10%
George Smith
13%

Total votes: 30

Pat the Ex Mat

Re: The Australian Politics Thread

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

wamberal wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:36 am

The ALP needs a bit of criticism, frankly. Yes, Palme is her father's daughter. Paddy was a good left winger for many years, then had a total change of heart. No idea why.

Have you read the "Letters to the Editor" lately? Apart from George Fishman, it is lefties all the way.

If the choice is reading the SMH or nothing, I'll take the SMH. (I also take the New York Times and The Gruaniad, by the way, on the one hand, and The Rupert on the other, on a very cheap internet subscription which will run out soon, at which point I will drop it. Apart from the weekend edition, because my wife likes reading the magazine, and I like reading the book reviews). Oh, and that other reliably liberal periodical The New Yorker, which I thoroughly recommend.
Ah, of course, another lightweight scion getting and easy ride to $$$. Much like the Duchess of Mayo.... :|

I won't have a word said about the Con Vaitsas - he's a legend of the letters.

You'll find the comments sections are where the Right-wingers lurk. One of the disappointments of the Grauniad's articles is they rarely have comments sections

I read all of the ones you mention bar the Australian - I did used to subscribe when I first moved here but it really has become an arse-rag of a newspaper. :thumbdown:
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

wamberal wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:36 am

The ALP needs a bit of criticism, frankly. Yes, Palme is her father's daughter. Paddy was a good left winger for many years, then had a total change of heart. No idea why.
I recall Padriac being very anti lawyer for a while ... something about a defamation case. I also recall that Paul Keating didn't get on with him. The change of heart seemed to roughly coincide with Raoul's premiership.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

There’s so much about this government that utterly underwhelms and disappoints that it’s become boring commenting on it.

One thing about this week does bear comment though… the unprecedented over ruling of the Speaker by the PM regarding a referral to the Priviledges Committee of Christian Porter’s personal slush fund.

Bernard Keane had some choice words on the matter in Crikey. An excerpt here…
Just who are Porter and Morrison protecting, sufficient that one will sacrifice his ministerial career and the other will throw his speaker under a bus? Why are their identities worth hiding at such great cost?
That, surely, is the most fascinating question in federal politics — not the climate policy circus of shit-flinging apes that is the National Party or Morrison’s latest effort to encourage everyone to forget the debacle of the vaccine rollout.
But it appears to be of zero fascination to much of the press gallery. The print media virtually ignored the overruling of Smith, despite its unprecedented nature and what it revealed about the government’s sensitivity about Porter’s donors.
Journalists, editors and producers still retain an institutional power to decide what qualifies as a “yarn”, and what doesn’t. And Morrison’s protection of Porter was deemed to be not yarn-worthy by newspapers — despite having all the ingredients of one, including a clear narrative of cover-up and political personalities.
Is it that the corruption and hatred of accountability that marks the Morrison government is now so routine that it doesn’t warrant coverage? That Morrison and his cronies are expected to behave this way, so it’s unremarkable when they do? Is this how corruption and cover-ups become normalised at the highest level of politics, with dozens of small decisions about what’s newsworthy in media bureaux?
Still, just because a question is ignored doesn’t make it go away: who are Porter and Morrison protecting at such cost, and why? What leverage or power do these donors have to elicit such protection? What else can they demand?
This is a thoroughly squalid government, the worst ever seen in Canberra. And its puppetmasters deserve outing.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

It was hilarious to see Smirko running back in sans jacket to quash the vote.

A complete sham of a party :thumbdown:
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Over ruling the speakers recommendation is a bad one - that alone should force hands here. Dutton hid behind his own inquiry to professional stds - but his was generic (valid but not the main issue) and the speaker is clearly for Porter.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Former New South Wales Labor Ministers Eddie Obeid and Ian Macdonald have been jailed over a mine licence conspiracy .

Macdonald, has been jailed for at least five years and three months.

Eddie Obeid has been given a minimum three years and 10 months sentence.

Eddie Obeid's son Moses has been jailed for at least three years over the conspiracy.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-21/ ... /100557192

I imagine there'll be further commentary throughout the Murdoch media condemning ICAC's overreach...?
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Slim 293 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:06 am
Former New South Wales Labor Ministers Eddie Obeid and Ian Macdonald have been jailed over a mine licence conspiracy .

Eddie Obeid's son Moses has been jailed for at least three years over the conspiracy.

I imagine there'll be further commentary throughout the Murdoch media condemning ICAC's overreach...?
Fantastic News!
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Well, it would be hypocritical if there wasn't... :lol:
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Pounds to peanuts the secret donor is Gina Rinehart.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

wamberal wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:24 am Pounds to peanuts the secret donor is Gina Rinehart.
I don't think she'd be the only one. I think there would be a cabal of IPA types desperate to remain hidden.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

https://theconversation.com/after-a-bom ... ics-170102

A few days into the current Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) proceedings in NSW, and it appears two relatively popular former NSW premiers and Cabinet colleagues – Gladys Berejiklian and Mike Baird – might hold markedly different views on integrity in public office.

In fact, Baird, who is not accused of any wrongdoing, told the hearing he was “incredulous” when he found out about the relationship between Berejiklian and former MP Daryl Maguire, and believed she ought to have disclosed it.

In the wake of the ICAC hearings, questions are also emerging about the system surrounding, and potentially enabling, perceived actions of political integrity.

We are witnessing a moment that will test widely held assumptions about politics beyond NSW alone. Integrity has become stock and trade in Australian politics. It crystallises views on what is, and what isn’t, good government. Faith in political systems depends on it. Democracy requires us to trust the integrity of political structures, elections, parliament, and parliamentarians.

The most experienced political actors know this. That’s why they return to the issue of integrity, repeatedly, both in the bluster of attack, and in the stiff resolve of defence. Berejiklian did just that in her recent resignation speech. She said

History will demonstrate that I have always executed my duties with the highest degree of integrity for the benefit of the people of NSW.

That is precisely the proposition ICAC is testing. Its investigation into whether Berejiklian engaged in conduct that “constituted or involved a breach of public trust” will substantially shape the historical record.

The integrity of the political processes behind the deployment of public funds in NSW has again been drawn into question. It is not the first time, and if we look at recent history, it may be that hints of structural vulnerability were emerging.

Asked late last year about accusations of pork barrelling Berejiklian replied, “It’s not an illegal practice”. It was a curious response; a frank admission that electoral imperatives influence the stewardship of public resources. Nevertheless, she was right.

The integrity of the system is not, according to the NSW Ministerial Code of Conduct, compromised if ministers make decisions that might result in the “expectation that the manner in which a particular matter is dealt with will enhance a person’s or party’s popular standing”.

But, the code warns, ministers do “have a responsibility to avoid or otherwise manage appropriately conflicts of interest to ensure the maintenance of both the actuality and appearance of Ministerial integrity”. That’s the issue here.

The current ICAC proceedings are examining whether the former premier – who has denied wrongdoing – failed to declare a “conflict of interest” regarding her relationship with McGuire in relation to decisions on the allocation of public funds to particular projects in his electorate of Wagga Wagga.

On this issue, the comments from Baird – Berejiklian’s predecessor – at ICAC were pointed. His remark that her relationship with Maguire “should have been disclosed” goes to the heart of the matter.

The integrity of the deployment of public funds, in Baird’s view, relies on appropriate public disclosure. The varied treatment of that proposition, both politically and under the code, is becoming clearer. But what about the public service?

Public servants are there to advise ministers and ensure public monies are spent well. Indeed, the Government Sector Employment Act 2013 provides a list of four core values – integrity, trust, service and accountability. It also lists 18 principles guiding how these values should be implemented for those employed in the public service and wider government sector. In particular, the act requires public servants to make decisions that result in the fair provision of services.

Importantly, the act stipulates public servants should be “fiscally responsible and focus on efficient, effective and prudent use of resources”.

To protect public servants from compromise, the ministerial code specifies that ministers have a “responsibility to ensure that they do not act in a way that would place others, including public servants, in a position that would require them to breach the law or their own ethical obligations”.

But as with most sets of rules, exceptions apply. The code does not “limit Ministerial discretion to make decisions and direct departments in accordance with the principle of departmental responsibility to Ministers, including to disagree with advice and recommendations put to them by public servants”.

Where political integrity lies in all of this remains to be seen. If pork barrelling is okay, and disclosure discretionary, then the basis of public trust in politicians and political processes is also drawn into question.

At a time when a federal integrity commission seems a distant priority, and NSW proceedings have a distance to run, the integrity of Australian politics and democracy is being tested.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Ellafan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:56 am
Farva wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:09 am Interestingly, news.com.au have just published a look at temperature increases in Australia by 2050.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/envi ... 6441e8633e

That region is set to increase by around 1.7 degrees
So, if rainfall increases, can they plant more bananas etc. ?
I love the way they move in Cat 5 cyclones
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

The Victorian opposition tearing themselves apart over gay conversion therapy laws…
“From a Nationals point of view, we will not be supporting James on this position and he can go and get f---ed, simple as that,” Nationals leader Peter Walsh told Tuesday’s meeting.

Shadow attorney-general Tim Smith interjected to challenge Mr Finn’s interpretation of the Coalition’s position on the bill. “Read the f---ing bill, Bernie,” he shouted.

Mr Finn: “We gave a commitment; you might not care about commitments but a lot of us do.”

Mr Smith: “I can read, you fool. Read the f---ing thing.”

Mr Finn: “You are a f---ing idiot.”

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/vict ... 591k5.html
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Indeed, Kristine Keneally oversaw this criminal gang as premier. No doubt ICAC will be calling her in shortly to ask her why she didn't suspect something was amiss, and report it to ICAC*. Afterall, she was annointed by the gang of crims as premier. They probably thought they could control her... and it wasn't her that dished them up.

* You have been keeping up with the Kafkaesque nonsense going on in Elizabeth street haven't you Slim? It's like a bizarre Monty Python skit, without the humour element.
grievous

Post by grievous »

wamberal wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:24 am Pounds to peanuts the secret donor is Gina Rinehart.
Stokes like hes backing that ex SAS grub
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Ellafan wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:34 am

Indeed, Kristine Keneally oversaw this criminal gang as premier. No doubt ICAC will be calling her in shortly to ask her why she didn't suspect something was amiss, and report it to ICAC*. Afterall, she was annointed by the gang of crims as premier. They probably thought they could control her... and it wasn't her that dished them up.

* You have been keeping up with the Kafkaesque nonsense going on in Elizabeth street haven't you Slim? It's like a bizarre Monty Python skit, without the humour element.
They probably thought they were throwing her a hospital pass. Which they were.

But that which does not kill you makes etc etc.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Ellafan wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:34 am * You have been keeping up with the Kafkaesque nonsense going on in Elizabeth street haven't you Slim? It's like a bizarre Monty Python skit, without the humour element.

I'm not sure I am familiar with said nonsense going on in Elizabeth Street? :?
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Just scanned today's SMH. How on earth anybody on earth could characterise this newspaper as being anti-ALP is just beyond me.

Oh, the front page does tell us a fair bit more than we would like to know about the Obeids and Lunches McDonald. And David Crowe points out that Albo has about as much cut-through in the House as a wet lettuce leaf. Much clever political minds than mine have pointed out how crucial parliamentary performance is, Albo needs some coaching, or some injections, or something.

The rest of the paper features what amounts to a continuation of the ramifications surrounding Gladys' downfall, encomiums on the retirement of well-known ABC lefty Fran Kelly, lots of stuff about the Christian Porter disgrace, the on-going shambles of the Coal i shun's climate policy, and nary anything I could see that was positive from the point of view of the tories.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

wamberal wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:41 pm Albo needs some coaching, or some injections, or something.
It's a bit severe to have him put down. They could just sack him.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Slim 293 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:12 pm
Ellafan wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:34 am * You have been keeping up with the Kafkaesque nonsense going on in Elizabeth street haven't you Slim? It's like a bizarre Monty Python skit, without the humour element.

You can, if you are very bored and have nothing better to do, watch the Gladys ICAC hearing (or at least excerpts thereof) on Youtube and other places.

The specific accusation which has now been made, apart from that she should have disclosed to the world that she had a fuck buddy, is that, (a) subjectively in her own mind she should have sniffed something suspicious ... and been suspicious, and (b) she should have reported her suspicion to ICAC.

Have you ever read Kafka's The Trial? No accused is ever acquitted; trials just take on a life of their own, and continue until they find something, anything to convict on, so as to justify the existence of the police/prosecutors/court system. No individual in that group is ever personally accountable, they are complicit parts of the machinery, relying on the Nuremburg defence to excuse their authoritarian excesses.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Ellafan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:53 am

You can, if you are very bored and have nothing better to do, watch the Gladys ICAC hearing (or at least excerpts thereof) on Youtube and other places.

The specific accusation which has now been made, apart from that she should have disclosed to the world that she had a fuck buddy, is that, (a) subjectively in her own mind she should have sniffed something suspicious ... and been suspicious, and (b) she should have reported her suspicion to ICAC.

Have you ever read Kafka's The Trial? No accused is ever acquitted; trials just take on a life of their own, and continue until they find something, anything to convict on, so as to justify the existence of the police/prosecutors/court system. No individual in that group is ever personally accountable, they are complicit parts of the machinery, relying on the Nuremburg defence to excuse their authoritarian excesses.
I think Ill just wait for the findings of the ICAC to decide whether I think she was guilty of something.
I trust the judiciary system to do the right thing and follow the right processes and wont try and second guess any biases.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Farva wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:08 am
Ellafan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:53 am

I think Ill just wait for the findings of the ICAC to decide whether I think she was guilty of something.
I trust the judiciary system to do the right thing and follow the right processes and wont try and second guess any biases.
ICAC is not part of the judicial system.
Dozy

Post by Dozy »

https://cairnsnews.org/2021/10/22/gover ... ustralian/

Gawd I hate everything I see and read about Australia
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Dozy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:18 am https://cairnsnews.org/2021/10/22/gover ... ustralian/

Maybe you should stop reading weird websites pretending to be news sites?
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

UncleFB wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:31 am
Dozy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:18 am https://cairnsnews.org/2021/10/22/gover ... ustralian/

Maybe you should stop being weird?
The vast majority of Australians would hate everything this dickhead writes about everything,
Dozy

Post by Dozy »

That was sent to me by an Australian who lives on a boat and is currently planning to sail from Spain to Capetown.

He is very vocal on how much he hates Australia...but then again he hated it before Covid and was calling it a police state
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Dozy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:04 am That was sent to me by an Australian who lives on a boat and is currently planning to sail from Spain to Capetown.

He is very vocal on how much he hates Australia...but then again he hated it before Covid and was calling it a police state

I know a Chinese guy that says the same about China.
towny

Post by towny »

guy smiley wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:10 am
Dozy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:04 am That was sent to me by an Australian who lives on a boat and is currently planning to sail from Spain to Capetown.

I know a Chinese guy that says the same about China.
😂
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

wamberal wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:41 pm Just scanned today's SMH. How on earth anybody on earth could characterise this newspaper as being anti-ALP is just beyond me.

Oh, the front page does tell us a fair bit more than we would like to know about the Obeids and Lunches McDonald. And David Crowe points out that Albo has about as much cut-through in the House as a wet lettuce leaf. Much clever political minds than mine have pointed out how crucial parliamentary performance is, Albo needs some coaching, or some injections, or something.
\
Crowe is LNP Cheer squad.

If you watched Question Time, you'd have seen Albo rip Smirko a new one over the Porter scramble vote - did you see it on the news?

Doubtful :frown:
grievous

Post by grievous »

Packer has mental issues, good to know you move and jibe with the high life though
grievous

Post by grievous »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:52 pm
wamberal wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:41 pm Just scanned today's SMH. How on earth anybody on earth could characterise this newspaper as being anti-ALP is just beyond me.

\
Crowe is LNP Cheer squad.

:lol:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Submarine deal still causing problems...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-23/ ... /100562470
The European Union has postponed the next round of free trade talks with Australia for a second time amid simmering anger over Canberra's decision to cancel a $90 billion submarine contract with France.
Key points:

Australia cancelled a deal with a French company to build eight conventional submarines in September
Since then, the EU questioned whether it should continue free trade talks with Australia
Trade Minister Dan Tehan had previously said he hoped talks would result in a deal by the end of 2021

Trade Minister Dan Tehan said the 12th round of talks with the EU had been postponed for the second time this month, this time until February 2022.

The talks were previously put off by a month from mid-October.

"The European Union have advised the Australian government that round 12 of the FTA negotiations will now take place in February," Mr Tehan said in a statement to Reuters.

The European Commission, which oversees trade policy for the 27-nation European Union, said it had not scheduled a resumption of trade talks in November, with no new date set for the 12th round to take place.

France is showing Australia a new face this week — gone is the blazing anger over a broken promise, replaced by a series of cold, dismissive snubs levelled at our federal trade minister.

A mid-November round could have been awkward timing given it would have coincided with the end of global climate change talks in Scotland, with Brussels seeking greater commitments on climate action from Canberra as part of the trade deal.
towny

Post by towny »

Those French subs would have been a disaster. I’m not saying that the new path is a certain winner, but the French were fleecing us and we don’t have the capability to build fancy stuff.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Tonight's Newspoll.

Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

towny wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:02 am Those French subs would have been a disaster. I’m not saying that the new path is a certain winner, but the French were fleecing us and we don’t have the capability to build fancy stuff.
They were bought to shore up the SA seats.

You can't blame the French.

Any deal with the UK or US is not going to be any better - the Japanese design was the best fit for Oz
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:38 pm
towny wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:02 am Those French subs would have been a disaster. I’m not saying that the new path is a certain winner, but the French were fleecing us and we don’t have the capability to build fancy stuff.

Any deal with the UK or US is not going to be any better - the Japanese design was the best fit for Oz
Cruising range?
Dozy

Post by Dozy »

AUKUS 😂

When the Quad friends don't want to commit ....start Aukus ...desperate.

Can't wait to see the delays and overspend on these subs and how useless they will be when they come into service in 2045
towny

Post by towny »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:38 pm

I am almost totally on the same page. The yank subs will work because they’ll just end up giving us some. We can use their infrastructure, processes and support - we’ll just be an extension of their navy. Our independence was a facade anyway.
Australia can’t manufacture advanced stuff - we are kidding ourselves.
towny

Post by towny »

Dozy wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:39 pm AUKUS 😂

When the Quad friends don't want to commit ....start Aukus ...desperate.

Can't wait to see the delays and overspend on these subs and how useless they will be when they come into service in 2045
American submarines have a long history of being shite, right?
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Ellafan wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:52 pm

Cruising range?
Australian doctrine is to defend our sealanes, not patrol vast oceans. :nod: