UK farmers feel shafted by NZ FTA & blame Jacinda Ardern!

All things Rugby
bimboman

Re: UK farmers feel shafted by NZ FTA & blame Jacinda Ardern!

Post by bimboman »

merlin the happy pig wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:38 pm
Fat Old Git wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:15 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:01 pm
not_english wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:54 am
DragsterDriver wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:38 am

Any good red wine?
Otago Pinot isn't bad, but I tend to think Aus and Sth Africa do better reds.

See a lot of Peter Yealand and Oyster Bay sauvignon blanc in the shops here.
I’ll give some a whirl- can’t drink white x(
New Zealand has never really been good at producing Reds at the lower end of the price scale. So has never really been competitive with Oz and SA at that end of the market. Probably an economy of scale thing.

But at the mid to High end it tends to compare very well with all 3 countries making some excellent drops. And it's in that price range that NZ often compares well.
It's all about climate.
Our warmest region, Hawkes bay is comparable to Bordeaux. I.E. much cooler than almost all of the Australian regions, which for the most part are hotter than Spain and more akin to North Africa.

It's easy to get huge yields in Aus and make big jammy reds at low cost. Much harder to make something balanced, that you can drink more than a glass without feeling like your taste buds have been assaulted.

Almost all Aussie reds are BIG, the good ones balance the huge apparent sweetness by having a lot of tannins, which allows them to develop more complex flavors over time as well as reducing apparent sweetness when young.

It is of course the sweetness which appeals to the average drinking, which is their prerogative (fvcking heathens)
It’s about “climate” if you ignore the Rhône, burgundy and NW coast America.

I agree Aussie reds are even worse though.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

bimboman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:28 pm
not_english wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:08 am This should be a good deal for NZ, Britain entering the EEC really hurt the economy.

Most of the NZ wine I see in the shops here is already cheaper than you can buy in NZ, so will be good if it goes down even further.
Any good red wine?
Not of note, no.
I had a pretty good pinot noir once, can't remember the name though.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

ChipSpike wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:36 pm
not_english wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:08 am This should be a good deal for NZ, Britain entering the EEC really hurt the economy.

Most of the NZ wine I see in the shops here is already cheaper than you can buy in NZ, so will be good if it goes down even further.
Any good red wine?
Not of note, no.
I had a pretty good pinot noir once, can't remember the name though, I just stick with the sauvignons generally.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

ChipSpike wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:36 pm

Any good red wine?
Not of note, no.
I had a pretty good pinot noir once, can't remember the name though.

Dog point Pinot is good with curry.
towny

Post by towny »

The Oz wine in Britain is an embarrassment. Koonunga Hill and Rawsons Retreat feature prominently in all the little corners of the grocery stores where poms get their booze. I’m not surprised Europeans don’t rate Oz wine - theyre getting shafted with the piss Australians won’t drink.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

towny wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:10 pm The Oz wine in Britain is an embarrassment. Koonunga Hill and Rawsons Retreat feature prominently in all the little corners of the grocery stores where poms get their booze. I’m not surprised Europeans don’t rate Oz wine - theyre getting shafted with the piss Australians won’t drink.
I dunno I quite like a jammy oz red, preferably cab sav. I also like the grenache based ones, like Black Stump. Especially on offer :lol: , which tells you about my wine taste.

edit: I got that wrong, it's durif not grenache. Looks like oz are selling to the right people.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

towny wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:10 pm The Oz wine in Britain is an embarrassment. Koonunga Hill and Rawsons Retreat feature prominently in all the little corners of the grocery stores where poms get their booze. I’m not surprised Europeans don’t rate Oz wine - theyre getting shafted with the piss Australians won’t drink.
The people wh buy their wine from Bargain Booze ask for red, white or pink. They dont care where it comes from as long as it's cheap.
Zico

Post by Zico »

message #2527204 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:18 pm
The people wh buy their wine from Bargain Booze ask for red, white or pink. They dont care where it comes from as long as it's cheap.
You've never tried Goon.
towny

Post by towny »

Don’t most prople in the UK just go to their favourite grocery chain? It’s all the same Oz piss in all of them.
C69

Post by C69 »

towny wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:04 pm
Don’t most prople in the UK just go to their favourite grocery chain? It’s all the same Oz piss in all of them.
I had a decent cheap Oz Shiraz this weekend from Lidl.
Dozy

Post by Dozy »

This woman loves apartheid in NZ. We should tear up this agreement, boycott NZ products and sanction NZ
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Pretty much, they have cornered the 'bottle of wine for a fiver' market for sure.

towny

Post by towny »

C69 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:52 am
I had a decent cheap Oz Shiraz this weekend from Lidl.
I’m suspicious of cheap Shiraz from anywhere. What is cheap?