OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

All things Rugby
bimboman

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by bimboman »

Also our FIntech companies list in London but they are Swedish. Do you count them as yours then even while all the money comes to Sweden? Like taking candy from a baby
Wrong, quite a bit of the money stays in the U.K. as commissions.

Now that’s taking candy from a baby.
Rocketz

Post by Rocketz »

bimboman wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:03 am
Also our FIntech companies list in London but they are Swedish. Do you count them as yours then even while all the money comes to Sweden? Like taking candy from a baby

Yeah nice that helps the working class...
Rocketz

Post by Rocketz »

shereblue wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:02 pm
Rocketz wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:21 pm Should I Stay or Should I Go? The Dilemma of a Conflicted Civil Servant

In December 2019, Alexandra Hall Hall resigned from her post as Brexit counselor at the British Embassy in Washington, DC. In this article, she writes about how she came to that decision and situates it in a broader discussion of principled resignation, giving examples from individuals who have been faced with the same choice.

https://tnsr.org/2021/10/should-i-stay- ... l-servant/
I skipped parts but an interesting read on both Iraq and Brexit. Depressing but hardly surprising.

Discretion is still a quality rightly required of the Civil Service (even if it has on occasion faltered or, more often, been betrayed by politicians' leaks).

But however confidential, objectivity is now superfluous to the role.

Dishonesty and spin has never been far from government (of either hue) here (or abroad).

What Hall discerns however, is that such is the "belief system" with which civil servants are now faced in their relations with Government, there is no remaining role for objective advice.

It's more American, where "political appointees" have long dominated. Believer-types here seem to prefer that but, to me, it's not really British.

Well worth a read, thanks. :thumbup:
I must say it is a great find. Brilliant article

Dont think brexiteers realise that they are supporting a government that has actually broken the (their own) law. And stating in public that they have the intention to break the law.

How do you work as a civil servant in a knowingly corrupt environment
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

And some of you wonder why the UK has a bad reputation in Ireland,
A former top British diplomat in Washington has accused Boris Johnson’s government of damagingly downplaying the impact of Brexit on Northern Ireland’s “delicate peace process” in statements intended for a US audience.

Alexandra Hall Hall, the lead Brexit envoy to the US who quit her job in late 2019 because she was unwilling to “peddle half-truths on behalf of a government I do not trust”, has condemned Johnson’s government for being “willfully disingenuous” in the official messages she was asked to deliver about Brexit in the US.

In a lengthy article published in a US academic journal, the former career diplomat excoriated the UK government for downplaying the cost and impact of Brexit in “public talking points” aimed at presenting the official British government line in Washington.

“They downplayed the increased friction that was likely for businesses trading between the United Kingdom and the EU countries as well as third countries such as the United States, ” wrote Ms Hall Hall in the Texas National Security Review journal.

“But, most damagingly, the talking points also downplayed the consequences of Brexit for the delicate peace process in Northern Ireland, in which the United States was a core stakeholder, having helped to broker the Good Friday agreement and supported it since then,” she wrote.

Ms Hall Hall wrote that one colleague at the UK embassy in Washington working on Northern Ireland was “nearly in tears” as he “could not get his minister to register the enormous damage that would be done to the fabric of Northern Ireland, politically and economically, if the United Kingdom left the European Union without a deal.”

“A low point for me was when I heard a senior British minister openly and offensively, in front of a US audience, dismiss the impact of a ‘no deal’ Brexit on Irish businesses as just affecting ‘a few farmers with turnips in the back of their trucks,” she wrote.

The former diplomat said that when she was asked to brief American businesses with significant investments in the UK, she struggled to maintain the line that there would be “no harmful consequences” for them if the UK left the EU without a deal.

“I found it hard to brush aside the concerns of congressional aides working for members of the Irish-American caucus,” she wrote.

“Sometimes I had no answers to the questions that US stakeholders posed to me. The internal dissonance became acute: the professional ethos of the British Diplomatic Service was that we were upstanding civil servants, steeped in integrity, who never told lies.

“And yet, that was precisely what I was being asked to do.”

Ms Hall Hall, a former British ambassador to Georgia, was Britain’s Brexit counsellor in the US from 2018 to December 2019 when she resigned.

She said she stepped down because she was asked to convey messages that were “neither fully honest nor politically impartial” to US representatives and politicians.

In her resignation letter published at the time, she said that her position had become “unbearable personally” and “untenable professionally.”
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politic ... -1.4711626

EDIT Thinking about it, what's the betting that the "senior British minister" was BoJo? It sounds like something he'd say, and he was foreign minister between 2016 and 2018 in Mays administration, which is the right timeline. And it would also explain US politicians dubiousness about the UK's intentions wrt NI/Ireland generally.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Rocketz wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:54 am
bimboman wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:03 am

Yeah nice that helps the working class...

Considering the tax paid on the earnings, yes it does,
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

shereblue wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:02 pm
Rocketz wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:21 pm Should I Stay or Should I Go? The Dilemma of a Conflicted Civil Servant

In December 2019, Alexandra Hall Hall resigned from her post as Brexit counselor at the British Embassy in Washington, DC. In this article, she writes about how she came to that decision and situates it in a broader discussion of principled resignation, giving examples from individuals who have been faced with the same choice.

https://tnsr.org/2021/10/should-i-stay- ... l-servant/
I skipped parts but an interesting read on both Iraq and Brexit. Depressing but hardly surprising.

Discretion is still a quality rightly required of the Civil Service (even if it has on occasion faltered or, more often, been betrayed by politicians' leaks).

But however confidential, objectivity is now superfluous to the role.

Dishonesty and spin has never been far from government (of either hue) here (or abroad).

What Hall discerns however, is that such is the "belief system" with which civil servants are now faced in their relations with Government, there is no remaining role for objective advice.

It's more American, where "political appointees" have long dominated. Believer-types here seem to prefer that but, to me, it's not really British.

Well worth a read, thanks. :thumbup:
A very interesting perspective from a career diplomat/civil servant.
picked up by the Irish Times this morning.....https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/b ... -1.4711626
Last edited by The Sun God on Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Container and trailer traffic between GB and Dublin Port down 21% in the first 9 months of the year, mostly compensated by an increase of 36% in trade between Continental ports and Dublin, leading to an overall decline in the number of containers and trailers using the port of 0.5% in the same period.

https://www.thejournal.ie/brexit-dublin ... 5-Oct2021/

The big boats must be working, Bimbo. :nod:
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

camroc1 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:02 am Container and trailer traffic between GB and Dublin Port down 21% in the first 9 months of the year, mostly compensated by an increase of 36% in trade between Continental ports and Dublin, leading to an overall decline in the number of containers and trailers using the port of 0.5% in the same period.

I think it's great, not so sure about the extra costs it involves and the price of goods being raised in an already expensive country, but I'm sure you guys can afford it.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

DAC, the cost of transport may be more, but importers are finding that a lot of it is compensated for by cutting out the GB middleman.
La soule

Post by La soule »

camroc1 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:24 am And some of you wonder why the UK has a bad reputation in Ireland,
A former top British diplomat in Washington has accused Boris Johnson’s government of damagingly downplaying the impact of Brexit on Northern Ireland’s “delicate peace process” in statements intended for a US audience.

Alexandra Hall Hall, the lead Brexit envoy to the US who quit her job in late 2019 because she was unwilling to “peddle half-truths on behalf of a government I do not trust”, has condemned Johnson’s government for being “willfully disingenuous” in the official messages she was asked to deliver about Brexit in the US.

In a lengthy article published in a US academic journal, the former career diplomat excoriated the UK government for downplaying the cost and impact of Brexit in “public talking points” aimed at presenting the official British government line in Washington.

“They downplayed the increased friction that was likely for businesses trading between the United Kingdom and the EU countries as well as third countries such as the United States, ” wrote Ms Hall Hall in the Texas National Security Review journal.

“But, most damagingly, the talking points also downplayed the consequences of Brexit for the delicate peace process in Northern Ireland, in which the United States was a core stakeholder, having helped to broker the Good Friday agreement and supported it since then,” she wrote.

Ms Hall Hall wrote that one colleague at the UK embassy in Washington working on Northern Ireland was “nearly in tears” as he “could not get his minister to register the enormous damage that would be done to the fabric of Northern Ireland, politically and economically, if the United Kingdom left the European Union without a deal.”

“A low point for me was when I heard a senior British minister openly and offensively, in front of a US audience, dismiss the impact of a ‘no deal’ Brexit on Irish businesses as just affecting ‘a few farmers with turnips in the back of their trucks,” she wrote.

The former diplomat said that when she was asked to brief American businesses with significant investments in the UK, she struggled to maintain the line that there would be “no harmful consequences” for them if the UK left the EU without a deal.

“I found it hard to brush aside the concerns of congressional aides working for members of the Irish-American caucus,” she wrote.

“Sometimes I had no answers to the questions that US stakeholders posed to me. The internal dissonance became acute: the professional ethos of the British Diplomatic Service was that we were upstanding civil servants, steeped in integrity, who never told lies.

“And yet, that was precisely what I was being asked to do.”

Ms Hall Hall, a former British ambassador to Georgia, was Britain’s Brexit counsellor in the US from 2018 to December 2019 when she resigned.

She said she stepped down because she was asked to convey messages that were “neither fully honest nor politically impartial” to US representatives and politicians.

In her resignation letter published at the time, she said that her position had become “unbearable personally” and “untenable professionally.”
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politic ... -1.4711626

EDIT Thinking about it, what's the betting that the "senior British minister" was BoJo? It sounds like something he'd say, and he was foreign minister between 2016 and 2018 in Mays administration, which is the right timeline. And it would also explain US politicians dubiousness about the UK's intentions wrt NI/Ireland generally.
THe UK have a bad reputation, and not only in Ireland.

That article is pretty damming. That government is not to be trusted.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

No no La Soule this is actually a massive win for the U.K. okay.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

Rocketz wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:17 am
earl the beaver wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:01 am
DragsterDriver wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:38 am Binary choice during flood events, shit in the hallway or shit in the Thames.
Or force the water companies to invest in their infrastructure (something they are meant to be doing) to minimise the need to do this. But no, allow them to take the profits out and not invest so they can pump shit into rivers.
Thats not how capitalism works
That was the case on Monday.

The next day, a massive U turn by the Cult recognised the merits of the amendment and made fools of its lemming-like followers who had virtually all opposed it. Because.

The effect:

A welcome degree of rapprochement to EU water standards.

Privatised companies retain their profits from their monopoly service.

Funding to be sourced not from the shareholders or the taxpayer (according to income) but from the captive consumer through staggered, inflationary price rises, more akin to a flat tax.
Last edited by shereblue on Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La soule

Post by La soule »

So much winning Duff. The people of Britain are starting to have enough of it and are begging for it to stop!
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

La soule wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:23 pm So much winning Duff. The people of Britain are starting to have enough of it and are begging for it to stop!
What are you going to spend your E100 on, La Soule?
The French goverrnment is to make a 100-euro payment to all those in earning a net monthly income of no more than 2,000 euros, representing around 38 million people, in a move prompted by soaring energy costs and, argue some observers, the threat of mass discontent six months before presidential and legislative elections
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

DAC_ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:58 pm
La soule wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:23 pm So much winning Duff. The people of Britain are starting to have enough of it and are begging for it to stop!
The French goverrnment is to make a 100-euro payment to all those in earning a net monthly income of no more than 2,000 euros, representing around 38 million people, in a move prompted by soaring energy costs and, argue some observers, the threat of mass discontent six months before presidential and legislative elections
Is that meant to be a putdown on the French government? :?
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

feckwanker wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:03 pm
No, it was a direct question to La Soule about what he's going to spend his free argent on, my guess is crepes.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

DAC_ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:05 pm
No, it was a direct question to La Soule about what he's going to spend his free argent on, my guess is crepes.
Sour grapes surely?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

camroc1 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:02 am Container and trailer traffic between GB and Dublin Port down 21% in the first 9 months of the year, mostly compensated by an increase of 36% in trade between Continental ports and Dublin, leading to an overall decline in the number of containers and trailers using the port of 0.5% in the same period.

That’s one way to comment on a fall off in trade.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

camroc1 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:09 am DAC, the cost of transport may be more, but importers are finding that a lot of it is compensated for by cutting out the GB middleman.
Middle men? The starbucks at keele service station you mean?
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

bimboman wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:19 pm

That’s one way to comment on a fall off in trade.
At one port
La soule

Post by La soule »

EUR100 you say.

I reckon some nice Irish whiskey.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Today’s budget very positive. UK coming out if the pandemic well. Several references to now be able to do things that the EU prevented.

Autumn Budget 2021: Key points at-a-gl ... s-59063816
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Bernard Manning is in the house lads. The French wha’, billed in’ frogs legs
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

terryfinch wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:42 pm Today’s budget very positive. UK coming out if the pandemic well. Several references to now be able to do things that the EU prevented.

Another triumph by jove! That’ll show those bloody foreigners who’s boss
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

La soule wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:41 pm
EUR100 you say.

I'm not saying it. French Prime Minister, Jean Castex, said it.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

terryfinch wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:42 pm Today’s budget very positive. UK coming out if the pandemic well. Several references to now be able to do things that the EU prevented.

Sunlit uplands getting closer

DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

Duff Paddy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:44 pm

We've raised the Min Living wage to £10.50, which, I believe, is the highest in the developed world and will no doubt benefit the 4 million plus EU nationals who decided to accept the privilege to stay in the UK after we left the EU.

But no, "bloody foreigners"
La soule

Post by La soule »

DAC_ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:45 pm

EUR100 you say.

Nice guy don't you think?

I am sure you could find one guy like that back home if you looked hard enough.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

La soule wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:52 pm
EUR100 you say.

Given our minimum wage rise - it equates to about a £1000 a year increase in wages for someone working 35 hours a week.
La soule

Post by La soule »

DAC_ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:59 pm

EUR100 you say.

Given our minimum wage rise - it equates to about a £1000 a year increase in wages for someone working 35 hours a week.
SMIC has also been reviewed here in the last month.

Glad to see you still can log on the internet and that electricity is still available in the land of sunny uplands :thumbup:
Rocketz

Post by Rocketz »

Kein Spaß für Großbritanniens sparsame Konservative

https://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/202 ... gle.com%2F
Rocketz

Post by Rocketz »

EUR100 you say.

So less than inflation will take in higher prices?
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

DAC_ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:51 pm

We've raised the Min Living wage to £10.50, which, I believe, is the highest in the developed world and will no doubt benefit the 4 million plus EU nationals who decided to accept the privilege to stay in the UK after we left the EU.

The privilege :lol: they’re keeping the lights on in your country
Rocketz

Post by Rocketz »

DAC_ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:51 pm

Still have a government that has broken the law
La soule

Post by La soule »

EUR100 you say.

What does that mean in reality?

The £20 weekly cut meant every one of the 5.8 million people on UC lost around £1,000 a year.

The new taper rate would reintroduce a similar amount for 40% of those who work and claim the benefit.
Some don't lose a lot.

Some lose a lot.

™GlobalBritain
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

The Cult's levelling up budget heralding a "new age of optimism" for the UK

Shared Prosperity Fund allocation for 2020-2025: £2.6bn

EU Structural Fund UK allocation for 2016-2020: £7.7bn
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

shereblue wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:40 pm The Cult's levelling up budget heralding a "new age of optimism" for the UK

I'm all for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCOSPtyZAPA
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

The 20 quid was an emergency payment for a pandemic that’s now over , there’s over a million jobs available... another “misunderstanding “
La soule

Post by La soule »

bimboman wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:42 pm The 20 quid was an emergency payment for a pandemic that’s now over , there’s over a million jobs available... another “misunderstanding “
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41487126
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

shereblue wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:40 pm The Cult's levelling up budget heralding a "new age of optimism" for the UK

As much as I hate Brexit and the government you aren't comparing apples with apples there.