Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

All things Rugby
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 5810
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by Dark »

Just watched that UK "SAS: Who Dares Wins".

Was just thinking who shows the traits.

They probably all have the stamina fitness wise and in team man ship, so I guess it would be mental strength and control.

Obviously McAwe. Martin Johnson.

DC wouldn't have had the touch of mean and manipulation you need enough.
Jay Cee Gee
Posts: 17684
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Josh Lewsey probably.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 5810
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by Dark »

Though smaller, probably Gregan and Marshall when it comes to half backs
Jay Cee Gee
Posts: 17684
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Bill Cavubati would be a good shot.
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17901
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by towny »

Lots of them. A good % of pro players I’d imagine.
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17901
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by towny »

Dark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 am Though smaller, probably Gregan and Marshall when it comes to half backs
I met a British SAS dude that couldn’t have been over 5’.
This guy is over 6’, but he was Oz SAS - perhaps their role is more like SBS, but I’m sure he would have gone alright. Probably could have been a supervillain tbf.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CGffAbA3UoxLxTG86

There isn’t really a ‘type’.
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 12807
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by UncleFB »

towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:40 am
Dark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 am Though smaller, probably Gregan and Marshall when it comes to half backs
I met a British SAS dude that couldn’t have been over 5’.
This guy is over 6’, but he was Oz SAS - perhaps their role is more like SBS, but I’m sure he would have gone alright. Probably could have been a supervillain tbf.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CGffAbA3UoxLxTG86

There isn’t really a ‘type’.
Yeah the couple of SAS guys I know would be 5 ft 8 at most. Hard bastards.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 5810
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by Dark »

Actually tbf, I think Gregan and Marshall would have been too mouthy under interrogation if they got captured.

Temperament is a biggie
User avatar
Pat the Ex Mat
Posts: 5441
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:40 am
Dark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 am Though smaller, probably Gregan and Marshall when it comes to half backs
I met a British SAS dude that couldn’t have been over 5’.
This guy is over 6’, but he was Oz SAS - perhaps their role is more like SBS, but I’m sure he would have gone alright. Probably could have been a supervillain tbf.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CGffAbA3UoxLxTG86

There isn’t really a ‘type’.
Probably not the best example presently....
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17901
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by towny »

Dark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:20 am Actually tbf, I think Gregan and Marshall would have been too mouthy under interrogation if they got captured.

Temperament is a biggie

Yeah.... George Gregan would have struggled because his temperament isn’t exactly what they’re looking for.

Gregan would have shat it in.
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17901
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by towny »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:50 am
towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:40 am
Dark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 am Though smaller, probably Gregan and Marshall when it comes to half backs
I met a British SAS dude that couldn’t have been over 5’.
This guy is over 6’, but he was Oz SAS - perhaps their role is more like SBS, but I’m sure he would have gone alright. Probably could have been a supervillain tbf.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CGffAbA3UoxLxTG86

There isn’t really a ‘type’.
Probably not the best example presently....
But he is. The myth of the SAS warrior as they virtuous hero is tiresome.
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17901
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by towny »

UncleFB wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:11 am
towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:40 am
Dark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 am Though smaller, probably Gregan and Marshall when it comes to half backs
I met a British SAS dude that couldn’t have been over 5’.
This guy is over 6’, but he was Oz SAS - perhaps their role is more like SBS, but I’m sure he would have gone alright. Probably could have been a supervillain tbf.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CGffAbA3UoxLxTG86

There isn’t really a ‘type’.
Yeah the couple of SAS guys I know would be 5 ft 8 at most. Hard bastards.
I met an older kiwi SAS officer once. Looked like a handy LHP. Scared the shit out of me.
User avatar
Pat the Ex Mat
Posts: 5441
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:53 am
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:50 am
towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:40 am
Dark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 am Though smaller, probably Gregan and Marshall when it comes to half backs
I met a British SAS dude that couldn’t have been over 5’.
This guy is over 6’, but he was Oz SAS - perhaps their role is more like SBS, but I’m sure he would have gone alright. Probably could have been a supervillain tbf.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CGffAbA3UoxLxTG86

There isn’t really a ‘type’.
Probably not the best example presently....
But he is. The myth of the SAS warrior as they virtuous hero is tiresome.
I agree.

But, he's way taller than the average
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 5810
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by Dark »

towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:52 am
Dark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:20 am Actually tbf, I think Gregan and Marshall would have been too mouthy under interrogation if they got captured.

Temperament is a biggie

Yeah.... George Gregan would have struggled because his temperament isn’t exactly what they’re looking for.

Gregan would have shat it in.
Then there is Carlos Spencer types

Bad dude "Hand us your gun you filthy western scum!"

Carlos "Sure. But I need to throw it behind my back to you"

Hits innocent chick in the head with AK-47 standing about 8 feet from the bad guy.
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17901
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by towny »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:03 am
towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:53 am
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:50 am
towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:40 am
Dark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 am Though smaller, probably Gregan and Marshall when it comes to half backs
I met a British SAS dude that couldn’t have been over 5’.
This guy is over 6’, but he was Oz SAS - perhaps their role is more like SBS, but I’m sure he would have gone alright. Probably could have been a supervillain tbf.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CGffAbA3UoxLxTG86

There isn’t really a ‘type’.
Probably not the best example presently....
But he is. The myth of the SAS warrior as they virtuous hero is tiresome.
I agree.

But, he's way taller than the average
Of course. He’s in the .001 percentile or something. My point was that they aren’t a ‘type’. They’re just highly trained blokes.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 5810
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by Dark »

towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:23 am
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:03 am
towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:53 am
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:50 am
towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:40 am

I met a British SAS dude that couldn’t have been over 5’.
This guy is over 6’, but he was Oz SAS - perhaps their role is more like SBS, but I’m sure he would have gone alright. Probably could have been a supervillain tbf.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CGffAbA3UoxLxTG86

There isn’t really a ‘type’.
Probably not the best example presently....
But he is. The myth of the SAS warrior as they virtuous hero is tiresome.
I agree.

But, he's way taller than the average
Of course. He’s in the .001 percentile or something. My point was that they aren’t a ‘type’. They’re just highly trained blokes.
More than trained I think. That is obviously a massive part of it, but I think you also have to have the right personality and mind set. And shit loads of balls and discipline already established.

Think a lot is personality
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17901
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by towny »

I think they need to be determined. I’ve met a few and they aren’t a type in my opinion. Some are quality and some aren’t good humans. Some talk a bit and others are quiet.
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 30952
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by EverReady »

We are talking British special forces here. You need to think about who would shoot women and children and in the modern sense probably has a pisstape on some Russian database. That opens up the field a bit
Yer Man
Posts: 20411
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by Yer Man »

towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:52 am
Dark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:20 am Actually tbf, I think Gregan and Marshall would have been too mouthy under interrogation if they got captured.

Temperament is a biggie

Yeah.... George Gregan would have struggled because his temperament isn’t exactly what they’re looking for.
"Four more ears!"
User avatar
fatcat
Posts: 14333
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by fatcat »

Chris Jack would certainly have qualified for the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps but I'm not sure about the special forces.
obelixtim
Posts: 5981
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by obelixtim »

I've seen some tough looking hombres turn to jelly sitting in the door of an aeroplane at 3000 feet when you give them the 10 second exit call....

And conversely some wimpy looking dudes and girls go out with no hesitation at all.

You can never tell just by a persons looks, physique or athletic ability how they are going to react.

Always got the girls to go first, that put a few "tough" guys into an awkward situation. Enjoyed doing that, especially if said tough guy had been big mouthing, earlier on the ground.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 19192
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by shanky »

towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:40 am
Dark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 am Though smaller, probably Gregan and Marshall when it comes to half backs
I met a British SAS dude that couldn’t have been over 5’.
This guy is over 6’, but he was Oz SAS - perhaps their role is more like SBS, but I’m sure he would have gone alright. Probably could have been a supervillain tbf.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CGffAbA3UoxLxTG86

There isn’t really a ‘type’.
I’d say the Oz and NZ SAS is more like how the UK SAS used to be originally. Long range patrol and commando work.

Perhaps more in common now with the US Rangers or Delta or SBS (like you say)

The UK SAS has evolved into an anti-terrorist role.

IMO
bimboman
Posts: 65140
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by bimboman »

shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:13 pm
towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:40 am
Dark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 am Though smaller, probably Gregan and Marshall when it comes to half backs
I met a British SAS dude that couldn’t have been over 5’.
This guy is over 6’, but he was Oz SAS - perhaps their role is more like SBS, but I’m sure he would have gone alright. Probably could have been a supervillain tbf.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CGffAbA3UoxLxTG86

There isn’t really a ‘type’.
I’d say the Oz and NZ SAS is more like how the UK SAS used to be originally. Long range patrol and commando work.

Perhaps more in common now with the US Rangers or Delta or SBS (like you say)

The UK SAS has evolved into an anti-terrorist role.

IMO


The UK special forces of anything have become more of a combat role in the last decade.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 19192
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by shanky »

Sure. No doubt.

I guess my point was that they’ve got a broader purpose?

Whereas AU SAS is mainly tasked with growing beards and driving jeeps with guns on them.
User avatar
Harveys
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:39 pm

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by Harveys »

Brad Thorne
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 19192
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by shanky »

I’ve got a mate who is one of those labelled ‘the best player to never play for the WBs’

He reckons the key ingredient at that level (for forwards at least) is the ability to play ‘with one arm hanging off‘.

If that’s the test, and the test for the SAS - then I reckon Pocock would be in with a shout.
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17901
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by towny »

bimboman wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:07 pm
shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:13 pm
towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:40 am
Dark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 am Though smaller, probably Gregan and Marshall when it comes to half backs
I met a British SAS dude that couldn’t have been over 5’.
This guy is over 6’, but he was Oz SAS - perhaps their role is more like SBS, but I’m sure he would have gone alright. Probably could have been a supervillain tbf.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CGffAbA3UoxLxTG86

There isn’t really a ‘type’.
I’d say the Oz and NZ SAS is more like how the UK SAS used to be originally. Long range patrol and commando work.

Perhaps more in common now with the US Rangers or Delta or SBS (like you say)

The UK SAS has evolved into an anti-terrorist role.

IMO


The UK special forces of anything have become more of a combat role in the last decade.
I would respectfully disagree. I’m with Shanky.
User avatar
LandOTurk
Posts: 13352
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by LandOTurk »

Scott William's

Apparently one of those quieter hard as nails, superior strength kind of guys. Nobody messed with him at the Scarlets.
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 30952
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by EverReady »

Respectfully guys Bimbo is actually Andy McNab
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 19192
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by shanky »

EverReady wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:29 pm Respectfully guys Bimbo is actually Andy McNab
:lol:

Everything becomes clear now.

Bimbo-two-zero.

Love it. :lol: :thumbup: ;) :P
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17901
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by towny »

shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:17 pm I’ve got a mate who is one of those labelled ‘the best player to never play for the WBs’

He reckons the key ingredient at that level (for forwards at least) is the ability to play ‘with one arm hanging off‘.

If that’s the test, and the test for the SAS - then I reckon Pocock would be in with a shout.
I agree with your mate. I share his opinion and also never made the Wobs.
I’d back a high % of test level players could make it. The amount of work it must take to get to the top of rugby is a harder road. Test rugby players are farkin tough, fit and athletic. SAS are the pick of the blokes that weren’t good enough to be pro sportsmen.

A guy like Pocock is made for that stuff. Maybe some props would have to drop some kegs, but otherwise I’d back most tier one or two test players to pass selection with a couple of months training on nav and weapons.

p.s. not Pek Cowan.
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17901
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by towny »

EverReady wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:29 pm Respectfully guys Bimbo is actually Andy McNab
A known bullshit artist? He hid that well.
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17901
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by towny »

Harveys wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:13 pm Brad Thorne
BT is 40 and hasn’t played in years. I would back him to pass right now.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 19192
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by shanky »

towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:35 pm
shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:17 pm I’ve got a mate who is one of those labelled ‘the best player to never play for the WBs’

He reckons the key ingredient at that level (for forwards at least) is the ability to play ‘with one arm hanging off‘.

If that’s the test, and the test for the SAS - then I reckon Pocock would be in with a shout.
I agree with your mate. I share his opinion and also never made the Wobs.
I’d back a high % of test level players could make it. The amount of work it must take to get to the top of rugby is a harder road. Test rugby players are farkin tough, fit and athletic. SAS are the pick of the blokes that weren’t good enough to be pro sportsmen.

A guy like Pocock is made for that stuff. Maybe some props would have to drop some kegs, but otherwise I’d back most tier one or two test players to pass selection with a couple of months training on nav and weapons.

p.s. not Pek Cowan.
My mate may be be a bit jaded though. He was mostly kept out by that chubby lad who played xxx for yyys (name escapes - bit you-know-who)
LOL
Last edited by shanky on Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 19192
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by shanky »

EverReady wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:36 pm :lol:

The Irish have special forces though, right?

The Royal Greenjackets?
The Irish Guards?

.
.
.
:uhoh:
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17901
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by towny »

EverReady wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:36 pm :lol:
Army fanboys...... :yawn:
User avatar
towny
Posts: 17901
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by towny »

shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:42 pm
EverReady wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:36 pm :lol:

The Irish have special forces though, right?

The Royal Greenjackets?
The Irish Guards?

.
.
.
:uhoh:
They’re the best, no doubt.

Do we have to guess your mate? Who is the greatest Oz non-Wallaby? Reckon I could get it in 3 goes.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 19192
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by shanky »

I’d rather you didn’t :)

Respectful anonymity etc

He’s a top bloke though. You’d like him.

:thumbup:
bimboman
Posts: 65140
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by bimboman »

towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:35 pm
shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:17 pm I’ve got a mate who is one of those labelled ‘the best player to never play for the WBs’

He reckons the key ingredient at that level (for forwards at least) is the ability to play ‘with one arm hanging off‘.

If that’s the test, and the test for the SAS - then I reckon Pocock would be in with a shout.
I agree with your mate. I share his opinion and also never made the Wobs.
I’d back a high % of test level players could make it. The amount of work it must take to get to the top of rugby is a harder road. Test rugby players are farkin tough, fit and athletic. SAS are the pick of the blokes that weren’t good enough to be pro sportsmen.

A guy like Pocock is made for that stuff. Maybe some props would have to drop some kegs, but otherwise I’d back most tier one or two test players to pass selection with a couple of months training on nav and weapons.

p.s. not Pek Cowan.


Aren’t you an ex service man ?
Post Reply