All things Rugby
bimboman

Re: It's official, Sweden declare themselves the Covid winners

Post by bimboman »

6.Jones wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:48 pm
bimboman wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:47 pm
6.Jones wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:44 pm
bimboman wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:34 pm
6.Jones wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:31 pm The poster child for lockdowns is Western Australia. I'm not being a fanboi, only a satisfied beneficiary. We had a particularly stringent lockdown, with $50k fines for crossing prohibited borders. With no influx of people, the virus was controlled and then disappeared. Now there's no virus, and we're maintaining strict border controls, in the face of pressure from the national government to relax them. And there's no economic downturn. Life is normal. The downside of course is that when we open our borders the virus will come flooding back in. But we can wait until a vaccine is developed. There's no obvious reason why we should experience it here.

“Life is normal”

“We have closed our borders”

Ffs
I'll make it plain. No one has Covid. No one is dying of Covid. And we have strong economic growth. You can still leave and get in. You just have to have a good reason - drinking lager out of each others' front bottoms in Bali isn't a good reason - and quarantine for 14 days when you do. What's wrong with that picture?

“A good reason” , as decided by the state....

Let’s not keep pretending the new normal is right. While you say strong economic growth 10’s of millions are re entering absolute poverty and liberty is being taken away across the west.

There’s plenty wrong with the picture.
My point is it's not happening here, and that our approach might therefore be best.

You yourself says you need “good reason” for things, as decided by the authorities, so some of it is happening there.

The idea that we can suddenly endorse isolationism as the right thing to do is also very questionable.

What’s happening is horrendous.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

What's wrong with isolationism to control the disease? As long as business can still be conducted, all we lose is most personal travel. Bimbo, it seems you're anti any solution. I thought you were most concerned with the financial impact, but it seems that what concerns you the most is being controlled, and that thousands of deaths is the better alternative.
Last edited by 6.Jones on Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

6.Jones wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:56 pm What's wrong with isolationism to control the disease? As long as business can still be conducted, all we lose is most personal travel. Bimbo, it seems you're anti any solution. I thought you were most concerned with the financial impact, but it seems that what concerns you the most is being controlled, and that thousands of deaths is the better alternative.

I’m not anti any solution I am very pro some solutions, even measures of lockdowns if required for control. However the blank “aren’t we doing well” while f ucking others, your own business people and removing liberties to random state decisions is always in my view going to be horrendous.

At some point they’ll be (like all other health issues and disease ) a balance found that yes believe it or not includes some people dying. We are also now “saving” covid lives at the expense of cancer and other lives.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

bimboman wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:02 pm
6.Jones wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:56 pm What's wrong with isolationism to control the disease? As long as business can still be conducted, all we lose is most personal travel. Bimbo, it seems you're anti any solution. I thought you were most concerned with the financial impact, but it seems that what concerns you the most is being controlled, and that thousands of deaths is the better alternative.

I’m not anti any solution I am very pro some solutions, even measures of lockdowns if required for control. However the blank “aren’t we doing well” while f ucking others, your own business people and removing liberties to random state decisions is always in my view going to be horrendous.

At some point they’ll be (like all other health issues and disease ) a balance found that yes believe it or not includes some people dying. We are also now “saving” covid lives at the expense of cancer and other lives.
How am I f**king others?

How are our business people being f**ked. when we're not experiencing any downturn?

Are you saying Western Australia are f**king others? That's a long bow.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

6.Jones wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:03 pm

How am I f**king others?

How are our business people being f**ked. when we're not experiencing any downturn?

Your hotels are full? Airport workers busy?

No loss of business ? Well good for that.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

How has the FIFO economy been impacted in WA?
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

How am I f**king others?

Losing the immediacy of travel is a huge cost to individuals, business and society as a whole. To pretend otherwise is a nonsense. You have to accept there are trade offs to it.

You can be happy with those trade offs but they are what they are & (in my view) will become more pronounced in the next year or so as the inability to travel. I have a client right now looking for investment. The two weeks movement limit here (which is far less severe than where you are) is a huge impediment to investment, nobody invests in a manufacturing facility without seeing it.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:08 pm

How am I f**king others?

Losing the immediacy of travel is a huge cost to individuals, business and society as a whole. To pretend otherwise is a nonsense. You have to accept there are trade offs to it.

You can be happy with those trade offs but they are what they are & (in my view) will become more pronounced in the next year or so as the inability to travel. I have a client right now looking for investment. The two weeks movement limit here (which is far less severe than where you are) is a huge impediment to investment, nobody invests in a manufacturing facility without seeing it.
No-one invests in a manufacturing facility without having an expert look at it. That is the basis of the due diligence. You engage an expert locally to assess the technical status of the facility. A banker turning up wont know what they are seeing when visiting a high tech manufacturing facility.
That can be done remotely and I've been involved in the tech side of plenty where the investor is in another country and never visits.
Lack of travel is an issue. But we are a globally interconnected society and our digital footprint works. Many people work remotely and Covid is driving that even further. I think it will be much less of an issue as expected.
What will be affected is industries like tourism, hospitality, etc. But I think that will be a more pronounced shift as opposed to a temporary downturn.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

deadduck wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:35 pm How has the FIFO economy been impacted in WA?
It hasn't, as far as I know.

FIFO workers typically don't come from interstate. They are all based in Perth or regional towns.

WA is a good example but it's an outlier. Perth is the most remote city in the world. The population is small and confined to a corner of the state which is bigger than most countries.
Blackrock Bullet

Farva wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:45 pm
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:08 pm

How am I f**king others?

No-one invests in a manufacturing facility without having an expert look at it. That is the basis of the due diligence. You engage an expert locally to assess the technical status of the facility. A banker turning up wont know what they are seeing when visiting a high tech manufacturing facility.
That can be done remotely and I've been involved in the tech side of plenty where the investor is in another country and never visits.
Lack of travel is an issue. But we are a globally interconnected society and our digital footprint works. Many people work remotely and Covid is driving that even further. I think it will be much less of an issue as expected.
What will be affected is industries like tourism, hospitality, etc. But I think that will be a more pronounced shift as opposed to a temporary downturn.
Okay Farv, I know a bit on how transactions work.

I am telling you that there will not be investment until it happens, “local” experts or not.

That is the reality of business.

Pretend all you like that there will not be trade offs for decisions made and that these are adequate substitutes. They are some of the time, not all of the time.
Farva

Post by Farva »

I have no doubt that it will impact investment. Its difficult to negotiate when you are not together and I get people want to eyeball a plant.
What I am saying is that I am not seeing a slow down and that many of my clients in the transaction space, throughout SE and East Asia, and Australasia are still buying up assets. They dont necessarily go to sites before they purchase. They know these assets, they engage companies such as the one I work for to complete a due diligence review and then complete a purchase based on that. These purchases are in the USD10ms, USD100ms, even USD1bs at times.
Farva

Post by Farva »

I should add that is linked to the industry I work in, and the location I work in.
Zico

Post by Zico »

fudge Sweden!

There's a half dozen of those blue eyed fuckers stealing jobs from lazy unqualified Irish folk.

fudge Finland too!

The bastards..
kiap

Post by kiap »

Zico wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:57 am fudge Sweden!

There's a half dozen of those blue eyed fuckers stealing jobs from lazy unqualified Irish folk.

fudge Finland too!

The bastards..
Sweden, a country of cowardly collaborators.

Finland >>>>> Sweden
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

kiap wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:52 am

fudge Finland too!

The bastards..

Finland >>>>> Sweden
You might want to rethink that one considering what side of Barbarossa the Finns were on.
Blackrock Bullet

Farva wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:29 am I have no doubt that it will impact investment. Its difficult to negotiate when you are not together and I get people want to eyeball a plant.
What I am saying is that I am not seeing a slow down and that many of my clients in the transaction space, throughout SE and East Asia, and Australasia are still buying up assets. They dont necessarily go to sites before they purchase. They know these assets, they engage companies such as the one I work for to complete a due diligence review and then complete a purchase based on that. These purchases are in the USD10ms, USD100ms, even USD1bs at times.
My personal view is that it is now harming investment. Ask ticketless from the NAMA thread about him trying to get a few US scientists in to sign off on a new medical standard.

What I saw was about a month of pause from places before everything pushed ahead in April time. Those deals have closed or moved on with a new pipeline emerging. It is really only now that we are seeing issues and it is largely due to the lack of in person impact but other things coming into it as well. I could get into Italy for work a couple of months ago but practically cannot now. I think this is going to have a greater impact on emerging economies but it is going to impact western economies too.

It is at least a lost year at this point with lots of uncertainty ahead. You don't really feel the drag of investment for a couple of years in the economy.

Again, if we go back to Western Australia, it won't be felt now but is a cost accumulating. The costs right now are really social and mostly quiet for individuals losing the ability to travel freely & economically on the aviation sector (which is mitigated by Government interventions). The overall Kiwi and Australian policies have widespread support which is grand but there are costs to this that need to be acknowledged (and a level of risk as it relies on a vaccine).
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

6.Jones wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:44 pm
bimboman wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:34 pm
6.Jones wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:31 pm The poster child for lockdowns is Western Australia. I'm not being a fanboi, only a satisfied beneficiary. We had a particularly stringent lockdown, with $50k fines for crossing prohibited borders. With no influx of people, the virus was controlled and then disappeared. Now there's no virus, and we're maintaining strict border controls, in the face of pressure from the national government to relax them. And there's no economic downturn. Life is normal. The downside of course is that when we open our borders the virus will come flooding back in. But we can wait until a vaccine is developed. There's no obvious reason why we should experience it here.

“Life is normal”

“We have closed our borders”

Ffs
I'll make it plain. No one has Covid. No one is dying of Covid. And we have strong economic growth. You can still leave and get in. You just have to have a good reason - drinking lager out of each others' front bottoms in Bali isn't a good reason - and quarantine for 14 days when you do. We can still go to restaurants and socialise in an unlimited way. No one needs to wear masks. What's wrong with that picture?

You think open borders, masks, deaths and mass unemployment is better, because you're free?
I am wondering if the success we can learn from Oz/NZ is closing of borders being the more effective action than actual lockdowns? Europe's high and resurgent numbers may be post lockdown not keeping borders closed, both nationally and where there is internal, local epidemics.

I say this because for some reason the much vaulted 'test and trace' system to control the virus spread is even failing somewhat in Germany at the moment (the only EU country that could get it going early as fra as I'm aware), or it looks that way.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

UncleFB wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:41 am

fudge Finland too!

The bastards..

Finland >>>>> Sweden
You might want to rethink that one considering what side of Barbarossa the Finns were on.
:lol: I was gonna make the same point. :thumbup:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

bimboman wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:07 pm

You're acting like a dickhead, it's obvious life in Australia during COVID-19 is far closer to normal than most of the western world, by luck or design. It's obvious no one means there is no literal difference. You literally don't have to oppose that point due to some small areas of the Oz economy which won't affect most aussies regular lives who won't stay in hotels or fly abroad.
kiap

Post by kiap »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:10 am
UncleFB wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:41 am

fudge Finland too!

The bastards..

Finland >>>>> Sweden
:lol: I was gonna make the same point. :thumbup:
Sweden slunk around cashing-in on the war while the Finns fought the Russians across their border who had invaded their territory at the kick off of procedings.
towny

Post by towny »

Finns were tough as nails. No doubt.

But when you have swastikas on your planes? Er.... nah. I’m going for the Ruskies.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:13 am

You're acting like a dickhead, it's obvious life in Australia during COVID-19 is far closer to normal than most of the western world, by luck or design. It's obvious no one means there is no literal difference. You literally don't have to oppose that point due to some small areas of the Oz economy which won't affect most aussies regular lives who won't stay in hotels or fly abroad.

Victoria has been in a lockdown tighter than the UK for 200 days , you fact free throbber.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

How am I f**king others?

As Blackrock Bullet says, of course there are trade-offs. But the benefit of a strong economy combined with a low or zero infection rate means far fewer people lose their jobs. You know all this. You yourself made the point - strenuously - in the main coronavirus thread that death from the downturn might exceed the deaths from the disease.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

As Blackrock Bullet says, of course there are trade-offs. But the benefit of a strong economy combined with a low or zero infection rate means far fewer people lose their jobs. You know all this. You yourself made the point - strenuously - in the main coronavirus thread that death from the downturn might exceed the deaths from the disease.

Well done Australia the recorded falls in GDP won’t affect it.

The low infection rates won’t last for ever sadly though unless you permanently close your borders.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Weird to see Brexit types against isolationism.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Floppykid wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:12 pm Weird to see Brexit types against isolationism.
The UK is as committed now to the defence of Europe and NATO as it ever was. All that has happened is it's left the EU. That is not isolationism. The fact is the UK is one of the few European nations that actually fully honours it's commitment to NATO
Nato estimates for 2019 show there are now eight countries - in addition to the US - spending 2% or more of their GDP on defence.

Greece
UK
Estonia
Romania
Poland
Latvia
Lithuania
Bulgaria
Other European members spent an estimated 1% to 1.99% in 2019, with France spending 1.84% and Germany 1.38% of GDP.
Farva

Post by Farva »

bimboman wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:03 pm

The low infection rates won’t last for ever sadly though unless you permanently close your borders.
Our economy is dramatically outperforming the UK economy at the moment. We fell 7% in Q2 compared to the UKs 22.1%. I full appreciate that you are expecting a bounce back of potentially 15% in Q3, although with the second wave that might be at risk.
Having said that, Australia will bounce too.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Farva wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:23 am

Our economy is dramatically outperforming the UK economy at the moment. We fell 7% in Q2 compared to the UKs 22.1%. I full appreciate that you are expecting a bounce back of potentially 15% in Q3, although with the second wave that might be at risk.

Yay, who needs tourists and business visitors, just send things to China.
towny

Post by towny »

bimboman wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:45 am

And what is it that your country does?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

towny wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:17 am

Buy things from China.
towny

Post by towny »

bimboman wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:36 am
towny wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:17 am

Buy things from China.
And educate your kids to emigrate to Australia. Don't forget that!

It's the circle of Life.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:22 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:13 am

Victoria has been in a lockdown tighter than the UK for 200 days , you fact free throbber.
Because that is all of Australia....:lol:

Also multiple parts of the UK have been in lockdown these past months :lol:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Floppykid wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:12 pm Weird to see Brexit types against isolationism.
Bimbo is against anything that isn't a typical Tory right wing view or makes them look bad. Australia's success means Boris' approach looks bad. Otherwise there is no consistency to Bimboman's approach.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

eldanielfire wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:48 am
Bimbo is against anything that isn't a typical Tory right wing view or makes them look bad. Australia's success means Boris' approach looks bad. Otherwise there is no consistency to Bimboman's approach.

Gibberish.
towny

Post by towny »

bimboman wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:52 am
eldanielfire wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:48 am

Gibberish.
Should be easy to disprove. Show us a few links of you being overly critical of Tory party policy.
kiap

Post by kiap »

bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:22 pm Victoria has been in a lockdown tighter than the UK for 200 days , you fact free throbber.
Looks like a tag-team changeover now.

Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Breaking News in Sweden is that the health authorities have decided to ask everyone in Stockholm, Västra Götaland and Östergötland to, "please stay at home again". :lol:

I don't know why this is breaking news, it's been the same advice they've been giving since the beginning. But I guess they're sticking to their "no hard lock-down" guns and this is the strongest action they can take without forcing it on everyone.

Damn, I had beers planned for after work tomorrow. :(( Maybe I'll still go. I'll wait and suss out how serious this seems on the evening news.

https://www.thelocal.se/20201029/new-co ... gothenburg
towny

Post by towny »

Sweden is so f*cked. Those that held it up as an example are not going to be happy.

No one cares anymore. Well, we wipe down the bars after we use them at CrossFit. 👍

Covid is just an accepted thing. Deaths aren’t that high yet...... math doesn’t seem right. Could it be we are way better at treating it? Or is it likely that the social distancing and measures to mitigate the spread mean that the ones that do get it cop a lower viral load?

Either way, we are all going to get it soon enough.

By the way, I do CrossFit.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

towny wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:23 pm Sweden is so f*cked. Those that held it up as an example are not going to be happy.

No one cares anymore. Well, we wipe down the bars after we use them at CrossFit. 👍

Covid is just an accepted thing. Deaths aren’t that high yet...... math doesn’t seem right. Could it be we are way better at treating it? Or is it likely that the social distancing and measures to mitigate the spread mean that the ones that do get it cop a lower viral load?

We will see. That infection rate sure doesn't look great.

But we're not "so f--cked". I still believe there is merit in just accepting that we have to deal with it as best we can by taking sensible precautions and putting one foot in front of the other without completely freaking out. It's not the bubonic plague ffs, it's a nasty cold.
towny

Post by towny »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:43 pm
towny wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:23 pm Sweden is so f*cked. Those that held it up as an example are not going to be happy.

We will see. That infection rate sure doesn't look great.

But we're not "so f--cked". I still believe there is merit in just accepting that we have to deal with it as best we can by taking sensible precautions and putting one foot in front of the other without completely freaking out. It's not the bubonic plague ffs, it's a nasty cold.
A nasty cold.... you’re an ignorant mess.