Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

All things Rugby
ticketlessinseattle

Re: Rugby NAMA thread Revisited Rugby

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

CM11 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:01 pm
ticketlessinseattle wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:54 pm
CM11 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:41 pm
ticketlessinseattle wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:27 pm no one is arguing that its tough to plan in a pandemic but what you can do is say.....if we get to this level of infections/ICU/hospitlisations then this is what will happen - at no point did they give the hospitality any framework around which to plan...ffs the Oct 22nd date has been around for how long and yesterday even the government admitted there were "anomalies" and the usual predicable last minute scramble ; the July opening up was an embarrassment - they flagged the July date weeks in advance....and like clockwork Tony comes out from the long grass with his latest modelling and says "down with this sort of thing"....MM doesnt even question Tony and with a full 2 days notice says tough sh1t to hospitality ....then it turns out MM didnt even know what key assumptions were used when he was told how high to jump ; Governing in a pandemic is tough to say the least but to ignore these fcuk up's is delusional
NPHET have largely been ignored since.

Government have to 'consider everything' when NPHET drop their bombs but ultimately they've gone ahead with most of what they said they would.

The last thing the government wanted to do was veer from the plan laid out a few months ago.

As for metrics, are you honestly saying that it would have been better for the hospitality indusrty to know that they'd have to shut if ICU hit a particular number? For how long? Let's say it was 80. We held steady at 70 for ages and had a big jump the other day which might take a week or two to come down if it does. So without any input or context the government shuts them down and waits for it to drop below 80?

The reality is that the government have continued with the guts of the reopening and are encouraging the public to live with the virus. Maybe give them some credit for once.

:uhoh: the above applies to October 2021 not to anything in the previous 18 months ; and are you honestly saying that giving the hospitality industry zero direction of what is informing the opening/not opening decision making is better than giving them any direction ? the real reason they didnt is because they had fcuk all idea themselves what matrices were going to inform their decision making ....because Tony was the decision maker and he sure as fcuk wasn't going to tell MM....he just waited in the long grass, rummaged around for the scary moving stat and bingo !
Except that's not what happened this time around. :roll:
ammmm, read the first sentence....
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

CM11 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:34 am
Nolanator wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:32 am
feckwanker wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:08 amThe ship has sailed I'm afraid. Half the restaurants and bars around the place have zero restrictions. Let's just get on with it. If anything, and I know it won't be, this could be the issues that finally sees a top down reinvent of the HSE ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I laughed to myself even when typing it).
The last few weeks the most "restrictions" I've experienced has been a glgance at the passport to check that they exist and that a different name is on each one. No scanning the QR codes. Pubs letting us sit 10+ at a table etc.

Asking for "social responsibility" and for clubs to enforce anything is absolute nonsese. Can't believe Catherine Martin said that with a straight face yesterday.
And this is the thing. There will and has been huge spread because people are taking the piss and not listening to the government advice but it'll be the government who are blamed for not treating us like children and locking us up for our own good.
No the govt have set it up to balme the unvaxxed, whatever happens they've successfully shifted the "blame". Cases can explode and they can shit the bed worse than spud and we renter lockdown and they blame unvaxxed people even though more than 2/3 of cases will likely be vaxxed.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

We're now at 10% positive swabs. NPHET and HSE ramping it up now.

Going to be serious pressure on government shortly.

At what point will we hear, " act quickly to save Christmas ".

Like i said Groundhog day
CM11

Post by CM11 »

paddyor wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:56 pm
CM11 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:34 am
Nolanator wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:32 am
feckwanker wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:08 amThe ship has sailed I'm afraid. Half the restaurants and bars around the place have zero restrictions. Let's just get on with it. If anything, and I know it won't be, this could be the issues that finally sees a top down reinvent of the HSE ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I laughed to myself even when typing it).
The last few weeks the most "restrictions" I've experienced has been a glgance at the passport to check that they exist and that a different name is on each one. No scanning the QR codes. Pubs letting us sit 10+ at a table etc.

Asking for "social responsibility" and for clubs to enforce anything is absolute nonsese. Can't believe Catherine Martin said that with a straight face yesterday.
And this is the thing. There will and has been huge spread because people are taking the piss and not listening to the government advice but it'll be the government who are blamed for not treating us like children and locking us up for our own good.
No the govt have set it up to balme the unvaxxed, whatever happens they've successfully shifted the "blame". Cases can explode and they can shit the bed worse than spud and we renter lockdown and they blame unvaxxed people even though more than 2/3 of cases will likely be vaxxed.
Doesn't matter how many cases are vaxxed. Hospitalisations is where it's at and that's still weighted towards anti vaxxers and the vulnerable on which the vaccine is ineffective.

But I take your point, currently they've managed to shift the blame.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:46 pm
ticketlessinseattle wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:27 pm no one is arguing that its tough to plan in a pandemic but what you can do is say.....if we get to this level of infections/ICU/hospitlisations then this is what will happen - at no point did they give the hospitality any framework around which to plan...ffs the Oct 22nd date has been around for how long and yesterday even the government admitted there were "anomalies" and the usual predicable last minute scramble ; the July opening up was an embarrassment - they flagged the July date weeks in advance....and like clockwork Tony comes out from the long grass with his latest modelling and says "down with this sort of thing"....MM doesnt even question Tony and with a full 2 days notice says tough sh1t to hospitality ....then it turns out MM didnt even know what key assumptions were used when he was told how high to jump ; Governing in a pandemic is tough to say the least but to ignore these fcuk up's is delusional

Government have to 'consider everything' when NPHET drop their bombs but ultimately they've gone ahead with most of what they said they would.

The last thing the government wanted to do was veer from the plan laid out a few months ago.

As for metrics, are you honestly saying that it would have been better for the hospitality indusrty to know that they'd have to shut if ICU hit a particular number? For how long? Let's say it was 80. We held steady at 70 for ages and had a big jump the other day which might take a week or two to come down if it does. So without any input or context the government shuts them down and waits for it to drop below 80?

The reality is that the government have continued with the guts of the reopening and are encouraging the public to live with the virus. Maybe give them some credit for once.

:uhoh: the above applies to October 2021 not to anything in the previous 18 months ; and are you honestly saying that giving the hospitality industry zero direction of what is informing the opening/not opening decision making is better than giving them any direction ? the real reason they didnt is because they had fcuk all idea themselves what matrices were going to inform their decision making ....because Tony was the decision maker and he sure as fcuk wasn't going to tell MM....he just waited in the long grass, rummaged around for the scary moving stat and bingo !
Did the government bow to NPHET or not this time?
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

CM11 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:15 pm

Not thus far this time. Not sure it will remain that way
ticketlessinseattle

CM11 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:15 pm

They did not, thats my point,,,,,I guess we,ll have to disagree to agree
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

We’re not shutting down the country again because we can’t afford to. And we’re certainly not shutting down for 500,000 odd anti vaxxers
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

I don't know whether to laugh or cry ?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/1022/1255456-soup-runs/
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

camroc1 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:48 pm I don't know whether to laugh or cry ?

It's clever really.

Soup runs do more harm than good, but shutting them dowm would be politically dangerous.

This doesn't shut them down, it just creates bureaucratic barriers that shut them down.
Foot Up

Post by Foot Up »

anonymous_joe wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:20 pm

It's clever really.

Soup runs do more harm than good, but shutting them dowm would be politically dangerous.

This doesn't shut them down, it just creates bureaucratic barriers that shut them down.
How so?
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Foot Up wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:09 pm

It's clever really.

How so?
More money for drugs and booze, congregates all the unfortunates in one place and mayhem inevitably follows. Had the same issue in Galway a few years ago, they got shut down and - hey presto - the problems went away.
Foot Up

Post by Foot Up »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:18 pm

It's clever really.

How so?
More money for drugs and booze, congregates all the unfortunates in one place and mayhem inevitably follows. Had the same issue in Galway a few years ago, they got shut down and - hey presto - the problems went away.
Interesting. It can be a hard world to do good in
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

It's clever really.

How so?
In addition to what Gavin Duffy pointed out, many professional groups use food to entice people to engage with them.

Get the hungry addict in and you can attempt to deal with the consequences of addiction with food as a "Trojan horse."
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

And finally, there are reports of homeless hoarding sandwiches (like 20 or so) which attract rats into the tents they pitch beside the canals. They do the rounds collecting 2 or 3 sambos from each of the groups.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Some juicy shit in Richard Chamber’s new book on NPHET and the management of the pandemic. Some mistruths in it too, particularly the claim that Varadkar personally attacked Tony on Claire Byrne live. He did nothing of the sort. Richard Chambers is married to Louise O’Neill.
Gauss

Post by Gauss »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:45 pm Some juicy shit in Richard Chamber’s new book on NPHET and the management of the pandemic. Some mistruths in it too, particularly the claim that Varadkar personally attacked Tony on Claire Byrne live. He did nothing of the sort. Richard Chambers is married to Louise O’Neill.
I’m not sure I’d be too hopeful of an objective view of the government’s performance in a book by Richard Chambers alright :lol:
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

It will be impossible to police, so won't be. Much better to ensure strict compliance with vaccination certs/id, which clubs are set up to do already through bouncers, than to play lets pretend.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Gauss wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:35 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:45 pm Some juicy shit in Richard Chamber’s new book on NPHET and the management of the pandemic. Some mistruths in it too, particularly the claim that Varadkar personally attacked Tony on Claire Byrne live. He did nothing of the sort. Richard Chambers is married to Louise O’Neill.
I’m not sure I’d be too hopeful of an objective view of the government’s performance in a book by Richard Chambers alright :lol:
If Dick Chambers was a chocolate bar he'd eat himself.
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

I wonder what the bouncers will have to say.
No trainers tonight.
Well we've paid for our tickets, so you'd better let us in, or we'll f'in kill ya.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Got my flu jab last week.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM11 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:36 pm https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ ... -1.4711194

Wonderful.
Not great news and maybe it’s the kick up the arse people need to get the flu vaccine but there’s a chance that covid probably wiped out most of our most frail and vulnerable elderly people over the past 2 years.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Philip Nolan says we are looking at 200 in ICU and over 2000 in hospital. Could be the first time his model has been right I suppose
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:18 am Philip Nolan says we are looking at 200 in ICU and over 2000 in hospital. Could be the first time his model has been right I suppose
Looks like the cabinet have decided to ride it out, though, provided Martin holds his nerve.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/202 ... s-ireland/
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:18 am Philip Nolan says we are looking at 200 in ICU and over 2000 in hospital. Could be the first time his model has been right I suppose
That's cheered me up. Was thinking we might be peaking, that's it confirmed.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM11 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:00 am
They’re saying in the U.K. that it has peaked over there so let’s wait and see. Get your flu vaccines 👍
Blackrock Bullet

CM11 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:00 am
:lol:
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Another crazy settlement without admission of liability for Pandemrix. €1m euro this time. The judge praising the bravery of the family. And we wonder why we have anti vaxxers all over Facebook.
Blackrock Bullet

A week in review of Covid in Ireland.

- Cardinal Holohan is concerned but not concerned enough about germs that he has wiped his glasses down with his mask
- Radio hosts and Irish Twitter superstars anecdotes on getting their Covid certs checked led to a sweeping operation by DoH hall monitors over the weekend
- The Government are adopting antigen testing 6 months later and likely spending a fortune to people like DPD to deliver them
- Nightclubs are getting around the latest Department of Health ideas on beating Covid through tickets by issuing season tickets to revellers
- Michéal Martin is again aghast that people question him on now adopting things he ruled out months ago
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:40 pm A week in review of Covid in Ireland.

- Cardinal Holohan is concerned but not concerned enough about germs that he has wiped his glasses down with his mask
- Radio hosts and Irish Twitter superstars anecdotes on getting their Covid certs checked led to a sweeping operation by DoH hall monitors over the weekend
- The Government are adopting antigen testing 6 months later and likely spending a fortune to people like DPD to deliver them
- Nightclubs are getting around the latest Department of Health ideas on beating Covid through tickets by issuing season tickets to revellers
- Michéal Martin is again aghast that people question him on now adopting things he ruled out months ago
Anyone know if we're still doing "track and trace" especially with regard to in-hospital outbreaks ?
Conor R noted yesterday that of 1320 covid hospital admissions in October, 810 entered for covid reasons, and 510 entered for non-covid reasons.
Blackrock Bullet

I highly doubt there is any monitoring.

Here is MM again acting all offended. Similar to Covid certs (which he had ruled out as not compatible with Civil Liberties) where he was aghast with criticism. They had months for this again but didn’t do a tap until the last minute. He also needs to be reminded with his statement on “dictating the actions of Government” that his government are using extraordinary powers that have deprived people of their ability to earn a living for 20 months.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/1028/12563 ... d-ireland/

There’s an open goal for a party that is actually centre right to come into the market.Just as long as they ditch positions on things like abortion that make them unpalatable for many.
ticketlessinseattle

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:11 pm I highly doubt there is any monitoring.

Here is MM again acting all offended. Similar to Covid certs (which he had ruled out as not compatible with Civil Liberties) where he was aghast with criticism. They had months for this again but didn’t do a tap until the last minute. He also needs to be reminded with his statement on “dictating the actions of Government” that his government are using extraordinary powers that have deprived people of their ability to earn a living for 20 months.

There’s an open goal for a party that is actually centre right to come into the market.Just as long as they ditch positions on things like abortion that make them unpalatable for many.
agreed that there is nothing approaching a centre right party in Ireland or actually just a centrist party but you'd have to wonder outside of this forum how big the market actually is ? re the "treated like dirt" comment - would have loved if someone actually asked MM why 2 days before the Oct 22nd opening day there was still no clear direction provided to nightclub owners as to what the rules were
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

I'm very surprised that it has taken until now to highlight the poor vaccine uptake in immigrant groups from Central and Eastern Europe. Given there are more than 250k people in this category (not including children, many of whom will be Irish citizens) surely Public Health requirements should take precedence over any fears of accusations of bigotry/sectarianism. Or is there any other reason for the delay in publicising the problem, given that they must have known about it for months ?
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:28 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:11 pm I highly doubt there is any monitoring.

agreed that there is nothing approaching a centre right party in Ireland or actually just a centrist party but you'd have to wonder outside of this forum how big the market actually is ? re the "treated like dirt" comment - would have loved if someone actually asked MM why 2 days before the Oct 22nd opening day there was still no clear direction provided to nightclub owners as to what the rules were
The natural constituency of the centre-right is relatively small in Ireland. A reasonably high chunk of our higher earners are often public sector workers who have no real desire for a low-tax economy.
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

anonymous_joe wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:52 am
The natural constituency of the centre-right is relatively small in Ireland. A reasonably high chunk of our higher earners are often public sector workers who have no real desire for a low-tax economy.
Is this really true though?
Isn't our public sector spending small by European standards (in terms of our GNI*)? And if we are paying higher wages, then surely it must be a relatively smaller number of people? And it isn't as if we lack highly paid people in our private sector - look at all the tech, pharma, bio etc - they all pay very high salaries compared to other places. Aircraft leasing doesn't exactly pay peanuts, and last I checked our finance/banking people did ok too. And we know that certain professions (e.g. pharmacy, law, accounting) charge a good bit more than their international counterparts. I would have thought, viewed through the prism of the tax'n'spend, that we would have a naturally bigger constituency than most European countries.
ticketlessinseattle

camroc1 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:40 am I'm very surprised that it has taken until now to highlight the poor vaccine uptake in immigrant groups from Central and Eastern Europe. Given there are more than 250k people in this category (not including children, many of whom will be Irish citizens) surely Public Health requirements should take precedence over any fears of accusations of bigotry/sectarianism. Or is there any other reason for the delay in publicising the problem, given that they must have known about it for months ?
I know I'm the liberally lefty on all things immigrant related but I'd agree that if the data show what the data show and its a significant factor then its simply reporting facts that need to be addressed ; same way as if there is an issue with any demographic - be it age, sex etc
ticketlessinseattle

DeDoc wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:13 am
anonymous_joe wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:52 am
Is this really true though?
Isn't our public sector spending small by European standards (in terms of our GNI*)? And if we are paying higher wages, then surely it must be a relatively smaller number of people? And it isn't as if we lack highly paid people in our private sector - look at all the tech, pharma, bio etc - they all pay very high salaries compared to other places. Aircraft leasing doesn't exactly pay peanuts, and last I checked our finance/banking people did ok too. And we know that certain professions (e.g. pharmacy, law, accounting) charge a good bit more than their international counterparts. I would have thought, viewed through the prism of the tax'n'spend, that we would have a naturally bigger constituency than most European countries.
No
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

And we know that certain professions (e.g. pharmacy, law, accounting) charge a good bit more than their international counterparts.
It’s all merry go round. The cost of running a business in Ireland is really high