International travel thread

All things Rugby
You can call me Bill

International travel thread

Post by You can call me Bill »

Does one of these already exist ?

Might be particularly useful at the moment, with borders starting to open up.

I see that Cambodia for example have announced today the return of the tourist visa, and Thailand are expected to get rid of their certificate of entry requirement at the start of November.

I know there's Tripadvisor, but just a thought to add this on here.
iarmhiman

Re: International travel thread

Post by iarmhiman »

I had one but there are never too many vaction or travel threads.

All about 11th November for me and USA opening up.

Will go there St Patricks week in March.

Would love to get back to Tasmania but that's now looking like 2023.

It's India or China for 3 weeks next October
Dozy

Post by Dozy »

iarmhiman wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:02 pm I had one but there are never too many vaction or travel threads.

Stick to India ...I see zero reason why China would want someone with such a poisonous attitudes to its people's there
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Dozy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:19 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:02 pm I had one but there are never too many vaction or travel threads.

Stick to India ...I see zero reason why China would want someone with such a poisonous attitudes to its people's there
India is cheaper and want to get it off my list. Try not to ruin this thread with personal attacks
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Heading to Greece in Friday. Athens and Crete. Can't wait.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Nolanator wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:52 pm Heading to Greece in Friday. Athens and Crete. Can't wait.
Crete is feckin amazing, you Jammy bastard. Used to go there early 90’s as had family friends there , all the woman got their bangers out on the beach back in dem days :smug:
My teenage general drilled for oil plenty of times on the beach.

Crete also has awesome people , food, and history, and is pleasant in late sept for the weather (never been there in Oct, hope it’s not all closed for you then , Poindexter)
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

backrow wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:01 pm
Nolanator wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:52 pm Heading to Greece in Friday. Athens and Crete. Can't wait.
Crete is feckin amazing, you Jammy bastard. Used to go there early 90’s as had family friends there , all the woman got their bangers out on the beach back in dem days :smug:

Crete also has awesome people , food, and history, and is pleasant in late sept for the weather (never been there in Oct, hope it’s not all closed for you then , Poindexter)
Tits are amazing. :thumbup:
First time in a sunny place with the missus, which will be class.
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Nolanator wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:25 pm

Did you never go visit her in Prague?
backrow

Post by backrow »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:33 pm

*popcorn gif*
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Nols..

Did you go on that stag yet?

The one with the two women friends attending it? :|
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

iarmhiman wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:39 pm Nols..

Don't mean to interject but :lol: :lol: :lol:
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:24 pm

I know. He got a good kicking on the Nama thread about it
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

iarmhiman wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:28 pm

Went and had a look now, some great comments. :lol:

Christ, modern life is depressing. To think some people on the "when would you want to be reborn" thread actually said "now"...
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

As for the thread, went to Portugal about a month and a half ago, covid rules were a bit of a pain but the Algarve is always lovely; this is Carvoeiro:

The boat tours down there through the caves are cool too, they'll take you into stuff like this.

Portugal is kinda "discount Europe", in both the good and bad sense, but it's cool.
grievous

Post by grievous »

A South Pacific country in April I think, low crowds, they basically havent had covid other than Fiji.
Not keen on Asian any time soon they all seem to be rushing the open borders, Singapore is most trusted and they already have had to put back on restrictions.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

grievous wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:58 am A South Pacific country in April I think, low crowds, they basically havent had covid other than Fiji.
Not keen on Asian any time soon they all seem to be rushing the open borders, Singapore is most trusted and they already have had to put back on restrictions.
I like New Caledonia out of the pacific islands I've visited (Fiji, Samoa, Raro). Wonder when that opens?

Edit: borders closed till 31/12 apparently
You can call me Bill

fonzeee wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:14 am As for the thread, went to Portugal about a month and a half ago, covid rules were a bit of a pain but the Algarve is always lovely; this is Carvoeiro:

The boat tours down there through the caves are cool too, they'll take you into stuff like this.

Portugal is kinda "discount Europe", in both the good and bad sense, but it's cool.
I was in Carvoeiro last week. Some cracking beaches round there. Praia do Carvalho's my favourite.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

backrow wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:36 pm

*popcorn gif*
:lol:
Different one, URH.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

fonzeee wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:50 am
iarmhiman wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:28 pm

Went and had a look now, some great comments. :lol:

Christ, modern life is depressing. To think some people on the "when would you want to be reborn" thread actually said "now"...
It's not my stag! I knew it would get some good reactions
And no, still a few weeks away.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Come to Australia. Please.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Nolanator wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:35 am
backrow wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:36 pm

*popcorn gif*
Different one, URH.
Just be careful if she goes for any diving lessons with Spiros

Stirring all that Prague porridge x(
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Looking to bring herself away for a city break around the end of January as part of my annual effort to win brownie points before the 6N starts . We’ve done most of the popular touristy cities tbh but haven’t been to Munich or Madrid and they came up
I’m discussion. Anybody with experience of either around that time of year . Another option is Biarritz, maybe take a drive across the border through San Sebastián and the Spanish Basque area . Would that work in late Jan?
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Conspicuous wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:51 pm Looking to bring herself away for a city break around the end of January as part of my annual effort to win brownie points before the 6N starts . We’ve done most of the popular touristy cities tbh but haven’t been to Munich or Madrid and they came up
I’m discussion. Anybody with experience of either around that time of year . Another option is Biarritz, maybe take a drive across the border through San Sebastián and the Spanish Basque area . Would that work in late Jan?
It rains a surprising amount in the Basque area at that time of year. Also gets a lot of mist.
Beautiful area but you might not get to see a lot of it.
Tony Blair's Therapist

Post by Tony Blair's Therapist »

Conspicuous wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:51 pm Looking to bring herself away for a city break around the end of January as part of my annual effort to win brownie points before the 6N starts . We’ve done most of the popular touristy cities tbh but haven’t been to Munich or Madrid and they came up
Wouldn't recommend Madrid in January at all. Cold - often English-type winter weather, even occasional foggy mornings etc. Could be rainy. Madrid at its absolute worst.

The Basque country would be even worse. 80% likely to be p*ssing down with rain the entire trip.
You can call me Bill

Warm:
Lisbon
Sevilla
Malaga
Athens

Cold:
Lyon
Kyev (very cold but awesome)
Warsaw
Reykjavik
Last edited by You can call me Bill on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can call me Bill

Thailand have confirmed reduction of quarantine to 1 day for most western countries from 1 November, and only 1 PCR test (on arrival).
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

PSA: don't go to Crete in October in search of sun. :(

Athens is lovely and pleasant. Crete was like the West of Ireland.

She has 2 weeks off in April over Easter. We're already shaping plans to get some guaranteed sun. :lol:
Suggestions? I'm very keen to go places I haven't previously been, but sun trumps that.
You can call me Bill

Nolanator wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:52 am PSA: don't go to Crete in October in search of sun. :(

She has 2 weeks off in April over Easter. We're already shaping plans to get some guaranteed sun. :lol:
Suggestions? I'm very keen to go places I haven't previously been, but sun trumps that.
April is prime Sharm El Sheikh territory.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

You can call me Bill wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:04 am
Nolanator wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:52 am PSA: don't go to Crete in October in search of sun. :(

April is prime Sharm El Sheikh territory.
Marrakesh is another option although it wouldn’t be quite as warm , mid-high 20’s when we visited in April some years ago
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Sharm is what I had in mind. Ticks the "new country" box as well.

Bit of a ballache to get to, though. Suppose we could do a few days of tourism stuff in Cairo too.
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

Tony Blair's Therapist wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:08 pm
Wouldn't recommend Madrid in January at all. Cold - often English-type winter weather, even occasional foggy mornings etc. Could be rainy. Madrid at its absolute worst.

The Basque country would be even worse. 80% likely to be p*ssing down with rain the entire trip.
Seconded. You're a bit more likely to have joy travelling on the other sea coast over the Pyrenees towards Figueres, Roses, Girona and beyond but that time of year is a lottery.

Aside from the obligatory Canaries it's Madeira and possibly Malta for no nasties.

If it's city or bust then I'd be checking out Porto, Bologna or somewhere around Puglia/Sicily area.
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

lemonhead wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:46 am
Tony Blair's Therapist wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:08 pm

Seconded. You're a bit more likely to have joy travelling on the other sea coast over the Pyrenees towards Figueres, Roses, Girona and beyond but that time of year is a lottery.

Aside from the obligatory Canaries it's Madeira and possibly Malta for no nasties.

If it's city or bust then I'd be checking out Porto, Bologna or somewhere around Puglia/Sicily area.
Thanks for all the replies . Yeah it’s really a 3 night city break we’re looking for on this occasion . Porto and Bologna are great shouts :thumbup:
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

Good time to get out of dodge. Spotted by locals does a Porto city guide, also a decent one knocking about on the Grauniad site for Bologna.

Had thought of hiring a car for day trips until I realised train travel to every city nearby, Florence, Padua etc. is done in about half the time.
You can call me Bill

Thinking of spending December and January in Brazil. Idea's growing on me. Currency is super cheap at the moment.