New Zealand...fvcked

All things Rugby
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 22402
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Enzedder »

Blenheim would be the best town for it to go to (human wise). Nobody goes anywhere in Blenheim so it should be easily contained.
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 22402
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Enzedder »

Gossip is that there are cases in Chch and Napier.

Cats out of the bag
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 15324
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by UncleFB »

Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:02 am Gossip is that there are cases in Chch and Napier.

Cats out of the bag
Mooloo and Delta arrive at the same time? ;)
User avatar
booji boy
Posts: 10574
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by booji boy »

Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:02 am Gossip is that there are cases in Chch and Napier.

Cats out of the bag
Will the whole country be in level 3 shortly or do we just continue with the regional, isolated lockdowns?
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 22402
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Enzedder »

I think they will try Regional.
Apart from Taranaki... I understand we have a nuke for when they go down
User avatar
Monkey Magic
Posts: 1498
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Monkey Magic »

Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:18 am I think they will try Regional.
Apart from Taranaki... I understand we have a nuke for when they go down
Once we get it into the naki then we'll find the true meaning of a hard border
Knoath
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Knoath »

Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:58 am Blenheim would be the best town for it to go to (human wise). Nobody goes anywhere in Blenheim so it should be easily contained.
Yea back in 80's I was assistant manger of the Cobb & Co there. Truly almost worse than Hamilton and that takes some beating. And yes I have also lived in Hamilton
User avatar
Monkey Magic
Posts: 1498
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Monkey Magic »

Knoath wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:42 am
Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:58 am Blenheim would be the best town for it to go to (human wise). Nobody goes anywhere in Blenheim so it should be easily contained.
Yea back in 80's I was assistant manger of the Cobb & Co there. Truly almost worse than Hamilton and that takes some beating. And yes I have also lived in Hamilton
You've had a hard life
Knoath
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Knoath »

Monkey Magic wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:46 am
Knoath wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:42 am
Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:58 am Blenheim would be the best town for it to go to (human wise). Nobody goes anywhere in Blenheim so it should be easily contained.
Yea back in 80's I was assistant manger of the Cobb & Co there. Truly almost worse than Hamilton and that takes some beating. And yes I have also lived in Hamilton
You've had a hard life

Take into account New Plymouth, Hastings, Christchurch, Auckland, Nelson, Takaka, Brisbane, etc
Knoath
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Knoath »

Knoath wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:07 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:46 am
Knoath wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:42 am
Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:58 am Blenheim would be the best town for it to go to (human wise). Nobody goes anywhere in Blenheim so it should be easily contained.
Yea back in 80's I was assistant manger of the Cobb & Co there. Truly almost worse than Hamilton and that takes some beating. And yes I have also lived in Hamilton
You've had a hard life

Take into account New Plymouth, Hastings, Christchurch, Auckland, Nelson, Takaka, Brisbane, etc
Oh yea forgot to mention my dad was 100% romaney gypsy, so I'm 50%
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 22402
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Enzedder »

So the Chch and Napier rumours are debunked.

80 new cases today - 77 in Akld, 1 in Northland and two in the Waikato. Probably reflects the fewer tests in a holiday weekend which isn't good really
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 20156
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Ted. »

Enzedder wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:17 am So the Chch and Napier rumours are debunked.

80 new cases today - 77 in Akld, 1 in Northland and two in the Waikato. Probably reflects the fewer tests in a holiday weekend which isn't good really
Yeah, expected Waikato's to be similar to previous days, give or take a few. It's disappointing if people still are not taking this seriously enough not to get tested or vaxxed just because it will take time out of their long weekend. That sort of attitude, if it exists, spells disaster.
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 22402
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Enzedder »

And the Otorohanga mayor has just announced that they have 2 cases as well
User avatar
Tehui
Posts: 17090
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Tehui »

Vaccine stats update:

Eligible population, at least 1 dose: 86%
Eligible population, 2 doses: 70%.
User avatar
Monkey Magic
Posts: 1498
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Monkey Magic »

Tehui wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:05 am Vaccine stats update:

Eligible population, at least 1 dose: 86%
Eligible population, 2 doses: 70%.
Manukau DHB 87% first dose, Cobb and Co a long way off
User avatar
Fat Old Git
Posts: 22958
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Fat Old Git »

Was reported to day that people are coming in to be vaccinated who are terrified it will kill them. Misinformation on Facebook tue main culprit apparently.
Eugenius
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Eugenius »

Unbelievable.
User avatar
Fat Old Git
Posts: 22958
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Fat Old Git »

On the plus side, at least they still came in. But there will be many more who won't have worked up the courage I'm sure.

:(
Eugenius
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Eugenius »

It’s tragic !

And will cost lives ultimately.
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 38441
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by guy smiley »

https://www.webworm.co/p/loopy
New Zealand goes Loopy
A summary of Aotearoa's top anti-vax & conspiracy theory nitwits

David Farrier
Peter Mortlock goes Full Beast

City Impact Church’s Peter Mortlock — previously tip-toeing around his relationship with Brian Tamaki — has gone full beast. An Instagram video posted to his personal page two days ago literally opens with him saying: “I was talking to Bishop Brian Tamaki just yesterday after his jail release…”

In that same video, Mortlock went on to say what he thought of the recent ‘traffic light system’ put in place to control lockdown levels. At around eight minutes in, he says this:

“Maybe today’s 10am traffic light announcement will wake up New Zealand. All I could say when I was watching it was “Nazi Germany has arrived in New Zealand”.

Okay. We’ve hit this point. “Nazi Germany has arrived in New Zealand”. If you’ve read my previous pieces of Mortlock and City Impact, I think you can see the quick and clear trajectory Mortlock is on. To be clear: Nazi Germany has not arrived in New Zealand. There is no holocaust here. People are not being put to death in gas chambers.

I felt pretty angry when I watched Mortlock’s message, and fear what I type would basically be a string of expletives about a man incapable of introspection, utterly consumed by his white evangelical beliefs. So I am going to throw to AJ Hendry’s measured piece:

“Under Hitler, Jew’s, who could not change the fact that they were Jews, were singled out, driven into concentration camps, and exterminated. In New Zealand, in this current Covid world, people who don’t get vaccinated will have some restrictions on their lives but will still be able to go to the gym, go to work, get a latte, and post their disdain and disagreement with the government online. They will also have the choice to be vaccinated at any time, thus decreasing the risk of Covid for themselves. When we look at it, the comparisons just don’t add up.

Comparing what is happening to Nazi Germany and contrasting what is going on with the genocide of the Jewish people, and the slavery and segregation of African American whānau in the states, is like comparing apples with an all-terrain vehicle. They aren’t the same thing. In fact, for those who have experienced these forms of oppression, and suffered under these regimes, the comparisons — I can only imagine — are extremely offensive.

For those of us who are pākehā, and also for those of us who identify as Christians, these sorts of comparisons only demonstrate that we have never truly experienced genuine oppression before.”

Dylan Reeve’s piece at The Spinoff talking to anti-vaxxers also found plenty of people referring to “1930s Germany” and “World War 3”. Now Mortlock’s gone down the Nazi Germany route.

And a word Mortlock kept repeating over and over in his rant?

“Freedom”.
Lots more there in a long article... a decent read both amusing and alarming.

I’ve been keeping an eye on this very hilarious group since 2019. It’s run by a guy called Sir John Walsh of Brannagh. As you may expect for the leader of a fictitious Court System, he has a bunch of fake titles, got suspended from the roll of the Supreme Court of Norfolk Island, and has a long history of various legal battles. He also looks like a cast member from What We Do In The Shadows.

Image
Sir John Walsh of Brannagh

At the end of 2020, this group of LARPers — sorry, The International Tribunal for Natural Justice — held a “Commission of Enquiry into the Weaponisation of the Biosphere”. I couldn’t be f**ked watching the whole thing, but gather it was about use of 1080, a poison used to effectively knock back populations of possums, rats and stoats in order to save New Zealand’s native tree and bird life.

Sue Grey has been a particularly giant force in the anti-1080 movement, so knowing her stance on 1080 — as well as her propensity for ignoring reality — I wasn’t entirely unsurprised to see her taking part in an entirely made-up court session run by children masquerading as adults:

“The International Tribunal for Natural Justice is having a Commission of inquiry into ecocide and Sue Grey our lawyer […] have agreed to give testimony on what the NZ government is doing by dropping 1080 poison”

If you like LARPing — this is way better than the lighting bolt guy:
Brabus
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Brabus »

Nutters all, which is a problem because it means the message can be lost. I think that I have made myself clear that I do not think that making second class citizens is a viable way forward, my views are formed with a view to history, and not just the relativly new history espoused by those charlatans. Our reaction to a minority (a minority for whom a portion does not pose a threat) does not need to be overt. Mass public coercion at the behest of the state is fraught with dangers that we need to at least acknowledge. Again I am double vaccinated I encourage all to be so. I will show evidence in the near future to allow me to go about my life but I also acknowledge that those who aren't are not the enemy. It is really concerning just how quickly this world is turning to division once again.
Last edited by Brabus on Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brabus
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Brabus »

Also the people that listen to the likes of Tamaki will only take any persecution as a sign of the end times. Any push back will simply entrench their beliefs, I was once of a similar mindset.
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 20156
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Ted. »

If you look second-class, act second-class and smell-second class, chances are you are second class.

I make no claims and cast no aspersions on those I have not seen, heard nor smelled.
Brabus
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Brabus »

Ted. wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:15 am If you look second-class, act second-class and smell-second class, chances are you are second class.

I make no claims and cast no aspersions on those I have not seen, heard nor smelled.
Savages then
User avatar
Fat Old Git
Posts: 22958
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Fat Old Git »

That is not a reason to give in to those beliefs though. Life is full of restrictions for both our and our communities protection.

I can choose not to be sober, but not while at work or while in charge of a vehicle. Ans there are a host of other public venues that will ask me to leave if I turn up intoxicated.

If I get a notifiable disease I'm required to isolate.

If I have poor eyesight I'm required to use some form of correction if I want to drive. If it's poor enough that correction doesn't meet a certain standard, I'm prohibited from being in charge of a vehicle.

I'm not allowed to practise dentistry on people unless I'm properly qualified.

I'm not allowed to wander into the ladies toilets.

I'm not allowed to drive at 160km/hr through the school yard.

Etc, etc, etc.

We're in the middle of a pandemic that is threatening lives and livelihoods. It's not unreasonable to expect that the consequences of not doing the right thing to protect yourself and your community should fall on those who have chosen to reject the science and the evidence. Not those doing the right thing.
Brabus
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Brabus »

Fat Old Git wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:29 am That is not a reason to give in to those beliefs though. Life is full of restrictions for both our and our communities protection.

I can choose not to be sober, but not while at work or while in charge of a vehicle. Ans there are a host of other public venues that will ask me to leave if I turn up intoxicated.

If I get a notifiable disease I'm required to isolate.

If I have poor eyesight I'm required to use some form of correction if I want to drive. If it's poor enough that correction doesn't meet a certain standard, I'm prohibited from being in charge of a vehicle.

I'm not allowed to practise dentistry on people unless I'm properly qualified.

I'm not allowed to wander into the ladies toilets.

I'm not allowed to drive at 160km/hr through the school yard.

Etc, etc, etc.

We're in the middle of a pandemic that is threatening lives and livelihoods. It's not unreasonable to expect that the consequences of not doing the right thing to protect yourself and your community should fall on those who have chosen to reject the science and the evidence. Not those doing the right thing.
Absolutely, I got myself out of that life, but I still remember how I would have reacted and I can tell you that coercion will only drive people into their belief. To quote some movie some where "the more you tighten your grip the more will slip between your fingers"
Brabus
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Brabus »

Now my quote was from Star war's and I'm embarrassed to have to clarify that
Brabus
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Brabus »

The political class will always latch onto whichever cause best suits their interest
User avatar
jambanja
Posts: 5987
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: The other side of midnight

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by jambanja »

So Brabus, we have been informed that we need to get to 90% vaccinated in order to start easing up on restrictions, how do you suggest we achieve that without a “carrot” and if, because of hesitant people we don’t achieve that number are we to live in limbo for the rest of our lives?
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 22402
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Enzedder »

Brabus wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:53 am The political class will always latch onto whichever cause best suits their interest
What about if the cause that suits their interest is the right way to go? Do you reject it because it comes from a politician (who will have been advised by scientists and doctors)?

How about people look at what's being proposed and why, and then decide rather than look for (specious?) reasons not to.
Brabus
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Brabus »

jambanja wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:54 am So Brabus, we have been informed that we need to get to 90% vaccinated in order to start easing up on restrictions, how do you suggest we achieve that without a “carrot” and if, because of hesitant people we don’t achieve that number are we to live in limbo for the rest of our lives?
The point is not about compliance, It is about human interaction, what exactly are we prepared to sacrifice?
Brabus
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Brabus »

Enzedder wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:03 am
Brabus wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:53 am The political class will always latch onto whichever cause best suits their interest
What about if the cause that suits their interest is the right way to go? Do you reject it because it comes from a politician (who will have been advised by scientists and doctors)?

How about people look at what's being proposed and why, and then decide rather than look for (specious?) reasons not to.
I am very simple in my outlook. I think division is bad,
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 38441
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by guy smiley »

Brabus wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:11 am
Enzedder wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:03 am
Brabus wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:53 am The political class will always latch onto whichever cause best suits their interest
What about if the cause that suits their interest is the right way to go? Do you reject it because it comes from a politician (who will have been advised by scientists and doctors)?

How about people look at what's being proposed and why, and then decide rather than look for (specious?) reasons not to.
I am very simple in my outlook. I think division is bad,
You are being selective in your view of this.

One small group acting on bad advice is threatening to split the country. There is your division.
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 38441
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by guy smiley »

Brabus wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:09 am
jambanja wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:54 am So Brabus, we have been informed that we need to get to 90% vaccinated in order to start easing up on restrictions, how do you suggest we achieve that without a “carrot” and if, because of hesitant people we don’t achieve that number are we to live in limbo for the rest of our lives?
The point is not about compliance, It is about human interaction, what exactly are we prepared to sacrifice?
It's not that simple.

In fact, reading that again as I reply, that's almost an offensive take.

Sacrifice? Talk to me about all of the genuinely health compromised people who are at risk through the refusal to vaccinate of a minority. Those people are at risk of being sacrificed for the selfish wants of the few.
User avatar
True Blue
Posts: 12282
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by True Blue »

NZ hasn't had a death in over two weeks despite the higher case numbers. Vaccination is certainly helping.
User avatar
jambanja
Posts: 5987
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: The other side of midnight

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by jambanja »

True Blue wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:37 am NZ hasn't had a death in over two weeks despite the higher case numbers. Vaccination is certainly helping.
Interestingly the average age of those in hospital because of delta is 42, I’m willing to bet they’ll be unvaccinated
User avatar
jambanja
Posts: 5987
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: The other side of midnight

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by jambanja »

User avatar
Flockwitt
Posts: 7514
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Flockwitt »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:16 am
Brabus wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:09 am
jambanja wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:54 am So Brabus, we have been informed that we need to get to 90% vaccinated in order to start easing up on restrictions, how do you suggest we achieve that without a “carrot” and if, because of hesitant people we don’t achieve that number are we to live in limbo for the rest of our lives?
The point is not about compliance, It is about human interaction, what exactly are we prepared to sacrifice?
It's not that simple.

In fact, reading that again as I reply, that's almost an offensive take.

Sacrifice? Talk to me about all of the genuinely health compromised people who are at risk through the refusal to vaccinate of a minority. Those people are at risk of being sacrificed for the selfish wants of the few.
This. We are getting vaccinated to protect the weak.
User avatar
Tehui
Posts: 17090
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Tehui »

It was pleasing to read that there were 5,300 first doses administered to people yesterday. Every brick in the wall counts.
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 38441
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by guy smiley »

Tehui wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:08 am It was pleasing to read that there were 5,300 first doses administered to people yesterday. Every brick in the wall counts.
While there's been a lot of talk about the lagging numbers, the country has done really well with this. The uptake was constantly high throughout the rollout with vaccine stocks fully utilised.

People will always pick holes in whatever and complacency is a curse, but I think we can afford a bit of a pat on the back and a small East Coast nod.

That's you and me, Tehui. These other clowns are hopeless.
Post Reply