just saw the first Munster try from last night there. That was a disgraceful decision. Not only were two players ahead of the ball, but there was a nice line showing them to be so,
It’s hard to understand how the TMO missed it. He spent ages looking at the Connacht knock on but then for the Munster try he just gives it. It was real home advantage stuff. I blame the TMO and the touch judges more than the ref for that one. The ref did try to level things later on when a Connacht player took out a Munster player in the air and he just gave a penalty. I thought the ref was fine overall
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:29 pm
One option would be to take the M50 to the Carrickmines/Foxrock exit, park and ride there taking the luas into the city, get off somewhere like Charlemont and walk down to the stadium, or go all the way into st Stephen’s green and pub crawl your way back out to Lansdowne
Or get off the M50 at Junction 6 Blanchardstown and use the Park and Ride at Coolmine station and either go on into Connolly, or change at Broombridge for the Greenline LUAS.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

camroc1 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:43 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:29 pm
Or get off the M50 at Junction 6 Blanchardstown and use the Park and Ride at Coolmine station and either go on into Connolly, or change at Broombridge for the Greenline LUAS.
He’d have to get the red line luas and then change - I wouldn’t wish the red line on my worst enemy!
Ulsters Red Hand

Winnie wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:13 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:34 pm
Bunch of us going down
I hadn’t considered this
Do we need anything?
Will do
Cheers :thumbup:
Stats said you need some kind of certificate when I asked before. Stats?
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:39 pm
camroc1 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:35 pm Just saw the first Munster try from last night there. That was a disgraceful decision. Not only were two players ahead of the ball, but there was a nice line showing them to be so,
It’s hard to understand how the TMO missed it. He spent ages looking at the Connacht knock on but then for the Munster try he just gives it. It was real home advantage stuff. I blame the TMO and the touch judges more than the ref for that one. The ref did try to level things later on when a Connacht player took out a Munster player in the air and he just gave a penalty. I thought the ref was fine overall
Tbf, I think they were looking at the Connacht knock on to try and give it rather than the other way around. It was a fairly obviously forward in real time. Doesn't explain why they didn't look at the Munster try properly though. That was less obvious to the ref but what on earth was the AR looking at?