Mike Phillips: ‘Half Truths’ - the exclusives!

All things Rugby
Derwyn

Mike Phillips: ‘Half Truths’ - the exclusives!

Post by Derwyn »

Wales and Lions scrum-half legend Mike Phillips has penned his memoirs - and, as you would expect, he doesn’t pull any punches in a no-holds barred autobiography.

Phillips shares many unknown dressing room tales in his new book ‘ Half Truths ’, detailing the highs and lows of being a top international player.

Here, in the first of three days of must-read extracts on Wales Online, fans’ favourite Phillips candidly reveals how he badly fell out with Warren Gatland, despite the two men achieving so much together in the early days.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... r-21868486
Here are some of the ‘juicy’ bits from Part one of the three part exclusives from the Fail.

The morning after a comfortable Irish victory over Wales in 2014
  • Anyway, the morning after the Ireland game I was a bit worse for wear. I saw Gethin on a laptop in the team room and I said to him: “What are you looking at there Geth, all the penalties you gave away yesterday is it?”

Apparently it was too early for jokes. He was not best pleased and got up in my face: “Right. Outside. Now.”
  • The coaches made a bigger deal out of it though. Gats didn’t like it. Keep in mind this was the same guy who let Gav (Henson) leave a World Cup training camp to film his own reality TV show but now he wanted to make a fuss about this? He was believing his own hype by this point
The deteriorating relationship between Mike and the coaches towards the end of his international career
  • All they did was give me the silent treatment. I’d seen them do this before. It happened with Martyn Williams, Stephen Jones and Dwayne Peel. Gats was pretty blunt with all of them when it came to the end and we were about to witness the treatment they dished out to Adam Jones.
  • One thing that really annoyed me was the way they treated Adam Jones. For me, he was the best player in our team at times and I don’t think we’d have won the tournaments we did without him. He was vastly underrated.
  • the only time the coaches really spoke to me was to pick holes in my game. The communication had completely stopped. I didn’t feel like they even wanted me around.
  • I could sense something was up because of the cold shoulder treatment I was getting. All the coaches were in this meeting and Rob hits me with: “We don’t think you’re the same player you were before you went to France, we think your form has gone.”

My response was simple: “How do you work that out? I’ve won a Grand Slam, a Six Nations title and a Lions Test series since I moved to France.”

There was no comeback to that one. I might have won that little tussle but I knew they were about to get rid of me.
Being denied the chance to meet Tom Jones during the 2015 RWC
  • Before the second group match against England, Tom Jones – the legendary Welsh singer – came into the team hotel to present the players with their jerseys. I wasn’t involved in the matchday 23 but I was still excited to get the opportunity to meet Tom Jones!

Me and a few of the other boys who were not picked made our way over to the room only to be confronted by Thumper at the door: “Sorry boys, matchday squad only.” They wouldn’t let us in.

They would spout all this stuff about togetherness in the press when, in reality, this is what was going on.

I was shocked. It felt a bit petty and unnecessary. It also made no sense whatsoever. I was experienced enough by now to just brush it off but I can’t believe the coaches didn’t consider the psychology of it.
Jeff the Bear

Re: Mike Phillips: ‘Half Truths’ - the exclusives!

Post by Jeff the Bear »

How wonderfully petty! :lol:
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Went to the wail and read that. Excellent read
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Just in case anyone didn’t understand what a complete dick he was :lol:
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

In the game against Scotland, he made a couple of wrong decisions with regards to the game plan. We were playing very structured rugby – as we did for the majority of Gatland’s reign – and if the scrum-half goes the wrong way once, then it can throw the whole thing off.
Good to see Mikey has, once and for all, given proof that having rucks in the wrong place with a Gatland gameplan is very much an issue.

Cheers Mike. :thumbup:

LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

One of the worst books i have ever read was Graham Henry's The Great Redeemer. He said nothing, absolutely no story whatsoever.

Spikey has at least given us some good insights.

Howley and Gatland relationship was not great for example.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:05 pm How wonderfully petty! :lol:
I'm sure it's more than these stories, but it is interesting to get the behind the scenes going on's as long as they are true.

I mean that's what we want from memories isn't it? Not some bland ghost written recap of nothing for 200 pages.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:59 pm
In the game against Scotland, he made a couple of wrong decisions with regards to the game plan. We were playing very structured rugby – as we did for the majority of Gatland’s reign – and if the scrum-half goes the wrong way once, then it can throw the whole thing off.
Good to see Mikey has, once and for all, given proof that having rucks in the wrong place with a Gatland gameplan is very much an issue.

Cheers Mike. :thumbup:

Spikey is the Guv'nor. His retort to that One Direction nobody was class
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

My response was simple: “How do you work that out? I’ve won a Grand Slam, a Six Nations title and a Lions Test series since I moved to France.”
He was diabolical in this series! :lol:
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

His retort to that One Direction nobody was class
What was that?
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Nolanator wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:39 am
He was diabolical in this series! :lol:
Seems obvious he wasn't prepared to take any shit about being off form. He knew better than Gatland and the coaching team.
penguin

Post by penguin »

fatcat wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:16 am
His retort to that One Direction nobody was class
What was that?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sou ... s-26118744

The gist was that Horan was giving Phillips some stick on twitter to which Phillips replied
"Come down to training in the week big boy. And bring the rest of the Beatles with you."
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

:thumbup: