1874 Cup: USA Eagles vs All Blacks: MATCH THREAD: Sat 23rd Oct

All things Rugby
sorCrer

Re: 1874 Cup: USA Eagles vs All Blacks: MATCH THREAD: Sat 23rd Oct

Post by sorCrer »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:29 pm Perenara is gash. Utter utter gash. His future is in some pavement petition work for ActionStation.
Not a fan but thought he brought a bit of spark...unless I'm being wooshed. :blush:
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

sorCrer wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:36 pm
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:29 pm Perenara is gash. Utter utter gash. His future is in some pavement petition work for ActionStation.
Not a fan but thought he brought a bit of spark...unless I'm being wooshed. :blush:
He tried, of that there's no doubt, but his passing was atrocious. Far too many speculative efforts.
El Flash

Post by El Flash »

Disgusted in the defence by our 2 reserve props.
Both of them missed tackles a 12 yr old could have made. I don’t believe our bench is as good as we think it is
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

Hey USA, that number 15 that rang rings around your lot, McKenzie, yeah, he’s currently unable to crack the starting 15 in NZ. Also, we put up the youngest ever locking combination in All Black history in the second half.

However, that number 9 and that number 13 you have are pretty useful players. You have a bit of talent out there. It would be great to see a couple of your players in our NPC again, and at Super Rugby level too.

We’ll swap you for Ennor, if you like….
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

fonzeee wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:49 pm
mdaclarke wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:28 pm
fonzeee wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:25 pm
mdaclarke wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:22 pm Shows the difficulty that Rugby has in expanding the game, there is such a big gap between the top teams and the rest. In Association Football even mediocre teams can shut up shop and make a competitive game of it. In Rugby that's not possible and mediocre teams just get pumped.
We're not the best of the rest, though. We lost by 20 to Uruguay a few weeks ago.

Frankly, from everything except the commercial standpoint, they deserve to be playing the ABs, not us.

But of course, the commercial standpoint is what decides it.
You guys have qualified for every World Cup except 1995 and beat Scotland recently, you are a Solid Tier 2 side. I classify all Solid Tier 2 sides as "the best of the rest"
Well clearly there are teams in the rest that are markedly better than us, so I don't think we can claim to be the best of the rest.

It flatters us to be put in the same group as the Islanders, Japan, Italy, etc, and I wouldn't call those top teams either. Your paradigm requires more tiers.
Italy are Tier 1 and far ahead of you guys. I think that you could give Japan or the PI teams a good game.
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

fonzeee wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:29 pm Alright, I'm all lubed up, let's do this
Was that for the Gay Men’s Choir?
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Well that was a bit underwhelming. I think most of our NPC teams would tonk the Eagles. I doubt there was much to be gained from the ABs pov apart from having a bit of a training run. Couldn't really even say it was opposed.

Can't really give praise for any of the ABs, they just did what they were supposed to do. Didn't think Ennor was anything special, and not sure how Jordan was MOM.

But at least there are a couple of US guys who will dine out on scoring tries against the ABs for the rest of their lives.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

How on earth was that second USA try awarded? Is there a new rule where half of your body can be in touch, but not three quarters?

It's funny to see the South Island posters bag the shit out of North Island players on here, and vice versa.

Personally I thought it was funny when the USA halfback absolutely did D-Mac like a dog's dinner when scoring his try. :lol: :thumbup:

Overall D-Mac was good though. Unlike TJ who sucks.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

jdogscoop wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:45 pm How on earth was that second USA try awarded? Is there a new rule where half of your body can be in touch, but not three quarters?

It's funny to see the South Island posters bag the shit out of North Island players on here, and vice versa.

Personally I thought it was funny when the USA halfback absolutely did D-Mac like a dog's dinner when scoring his try. :lol: :thumbup:

Overall D-Mac was good though. Unlike TJ who sucks.
Didn't really see him in touch, but there was definitely 3 cracks at getting the ball to the line. I think Gus gave them a sympathy try there. Jordan missed his man though.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

That was a glorified training run. No structure.

I thought Mo'unga, Ennor, Jordan and Bridge were all excellent. And Barrett, Perenara, Cane and Lomax were poor. Bower also looked good when he came on.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:41 am That was a glorified training run. No structure.

I thought Mo'unga, Ennor, Jordan and Bridge were all excellent. And Barrett, Perenara, Cane and Lomax were poor. Bower also looked good when he came on.
Need a bit more burley Ali.

Coles was a bit headless chicken too.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

obelixtim wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:49 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:41 am That was a glorified training run. No structure.

Coles looked like an eager Dad in the pre-season Fathers Vs Sons match.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

I thought Mo'unga, Ennor, Jordan and Bridge were all excellent.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Good to hear the Cant boys fronted up in a big match for once.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

obelixtim wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:49 am

The Ioane brothers were invisible too.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Well... I didn't expect much of a context, especially after the USA lost to Uruguay, but this was men against boys out there.

Nice day though, but I struggled with the fans moving up and down the stairs, to buy hamburgers and drinks while the game was actually being played... as if it were baseball out there.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

TheFrog wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:03 am Well... I didn't expect much of a context, especially after the USA lost to Uruguay, but this was men against boys out there.

Nice day though, but I struggled with the fans moving up and down the stairs, to buy hamburgers and drinks while the game was actually being played... as if it were baseball out there.
Is that pretty common in the states though when you go tova ground, can imagine NFL, and as you mention, baseball create the expected behavior at a stadium.

For the all blacks, think a few guys got carried away and were aging a bit too loose - TJ, Vaai and Dmac. But great to play tier 2 teams, Uruguay at home could be interesting
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

I must admit I only remember Bridge touching the ball once. All in all, it was hard to be poor in that match.. though TJP managed it...

And the more I see Vaa'i play, the more he looks like he should be a six...
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

TheFrog wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:03 am Well... I didn't expect much of a context, especially after the USA lost to Uruguay, but this was men against boys out there.

Stay away from AAMI Park when the Rebels are playing then. I will piss you right off.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

obelixtim wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:36 pm Well that was a bit underwhelming. I think most of our NPC teams would tonk the Eagles. I doubt there was much to be gained from the ABs pov apart from having a bit of a training run. Couldn't really even say it was opposed.

Can't really give praise for any of the ABs, they just did what they were supposed to do. Didn't think Ennor was anything special, and not sure how Jordan was MOM.

But at least there are a couple of US guys who will dine out on scoring tries against the ABs for the rest of their lives.
It’s all about exposing the brand to the US, whatever that may garner. But I couldn’t help but think while watching they’d be safer and get a far better game by staying at home and playing Hawkes Bay.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

By way of glorified training runs, this was one but a fun one for the visitors.

Sotutu, Papalii, Christie, Barrett, Mo’unga, Jordan and Tupaea were great.

I’m afraid TJ was totally outshone by Christie today in a match made for TJ’s basketball skills. This may well be the last tour for the old journeyman.

The US scored two tries and really fluffed up a few more opportunities they created. That’s not a total disaster for the Eagles’ second-choice team. 👍
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

mr bungle wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:36 am
obelixtim wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:36 pm Well that was a bit underwhelming. I think most of our NPC teams would tonk the Eagles. I doubt there was much to be gained from the ABs pov apart from having a bit of a training run. Couldn't really even say it was opposed.

It’s all about exposing the brand to the US, whatever that may garner. But I couldn’t help but think while watching they’d be safer and get a far better game by staying at home and playing Hawkes Bay.
I reckon a game between that USA side and the current South Canterbury team would be a hell of a good match.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

jdogscoop wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:39 am

I reckon a game between that USA side and the current South Canterbury team would be a hell of a good match.
So the Stags would beat the US then? Fair call I’d say ;)
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

That would be the worst Sophie's Choice in the world ... for me.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

UncleFB wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:54 am

A Southlander or two in the All Blacks starting lineup should help you make your mind up #neverforget94
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

mr bungle wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:00 am
UncleFB wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:54 am

A Southlander or two in the All Blacks starting lineup should help you make your mind up #neverforget94
That would help, but probably wouldn't be enough to tip it one way or another.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

That was an unfortunate result. No way Americans are getting behind a team reamed by 90 points.

Honestly they'd struggle to beat an NPC team on that display. Which considering some of their best players were out, probably not an unreasonable assumption.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

who won ?
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

As an aside, would the All Black locking combination of Vaa’i and Lord be the youngest ever combination fielded in a full international?
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

guy smiley wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:32 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:23 am
Dan54. wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:11 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:21 am
Dan54. wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:08 am
Very much an opinion, I have rated Tupaea personally higher. I have struggled to get on the Ennor bandwagon, admittedly probably because I struggle to remember 3 good game in a row from him because of injury. Not anti Ennor by any means, but have tended to think (rightly or wrongly) that Quinn has got more to offer.
As I said very much only my opinion.
Was Tupaea even first choice at the Chiefs this year with ALB being world class and ALex Nankivell having a break-out season?
Fair enough question AC, but when was last time Ennor was first choice for Crusaders. I not knocking him, but he is getting a lot like Charlie Ngatai to me, he maybe pretty good but we haven't had a lot of sign of it. I just like the look of Tupaea, he has a lot of what I like at 12, and think he could be a real good un.
Making it clear though, only my opinion, and in no way got anything against Ennor, who I really hope shows us that he has got what a lot of the hype says, I want every player that dons a Black jersey to show us how good they are.
Strange comment, Ennor has been first choice ever since Crotty left. He was first choice in the 2019 final when Crotty was injured, first choice for all of the 2020 season, and started all 5 games in SR TT this year. I guess to answer your question, the last time he was first choice for the Crusaders is the most recent game they played.

Having said that, I agree that it's a really exciting midfield and hopefully a glimpse into the future. I echo your comment that once a player dons a black jersey, I hope they have the game of their lives.
This whole conversation is pretty weird.

Goodhue was 1st choice until he was moved to 12 for lack of anyone else who could play there. Ennor inherited the 13 jersey. He plays well there, no doubt about that. He did a knee in last year's North v South game and missed a lot of rugby, then came down with appendicitis and missed more game time.

Tupaea has come up through the ranks and done everything right so far. He shows excellent promise, serious gas, beautiful running lines and has that feel for attacking opportunities.

Both players have shown enough to deserve their spots and have shitloads of potential.
I think Tupaea has a lot to offer, but serious gas is NOT one of them. Certainly not quicker than Havili, who is not express, and nowhere near as quick as Ennor. Laumape would be quicker IMO and he's not express by any means.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Grandpa wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:13 am

I must admit I only remember Bridge touching the ball once. All in all, it was hard to be poor in that match.. though TJP managed it...

And the more I see Vaa'i play, the more he looks like he should be a six...
I thought TJ had an excellent running game and his game awareness, positions, etc, was first class. It is a real pity he can't do one of his core skills to even a basic level now. The passing was gash. Let's be clear here, he could be forgiven for losing a bit of pace and distances off the pass, but spraying it around like a toddler, on the floor, up the walls, but never in the bowl, is not a good look.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

mr bungle wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:50 am

Nope. I reckon South Canterbury would beat you too.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Aparently the US team only got 1 day together to train before the match.

Absolute Farce :thumbdown:
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

jdogscoop wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:52 am
mr bungle wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:50 am

Nope. I reckon South Canterbury would beat you too.
Yes, I was alluding to your post from a few days back. As good as SC have been and as bad as we are, I still think the void is too great. The old promotion/relegation clashes used to be a cakewalk for the higher div team. Plus I couldn’t imagine SC losing to Canterbury via golden point nor getting within 2 points of Wellington.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

There are very few weaknesses in the South Canterbury side at the moment. Currently unbeaten, and they are a big, fast, very well drilled side. I've watched them on Mainfreight Rugby and despite the lower quality grade, the speed of the ball and their second phase play is very impressive indeed. Smashed Otago B in pre-season too.

Noting your valid points, if they were playing next weekend, my money would be on South Canterbury.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:53 am

Good to hear the Cant boys fronted up in a big match for once.
Are you sure about what you wrote?
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

I'll post pictures of the game tomorrow, but I thought I'd let you enjoy the TJ Perenara penalty. Even the ref couldn't believe what he was seeing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Must have thought he had his hands on it and was fair game.

Kiwis seem to be in agreement that TJ was one of our worst today.
Tussock

Post by Tussock »

Some good play by the ABs... fell apart a little when tge replacements came on.

Will Jordan outstanding... needs to go to fullback.

DMac also very good.

Mo'unga awesome.

Backrow was pretty balanced. Lineouts would've liked to see them attack Eagles throw-in.

Decent from DeGroot...

Overall pretty happy... there will be tougher games ahead.