2022 Super Rugby Pacific

All things Rugby
towny

Re: 2022 Super Rugby Pacific

Post by towny »

mrbrownstone wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:00 am
WoodlandsRFC wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:52 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:30 am
Female players will be paid for their participation in the inaugural Super Rugby Aupiki in 2022.

On Wednesday, New Zealand Rugby (NZR) confirmed a new elite four-team women's Super Rugby for next year, running for four weeks in March.

Three of the four teams will be aligned to the three North Island Super Rugby franchises – the Blues, Chiefs and Hurricanes – and the South Island team will be based in Christchurch in partnership with the Crusaders and Highlanders.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/women-in- ... ompetition
Great news this :thumbup:

My only qualm is that back-to-back-to-back-to-back FPC champions (with another final this weekend) Canterbury weren't deemed worthy of their own franchise, but rather the combined South Island team. Otherwise this is a big step in the right direction.
There's just no standard of women's rugby in Southland for there to be an Otago based team, it makes sense, women's rugby is hugely popular down there, so it'll be good to see some of the local talent that represents our 7s and 15s teams given an avenue to continue rugby through out the year at a professional standard.
Yeah, I fully understand the rationale. But if you're trying to build enthusiasm, interest, and fanfare for a new competition, I'm not entirely convinced a combined South Island team is the way to do it. I know I'd far sooner support a Crusaders' women's team than a combined South Island team.

It sounds harsh, but if women's rugby in the south isn't up to the standard to support a franchise, then cut them out entirely, at least until the competition is ready to expand. The top players will still be picked up by the new squads anyway.
Good post.

Teams need to be build around ‘communities’. People follow sports teams because we have a need to belong - this is why the NRC never worked. No one in QLD Country considers themselves part of that disperse thing - there’s no community to belong to. The people belong to Toowoomba, Darling Downs, ‘Townsville’ or ‘North Queensland’, etc.

Having said that, don’t South Islanders hate the North?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Ere Enari has left the Crusaders and has signed with Moana Pasifika. He's actually in career best form for Hawkes Bay, and is a good signing for them. I wonder if the can sign Lincoln McClutchie at 10? He'd be a decent signing as well.

The NZ Super Rugby teams are on notice, if you have decent young PI or Maori player in your squad who isn't likely to get much gametime, Moana Pasifika will pounce.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:11 am Ere Enari has left the Crusaders and has signed with Moana Pasifika. He's actually in career best form for Hawkes Bay, and is a good signing for them. I wonder if the can sign Lincoln McClutchie at 10? He'd be a decent signing as well.

The NZ Super Rugby teams are on notice, if you have decent young PI or Maori player in your squad who isn't likely to get much gametime, Moana Pasifika will pounce.
Sekope Kepu signed as well. Probably a good signing to bring experience to a (likely) young squad.

On Enari, I always thought he was talented, but never found his feet for the Crusaders or Canterbury. He's gone from strength to strength at HB, so hopefully can continue that form and craft a formidable partnership with Lealiifano.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

mrbrownstone wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:41 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:11 am Ere Enari has left the Crusaders and has signed with Moana Pasifika. He's actually in career best form for Hawkes Bay, and is a good signing for them. I wonder if the can sign Lincoln McClutchie at 10? He'd be a decent signing as well.

Sekope Kepu signed as well. Probably a good signing to bring experience to a (likely) young squad.

On Enari, I always thought he was talented, but never found his feet for the Crusaders or Canterbury. He's gone from strength to strength at HB, so hopefully can continue that form and craft a formidable partnership with Lealiifano.
Just on the quiet, because I'm pretty sure no-one else has noticed...

Hawkes Bay are the shit. They are a powerhouse unit right now. They deserve to be associated with a decent Super Rugby franchise.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Prescient. He's just been announced as another signing.

I think that's a really good call for MP, and a few NZ teams will come to regret not snapping him up when they had the chance.

Purely baseless speculation, but Marino Mikaele-Tu'u would also be a good signing. Samoan heritage, not a guaranteed starter at the Clan, keeps up the Hawkes Bay connection, would have an established relationship with Mauger from his time at the Highlanders, and played the one-off match for MP against the MABs last year.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

guy smiley wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:11 pm

Hawkes Bay are the shit. They are a powerhouse unit right now. They deserve to be associated with a decent Super Rugby franchise.
Yeah they're playing some really exciting rugby. Look like favourites to take out the Premiership for mine.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

mrbrownstone wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:34 am

Prescient. He's just been announced as another signing.

I think that's a really good call for MP, and a few NZ teams will come to regret not snapping him up when they had the chance.

Purely baseless speculation, but Marino Mikaele-Tu'u would also be a good signing. Samoan heritage, not a guaranteed starter at the Clan, keeps up the Hawkes Bay connection, would have an established relationship with Mauger from his time at the Highlanders, and played the one-off match for MP against the MABs last year.
MMT is still signed with the Highlanders, and bar injury is pretty much a guaranteed starter these days. The Highlanders are usually the Super team with the most Magpies but looks like MP will take that title this year.

Apparently, the Crusaders were sniffing around McClutchie as a back up in recent weeks but Moana Pacific had already signed him.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

mrbrownstone wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:35 am

Yeah they're playing some really exciting rugby. Look like favourites to take out the Premiership for mine.
I fear our second half collapses will be the ruin of us. Plus if we win NZR will pretend there was no competition this year and there will be a blank page on the Rugby Almanack. :lol:
WoodlandsRFC

Post by WoodlandsRFC »

UncleFB wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:09 am

I fear our second half collapses will be the ruin of us. Plus if we win NZR will pretend there was no competition this year and there will be a blank page on the Rugby Almanack. :lol:
I've got my asterisk ready for sure.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

WoodlandsRFC wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:19 am

I've got my asterisk ready for sure.
At least we wont have to face Southland in a home final in sub antarctic weather conditions after topping the table and beating them by 40 points in the hot Bay sun two weeks previously. ;)
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Hawke’s Bay’s Lincoln McClutchie is the latest signing for MP.

The Hawkes Bay halfback-first/five combo is now the MP combo.

Updated Team List

80% Group: (eligibility)
Neria Fomai (Samoa)
Tomasi Alosio (Samoa)
Henry Taefu (Samoa)
Sione Tuipulotu (Tonga)
Solomone Funaki (Tonga)
Ereatara Enari (NZ/Samoa)

20% Group:
Sekope Kepu (Aus)
Christian Lealiifano (Aus)
Lincoln McClutchie (NZ)
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

:x

Almanac has no 'k'.

Anorak has no 'c'.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:46 am

:x

Almanac has no 'k'.

Anorak has no 'c'.
Opps, apologies.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Auckman wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:56 am Hawke’s Bay’s Lincoln McClutchie is the latest signing for MP.

Updated Team List

Neria Fomai (Samoa)
Tomasi Alosio (Samoa)
Henry Taefu (Samoa)
Sione Tuipulotu (Tonga)
Solomone Funaki (Tonga)

20% Group:
Sekope Kepu (Aus)
Lincoln McClutchie (NZ)
Isn't he in the 80% group until he gets selected for the ABs? Or does him turning down Samoa at some stage put him in the 20% group?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

UncleFB wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:04 am
Opps
:x :x
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Auckman wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:56 am Hawke’s Bay’s Lincoln McClutchie is the latest signing for MP.

Updated Team List

Neria Fomai (Samoa)
Tomasi Alosio (Samoa)
Henry Taefu (Samoa)
Sione Tuipulotu (Tonga)
Solomone Funaki (Tonga)

20% Group:
Sekope Kepu (Aus)
Lincoln McClutchie (NZ)
So where do you anticipate Lealiifano will play?
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:09 am
UncleFB wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:04 am
Opps
:x :x
:lol: :lol: 8)
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Zakar wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:08 am

Updated Team List

Neria Fomai (Samoa)
Tomasi Alosio (Samoa)
Henry Taefu (Samoa)
Sione Tuipulotu (Tonga)
Solomone Funaki (Tonga)

20% Group:
Sekope Kepu (Aus)
Lincoln McClutchie (NZ)
So where do you anticipate Lealiifano will play?
First-five off the bench
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

UncleFB wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:05 am Isn't he in the 80% group until he gets selected for the ABs? Or does him turning down Samoa at some stage put him in the 20% group?
Not sure where he goes so I put him in both groups. I guess whichever nation comes knocking first will have the answer on where he wants to play.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Read yesterday that Isileli Tuungafasi has left the Crusaders and signed for Moana Pasifika.

Starting to build quite a team
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Signing news for the Blues grabbing Anton Segner from the Mako's
Defending Super Rugby Trans-Tasman champions, the Blues have retained four key players and signed Makos flanker Anton Segner for the 2022 season.
Northland forwards Josh Goodhue and Tom Robinson, and five-eighths Harry Plummer from Auckland and Stephen Perofeta from Taranaki have extended their contracts.

Goodhue and Perofeta have signed for next season, while Robinson and Plummer have signed until 2023.

Segner, from Germany, has been in New Zealand since 2017 when he took up a school exchange position at Nelson College. He captained the school, the Crusaders Under-20s and has been a New Zealand Schools' and Under-20 representative.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Poaching from Germany! You guys really know no bounds. Which Tier 3 nation will you steal players from next? Lesotho?
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:50 pm Poaching from Germany! You guys really know no bounds. Which Tier 3 nation will you steal players from next? Lesotho?
If they're good enough, they're tiered enough!
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Segner is a good signing for the Blues. A lot of potential.

Guten tag Herr Segner!!
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:50 pm Poaching from Germany! You guys really know no bounds. Which Tier 3 nation will you steal players from next? Lesotho?
Hell mate, we saw how well Aus were doing poaching Papua New Guinea's best player, and though we better get on bandwagon!! :lol:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Dan54. wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:28 am
Hell mate, we saw how well Aus were doing poaching Papua New Guinea's best player, and though we better get on bandwagon!! :lol:
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Pretty sure the Reds have another PNGian player too :lol:
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Zakar wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:01 am
Pretty sure the Reds have another PNGian player too :lol:
D
Shit have they?? Christ no wonder I had to leave!! :lol:
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

I've been searching fruitlessly for a confirmed draw for this comp. NZR said a draw would follow within "weeks" at the end of August.

8 weeks later and still nothing, considering it kicks off on 18th February I hope we see a draw soonish.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Grandpa wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:21 pm
ahem....

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all ... acks-dream

:o
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

guy smiley wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:36 am
ahem....

Poach by stealth...
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

JPNZ wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:02 pm I've been searching fruitlessly for a confirmed draw for this comp. NZR said a draw would follow within "weeks" at the end of August.

8 weeks later and still nothing, considering it kicks off on 18th February I hope we see a draw soonish.
Same.

The Drua flew out yesterday to where they'll be based in Australia.
WoodlandsRFC

Post by WoodlandsRFC »

Grandpa wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:48 am
guy smiley wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:36 am
ahem....

Poach by stealth...
The upside of being number one :smug:
PUMITA

Post by PUMITA »

And a couple of Dutch kids as well. Stan van den Hoven and Fabian Holland. Both locks which is hardly a surprise considering they are Dutch. I think Rugby Nederland sent them over to NZ on scholarships to get better and improve the Dutch national side not to have them poached by the All Blacks.

Do NZ have to do this ? And not just them. Other tier one nations ? It's just impeding the development of other countries. Holland have a great programme going as compared to Canada. A surge in junior clubs and numbers, a TV deal in place, this scholarship programme (not so sure about it now) and to be fair they have several Kiwi coaches in Holland including the head coach of the national side.

I hope these SR franchises are a step for PI rugby to make it to the next level and put them on a par with the T1 nations. Instead of players disappearing off the islands and turning out for T1 teams as the players seek to support their families.

If the islands had a top class infrastructure and healthy economies they would be powers now. I hope for all the joy and colour they bring to the global stage this move really benefits them and not certain neighbours looking at their best youngsters.
towny

Post by towny »

PUMITA wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:06 pm
And a couple of Dutch kids as well. Stan van den Hoven and Fabian Holland. Both locks which is hardly a surprise considering they are Dutch. I think Rugby Nederland sent them over to NZ on scholarships to get better and improve the Dutch national side not to have them poached by the All Blacks.

Do NZ have to do this ? And not just them. Other tier one nations ? It's just impeding the development of other countries. Holland have a great programme going as compared to Canada. A surge in junior clubs and numbers, a TV deal in place, this scholarship programme (not so sure about it now) and to be fair they have several Kiwi coaches in Holland including the head coach of the national side.

I hope these SR franchises are a step for PI rugby to make it to the next level and put them on a par with the T1 nations. Instead of players disappearing off the islands and turning out for T1 teams as the players seek to support their families.

If the islands had a top class infrastructure and healthy economies they would be powers now. I hope for all the joy and colour they bring to the global stage this move really benefits them and not certain neighbours looking at their best youngsters.
Most of the PI players in Australia and NZ didn’t move for sport. They came as children or were born in their new country. Most of the full strength Tongan and Samoan teams were born in New Zealand. The idea that kiwi and Australian Soup teams are actively poaching the PIs for talent is laughable.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

towny wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:12 pm

Most of the PI players in Australia and NZ didn’t move for sport. They came as children or were born in their new country. Most of the full strength Tongan and Samoan teams were born in New Zealand. The idea that kiwi and Australian Soup teams are actively poaching the PIs for talent is laughable.

Maybe I should have added some sort of snappy title to attract more attention to it but just before Pumita's post I posted a link to a story about Fabian Holland, the Dutch lock who grew up dreaming of playing for the All Blacks and moved to NZ for an initial 6 month stint only to make good and get a contract with the Highlanders.
towny

Post by towny »

guy smiley wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:08 pm

Maybe I should have added some sort of snappy title to attract more attention to it but just before Pumita's post I posted a link to a story about Fabian Holland, the Dutch lock who grew up dreaming of playing for the All Blacks and moved to NZ for an initial 6 month stint only to make good and get a contract with the Highlanders.

Shirley it would have been better for everyone if NZ had told the kid to piss off back to Holland and focus on representing his own country in 9th tier rugby comps against Lichtenstein and Vatican City.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

It is truly one of rugby's great tragedies that this may not come to pass.
grievous

Post by grievous »

towny wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:51 am
guy smiley wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:08 pm

Shirley it would have been better for everyone if NZ had told the kid to piss off back to Holland and focus on representing his own country in 9th tier rugby comps against Lichtenstein and Vatican City.
Actually Holland have just moved up to 6Nations B comp, went down to Russia last night but living in Europe and having your finger on the pulse rugby wise you would know this.
Would they like these players back now, fvck yeah.