Rugby Championship - to be in Aus...

All things Rugby
grievous

Re: Rugby Championship - to be in Aus...

Post by grievous »

usermame wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:07 am
shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:12 am Crikey. Don’t tell me St Jacinda may have made a boo-boo.

:shock:
Well, if one has to choose between the veracity and competence of NZ Rugby and Aunty Jacinda I know where my money's going. How about you?
Trick question?
shanky

Post by shanky »

usermame wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:07 am
shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:12 am Crikey. Don’t tell me St Jacinda may have made a boo-boo.

Well, if one has to choose between the veracity and competence of NZ Rugby or Aunty Jacinda I know where my money's going. How about you?
Wow.
shanky

Post by shanky »

It’s a cult.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Turns out RA have offered three options - https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 55vkl.html

1. To push back the first of two Bledisloe Tests to October 17, with the second to be played on October 24;
2. To host New Zealand for both of those matches in Australia, with all profits from gate takings and commercial revenue to be split evenly between the nations. But that would mean all four Bledisloe Cup clashes are held in Australia - an advantage New Zealand Rugby does not want to relinquish;
3. To play just one Bledisloe Test in New Zealand - on October 17 - with the other two matches to be played during The Rugby Championship in Australia.

I wonder why they didn't put up option 4 (drop 1* Aus vs. NZ game on return from NZ - on the weekend that SA vs. Arg play). An oversight shirley.

Looks like NZ will have to decide between $$ and hosting games...
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:12 am
mdaclarke wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:48 am https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12364218

Seems like there is a lot of mud slinging in NZ regarding the loss of the tournament

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all ... rugby-boss

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12364306
Crikey. Don’t tell me St Jacinda may have made a boo-boo.

Not on your nelly. St Jacinda can do no wrong in the eyes of her adoring masses. She can toothy smile her way through explaining any fuck up, and there have been plenty, by her Govt and the Jacindamaniacs will lap it up. She smiled her way through questions explaining that we had lost the Rugby Championship due to SANZAAR 'politics' nothing to do with her Govts quarantine protocols.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

shanky wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:39 pm It’s a cult.
:nod: But we haven't all signed up.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

Sounds like there will be a few from the ABs not travelling (including BB and R'Mo) for family reasons.
shanky

Post by shanky »

booji boy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:48 pm
Off to the re-education camp for you!
usermame

Post by usermame »

New Zealand Rugby consists of negotiating geniuses. At last their acumen is appreciated.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

shanky wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:25 pm
booji boy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:48 pm
Off to the re-education camp for you!
:lol: off to the gulag you reckon?
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Demilich wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:04 pm Sounds like there will be a few from the ABs not travelling (including BB and R'Mo) for family reasons.
Celebration at the Ioane household
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

booji boy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:47 pm
shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:12 am
mdaclarke wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:48 am https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12364218

Seems like there is a lot of mud slinging in NZ regarding the loss of the tournament

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all ... rugby-boss

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12364306
Crikey. Don’t tell me St Jacinda may have made a boo-boo.

Not on your nelly. St Jacinda can do no wrong in the eyes of her adoring masses. She can toothy smile her way through explaining any fuck up, and there have been plenty, by her Govt and the Jacindamaniacs will lap it up. She smiled her way through questions explaining that we had lost the Rugby Championship due to SANZAAR 'politics' nothing to do with her Govts quarantine protocols.
The masses must not frequent PR (other rugby forums) because I though she was the devil incarnate from a cursory read of this place. Not only is she installing communism in NZ but she’s also declared war on rugby.
RandomNavigat0r

Post by RandomNavigat0r »

Lol, now NZL want to take their ball and go home... Since they lost the right to host the championship their media thinks they should give up this year and play no one.

I'm starting to wonder if the media actually want the All Blacks to go broke. They want them to eat up all their financial reserves over COVID leaving them basically pennyless for all the years to come. I'm gonna assume the NZL media actually hates NZL rugby and not only wants the All Blacks to go broke, but they want to protect the worst ever All Black coach from taking the field with his team and embarassing their union with the shitshow we all know he will produce. They don't want Foster to show his hand this year because it means they might have to write a negative story about their All Blacks.. can't have that, it's way better to forfeit and bank 6 losses on the books than let Ian Foster embarass himself.

The NZL media really are scraping the bottom of the barrel
Mark Reason: Why the All Blacks should boycott the Rugby Championship
Mark Reason
13:37, Sep 15 2020
Facebook

The tests will take place before the Australia-hosted Rugby Championship, but that decision is leaving plenty of unanswered questions.
Sport showcases human achievement and unites the nation. Support our sport coverage by making a contribution.

OPINION: Who would blame the entire All Blacks squad if each and every one of them turned round and stuck two fingers up to Sanzaar. Why should they travel to Australia for the Rugby Championship? Why should they go into an environment that is far riskier to their health than if New Zealand had hosted the tournament?

We are told that Australia were granted hosting rights because of their more flexible quarantine arrangements. Well, that was certainly a part of it. But I suggest that the bigger motivation was greed. Professional sport is sometimes a squalidly venal business and the Sanzaar countries are all up against it financially.

Sanzaar’s chief executive officer Andy Marinos stated; “SANZAAR ultimately determined that based on government-required quarantine protocols and commercial underwriting, the Rugby Australia submission was the most desirable.”

There has been plenty of noise about the quarantine aspects of the bids, but far less has been said about “commercial underwriting.” Government guarantees were a big part of the last Rugby World Cup bids and it looks as if they have also influenced the way Australia have come in over the top of New Zealand for the rights to this Rugby Championship.

There is an irony to that given that the All Blacks are sponsored by AIG, a commercial underwriter. But New South Wales has recently spent 1.5 billion dollars on the refurbishment of its two stadia and the state government is desperate for action. It seems likely New South Wales, with the backing of the Federal government, has underwritten the Rugby Championship in order to see off New Zealand’s bid.

This country simply cannot compete with Australia’s financial muscle. Imagine New Zealand attempting to host the Olympic Games. The idea is laughable. Australia invested billions in the 2000 Sydney Olympics. Promoting sport is part of their Government DNA. And once they decided that they wanted the Rugby Championship, there was little that New Zealand could do about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertise with Stuff
But what is the potential cost to the athletes? Sport in South Africa has been in lockdown for months and there are fears that the Springboks will be in no state to travel and compete. And the situation in Argentina is even worse. Their coach Mario Ledesma tested positive for Covid. Eleven members of the squad are currently Covid positive and a further six were positive, but have now been cleared.

If I were an All Black, I would not be thrilled by the prospect of going cheek to sweaty cheek with a player from Argentina. Grant Robertson, the minister for finance, sport and recreation, has already pointed out that Australia’s quarantine protocols around the Rugby Championship endanger entire squads and could lead to a mass withdrawal.

Victoria Azarenka, the beaten finalist in the recent final of tennis’s US Open, has voiced safety reservations about playing in the forthcoming French Open. The US Open banned crowds and had very strict regulations around the players. France is proposing a more laissez-faire approach.

Azarenka said; “It will be very interesting for me to see how French Open is going to handle the situation with the bubble life, with the COVID now. I hope they will do a good job of protecting the players first rather than making money. So we'll see."

That same accusation could be levelled at Sanzaar. Was their first priority protecting the players? Or was their first priority making money?

Australia’s successful bid is said to involve allowing spectators to attend matches at 50 per cent of stadium capacity. Is this bluff or is it for real? If I were an All Black, I would not want to be playing rugby before crowds in a state that has had over 4000 cases of Covid, even if New South Wales has been remarkably successful in bringing the situation under control.

NZ Rugby CEO Mark Robinson reacts to news the Wallabies will be allowed to train while they're quarantining in New Zealand.
It doesn’t take long to spiral. Britain has just started to play rugby again and already crowd numbers have had to be slashed in the interests of public health. Twickenham had proposed admitting 20,000 people for the Autumn Nations Cup. The Government is now proposing that the figure is more likely to be 1000.

It seems inconceivable Australia is considering admitting people to their stadia, but it is. There is a deep irony here. When people marched on the ‘freedom walk’ rally, the Victorian and New South Wales police waded in and arrested a number of them. One pregnant mother was handcuffed in front of her children for a Facebook post advocating people got out and protested.

But if it’s a footy game that will bring in a few dollars to the community, well, that’s all right then. Mass gatherings are bonza. These are strange times and I have plenty of sympathy for New Zealand Rugby and all the New Zealand businesses that have suffered because of this shonky decision. If it was about sport and people’s welfare, then the Rugby Championship would be played in New Zealand.

Yes, it wasn’t a good look for Jacinda Ardern to whinge about Sanzaar politics. She should have simply said that her government prioritises public and player welfare, and those values combined with a comparative lack of cash, had cost the country hosting rights of the Rugby Championship.

But if Beauden Barrett and Richie Mo’unga and TJ Perenara and a tranche of other All Blacks do not want to go to Oz, then I hope that the country will get behind them. CEO Mark Robinson has already said that he will support the players even if they choose to boycott this tour of Oz. It is not their fault that they are being exposed to risk. It is down to the greed of professional sport.

And it’s not worth it
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Anyone calling Mark Reason the New Zealand media has crossed a line.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

CrazyIslander wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:13 am
Demilich wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:04 pm Sounds like there will be a few from the ABs not travelling (including BB and R'Mo) for family reasons.
Celebration at the Ioane household
R’Mo has confirmed he is available.

Edit: for the Rugby Championship, not a celebration at the Ioane’s. There has been no word on that.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Unfortunately for him, Mr Reason’s arguments are completely invalidated by the simple observation that bringing these ‘diseased’ players into NZ instead, is hardly likely to reduce the risk to AB players and almost certainly likely to increase the threat to the nation as a whole

Completely bizarre logic. You can see why muttonbird likes him.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Only thing I would pick him up on is this,
But New South Wales has recently spent 1.5 billion dollars on the refurbishment of its two stadia and the state government is desperate for action.
Only spending half this now, no Homebush upgrade.
The rest is usual expected NZ print one would read about us from them.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Sounds like he is just having a dummy spit.

NZ obviously have the resources to host a rugby competition. They have hosted the World Cup multiple times before. It has everything to do with the fact that NZs locdown laws are super tight. Maybe that's for the better, it's only a game after all. And it's only money. But you simply can not keep your cake and eat it a the same time.

No use throwing the toys out of the pram.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

RandomNavigat0r wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:58 am Lol, now NZL want to take their ball and go home... Since they lost the right to host the championship their media thinks they should give up this year and play no one.

I'm starting to wonder if the media actually want the All Blacks to go broke. They want them to eat up all their financial reserves over COVID leaving them basically pennyless for all the years to come. I'm gonna assume the NZL media actually hates NZL rugby and not only wants the All Blacks to go broke, but they want to protect the worst ever All Black coach from taking the field with his team and embarassing their union with the shitshow we all know he will produce. They don't want Foster to show his hand this year because it means they might have to write a negative story about their All Blacks.. can't have that, it's way better to forfeit and bank 6 losses on the books than let Ian Foster embarass himself.

The NZL media really are scraping the bottom of the barrel
Mark Reason: Why the All Blacks should boycott the Rugby Championship
Mark Reason
13:37, Sep 15 2020
Facebook

The tests will take place before the Australia-hosted Rugby Championship, but that decision is leaving plenty of unanswered questions.
Sport showcases human achievement and unites the nation. Support our sport coverage by making a contribution.

OPINION: Who would blame the entire All Blacks squad if each and every one of them turned round and stuck two fingers up to Sanzaar. Why should they travel to Australia for the Rugby Championship? Why should they go into an environment that is far riskier to their health than if New Zealand had hosted the tournament?

We are told that Australia were granted hosting rights because of their more flexible quarantine arrangements. Well, that was certainly a part of it. But I suggest that the bigger motivation was greed. Professional sport is sometimes a squalidly venal business and the Sanzaar countries are all up against it financially.

Sanzaar’s chief executive officer Andy Marinos stated; “SANZAAR ultimately determined that based on government-required quarantine protocols and commercial underwriting, the Rugby Australia submission was the most desirable.”

There has been plenty of noise about the quarantine aspects of the bids, but far less has been said about “commercial underwriting.” Government guarantees were a big part of the last Rugby World Cup bids and it looks as if they have also influenced the way Australia have come in over the top of New Zealand for the rights to this Rugby Championship.

There is an irony to that given that the All Blacks are sponsored by AIG, a commercial underwriter. But New South Wales has recently spent 1.5 billion dollars on the refurbishment of its two stadia and the state government is desperate for action. It seems likely New South Wales, with the backing of the Federal government, has underwritten the Rugby Championship in order to see off New Zealand’s bid.

This country simply cannot compete with Australia’s financial muscle. Imagine New Zealand attempting to host the Olympic Games. The idea is laughable. Australia invested billions in the 2000 Sydney Olympics. Promoting sport is part of their Government DNA. And once they decided that they wanted the Rugby Championship, there was little that New Zealand could do about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertise with Stuff
But what is the potential cost to the athletes? Sport in South Africa has been in lockdown for months and there are fears that the Springboks will be in no state to travel and compete. And the situation in Argentina is even worse. Their coach Mario Ledesma tested positive for Covid. Eleven members of the squad are currently Covid positive and a further six were positive, but have now been cleared.

If I were an All Black, I would not be thrilled by the prospect of going cheek to sweaty cheek with a player from Argentina. Grant Robertson, the minister for finance, sport and recreation, has already pointed out that Australia’s quarantine protocols around the Rugby Championship endanger entire squads and could lead to a mass withdrawal.

Victoria Azarenka, the beaten finalist in the recent final of tennis’s US Open, has voiced safety reservations about playing in the forthcoming French Open. The US Open banned crowds and had very strict regulations around the players. France is proposing a more laissez-faire approach.

Azarenka said; “It will be very interesting for me to see how French Open is going to handle the situation with the bubble life, with the COVID now. I hope they will do a good job of protecting the players first rather than making money. So we'll see."

That same accusation could be levelled at Sanzaar. Was their first priority protecting the players? Or was their first priority making money?

Australia’s successful bid is said to involve allowing spectators to attend matches at 50 per cent of stadium capacity. Is this bluff or is it for real? If I were an All Black, I would not want to be playing rugby before crowds in a state that has had over 4000 cases of Covid, even if New South Wales has been remarkably successful in bringing the situation under control.

NZ Rugby CEO Mark Robinson reacts to news the Wallabies will be allowed to train while they're quarantining in New Zealand.
It doesn’t take long to spiral. Britain has just started to play rugby again and already crowd numbers have had to be slashed in the interests of public health. Twickenham had proposed admitting 20,000 people for the Autumn Nations Cup. The Government is now proposing that the figure is more likely to be 1000.

It seems inconceivable Australia is considering admitting people to their stadia, but it is.
Deeply silly stuff, this. 'Australia' has stadiums, yes, but these are in states or territories controlled by state / territory governments that make their own health directives regarding what is open or not, how many can attend, etc etc.

Example: I was 'admitted' to Suncorp Stadium to watch rugby the last two weekends. Clearly someone conceived it. But probably only someone with medical quals, not an actual sports journalist...
towny

Post by towny »

JB1981 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:01 am Anyone calling Mark Reason the New Zealand media has crossed a line.
:lol:
towny

Post by towny »

Envy........ it’s everywhere. Someone has more freedom than you makes you angry. Reason is angry at Australia and he can’t articulate why. He’s a flog, but this is a common thing across the world.
NSW are furious because Qld won’t open their border. 99.9% of NSW people don’t want to go to Qld, but they’re angry that they can’t if they did want to. It’s all so bizarre, but it must be a natural reaction because it’s everywhere.

Back to Reason - he’s such a bad writer. How does someone justify paying that fool?
RandomNavigat0r

Post by RandomNavigat0r »

Ian Foster is now worried that the All Blacks will take a tumble down the world rankings and is trying to pressure world rugby to suspend world rankings this year using South Africa as the reason when we all clearly know he is doing it for his own selfish benefit.. COVID has basically saved Foster from a massive amount of criticism this year and now he wants world rugby to assist him further by not ranking his side incase it fails. And we all thought NZL were the guardians of the sport. They are proving to be the total opposite, hoping for cancellations and now wanting their games to be unranked. How such a strong and respected Nation can fall down so easily and become a nation of self serving whingers... I think Hammertime really hurt the nation psychologically. Hansen, Foster and Mark Robinson have all come off second best.
All Blacks coach Ian Foster calls on World Rugby to suspend world rankings
07:05, Sep 16 2020
Facebook
Twitter
Whats App
Reddit
Email

All Blacks coach Ian Foster says world rugby rankings don't matter in the Covid-19 era.

All Blacks coach Ian Foster has challenged World Rugby to suspend its global rankings for the year amidst the uncertainty and uneven nature of the international playing field in Covid-ravaged 2020.

Foster – who will lead the All Blacks into home tests against Australia on October 11 and 18 – has heard talking coming out of South Africa that the Springboks should not even bother entering the revamped Rugby Championship in Australia slated for November and early December because of what they could lose by taking part.

All Blacks coach Ian Foster said reports of players not wanting to travel to Australia for the Rugby Championship are incorrect.
While New Zealand and Australia have both had full internal Super Rugby competitions post the March global shutdown of sport with the onset of the Covid-19 virus, South Africa has yet to even launch a domestic competition.

It is a similar story with Argentina who are preparing at present whilst also dealing with the coronavirus ripping through their squad.

Former Springboks skipper Wynand Claassen recently urged the world champions not to play in this year’s postponed Rugby Championship because he says they will be radically underdone.

“If one thinks that New Zealand and Australia have been playing their domestic rugby for the last two months and our rugby hasn’t even restarted yet, we would definitely be under-prepared,” the man who led the Boks’ controversial 1981 tour of New Zealand told South Africa’s Citizen newspaper.

“What will happen if we again give 50 points away to New Zealand, like what happened in 2016 and 2017. Who will be blamed?” he asked. “We’ve got more to lose by playing in the championship. We must remember that we are the World Cup champs, the No 1 ranked team in the world and the Rugby Championship holders.”

However, Foster points out that rugby tests are hugely important as national unions look to scramble something from what is left of 2020, and that they simply have to be played for declining bottom lines.

He did, though, acknowledge Claassen’s point in challenging the game’s global leaders to recognise the unprecedented nature of what they were presiding over.

“From a New Zealand Rugby side, from the revenue side, it’s vital,” said Foster of both the two-test Bledisloe series in New Zealand and the Rugby Championship to follow across the ditch.

“It’s vital for both sides of the Tasman, it’s vital for South Africa and Argentina. It’s why the four countries have voted to play the Rugby Championship.

“And I think from a national perspective it’s equally as vital. All Blacks tests are something to be looked forward to. It’s up to the public to decide how much they enjoy it, but to us it’s a massive opportunity to represent our country in what’s been a really difficult year.

“I even hear talk from a South African ex-captain that the Springboks shouldn’t come because they might lose their world ranking with their preparation. Well, let’s can the world rankings for this year. Who really cares?

“What’s more important right now is we get the game on the park, and we put some international rugby on the park and let people enjoy it. Of course we want to win and be No 1, but I‘d hate to let little things like that stand in the road of us playing international rugby.”

As well as the financial benefits to be accrued, Foster also underlined the rugby spinoffs from taking an All Blacks squad that, by necessity, will be up around 46 for six weeks in Australia. “There are some massive upsides to this,” he added.

“If you look from the rugby side we are going to be forced to build some depth. We are going to be forced to play some players and give them a chance in the test arena, when perhaps they wouldn’t have had it.

“If we look at that constructively, what a great opportunity it is to grow some depth. We’re also going to be putting players in a pressured environment, away from their families a long time, away from their natural support. We’re going to learn a lot about people.

“We put the same challenge to players in Super Rugby Aotearoa – to come out of isolation, in a short period get ready, and they responded magnificently. We’ve got a lot of faith in our group that we’ll do the same.

Dave Rennie was adamant his side wouldn't play on the second week in October unless the quarantine protocols were relaxed.
Meanwhile, Foster neatly sidestepped any suggestions that his rivalry with new Wallabies coach Dave Rennie might have had some fuel added to it by the latter’s staunch stance over the Bledisloes in New Zealand.

The All Blacks coach, who admitted he had communicated with Rennie via a third party in Rugby Australia director of rugby Scott Johnson, said it was “not a personal thing” as arrangements for October were hammered out.

“The Wallabies are just trying do the best thing for the Wallabies. What we’ve now got is a situation that we can hand on heart say we can play two Bledisloes, we can all get our objectives and all get equal preparation time.

“We’ve both got new coaching groups, and we’ve both made the decision not to take our players out of Super Rugby for camps. Dave’s job is to prepare the Wallabies to the best of his ability. He’s a fine coach and a fine person, and I know he’ll do that.”

And now, with the first two Bledisloes locked in, it is well and truly game on.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

RandomNavigat0r wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:48 amI think Hammertime really hurt the nation psychologically
Not half as much as NZ has f*cked your head up though.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:52 am
RandomNavigat0r wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:48 amI think Hammertime really hurt the nation psychologically
Not half as much as NZ has f*cked your head up though.
He is being eaten up from the inside and him thinking that not losing ranking points would save Foster from criticism is laughable. If the ABs lose games and/or play poorly, the coaching team will cop flak. NZ rugby fans won’t see things any better or worse with rankings on or off the table.

I don’t have many good things to say about Foster but if taking ranking points off the table allows a decent test schedule then I support that.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

The Wallabies will kick off their Rugby Championship campaign in Brisbane against the All Blacks after SANZAAR confirmed the fixture list for the six-week tournament set to be held in Australia from November 7 to December 12.

After months of planning, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Argentina are preparing to battle it out in a condensed Rugby Championship that will feature double-headers every Saturday, five of which will be in NSW at ANZ Stadium, Bankwest Stadium and McDonald Jones Stadium in Newcastle.

After returning from playing two Sunday Bledisloe Cup matches in New Zealand on October 11 (Wellington) and October 18 (Auckland), the Wallabies will square off for their third game in a row against the Kiwis in Brisbane.

From there, the Wallabies will return to Sydney for a clash against World Cup winners South Africa at Bankwest Stadium.

Their next Test on November 21 will be against Argentina but the match of the day will be the blockbuster between the All Blacks and the Springboks, with ANZ Stadium set to host the fixture in order to get the largest possible crowd.

Round four of the Rugby Championship sees sides go north for a game in Newcastle before another game at Bankwest Stadium.

The Wallabies' last match of the year will be on December 12 at ANZ Stadium against the All Blacks, which will double as the fourth fixture of the Bledisloe Cup.

SANZAAR CEO Andy Marinos said: “It has taken a lot of hard work to get to this point. While the rescheduling and re-configuration of the Super Rugby season has not been ideal, all the member unions have been committed in getting rugby back on the field. Our broadcasters and commercial partners have been fantastic in working with us and continually adapting in what has been a very dynamic environment.”

Round one - Saturday 7th November - Suncorp Stadium
Argentina v South Africa, Australia v New Zealand

Round two - Saturday 14th November - Bankwest Stadium
New Zealand v Argentina, South Africa v Australia

Round three - Saturday 21st November - ANZ Stadium
New Zealand v South Africa, Australia v Argentina

Round four – Saturday 28th November, McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle
Argentina v Australia, South Africa v New Zealand

Round five – Saturday 5th December - Bankwest Stadium
Argentina v New Zealand, Australia v South Africa

Round six – Saturday 12th December - ANZ Stadium
South Africa v Argentina, Australia v New Zealand
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

That's a shed load of rugby assuming it happens.

I imagine it will be hard for Arg and SA to get up to speed straight away ... but should be humming by round 4.
the curse

Post by the curse »

wow, rugby in November...are they going to introduce mandatory breaks during halves as the weather may be quite warm...player welfare and all shirley?
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

FYI NZ Rugby are saying they never agreed to the schedule as it would mean the AB's would have to spend Christmas Day in quarantine.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:07 am FYI NZ Rugby are saying they never agreed to the schedule as it would mean the AB's would have to spend Christmas Day in quarantine.
I assume that in advance of the last game of the 45 player 22 would head home early (maybe a couple of spares) where there is a specific need.

So maybe 25 would be in Aus for last game - 20 players head home so they can complete quarantine in advance of Christmas.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:21 am
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:07 am FYI NZ Rugby are saying they never agreed to the schedule as it would mean the AB's would have to spend Christmas Day in quarantine.
I assume that in advance of the last game of the 45 player 22 would head home early (maybe a couple of spares) where there is a specific need.

So maybe 25 would be in Aus for last game - 20 players head home so they can complete quarantine in advance of Christmas.
The point is that SANZAAR have announced this without actually clearing it with the partner unions first. More evidence that the alliance is largely f**ked.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

I haven't bothered checking but assume there are similar quarantine requirements in SA and Arg... maybe not.

SANZAAR very keen to keep full tv revenue (and hence playing all the games)...
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

No quarantine for SA and Arg.

NZR and players union will have to decide if want the $ or not. There are other pre-Covid examples e.g cricket.

The wider relationship looks dead.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Whinging bitches.

I would love to have such an excuse to avoid my extended family on Christmas Day.

“Sorry, getting on the piss in the hotel with my mates. Really unfortunate I can’t be there. Devastated”
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:13 am No quarantine for SA and Arg.

NZR and players union will have to decide if want the $ or not. There are other pre-Covid examples e.g cricket.

The wider relationship looks dead.
I think NZR will play this series, under extreme financial duress, but as you say the relationship is over. Dead, buried and cremated. I;m genuinely shocked that SANZAAR didn't confirm the final schedule with the four participating nations prior to releasing this information to the public.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Bindi wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:32 am Whinging bitches.

I would love to have such an excuse to avoid my extended family on Christmas Day.

“Sorry, getting on the piss in the hotel with my mates. Really unfortunate I can’t be there. Devastated”
:lol:
grievous

Post by grievous »

What a smorgasbord of rugby, I’m hoping to get to most of that
grievous

Post by grievous »

Plus all winter sports here have finished and cricket has a slow oct nov so RA wanna milk the shit out of this through the media, let’s hope it gets Macca’d
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

grievous wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:02 am Plus all winter sports here have finished and cricket has a slow oct nov so RA wanna milk the shit out of this through the media, let’s hope it gets Macca’d
It will be interesting to see how this tournament rates on TV in Aust. That's a huge amount of meaningful, domestic test rugby being played at viewer friendly times. It's almost like hosting a RWC. 6 weeks of elite Rugby being played every weekend.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Mark Robinson just keeps getting outplayed at every hand. Time to bring in someone semi decent, like Raelene :nod:
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Kahu wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:11 am Mark Robinson just keeps getting outplayed at every hand. Time to bring in someone semi decent, like Raelene :nod:
Maybe they should try the other Mark Robinson for a bit?