You can call me Bill

Re: Quinton De Kock will not kneel

Post by You can call me Bill »

Grandpa wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:38 pm
You can call me Bill wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:27 pm
Grandpa wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:17 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:11 pm
Grandpa wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:08 pm

Didn't football move away from Black Lives Matter because of this confusion? Now it's "No Room for Racism" ?
That won't stop the likes of DAC trying to muddy the waters
I'm surprised other sports aren't doing the same to remove the political stigma...

Though I do think if players do different things it has less of an impact..... seeing everyone taking a knee... or doing whatever... if all the same it is a more powerful message than random stances?

though protesting against being seen to be anti-racists... It's like saying hello to strangers when out on a walk... rather than saying "fcuk off" cause you don't want to be told what to do... is it really that much of an issue?
More like being told to say hello when you just want to mind your own business.
I run most nights and say hello to everyone I pass.. whether they are running or walking... or cycling... I can't remember the last time someone ignored me.. or said fcuk off... so most people are conditioned to be polite back...
Sincere congrats on your running. I'd likely ignore you, and in most cities I think most people would ignore you. Or at least in most cities, most people would ignore most people.

None of this though seems to relate to a cricketer being forced to kneel for a particular movement in order to be allowed to play cricket.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

I'd never "take the knee" - I'd clap or wear a t-shirt or something, though.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

“It’s everyone’s decision; no-one’s forced to do anything, not in life. That’s the way I see things.” ~ Quinton De Kock
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

assfly wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:36 pm
sorCrer wrote:
Of course Twatter is blowing up saying they don't want a racist De Kock representing them etc
SA Twitter must be a cesspit after that. Doesn't take much to get them riled up.
I don't think SA Twitter are exclusive to the Twitter cesspit.
You can call me Bill

DAC_ wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:45 pm I'd never "take the knee" - I'd clap or wear a t-shirt or something, though.
First of all I'd never get close to being selected for anything where anyone would care what I wear anyway.

That point aside, I'd not be massively keen on wearing a BLM T-Shirt, a) because of some elements of the movement b) because I think it's a dumb slogan.

But I'd very happily wear something like:

- I condemn all discrimination against black people
- I stand with people of all skin colours
- Shame on racists
- Racism stinks
- Cool people aren't unpleasant to black people
- Love and respect people of colour

or whatever

Anyway, Emma's on.
Last edited by You can call me Bill on Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

You can call me Bill wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:42 pm
assfly wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:31 pm It's utterly ridiculous for Cricket SA to force this. "Forced solidarity" is an oxymoron if ever there was one.

I remember going through this last year during the restart of the rugby. A number of South African players in the Prem didn't take the knee. It has a lot to do with their religious views, which in my opinion should be respected.

BLM has a very uncomfortable fit in modern day South Africa. This further proves this point.
If I recall correctly, the south africa minister for sport called the Saracens (or Sale ?) players who didn't kneel racists, including one guy who has an adopted black child ?
Lood de Jager
towny

Post by towny »

You can call me Bill wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:14 pm
DAC_ wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:45 pm I'd never "take the knee" - I'd clap or wear a t-shirt or something, though.
First of all I'd never get close to being selected for anything where anyone would care what I wear anyway.

That point aside, I'd not be massively keen on wearing a BLM T-Shirt, a) because of some elements of the movement b) because I think it's a dumb slogan.

- Shame on racism
- Racism stinks

or whatever

Anyway, Emma's on.
You remind me of Don Draper.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

- I condemn all discrimination against black people x(
- Shame on racism
- Racism stinks
- Cool people aren't unpleasant to black people :roll: x(
- Love and respect people of colour :roll: :roll: x( :roll: :roll:

or whatever

Anyway, Emma's on.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

I noticed at the F1 Grand Prix in the states, not all the drivers took the knee
You can call me Bill

towny wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:00 pm

- Shame on racism
- Racism stinks

or whatever

Anyway, Emma's on.
Don't get the reference, but he looks vastly more accomplished than me.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:13 pm
not_english wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:02 pm Why would you refuse to make a gesture against racism? Pick your battles imho
Right wingers insist it's not a gesture against racism but it's actually an act of fealty (to much Game of Thrones) to the Black Lives Matter organisation who they see as a bunch of Marxists. It isn't and it does not matter if that organisation are a bunch of Marxists because it's not about them

That’s some grade A gaslighting there.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:34 pm
not_english wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:02 pm Why would you refuse to make a gesture against racism? Pick your battles imho
Right wingers insist it's not a gesture against racism but it's actually an act of fealty (to much Game of Thrones) to the Black Lives Matter organisation who they see as a bunch of Marxists. It isn't and it does not matter if that organisation are a bunch of Marxists because it's not about them

Dominic Raab says he has "full respect" for Black Lives Matter campaigners after he was criticised for comments about "taking the knee".

The foreign secretary said the gesture "seems to be taken" from TV drama Game of Thrones.

He also said it "feels to me like a symbol of subjugation, subordination, rather than one of liberation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53093244
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Anon further gaslights by using a Tory minister to support his nonsense.

:lol:
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:48 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:42 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:34 pm

Dominic Raab says he has "full respect" for Black Lives Matter campaigners after he was criticised for comments about "taking the knee".

The foreign secretary said the gesture "seems to be taken" from TV drama Game of Thrones.

He also said it "feels to me like a symbol of subjugation, subordination, rather than one of liberation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53093244
Anon further gaslights by using a Tory minister to support his nonsense.

Bimbo gonna Bimbo
bimboman wrote:
You realise you can support one aspect of a organisation but not the other. People support black lives getting a fair chance, not marxism. Who cares what the founders of BLM otherwise think?

I realise you can do that. But in this case it’s silly because supporting the slogan BLM come with actual methodology for achieving the slogan. This method they want is the Marxist stuff.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

I wonder if Quinton will be cancelled. Doesn't seem to look good for him. If it is an active issue in your country then sure, but how long does it need to go on for? And what if you would rather protest against other issues like climate change, what's the appropriate gesture for that? How far does it go, they're a bunch of young sportsmen ffs.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Whatever wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:15 pm I wonder if Quinton will be cancelled. Doesn't seem to look good for him. If it is an active issue in your country then sure, but how long does it need to go on for? And what if you would rather protest against other issues like climate change, what's the appropriate gesture for that? How far does it go, they're a bunch of young sportsmen ffs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izs-g-cQU-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bI0_tmZcd4
Last edited by Anonymous 1 on Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

- Shame on racism
- Racism stinks

or whatever

Anyway, Emma's on.

Great t shirt ideas. What about:

Good sirs, I beseech thee to consider an immediate cessation of conduct that could be considered to be causing some parties detriment on the basis if their race and/or ethnicity. Furthermore, we should consider active measures to encourage others to take the same position. Sincerely, You can call me Bill esquire.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Whatever wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:15 pm I wonder if Quinton will be cancelled. Doesn't seem to look good for him. If it is an active issue in your country then sure, but how long does it need to go on for? And what if you would rather protest against other issues like climate change, what's the appropriate gesture for that? How far does it go, they're a bunch of young sportsmen ffs.
I wonder if he kneels in church?
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

obelixtim wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:41 pm
He probably does. He may be an anti-vaxxer. He might shoot rhinos. He may like Afrikaaner folk music. Who knows what this guy is capable of.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Whatever wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:06 pm
He probably does. He may be an anti-vaxxer. He might shoot rhinos. He may like Afrikaaner folk music. Who knows what this guy is capable of.
Burn him.
TheSmurf

Post by TheSmurf »

obelixtim wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:09 pm
Whatever wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:06 pm
Burn him.
It shall be done.

It's inevitable.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Zakar wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:31 pm

- Shame on racism
- Racism stinks

or whatever

Anyway, Emma's on.

Good sirs, I beseech thee to consider an immediate cessation of conduct that could be considered to be causing some parties detriment on the basis if their race and/or ethnicity. Furthermore, we should consider active measures to encourage others to take the same position. Sincerely, You can call me Bill esquire.
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

I am with QDK on this as forcing people do do this is just rubbish, but if the Mumbai Inds made it compulsory would he stop the $M contract.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Masterji wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:52 pm I am with QDK on this as forcing people do do this is just rubbish, but if the Mumbai Inds made it compulsory would he stop the $M contract.
Or what if they said you must wear batting pads to show your support for anti racism? :D
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

You can call me Bill wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:39 pm This thread could get very messy.

I'm just going to express my full support for De Kock. He's a very brave guy as no doubt he'll become heavily targeted (in a country where racially motivated murders of people with white skin are far from unknown), but he's right to take a stand for his liberty of thought and action, and his right to protest as he sees fit.

It's a shame that others weren't brave enough to join him, but understandable all the same.
Agree good man Quinton De Kock. Do people really believe there will be a big hill to die on not just a massive amount of small hills?
You can call me Bill

Zakar wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:31 pm

- Shame on racism
- Racism stinks

or whatever

Anyway, Emma's on.

Nice work.
usermame

Post by usermame »

sorCrer wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:59 pm “It’s everyone’s decision; no-one’s forced to do anything, not in life. That’s the way I see things.” ~ Quinton De Kock
I don't know, does he think he's not forced to leave the pitch when given out?
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

This is a weird one. SA cricket shouldn't force anyone to do it, but is it worth throwing away your international cricket career over it?
Woddy

Post by Woddy »

UncleFB wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:54 pm This is a weird one. SA cricket shouldn't force anyone to do it, but is it worth throwing away your international cricket career over it?
SA cricket: up to them (though I think they should not)

FdK: up to him (though I think he should not)

Let people have their own minds.
RoscoPColtrain

Post by RoscoPColtrain »

Isn’t ‘taking the knee’ gesture meant to specifically be to show shame/disrespect to the national anthem (ie. to instead of being proud of the national anthem display the opposite?).

No-one (I suspect) would be against making statements against racism or supporting initiatives promoting equality etc. but this isn’t just a generic anti-racism gesture, there is a very specific undertone behind it above just stopping racism.

I can totally understand why some people are against wearing their national colours and being forced to take a knee. I find it all verging on being a bit creepy, and counterproductive.

It’s even weirder seeing his teammates doing black power fists while this is going on.
Woddy

Post by Woddy »

RoscoPColtrain wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:53 am Isn’t ‘taking the knee’ gesture meant to specifically be to show shame/disrespect to the national anthem (ie. to instead of being proud of the national anthem display the opposite?).

No-one (I suspect) would be against making statements against racism or supporting initiatives promoting equality etc. but this isn’t just a generic anti-racism gesture, there is a very specific undertone behind it above just stopping racism.

I can totally understand why some people are against wearing their national colours and being forced to take a knee. I find it all verging on being a bit creepy, and counterproductive.

It’s even weirder seeing his teammates doing black power fists while this is going on.
Why? Perhaps they believe in that salute.
RoscoPColtrain

Post by RoscoPColtrain »

I just don’t think race based salutes lead to a very good place.
Norman Harvey

Post by Norman Harvey »

RoscoPColtrain wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:53 am Isn’t ‘taking the knee’ gesture meant to specifically be to show shame/disrespect to the national anthem (ie. to instead of being proud of the national anthem display the opposite?).

Taking the knee was not meant to show disrespect to the national anthem or the flag. It was just a protest at what was going on in his country. More a refusal to show deference to it until what it stood for became real for black people.
What in your opinion is this specific undertone you talk about. Please tell me more
Kaepernick explained his position stating, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder", referencing a series of African-American deaths caused by law enforcement that led to the Black Lives Matter movement and adding that he would continue to protest until he feels like "[the American flag] represents what it's supposed to represent".[116][117] It had gone largely unnoticed that Kaepernick was also sitting during the anthem in the previous two weeks, when he was inactive and not in uniform while recovering from injuries.[113][118]

In the 49ers' fourth and final preseason game, Kaepernick kneeled during the U.S. national anthem to show more respect to former and current U.S. military members while still protesting during the anthem after having a conversation with former NFL player and U.S. military veteran Nate Boyer.
Norman Harvey

Post by Norman Harvey »

RoscoPColtrain wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:21 am I just don’t think race based salutes lead to a very good place.
The fist salute as done by South Africans is their thing

RoscoPColtrain

Post by RoscoPColtrain »

The undertone is exactly what he said :

“ I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.”

That is showing the opposite of respect isn’t it? If you’re telling people to kneel, that is the specific statement they are being coerced into making.

It’s not simply “racism = bad” it’s a specific message with a specific undertone. Everyone has just been brainwashed into doing it without thinking.
Farva

Post by Farva »

The hate directed at Colin Kaepernick over that incident confused me.

I mean, he went out of his way to engage with veterans so as to come up with a protest that was not disrespectful while at the same time drew attention to his cause.

As for De Kock, absolutely with him for the right to not have to take a knee. It loses all meaning if players are required to do it. The South African cricket management are not switched on.

But why isn't he? Surely a better process would be to come out and say he does not agree to taking the knee because he is told to by the cricket community. Rather he will do it to show support to those challenging racism around the world, or something like that.
Not taking the knee and quitting over it is not a good look.
Norman Harvey

Post by Norman Harvey »

RoscoPColtrain wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:02 am The undertone is exactly what he said :

“ I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.”

That is showing the opposite of respect isn’t it? If you’re telling people to kneel, that is the specific statement they are being coerced into making.

It’s not simply “racism = bad” it’s a specific message with a specific undertone. Everyone has just been brainwashed into doing it without thinking.
It's not showing disrespect. As I said it's more a refusal to show deference to it until what it supposed to stand for for becomes real for black people. You seem to think it's binary and either you show respect or you disrespect the flag. What do you think of flag burning then. You think that is the same thing. You remind me of Drew Brees
Norman Harvey

Post by Norman Harvey »

Farva wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:09 am The hate directed at Colin Kaepernick over that incident confused me.

I mean, he went out of his way to engage with veterans so as to come up with a protest that was not disrespectful while at the same time drew attention to his cause.

As for De Kock, absolutely with him for the right to not have to take a knee. It loses all meaning if players are required to do it. The South African cricket management are not switched on.

But why isn't he? Surely a better process would be to come out and say he does not agree to taking the knee because he is told to by the cricket community. Rather he will do it to show support to those challenging racism around the world, or something like that.
Not taking the knee and quitting over it is not a good look.
As has already been pointed out previously on this thread. He always refuses to take the knee so it's not got anything to do with him being forced to. At the end of the day it should be his decision and if he does not want to say why he should not be pressured into doing so. It should be remembered it's less than two years ago the south African team voted unanimously not to take the knee. Seems like there has been pressure from above on them for some time.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

RoscoPColtrain wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:02 am The undertone is exactly what he said :

He's showing respect for the principles the flag is supposed to represent.
RoscoPColtrain

Post by RoscoPColtrain »

Norman Harvey wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:21 am

It's not showing disrespect. As I said it's more a refusal to show deference to it until what it supposed to stand for for becomes real for black people. You seem to think it's binary and either you show respect or you disrespect the flag. What do you think of flag burning then. You think that is the same thing. You remind me of Drew Brees
OK fine, if you want to go with that.

I can see why being forced to not show pride in the flag and anthem (or flag or anthem of another country which would be even more absurd) might grate a professional sportsman.

You could make anti-racism gestures without sending that specific message