F1 Thread

All things Rugby
User avatar
Fat Albert
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Trantor

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Fat Albert »

mr bungle wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:04 am Gutless van der Linde takes out championship leader on first corner of final DTM race. A move that would make even Schumacher blush.

5sec penalty only :lol: :blush:

https://youtu.be/IjLd0Okas50
Senna started it, Schumacher turned it into an art form, now every kid in F4 'believes' they're entitled to do the same

sadly, that's their true legacy...
Flyin Ryan
Posts: 11562
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Indiana

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Fat Albert wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:55 am
mr bungle wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:04 am Gutless van der Linde takes out championship leader on first corner of final DTM race. A move that would make even Schumacher blush.

5sec penalty only :lol: :blush:

https://youtu.be/IjLd0Okas50
Senna started it, Schumacher turned it into an art form, now every kid in F4 'believes' they're entitled to do the same

sadly, that's their true legacy...
If I was a team owner I'd never hire a kid that did that. When the kid would ask me why I'd say "well obviously you thought he was better than you, otherwise you would have used your racing talent to defeat him".

Thankfully that practice has stayed in Europe and not crossed the pond.
Rugby2023
Posts: 12740
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:05 pm

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Rugby2023 »

Fat Albert wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:04 pmHe should have stopped when first told to in Turkey, he would have scored more points.

Team was 100% correct both times, Hamilton 100% wrong both times.
Hmm, but should they not have told him to stay out after he did decide to stay out the first time?
Last edited by Rugby2023 on Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
mr bungle
Posts: 14569
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: F1 Thread

Post by mr bungle »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:18 pm
Fat Albert wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:55 am
mr bungle wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:04 am Gutless van der Linde takes out championship leader on first corner of final DTM race. A move that would make even Schumacher blush.

5sec penalty only :lol: :blush:

https://youtu.be/IjLd0Okas50
Senna started it, Schumacher turned it into an art form, now every kid in F4 'believes' they're entitled to do the same

sadly, that's their true legacy...
If I was a team owner I'd never hire a kid that did that. When the kid would ask me why I'd say "well obviously you thought he was better than you, otherwise you would have used your racing talent to defeat him".

Thankfully that practice has stayed in Europe and not crossed the pond.
He did the same thing to Lawson in the previous race of the weekend. How frustrating for a 19 year old Liam Lawson leading the comp and having a guy so clearly trying to take him out. 5 second penalties are a joke.
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 38492
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: F1 Thread

Post by guy smiley »

Not F1 but racing all the same and proof that you never give up, even when you're coming from the back of the grid
User avatar
Fat Albert
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Trantor

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Fat Albert »

Tried to get a bookie to give me odds on another 'my dick is bigger than yours' collision ot CotA between Verstappen & Hamilton, sadly couldn't find anyone willing to give me less than Odds On'...

Mercedes have develped a 'trick' suspension which lowers the ride height at the rear at high downforce levels thus reducing drag and making the car faster in a straight line...

Perez for the win after the now traditional "i'll take you out" - "Not if I take you out first" HAM-VER dust up.
User avatar
Fat Albert
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Trantor

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Fat Albert »

Shout out to 18 year old Abbi Pulling who, in her 3rd outing in a W Series F3 car secured front row starts for both races at CotA.

She finished 4th in race 1 after blowing the start from pole position and 2nd in race 2, being around 5s back from the winner in both races.

Jame Chadwick secured her second title along with $500k prize money and, more importantly if she wants them, 15 Super License points meaning she's halfway to being qualified to race in F1.

Given her role as a Williams test driver (thus far just in the simulator) these points are now enough to let Williams consider giving her an F1 test and/or a FP1 outing at a Grand Prix.
Flyin Ryan
Posts: 11562
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Indiana

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Lot of rumors over here of Michael Andretti buying controlling interest in Alfa Romeo. The driver this may most benefit is Colton Herta.
User avatar
AlanBengio
Posts: 2870
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Italia

Re: F1 Thread

Post by AlanBengio »

Mercedes clueless on strategies…
Really they should just thank their utter dominance for the past championship wins - they are stupid as stones…
Not only for Hamilton - but what they are doing with Bottas??
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 38492
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: F1 Thread

Post by guy smiley »

Far too early to complain about strategy...

fascinating race this one, so many factors at play.
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 22440
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Enzedder »

AlanBengio wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:30 pm Mercedes clueless on strategies…
Really they should just thank their utter dominance for the past championship wins - they are stupid as stones…
Not only for Hamilton - but what they are doing with Bottas??
The Mockers Gods have noted you comment and immediately halved the gap between 1st and 2nd. Game on
User avatar
LandOTurk
Posts: 15428
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: F1 Thread

Post by LandOTurk »

will he, won't he?
User avatar
AlanBengio
Posts: 2870
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Italia

Re: F1 Thread

Post by AlanBengio »

Enzedder wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:18 pm
AlanBengio wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:30 pm Mercedes clueless on strategies…
Really they should just thank their utter dominance for the past championship wins - they are stupid as stones…
Not only for Hamilton - but what they are doing with Bottas??
The Mockers Gods have noted you comment and immediately halved the gap between 1st and 2nd. Game on
six seconds Mercedes gifted to Verstappen when Hamilton was first
Stupid
User avatar
AlanBengio
Posts: 2870
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Italia

Re: F1 Thread

Post by AlanBengio »

AlanBengio wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:31 pm
Enzedder wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:18 pm
AlanBengio wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:30 pm Mercedes clueless on strategies…
Really they should just thank their utter dominance for the past championship wins - they are stupid as stones…
Not only for Hamilton - but what they are doing with Bottas??
The Mockers Gods have noted you comment and immediately halved the gap between 1st and 2nd. Game on
six seconds Mercedes gifted to Verstappen when Hamilton was first
Stupid
Not you obviously but Mercedes
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 22440
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Enzedder »

Good race - far better than the processions of previous years
User avatar
Willie Falloon
Posts: 10230
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Willie Falloon »

This feels like a championship winning moment here.
de_Selby
Posts: 4694
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: F1 Thread

Post by de_Selby »

What a race. Felt like it was going to be Barcelona mk2 but Max drove an amazing race. How did he keep enough life in those tyres
User avatar
AlanBengio
Posts: 2870
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Italia

Re: F1 Thread

Post by AlanBengio »

Hamilton is pissed with Mercedes
I bet that
Quins89
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:26 pm

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Quins89 »

Bottas is a total waste of time. He can’t pass anyone if it isn’t an easy pass.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 44799
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Anonymous 1 »

AlanBengio wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:44 pm Hamilton is pissed with Mercedes
I bet that
This is what the supporters of the once great Ferrari have been reduced to 😱
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 38492
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: F1 Thread

Post by guy smiley »

Quins89 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:44 pm Bottas is a total waste of time. He can’t pass anyone if it isn’t an easy pass.
Image
User avatar
terryfinch
Posts: 5987
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: F1 Thread

Post by terryfinch »

de_Selby wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:42 pm What a race. Felt like it was going to be Barcelona mk2 but Max drove an amazing race. How did he keep enough life in those tyres
That was epic. Fair play to Max! It’s been a great championships so far.
de_Selby
Posts: 4694
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: F1 Thread

Post by de_Selby »

guy smiley wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:54 pm
Quins89 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:44 pm Bottas is a total waste of time. He can’t pass anyone if it isn’t an easy pass.
Image
I thought about replying to it, but it was such a stupid take I thought what's the point.
User avatar
AlanBengio
Posts: 2870
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Italia

Re: F1 Thread

Post by AlanBengio »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:49 pm
AlanBengio wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:44 pm Hamilton is pissed with Mercedes
I bet that
This is what the supporters of the once great Ferrari have been reduced to 😱
He lost a well earned first position to follow some sort of not yet identified strategy staying out three / four laps (for what I did not understand yet).
He is pissed don’t worry

Edit: you have to consider these things happened also in the past - ie weird Mercedes’ pit stops - but in the past they were so quick that Hamilton was always able to save the day, usually during the last laps.
But this year their dominance is no more like it use to be - hence my early comment about how stupid they had been in gifting six seconds unnecessarily to Red Bull.
I was right
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 38492
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: F1 Thread

Post by guy smiley »

:lol:

Image
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 44799
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Anonymous 1 »

AlanBengio wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:03 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:49 pm
AlanBengio wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:44 pm Hamilton is pissed with Mercedes
I bet that
This is what the supporters of the once great Ferrari have been reduced to 😱
He lost a well earned first position to follow some sort of not yet identified strategy staying out three / four laps (for what I did not understand yet).
He is pissed don’t worry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8H7funszsI
User avatar
AlanBengio
Posts: 2870
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Italia

Re: F1 Thread

Post by AlanBengio »

I should have pushed for a career into F1 journalism - that’s for sure. As I see insights the people fail to see, I report views no one in the press get notice of
A wasted talent I am
User avatar
blindcider
Posts: 8750
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: F1 Thread

Post by blindcider »

AlanBengio wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:03 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:49 pm
AlanBengio wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:44 pm Hamilton is pissed with Mercedes
I bet that
This is what the supporters of the once great Ferrari have been reduced to 😱
He lost a well earned first position to follow some sort of not yet identified strategy staying out three / four laps (for what I did not understand yet).
He is pissed don’t worry

Edit: you have to consider these things happened also in the past - ie weird Mercedes’ pit stops - but in the past they were so quick that Hamilton was always able to save the day, usually during the last laps.
But this year their dominance is no more like it use to be - hence my early comment about how stupid they had been in gifting six seconds unnecessarily to Red Bull.
I was right
The strategy is clearly for fresher tyres at the end of the race. It's a bit of a conservative choice as it mitigates against the possibility of a safety car (viewed as more likely early on when the field is generally closer together).

Sometimes the gap comes for the car behind to drop into before the lead car as well as well as the car in second having to make braver choices to win the race. Leading the race can be a double edged sword as Norris found out a few weeks back as the guys in second often holds more playable cards.

I'm not saying that Mercedes made the right choice or that you are wrong on this occasion but you always act like these are zero-sum choices and there is more going on.
User avatar
Catman
Posts: 2093
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Catman »

wonder if there will be any repercussions for baby Schumacher for holding Max up on the last lap then staying out wide for LH to breeze by. Totally ignored blue flags for 3 or 4 corners

If Max had lost out there would have been some fireworks I bet
Rugby2023
Posts: 12740
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:05 pm

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Rugby2023 »

Catman wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:06 am wonder if there will be any repercussions for baby Schumacher for holding Max up on the last lap then staying out wide for LH to breeze by. Totally ignored blue flags for 3 or 4 corners

If Max had lost out there would have been some fireworks I bet
Wasn't Schumacher gifting Verstappen DRS significant? Genuine question, as I fell asleep during the race and missed the second half.

While it's only a 12pt lead, it seems the title is Verstappen's to lose. RBR look in much better shape on and off the track. I hope he loses, but it seems less likely with every race.
Last edited by Rugby2023 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Grandpa
Posts: 2834
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Yorkshire

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Grandpa »

Listening to the "experts" on Radio 5Live here in the UK... before this weekend and they were all in agreement that Max had to win the next two races to have a chance as the last 4 races were likely to suit Lewis a lot more... whereas the next two (now one) would suit Max... I can't remember the reasons why...
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 38492
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: F1 Thread

Post by guy smiley »

Grandpa wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:31 am Listening to the "experts" on Radio 5Live here in the UK... before this weekend and they were all in agreement that Max had to win the next two races to have a chance as the last 4 races were likely to suit Lewis a lot more... whereas the next two (now one) would suit Max... I can't remember the reasons why...
Different tracks suit one car more than the other, so the theories go. You do see those theories turn into so much smoke and bugger all else sometimes, though.

Verstappen has a handy buffer now so close to the end of the season, the championship is pretty much his to lose. It's fair to say though, that this season has shown just how unpredictable racing can be. There are plenty of factors still at play that can influence the outcome. There was talk that Mercedes will be sweating on LH's engines lasting and he may have to take another and cop a grid penalty. Verstappen showed a new maturity at COTA, I thought... pacing himself well to give himself and the team the best chance of pulling off what was a pretty brave gamble with such an early undercut.

There were plenty of highlights in that race. Alonso and Vettel going wheel to wheel was nice to watch and the opening lap scrap between Sainz, Ricciardo and Norris was breathtaking.

It's been a really good season so far. Hopefully that standard continues through to the end.
User avatar
Grandpa
Posts: 2834
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Yorkshire

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Grandpa »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:54 am
Grandpa wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:31 am Listening to the "experts" on Radio 5Live here in the UK... before this weekend and they were all in agreement that Max had to win the next two races to have a chance as the last 4 races were likely to suit Lewis a lot more... whereas the next two (now one) would suit Max... I can't remember the reasons why...
Different tracks suit one car more than the other, so the theories go. You do see those theories turn into so much smoke and bugger all else sometimes, though.

Verstappen has a handy buffer now so close to the end of the season, the championship is pretty much his to lose. It's fair to say though, that this season has shown just how unpredictable racing can be. There are plenty of factors still at play that can influence the outcome. There was talk that Mercedes will be sweating on LH's engines lasting and he may have to take another and cop a grid penalty. Verstappen showed a new maturity at COTA, I thought... pacing himself well to give himself and the team the best chance of pulling off what was a pretty brave gamble with such an early undercut.

There were plenty of highlights in that race. Alonso and Vettel going wheel to wheel was nice to watch and the opening lap scrap between Sainz, Ricciardo and Norris was breathtaking.

It's been a really good season so far. Hopefully that standard continues through to the end.
Yeah sorry, I meant I can't remember why they thought the specific tracks suited a particular driver/team. But as you say, so many variables these days that can change things on the day... rain for a start!

5 races still to go... finally an exciting end to an F1 season...
Flyin Ryan
Posts: 11562
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Indiana

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Flyin Ryan »

guy smiley wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:54 pm
Quins89 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:44 pm Bottas is a total waste of time. He can’t pass anyone if it isn’t an easy pass.
Image
That chart really tells you there's nothing going on in the midfield. Remove the natural +2 drivers in the back half of the starting grid got from the Gasly and Ocon retirements and all you have is Vettel moved from back of the field to midfield and George Russell passed a few guys at the back of the field. Your next best is Kimi Raikkonen who held position (exchanged passing Latifi for getting passed by Vettel), ditto Tsunoda, and everyone else went backward.
User avatar
AlanBengio
Posts: 2870
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Italia

Re: F1 Thread

Post by AlanBengio »

de_Selby
Posts: 4694
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: F1 Thread

Post by de_Selby »

Lots of drama regarding Hamilton's rear wing. It seems like Mercedes are actually trying to argue that Verstappen is responsible for it failing the test when he looked at it for 1 second :lol:
Quins89
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:26 pm

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Quins89 »

de_Selby wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:34 am Lots of drama regarding Hamilton's rear wing. It seems like Mercedes are actually trying to argue that Verstappen is responsible for it failing the test when he looked at it for 1 second :lol:
I reckon Lewis will get off at this rate.

It’s gone on too long.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 44799
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: F1 Thread

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Quins89 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:38 am
de_Selby wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:34 am Lots of drama regarding Hamilton's rear wing. It seems like Mercedes are actually trying to argue that Verstappen is responsible for it failing the test when he looked at it for 1 second :lol:
I reckon Lewis will get off at this rate.

It’s gone on too long.
It's early morning there. I would have thought they adjourned last night to be continued today
User avatar
terryfinch
Posts: 5987
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: F1 Thread

Post by terryfinch »

Hamilton disqualified.
User avatar
mr bungle
Posts: 14569
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: F1 Thread

Post by mr bungle »

terryfinch wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:18 pm Hamilton disqualified.
Does as well as they would have hoped, from 20th to 5th in the sprint race.
Post Reply