The most equal league goes wonky

All things Rugby
TheFrog

The most equal league goes wonky

Post by TheFrog »

Referring to the piece of writing with the same title in PR, I did not realize that the Premiership has moved to a no relegation scheme.

PR seems to imply that, as a result of this new organization, clubs are more inclined to blood young players or rest injured players longer allowing them to nurse their injuries properly. They imply that this leads to stupid scorelines such as 50pts gap in a few games.

Now, I am curious to have the English fans view on this. For sure, this may make the viewing less exciting if you know one of the team is throwing the game away with other objectives in mind. It may also result in teams losing the habit of battling in every game and living under pressure which, comes European games or International games, may weaken the players and their ability to cope with the demand of competitive games.

However, on the other hand, that can only benefit English rugby long term, with healthier, fitter players and youths gathering plenty of top level experience. Is this the receipe to English domination on the International stage?
eldanielfire

Re: The most equal league goes wonky

Post by eldanielfire »

Yeah, I see both sides to it. Clubs can make longer term decisions and give players better chances.

I know relegation is said to improve excitement for the whole league, however in the majority of seasons in England it's mostly just been a battle of one team, e.g. no real battle. There have been a few seasons of relegation excitement, but that is it.
CanNZ2000

Post by CanNZ2000 »

I wish there was relegation in NA sports but there is no history of it and now implementing it now would never work. Whoever ends up in the '2nd tier' would stay there forever as all the money would go straight to the top tier.
madman

Post by madman »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:31 pm Yeah, I see both sides to it. Clubs can make longer term decisions and give players better chances.

I know relegation is said to improve excitement for the whole league, however in the majority of seasons in England it's mostly just been a battle of one team, e.g. no real battle. There have been a few seasons of relegation excitement, but that is it.
It has allowed teams to come up such as Exeter, but many clubs that came up i.e Rotherham vanished eventually once the money ran out,
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

madman wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:39 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:31 pm Yeah, I see both sides to it. Clubs can make longer term decisions and give players better chances.

It has allowed teams to come up such as Exeter, but many clubs that came up i.e Rotherham vanished eventually once the money ran out,
Yeah, but I suspect there won't ever be another Exeter and geographically the league is reasonable balanced now.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Are the games less exciting because of the long term planning of the clubs?
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

CanNZ2000 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:32 pm I wish there was relegation in NA sports but there is no history of it and now implementing it now would never work. Whoever ends up in the '2nd tier' would stay there forever as all the money would go straight to the top tier.
Promotion and relegation is not the norm in pro-sport. It is just that countries with football (soccer) histories somehow impute that it is. It doesn't make a lot of sense from a business perspective

In reality, as noted, in the Premiership and I'd imagine not too different in Top14 in France, the majority of teams in the top flight are fairly stable and most changes happen when one sugar daddy runs out of patience and another one suddenly feels the urge to spunk their cash instead