DUNE MOVIE 2019: It could be epic...

All things Rugby
lemonhead

Re: DUNE MOVIE 2019: It could be epic...

Post by lemonhead »

Whatever about his frame, the guy has to convincingly best Javier Bardem for control of a military tribe who live in the desert, drink their own body fluids and trained to fight practically from birth.

You can't just stick Michael Cera in there and add some CGI stubble.
DOB

Post by DOB »

lemonhead wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:04 pm Whatever about his frame, the guy has to convincingly best Javier Bardem for control of a military tribe who live in the desert, drink their own body fluids and trained to fight practically from birth.

You can't just stick Michael Cera in there and add some CGI stubble.
He also has to start out as the wet blanket who prefers watching his video books to his combat training (an obvious difference between him and John Snuuurrrr, the know-nothing bastard, who was already one of the best swordsmen in Winterfell as a teenager). If you put Taylor Lautner in, the whole surprise of him acing the Gom Jabbar test at the start is lost.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

He's meant to look lithe and lethal (though very hesitant/nervous about tapping into that), rather than athletic bulldozer who manshames prison style.

Thought Timothee pulled it off well.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Also Rebecca Fergusson, is ridiculously, painfully beautiful.
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

CanNZ2000 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:14 pm
FullbackAce wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:04 pm Finally got around to watching it, I was holding off on books because I wanted to see the movie first. Now I can finally get on with it.

Firstly I love Denis Villeneuve's style. Slow pacing and visual worldbuilding are great and not too many directors do it these days. It's a great style when you're introducing a large fictional universe, it gives you time to think and soak everything in. I loved BR2049 a bit more than this though, maybe because I was already familiar with that world.

The only thing I didn't really like was the Paul Atreties actor. I think he's a discount version of GOT Jon Snow's actor. At least that dude put some muscle on and worked on his fighting/choreography so he made a believable hero. This guy is just a skinny kid that moves way too awkwardly and sounds like a softie. I just couldn't think of him as a hero character.

Other than that it was great, there's a lot that I didn't understand about the world but I guess it's expected with a huge world such as dune.

Also, I have to take into account that GOT and Expanse sort of ruined these kinds of movies for me. Series just do such a great job of flashing out these worlds that any movie even such slow-paced looks rushed and incomplete next to them. They simply have to cut too much material and leave too many gaps in knowledge which later have to be filled in by the book.

Still the best movie I've seen since BR2049.
I have only seen him in 'The King' and I didn't care for him in that. Will still go watch this movie but he ain't in my top 100 list of favourite actors by any means. I am curious to see how he does though, maybe he will change my opinion of him but I am not holding my breath.
Tbf he's pretty much as described in the books so there's that.
CanNZ2000

Post by CanNZ2000 »

flaggETERNAL wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:57 pm
CanNZ2000 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:14 pm
FullbackAce wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:04 pm Finally got around to watching it, I was holding off on books because I wanted to see the movie first. Now I can finally get on with it.

Firstly I love Denis Villeneuve's style. Slow pacing and visual worldbuilding are great and not too many directors do it these days. It's a great style when you're introducing a large fictional universe, it gives you time to think and soak everything in. I loved BR2049 a bit more than this though, maybe because I was already familiar with that world.

The only thing I didn't really like was the Paul Atreties actor. I think he's a discount version of GOT Jon Snow's actor. At least that dude put some muscle on and worked on his fighting/choreography so he made a believable hero. This guy is just a skinny kid that moves way too awkwardly and sounds like a softie. I just couldn't think of him as a hero character.

Other than that it was great, there's a lot that I didn't understand about the world but I guess it's expected with a huge world such as dune.

Also, I have to take into account that GOT and Expanse sort of ruined these kinds of movies for me. Series just do such a great job of flashing out these worlds that any movie even such slow-paced looks rushed and incomplete next to them. They simply have to cut too much material and leave too many gaps in knowledge which later have to be filled in by the book.

Still the best movie I've seen since BR2049.
I have only seen him in 'The King' and I didn't care for him in that. Will still go watch this movie but he ain't in my top 100 list of favourite actors by any means. I am curious to see how he does though, maybe he will change my opinion of him but I am not holding my breath.
Tbf he's pretty much as described in the books so there's that.
My issue is with the actor himself. I understand what everyone has said and they are right. He is someone who starts off that way and grows into his 'destiny.' I am glad they are portraying him that way too.
FullbackAce

Post by FullbackAce »

Floppykid wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:52 pm
FullbackAce wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:49 pm
Margin_Walker wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:25 pm That's interesting. I like Timothée Chalamet and find him a far more compelling screen presence than someone like Kit Harington. Thought his casting worked well in this.

Each to their own though.
Yea It's just my opinion, not seen him before so I couldn't tell you about his acting chops but here he walked around with one sour expression frozen on his face most of the movie, immediately reminded me of Kit Harrington, but as I said at least KH looked like he could kick some arse. This kid killing that Fremen or fighting off Josh Brolin looked downright comical, he can't even pretend to move like a fighter, but I guess that's my problem for paying too much attention to such details.
The character is meant to be young and lithe, rather than roid head Jon Snow tbh.
The only thing that changes is that my issue becomes more about the book. Whether the skinny emo dude suddenly becoming a ufc champ and leader of the Hashshashin was Herbert's writing or Villeneuve's vision it's a bit immersion-breaking either way. Plus even if it was, they changed a million things, a few more ounces of muscle on a guy supposedly trained by the best in the galaxy wouldn't have hurt. :thumbup:

Either way, it's not as big of a deal as the response it got here. I was just pointing out the only thing that broke my immersion throughout the movie.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Margin_Walker wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:25 pm That's interesting. I like Timothée Chalamet and find him a far more compelling screen presence than someone like Kit Harington. Thought his casting worked well in this.

Would agree.
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

FullbackAce wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:12 pm
Floppykid wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:52 pm
FullbackAce wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:49 pm

Yea It's just my opinion, not seen him before so I couldn't tell you about his acting chops but here he walked around with one sour expression frozen on his face most of the movie, immediately reminded me of Kit Harrington, but as I said at least KH looked like he could kick some arse. This kid killing that Fremen or fighting off Josh Brolin looked downright comical, he can't even pretend to move like a fighter, but I guess that's my problem for paying too much attention to such details.
The character is meant to be young and lithe, rather than roid head Jon Snow tbh.
The only thing that changes is that my issue becomes more about the book. Whether the skinny emo dude suddenly becoming a ufc champ and leader of the Hashshashin was Herbert's writing or Villeneuve's vision it's a bit immersion-breaking either way. Plus even if it was, they changed a million things, a few more ounces of muscle on a guy supposedly trained by the best in the galaxy wouldn't have hurt. :thumbup:

Either way, it's not as big of a deal as the response it got here. I was just pointing out the only thing that broke my immersion throughout the movie.
UFC champ he is absolutely not in the book, the test as from the very beginning on Caladan is mental.

Though trained as well as Jonsnur, his first real combat starts with refusal, plays out with reluctance and ends with him in tears at the act of killing. Chani actually takes over from him after that. His control of the tribe comes through thought, calculation and overthrowing their tradition by words, charisma and persuasion. His growth to leader of an unstoppable Jihad also comes with a loss of compassion and humanity: think Bran meets Michael Corleone.

Poisoned chalice of a role really. The actor doesn't have to throw people through walls, he has to be young, inexperienced, talented, vulnerable and then iron willed, Machievellian and a convincing leader of men. No f**king choreography, snappy script or shaky cam can sort that out, you either have it or you don't.

Think the film has to ditch a fair bit of this to work, Lynch tried voiceovers and failed. And died.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Yeah, I made the point earlier in the thread, Tim’s character in The King was pretty good prep for this role; in The King he was a womanising drunk not interested in fighting, but thrust into the warrior-king role after his brother died. In Dune, he’s a bookish nerdy mummy’s boy not interested in fighting until thrust into the warrior-duke role after his dad died. Not dissimilar story arc, just with different weapons tech.

They should cast Robert Pattinson as Feyd so we can have a rematch of their battle in the mud.
The Native

Post by The Native »

I haven't read the books. Tried a few time but abandoned at various times. But I really enjoyed the film without having to much of a preconceived notion of what was going to happen up to a certain point.

Surprisingly I enjoyed Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho. My main gripe with Momoa was that he just played a version of himself role to role, much like Samuel L Jackson. Can't say I found any of the character unengaging.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Idaho didn’t have a big role in the book, so really Momoa got to come on-set, be action hero, collect cheque. I thought he did it well.
AnkleTap

Post by AnkleTap »

Why did that sandworm just stop instead of eating them then? What was that about? 2/10 wnb.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

AnkleTap wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:32 pm Why did that sandworm just stop instead of eating them then? What was that about? 2/10 wnb.
They jumped onto the rock, plus sandworm realises he the man.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

AnkleTap wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:32 pm Why did that sandworm just stop instead of eating them then? What was that about? 2/10 wnb.
Would not bite?
AnkleTap

Post by AnkleTap »

LandOTurk wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:54 pm
In the book they cower in a crevasse while the worm tears the living shit out of the rocks to get at them. Yet this worm stops and just stands there. I literally died of disgust.

I respawned to add the scene with Jamis was cool. You fear for Paul at the start of the fight, much the same way you feel for the Welsh when they play the All Blacks. By the end however you feel sorry for Jamis for being so completely out matched.

Go Wales!
pigsy

Post by pigsy »

Thanks to this thread I am taking Piglet (those who remember me may be surprised to know that he is now 15!) to see Dune tomorrow. I have all the books ready to shove in his face as soon as we get home :D .

Paul Atreides is 15 years old at the start of the novels and is meant to be a callow youth trained in the Bene Gesserit ways with some training from Gurney. He's not hench and in any fight in the books you were worried for him. Certainly in the duel with Feyd Paul was considered to be the lesser fighter.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

After a part of a rewatch, I'm now coming to the opinion that it's actually not very good in many ways. It's a bunch of very very pretty visuals, a good looking and charismatic cast and....not even half a story populated by characters who are nothing but plot elements with no development whatsoever.

Did like this bit though

Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

For those stuck at home like me (and no movie theaters open) my friend says this link works well for the small screen

aa01.net
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Got a HBO subscription to watch Dune again and a few more TV series I have been wanting to watch (from now until year end).

Enjoyed it more in the cinema but it was still epic. The Atreides family setting foot on Arakis for the first time was probably the most impressive piece.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Dune related:
Not been to the loo for 2 days, with some slight constipation.
Think I just dropped a full grown sandworm into the abyss.
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

Drowning the worm's only half of it. You must drink deep from that bowl the Water of Life.

See you in three days.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

lemonhead wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:47 pm Drowning the worm's only half of it. You must drink deep from that bowl the Water of Life.

See you in three days.
Just gave it a go. It didn't taste very nice, I have halitosis and starting to feel unwell. Is that how its supposed to go?!? I was expecting to fall into a deep trance, but not a sign of it.
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

Think you're supposed wait until 12 more of the fuckers sprout from the earth and start worshipping you.

Sean Young's a 50/50.
DragonKhan

Post by DragonKhan »

Saw Dune today with my kids. It was fantastic. I've not come out of a Cinema with such a deep sense of "this is only going to get better" since LOTR. Fantastic film and acting by all
Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert »

I saw the movie last night, enjoyed it muchly, some of the cinematography outstanding and I'm very grateful that I lived long enough to see the story done properly...

But

Just like when I read the book for the first time in the 60s (aged 15), I was disappointed with the 'science'. For me the whole saga is more a greek/roman/egyptian soap opera set in another solar system than an SF theme. The BG good witch/bad witch thing, the 'magic is needed to navigate the stars' thing and the 'not every alien creature is green' thing had all been done to death already by the time the book was published.

Dune, the novel, is great SF but fantasy not fiction.

Having said the above, can't wait (literally might not be around for) for movie parts 2 & 3
Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert »

LandOTurk wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:39 pmDune related:
Not been to the loo for 2 days, with some slight constipation.
Think I just dropped a full grown sandworm into the abyss.
:lol: :lol: Having suffered from Crohn's for 40 plus years I truly feel your pain
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Fat Albert wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:46 am I saw the movie last night, enjoyed it muchly, some of the cinematography outstanding and I'm very grateful that I lived long enough to see the story done properly...

But

Just like when I read the book for the first time in the 60s (aged 15), I was disappointed with the 'science'. For me the whole saga is more a greek/roman/egyptian soap opera set in another solar system than an SF theme. The BG good witch/bad witch thing, the 'magic is needed to navigate the stars' thing and the 'not every alien creature is green' thing had all been done to death already by the time the book was published.

Dune, the novel, is great SF but fantasy not fiction.

Having said the above, can't wait (literally might not be around for) for movie parts 2 & 3
Is it in 2 or 3 parts? I thought 2.

Not wanting to pry, but you sound like you have some terminal illness. Sincere best wishes to you, if so.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Did anyone see Josh Brolin's character die? I've seen the movie twice now, and I still cant recall it. Cheers.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

What was your favourite part of the movie?

For me it was when the Atreides family landed on Arrakis and walked out from the ship among their own people. The sense of dread mixed with excitement they faced was pretty palpable. Excellent stuff.
DOB

Post by DOB »

LandOTurk wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:32 pm Did anyone see Josh Brolin's character die? I've seen the movie twice now, and I still cant recall it. Cheers.
I didn’t see him, or Thurfir Hawat, die, and I can’t remember from the books if they show up in the 2nd half.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I read the books decades ago but I'm not a superfan. Thought it was a dull as fuck movie interspersed with some neat action. It's quite obviously setting up for the other movies but I found it utterly tedious at times. It has potential to be the Twilight saga for middle aged men.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

DOB wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:00 am
LandOTurk wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:32 pm Did anyone see Josh Brolin's character die? I've seen the movie twice now, and I still cant recall it. Cheers.
I didn’t see him, or Thurfir Hawat, die, and I can’t remember from the books if they show up in the 2nd half.
They do but there is no Cat Milking :nod:
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

DOB wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:00 am
Spoiler: show
Both are still alive. Thuffir gets recruited by the Harkonnens of all people and Gurney takes up with smugglers
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

Thomas wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:08 am I read the books decades ago but I'm not a superfan. Thought it was a dull as fuck movie interspersed with some neat action. It's quite obviously setting up for the other movies but I found it utterly tedious at times. It has potential to be the Twilight saga for middle aged men.
Is this part of your act Thomas because IT'S NOT FCUKIN FUNNY MAAAAAATE!

:lol:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

flaggETERNAL wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:11 am
Thomas wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:08 am I read the books decades ago but I'm not a superfan. Thought it was a dull as fuck movie interspersed with some neat action. It's quite obviously setting up for the other movies but I found it utterly tedious at times. It has potential to be the Twilight saga for middle aged men.
Is this part of your act Thomas because IT'S NOT FCUKIN FUNNY MAAAAAATE!

It was visually stunning but I probably wasn't in the mood for that kind of movie. My 9yo loved it despite not having any idea what was going on. My wife called it the most boring movie she has ever seen. She's never read the books or seen the old movie but she found it utterly predictable. I agreed with her there...the same trope has been used ad nauseum by other movies which were probably influenced by the original Dune books. It'll turn into Avatar with Sand.

I'll try and watch it again. Maybe.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Absolutely amazing, brilliant sci-fi. So epic
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

Floppykid wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:55 pm Also Rebecca Fergusson, is ridiculously, painfully beautiful.
I thought she was going to get them out at one point when she made Paul turn around.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

earl the beaver wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:21 pm
Floppykid wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:55 pm Also Rebecca Fergusson, is ridiculously, painfully beautiful.
I thought she was going to get them out at one point when she made Paul turn around.
Nah, unfortunately it's got it's PG cert.
No way China would play it otherwise.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

AnkleTap wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:12 pm
LandOTurk wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:54 pm
In the book they cower in a crevasse while the worm tears the living shit out of the rocks to get at them. Yet this worm stops and just stands there. I literally died of disgust.

I respawned to add the scene with Jamis was cool. You fear for Paul at the start of the fight, much the same way you feel for the Welsh when they play the All Blacks. By the end however you feel sorry for Jamis for being so completely out matched.

Go Wales!
I read the books (at east some of them) around 40 years ago. Forgotten most of it.