Rugby Championship - to be in Aus...

All things Rugby
Kahu

Re: Rugby Championship - to be in Aus...

Post by Kahu »

You might be onto a winner there Jay Cee Gee ;)
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Kahu wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:11 am Mark Robinson just keeps getting outplayed at every hand. Time to bring in someone semi decent, like Raelene :nod:
I think "Miss Ardern" had a point about NZ Rugby admin
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

Good old SANZAAR politics. Cindy was right 😎
ABs need to lock the Bled away in NZ tests, secure the Championship before the 11th Dec and then bail or field a team of atheists who are happy to miss Xmas.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:07 am FYI NZ Rugby are saying they never agreed to the schedule as it would mean the AB's would have to spend Christmas Day in quarantine.
Yep. Mark Robinson was quoted to the effect that NZR was working on the understanding the All Blacks' last match would be on December 5, thus allowing the players to complete quarantine in time for Christmas.

If SANZAAR management has scheduled TRC games knowing NZR's position on the matter, it is a piss-poor turnout.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

MungoMan wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:15 am
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:07 am FYI NZ Rugby are saying they never agreed to the schedule as it would mean the AB's would have to spend Christmas Day in quarantine.
Yep. Mark Robinson was quoted to the effect that NZR was working on the understanding the All Blacks' last match would be on December 5, thus allowing the players to complete quarantine in time for Christmas.

If SANZAAR management has scheduled TRC games knowing NZR's position on the matter, it is a piss-poor turnout.
Agreed. It's easy to attack NZR in 2020 over the way they handled their negotiations with Rugby Australia for a proposed TT comp in 2021, but this is completely separate and reeks of poor management and organisational dysfunction. NZR have been thrown under the bus, to allow SA and Arg a bit more pre-tournament preparation time. Sad to see Arg taking sides in this way given they were warmly welcomed into SANZAAR by the original three nations . Argentina have contributed very little to the Rugby Championship, and now they've joined forces to publicly humiliate NZR. I wouldn't put it past NZR to boycott the final match of this year's tournament. This could end up in court.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but a quarantine imposed by NZ - right? Doesn't seem right that International sporting fixtures should need to take into account the domestic restrictions one country is imposing on their own team. Just let them go home for Christmas. Problem solved.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Why would NZ agree to this schedule?!
Why would SANZAAR schedule this if NZ haven't agreed?

I can't wait
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

mdaclarke wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:17 am Why would NZ agree to this schedule?!
Why would SANZAAR schedule this if NZ haven't agreed?

I can't wait
SA and Arg also need to understand that the NZ players have all been playing, aside from their 6 week covid break, since the last week of January. They've played an intense season of SR Aotearoa, a North vs South match and the Mitre 10 Cup whilst the Saffers have been lounging around the braai drinking brandy and cokes. And for their troubles the NZ players have all taken big paycuts. This schedule is crazy.
Olo

Post by Olo »

Send a second rate side and let the Nancy boys who want to stay at home do so. No problem
Olo

Post by Olo »

Jacinda could allow them to enter the country with no or little quarantine on the back of a negative COVID test, especially if they win. She’s allowing the Wallabies a reduced quarantine period on this first Bled trip I gather.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Just checking:
the six-week tournament set to be held in Australia from November 7 to December 12.
Since when is 35 days six weeks?
“You’ve got to manage players from a long-term perspective and make sure we’re not increasing their risk profile disproportionately that they could get serious, career-ending injuries,” Marinos said.
How do RWC organising committees manage this risk?

Overall i think NZ has to suck it on this one. Unless they are prepared to drop out of the whole tournament - and i think they need the money - they're going to have to play ball and go along as best they can. For the players - especially those earning big $$$ - this is what funds those large $$$ (so i think they need to suck it as well).

What i think will be more interesting is how NZR involves itself going forward. This whole process i suspect will be a rude awakening and may influence their forward planning (my guess is to be a bit more isolationist and very choosey on games (on the basis of $$)).
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Olo wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:20 am Jacinda could allow them to enter the country with no or little quarantine on the back of a negative COVID test, especially if they win. She’s allowing the Wallabies a reduced quarantine period on this first Bled trip I gather.
They have to do two weeks still - it's more about how they can mingle in their bubble progressively more through the two weeks.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:59 am

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but a quarantine imposed by NZ - right? Doesn't seem right that International sporting fixtures should need to take into account the domestic restrictions one country is imposing on their own team. Just let them go home for Christmas. Problem solved.
The schedule is also taking into account that SA and Arg. players, especially those who live in the country they represent, have played little or no rugby in 2020. And that is also due to decisions of the respective national governments.
grievous

Post by grievous »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:23 am Just checking:
the six-week tournament set to be held in Australia from November 7 to December 12.
“You’ve got to manage players from a long-term perspective and make sure we’re not increasing their risk profile disproportionately that they could get serious, career-ending injuries,” Marinos said.

Overall i think NZ has to suck it on this one. Unless they are prepared to drop out of the whole tournament - and i think they need the money - they're going to have to play ball and go along as best they can. For the players - especially those earning big $$$ - this is what funds those large $$$ (so i think they need to suck it as well).

What i think will be more interesting is how NZR involves itself going forward. This whole process i suspect will be a rude awakening and may influence their forward planning (my guess is to be a bit more isolationist and very choosey on games (on the basis of $$)).
Yep I think they gotta suck it
If the game goes ahead on December 12 at ANZ Stadium, as scheduled, and New Zealand government restrictions aren't relaxed, the Kiwis would be forced into hotel isolation by themselves on Christmas Day.

"We haven't agreed to this schedule and are disappointed at the announcement," Robinson said in a statement. “We understand the commercial considerations in the scheduling. However, the wellbeing of our people is an incredibly important factor in this also."

In a follow-up Zoom call, Robinson also made the claim Australia had given a “commitment” to New Zealand that the final game would take place on December 5, with a midweek game to shrink the length of the tournament.

Interim RA boss Rob Clarke refuted that claim. Until a few weeks ago, New Zealand was set to host the Rugby Championship on the same dates, meaning Australia’s players would have faced hotel isolation on December 25 in exactly the same circumstances. That is unless the Australian government helped out. At the time, RA was told tough luck by NZR, yet now the shoe is on the other foot.

“For absolute clarity - on two formal occasions - Rugby Australia was supportive of altering the draw so that the Rugby Championship could be played over five weeks,” Clarke said. “On both occasions, that proposal was rejected, which means there was never an agreement to finish the tournament on December 5.”

In this instance, it was South Africa and Argentina who said six games in five weeks was too much. With little rugby under their belts, it was a safety issue. Marinos supported their concern.

SANZAAR, which organises the competition - a fact forgotten by some on Thursday, went to NZR to see whether its government could relax quarantine rules, possibly by allowing one week of strict hotel isolation in Australia before the players' return, or doing the mandatory lockdown in New Zealand at their own homes.

That failed to occur and SANZAAR, without New Zealand's tick of approval, boldly announced the fixture list anyway.

At a media event at NSW Parliament House, Marinos read through the NZR statement before responding.

Pressed on whether there was a chance New Zealand’s protests could curtail the Rugby Championship, Marinos said: "I don’t think so. There’s too much at stake. It’s just about how we can best manage individual needs of all the unions and this is the challenge we’ve got with the whole pandemic. There’s complexities at every single corner."
This Robinson chap is the sort you wouldn't turn your back on.
towny

Post by towny »

Is this a trick question? Maybe you shouldn’t concern yourself with scheduling anything. Ever.
towny

Post by towny »

I used to think NZR were incompetent. Now it’s clear they’re just lying carnts that refuse to take any accountability.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Missing Christmas? How old are they? 12?

Be grateful you can actually play... and that you get to stay alive after and not spread anything to your families...

I've spent more Christmases alone than with company.. it's fine.. you don't die of lack of Christmas...
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

grievous wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:36 am

Yep I think they gotta suck it
If the game goes ahead on December 12 at ANZ Stadium, as scheduled, and New Zealand government restrictions aren't relaxed, the Kiwis would be forced into hotel isolation by themselves on Christmas Day.

"We haven't agreed to this schedule and are disappointed at the announcement," Robinson said in a statement. “We understand the commercial considerations in the scheduling. However, the wellbeing of our people is an incredibly important factor in this also."

In a follow-up Zoom call, Robinson also made the claim Australia had given a “commitment” to New Zealand that the final game would take place on December 5, with a midweek game to shrink the length of the tournament.

Interim RA boss Rob Clarke refuted that claim. Until a few weeks ago, New Zealand was set to host the Rugby Championship on the same dates, meaning Australia’s players would have faced hotel isolation on December 25 in exactly the same circumstances. That is unless the Australian government helped out. At the time, RA was told tough luck by NZR, yet now the shoe is on the other foot.

“For absolute clarity - on two formal occasions - Rugby Australia was supportive of altering the draw so that the Rugby Championship could be played over five weeks,” Clarke said. “On both occasions, that proposal was rejected, which means there was never an agreement to finish the tournament on December 5.”

In this instance, it was South Africa and Argentina who said six games in five weeks was too much. With little rugby under their belts, it was a safety issue. Marinos supported their concern.

SANZAAR, which organises the competition - a fact forgotten by some on Thursday, went to NZR to see whether its government could relax quarantine rules, possibly by allowing one week of strict hotel isolation in Australia before the players' return, or doing the mandatory lockdown in New Zealand at their own homes.

That failed to occur and SANZAAR, without New Zealand's tick of approval, boldly announced the fixture list anyway.

At a media event at NSW Parliament House, Marinos read through the NZR statement before responding.

Pressed on whether there was a chance New Zealand’s protests could curtail the Rugby Championship, Marinos said: "I don’t think so. There’s too much at stake. It’s just about how we can best manage individual needs of all the unions and this is the challenge we’ve got with the whole pandemic. There’s complexities at every single corner."
This Robinson chap is the sort you wouldn't turn your back on.
It seems the blindingly obvious solution is just for the NZ government to give a teeny bit. It's ridiculous. They have one of the lowest infection rates and risk on the entire planet. The entire lockdown is probably unnecessary, let alone making room for a bunch of International sportsmen to go home on Christmas. They could do isolation and testing up until that point and just let them home on Christmas and that would be the end of this "problem".
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

towny wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:54 am
Is this a trick question? Maybe you shouldn’t concern yourself with scheduling anything. Ever.
We’re hosting the Women’s World Cup ... didn’t you know. Safe to say Aussie will end up going it alone. A situation they will, with grace, accept.
towny

Post by towny »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:10 pm
towny wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:54 am
We’re hosting the Women’s World Cup ... didn’t you know. Safe to say Aussie will end up going it alone. A situation they will, with grace, accept.
How long does it go for? Or haven’t you been able to work that out either?

When is the Women’s RWC? You blokes couldn’t run a bath - might as well hand that over soonish. Yet another thing Australian fans can look forward to. 😎
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

As an employer NZR will need to show it is concerned, and there are a few first time Dads in the squad who will be under pressure to not miss the “first Christmas”, but this will largely self-resolve. In the meantime it should be a powerful motivation to succeed early.

If the squad can lock up the Bledisloe before they get to Australia and then wrap up the Championship by round 5 there can be a flurry of compassionate releases, leaving the last game for a development opportunity. Having no final means there is no imperative to hang around if you can get the business done early, so make the goal an early mic drop and some good Instagram moments of families at the beach with as much squad development as possible.

Labour will also have more flexibility after the election to start letting the evolving science take them in a diffe.. er more nuanced direction and introduce more adaptable quarantine process, both generally and for specific cases where they have confidence about group management.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Olo wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:20 am Jacinda could allow them to enter the country with no or little quarantine on the back of a negative COVID test, especially if they win. She’s allowing the Wallabies a reduced quarantine period on this first Bled trip I gather.
No, they've just relaxed the rules about what they can do while in quarantine. They're able to train together after a certain period, but they're isolated from the public for the same time as anyone else.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

So NZR come out a few months ago and start banging on about how South Africa are out of Super rugby and if Aus want to join the new competition then they can apply to have two teams in it etc, and are now surprised that they seem to be getting the thin end of the wedge over the RC, seems like Mr Robinson is not the sharpest tool in the shed
Murdoch

Post by Murdoch »

I saw the suggestion to just make the 2nd Bled in NZ an RC game and ditch the last NZ-AU fixture on December 12th.

That seems the most logical.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Murdoch wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:16 pm I saw the suggestion to just make the 2nd Bled in NZ an RC game and ditch the last NZ-AU fixture on December 12th.

That seems the most logical.
NZ need the cash - but aus need it even more. No way theyre giving up a game - even for Christmas.

Both unions appear to be hardening around doing whats best for them.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

jambanja wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:00 pm So NZR come out a few months ago and start banging on about how South Africa are out of Super rugby and if Aus want to join the new competition then they can apply to have two teams in it etc, and are now surprised that they seem to be getting the thin end of the wedge over the RC, seems like Mr Robinson is not the sharpest tool in the shed
Indeed. He appears to be waaaay out of his depth.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

jambanja wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:00 pm So NZR come out a few months ago and start banging on about how South Africa are out of Super rugby and if Aus want to join the new competition then they can apply to have two teams in it etc, and are now surprised that they seem to be getting the thin end of the wedge over the RC, seems like Mr Robinson is not the sharpest tool in the shed
To be completely fair, Australia has been just as vocal about scrapping the old format of Super Rugby as NZR, if not more so. And the South Africans have been negotiating for months to join the Celtic League. It would be extremely dishonest to lay the blame for the disbanding of SR solely on NZR. Oh, and no-one knows when overseas flights/travel between NZ, Aust and SA that isn't subject to quarantine rules will re-open, so that hasn't helped either.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Get ready for some busted glass :D

Michael Cheika to advise Los Pumas in the 2020 Rugby Championship

In a spicy Rugby Championship subplot, Michael Cheika will try to bring about the downfall of his Wallabies successor Dave Rennie as part of Argentina's coaching staff when they arrive for the November tournament.

Rennie will coach Australia for the first time in next month's two-Test tour of New Zealand after Cheika stepped away following last year's World Cup quarter-final exit.

He has since worked as a consultant with the NRL's Sydney Roosters but will join former Australian assistant-turned Los Pumas head coach Mario Ledesma.

Ledesma said he had proposed the plan earlier this year and was met with immediate interest, the former Wallabies coach since helping with logistics and tactical advice ahead of their visit.

"We agreed from the first moment ... he always liked Argentine rugby a lot," Ledesma said.

"It is an excellent opportunity to continue learning all because he is a person who thinks a lot about things outside the box, who has an innovative and super creative vision, different from that of many coaches that I've come across."

Argentina are set to face Australia in the third and fourth round of the tournament in Sydney and Newcastle.

SANZAAR remains confident the tournament will proceed despite New Zealand Rugby chief executive Mark Robinson saying the All Blacks "hadn't agreed" to the six-week schedule released on Thursday.

Australian Associated Press

https://www.gloucesteradvocate.com.au/s ... /?cs=10864
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

On the understanding = Making shit up
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

I hope that none of these SANZAAR decisions impact Andy Marinos' application for the CEO of Rugby Australia.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Two other bits of info - https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 55yy9.html
Broadcasters have made it clear they want evening matches, with 5pm and 7.30pm AEDT time slots being worked towards.
That is
Auckland - 7pm & 9:30
Sydney - 5pm & 7:30
Jo Burg - 8am & 10:30am
BA - 3am and 5:30am (which are fairly shit times...)

I wonder if they could go a little later - even 30 mins
Tickets to the general public go on sale on October 8.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Grandpa wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:12 pm Missing Christmas? How old are they? 12?

Be grateful you can actually play... and that you get to stay alive after and not spread anything to your families...

I've spent more Christmases alone than with company.. it's fine.. you don't die of lack of Christmas...
I was just telling my wife, a nurse, about the All Blacks being quite upset about the fact they may miss having Christmas Day with the family and her reaction was ...so what, how many Christmases have I missed because I was working Christmas Day, and they get paid a fortune, sorry so sympathy at all, which does kinda put it into perspective.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:08 pm
To be completely fair, Australia has been just as vocal about scrapping the old format of Super Rugby as NZR, if not more so. And the South Africans have been negotiating for months to join the Celtic League. It would be extremely dishonest to lay the blame for the disbanding of SR solely on NZR. Oh, and no-one knows when overseas flights/travel between NZ, Aust and SA that isn't subject to quarantine rules will re-open, so that hasn't helped either.
All valid points but NZR made the mistake of making the first public statement about this and then went on to insult their partner and neighbour RA by only offering them 2 teams in their new comp, I think they may have overestimated their pulling power and this has hurt them at the negotiating table
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

jambanja wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:46 am
Grandpa wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:12 pm Missing Christmas? How old are they? 12?

I was just telling my wife, a nurse, about the All Blacks being quite upset about the fact they may miss having Christmas Day with the family and her reaction was ...so what, how many Christmases have I missed because I was working Christmas Day, and they get paid a fortune, sorry so sympathy at all, which does kinda put it into perspective.
To be pedantic, unless she was a nurse on an oil rig or down a mine it's not actually the same. She got to see her family before and after her shift after all.
grievous

Post by grievous »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:06 am I hope that none of these SANZAAR decisions impact Andy Marinos' application for the CEO of Rugby Australia.
Rob Clarke’s role has been extended, they may not bother recruiting if he stays on.
May debunk your intended collusion comment
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:58 am
jambanja wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:46 am

To be pedantic, unless she was a nurse on an oil rig or down a mine it's not actually the same. She got to see her family before and after her shift after all.
And presumably she was aware of the possibility it might happen when she signed up
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

grievous wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:08 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:06 am I hope that none of these SANZAAR decisions impact Andy Marinos' application for the CEO of Rugby Australia.
Rob Clarke’s role has been extended, they may not bother recruiting if he stays on.
May debunk your intended collusion comment
He's reconfirmed he's leaving, as has Hammer. Extension is because he can't go off sailing yet...
RandomNavigat0r

Post by RandomNavigat0r »

How long before the NZRU and NZ government go to war with each other :lol:

This is great!! :lol:

So NZL when they looked like securing the Rugby championship basically told AUS to go fu'ck themselves and are now back peddling because it all went against them :shock:
, Robinson also made the claim Australia had given a “commitment” to New Zealand that the final game would take place on December 5, with a midweek game to shrink the length of the tournament.

“For absolute clarity - on two formal occasions - Rugby Australia was supportive of altering the draw so that the Rugby Championship could be played over five weeks,” Clarke said. “On both occasions, that proposal was rejected, which means there was never an agreement to finish the tournament on December 5.
So it turns out Mark Robinson isn't just out of his depth, he is a liar too. Not a good look when you've been exposed the way he has just now.

And sounds like all these All Blacks that get paid a small fortune and don't really believe in Jesus are getting all upset now that they can't spend Christmas (A religious holiday) with their families :lol: . That's such an embarassing argument to make I wouldn't have even made it given how much money they receive in incomes and sponsorship.

It looks more and more clear that NZL tried to throw their weight around and tried to pressure Australia to give up teams and bow down to their demands for a new competition and to toe the line for the Rugby Championship and have received a big giant smack down, Hammer time. And are finally getting a lesson on how to deal with professional sports competitions (something NZL have never ever been able to pull off successfully by themselves) and how to actually negotiate with international partners by using their own government instead of being dictated to by some nasty tyrant with horse teeth..

How many more months can NZRU hold out without spending their entire cash reserves? They have to play to sustain their All Black brand, but they want to take their ball and go home because they are going to miss Christmas and are unhappy the world didn't getting dictated to by accepting NZ's draconian isolation laws.

How about you get your shit together before you come back to the negotiating table... NZ rugby has been a cluster fudge since 2017 but their media has been too scared to call them out on it because they didn't want to upset the Hanson-Henry-Tew cult they instilled a couple of decades ago because it means they may get locked out of all those news conferences, and not get those exclusive scoops... What an incestuous cesspit... :shock:
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Allow me to translate that -

"I'm so psychologically damaged by the last 15 years of the Wallabies getting the shit kicked out of them by NZ, I'll seize upon any 'victory' and wallow in it like a pig in shit"

Honestly, 'Hammer Time'? What a twat.