Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

All things Rugby
Mahoney

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by Mahoney »

Google is so used to being asked it just tells you, without you even having to follow a link
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Poshprop wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:55 am I used to play rugby for Luctonians in Herefordshire and in the 3s we had a few lads from Hereford play for us. .
Did you find out the colour of the Boathouse?
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

koroke hangareka wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:02 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:33 pm Western soldiers have one big disadvantage - they have something to live for. No matter how skilful they are they're always going to struggle against Afghan goat herders/ Viet Cong rice growers who doesn't care if they die or not.
Never met a Vietnamese rice grower who didn't care if they died or not. (disclaimer: none of them were in the Viet Cong at the time)
Western soldiers have one big disadvantage, their privilege. :roll:
Poshprop

Post by Poshprop »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:34 pm
Poshprop wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:55 am I used to play rugby for Luctonians in Herefordshire and in the 3s we had a few lads from Hereford play for us. .
Did you find out the colour of the Boathouse?
Yes. It was Heliotrope Purple
towny

Post by towny »

Poshprop wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:55 am I used to play rugby for Luctonians in Herefordshire and in the 3s we had a few lads from Hereford play for us. Two extremes were 1 bloke who would have be 5 foot 6 ish and weighed approx 9 stone, run from the camp to the ground about 20 miles (this is when the camp was in the city not Credenhill) play and then run back to camp. And he was bloody rubbish. Scrum half who couldn’t pass, kick or tackle. Another was a 6 foot 3 Fijian whose weight fluctuated depending on deployment. He was once punched square in the face and then just turned to his assailant and very calmly and politely asked him not to do that again. The colour drained from the punchers face at this point.
😂
Fijians are alright
towny

Post by towny »

obelixtim wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:50 am
towny wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:31 am
obelixtim wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:08 am
Openside wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:29 pm
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:22 am Josh Lewsey probably.
Feck off he was a crap hat
I doubt many will get that reference OS.
I got it. :x

Who the fark thinks that berets are cool anyway? It's a farkin' beret.
So, what is a crap hat, and who calls others crap hats then.
SAS dudes that are ‘qualified’ (Super Army Soldiers) wear gay berets. In their unit, they’ll have heaps of ‘non-SAS’ soldiers providing support. These guys are above average and some will be pretty bloody good (signals, intelligence, armour era, etc.). But they don’t get the gay beret. They have to wear the regular coloured one, which is crap and gay.

It’s all pretty gay tbf.
Openside

Post by Openside »

towny wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:42 pm
Openside wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:29 pm

Feck off he was a crap hat

SAS dudes that are ‘qualified’ (Super Army Soldiers) wear gay berets. In their unit, they’ll have heaps of ‘non-SAS’ soldiers providing support. These guys are above average and some will be pretty bloody good (signals, intelligence, armour era, etc.). But they don’t get the gay beret. They have to wear the regular coloured one, which is crap and gay.

It’s all pretty gay tbf.
That is not actually correct. 😁
towny

Post by towny »

Openside wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:11 pm
towny wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:42 pm

It’s all pretty gay tbf.
That is not actually correct. 😁
Really? Are they still just pogues?

Are crap hats just the new dudes that have passed selection but haven’t completed the training?
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

It’s all pretty gay tbf.
Not so. It is an expression particular to the Paras.

They have a maroon beret, and to them, anyone who wears a beret of a different colour is a crap hat. The only ones they would accept as not being crap hats would be members of the squadron, who wear a sandy coloured beret. Even the marines are regarded as crap hats because of their green berets. So if you are not a para or SAS you are a crap hat.
Fruit and Nutt

Post by Fruit and Nutt »

The RM commandos naked bar is rugby tour behaviour. And fairly gay.
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Totally agree Towny. The logo of the penis with wings and the who dares wins refers to bumming each other on manuvoures. Which is A1 in 2020 but they need to be honest about it
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

The entire 2017 Springbok squad, walked straight in, multiple times.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Lot of cock from Eben there
towny

Post by towny »

obelixtim wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:31 pm

It’s all pretty gay tbf.

They have a maroon beret, and to them, anyone who wears a beret of a different colour is a crap hat. The only ones they would accept as not being crap hats would be members of the squadron, who wear a sandy coloured beret. Even the marines are regarded as crap hats because of their green berets. So if you are not a para or SAS you are a crap hat.
:thumbup:

Berets are all shit. Bush hat, slouch hat or sombrero.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

towny wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:34 pm

It’s all pretty gay tbf.

Berets are mostly ceremonial headwear. Agree, they are not much protection against UV rays. Did you not qualify to wear one?
Openside

Post by Openside »

It’s all pretty gay tbf.

Actually still not correct.
Openside

Post by Openside »

Fruit and Nutt wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:47 pm The RM commandos naked bar is rugby tour behaviour. And fairly gay.
Not to mention they are almost all cross dressers 😂
rett

Post by rett »

Fit artistic blokes. According to a book I read by a pommy bloke called Manners. Or Mc Manners? Can’t remember exactly.
Anyway the ones I know in the Australian Regiment are just like that. So I think it’s probably true.
Except for the recent murdering cnuts. Standards have fallen.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Mike Brown.
Fruit and Nutt

Post by Fruit and Nutt »

DragsterDriver wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:47 pm Mike Brown.
I can just imagine Mike Brown running across no-man's land. He'd manage to find the only landmine.
Newsome

Post by Newsome »

Openside wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:38 pm

It’s all pretty gay tbf.

Why don't you just tell us then?
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Fruit and Nutt wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:58 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:47 pm Mike Brown.
I can just imagine Mike Brown running across no-man's land. He'd manage to find the only landmine.
Mike Brown could find the land mine in an empty field.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Openside

Random, left field question

Did you happen to come across a bloke called 'Pompey Norman"? I believe he was a Sergeant Major perhaps?
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:52 am
Dark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:20 am Actually tbf, I think Gregan and Marshall would have been too mouthy under interrogation if they got captured.

Temperament is a biggie

Yeah.... George Gregan would have struggled because his temperament isn’t exactly what they’re looking for.

Gregan would have shat it in.
I think he'd be perfect, the interrogators would give up listening to him and fcuk off home
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:22 pm
EverReady wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:57 pm
towny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:44 pm
shanky wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:42 pm
EverReady wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:36 pm :lol:

The Irish have special forces though, right?

The Royal Greenjackets?
The Irish Guards?

:uhoh:
They’re the best, no doubt.

Do we have to guess your mate? Who is the greatest Oz non-Wallaby? Reckon I could get it in 3 goes.
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i ... 43110.html

Suck on that mofo's
:lol: :lol:

I’ve read so many stories just like this. “Aussie wins coveted champion soldier award at elite US unit”, etc.

Those that have been in the military know two things:
- any comp is shite that should be avoided at all costs. No one gives a fark
- there are 459 million such comps
- no one knows who won it last year, let alone the stats over the comp’s history

“First non-American team to win XYZ..... “ this comp had teams from non-military organisations. Plus, it’s not like all the snipers around the world are dreaming of this illustrious championship.
Having said that, I’m sure they are quality.

But let me say, I have never heard any soldier talking about the Irish Rangers. Were they the guys that took down Bin Laden? They must keep a tight lip on their glorious escapes too. I only know they exist because I saw one once - compared to the special forces guys kicking around at the time, he looked like a hat stand and his kit and gat looked decidedly non-SF.
.....to the untrained eye.....thats kinda the look were going for ; we dig the covert in covert ops
towny

Post by towny »

rett wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:41 pm Fit artistic blokes. According to a book I read by a pommy bloke called Manners. Or Mc Manners? Can’t remember exactly.
Anyway the ones I know in the Australian Regiment are just like that. So I think it’s probably true.
When about do you reckon the standards were high and about when did the slip happen?
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

Openside wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:38 pm

It’s all pretty gay tbf.

Military Police - the cvnts
rett

Post by rett »

towny wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:00 pm
rett wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:41 pm Fit artistic blokes. According to a book I read by a pommy bloke called Manners. Or Mc Manners? Can’t remember exactly.
When about do you reckon the standards were high and about when did the slip happen?
Things appear to have gone to shit in the last decade or so. The blokes I know were in Timor, and they managed that very tricky assignment without resorting to cold blooded murder. The recent footage of that shit in Afghanistan shames today’s mob. Acting like macho seppo cowboys. The antithesis of what they’re supposed to be about.
madman

Post by madman »

Rubbish thread..
towny

Post by towny »

rett wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:45 pm
Things appear to have gone to shit in the last decade or so. The blokes I know were in Timor, and they managed that very tricky assignment without resorting to cold blooded murder. The recent footage of that shit in Afghanistan shames today’s mob. Acting like macho seppo cowboys. The antithesis of what they’re supposed to be about.
Yeah, I think you make a good point. I’ve heard some awful shit about some of the stuff going on. I wouldn’t paint them all with the same brush, but there are some bad eggs and cowboys, including media darlings, that should be in jail. Even back in the Timor days, there were some loose units, but likely to a lesser degree. The guys in Timor were pretty farkin handy and afaik, extremely professional. It’s gotten a bit loose since then.

One question though, were any of your chicken strangler mates taller than 5’8”? That’s what really matters!!

-
Dark

Post by Dark »

obelixtim wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:30 pm

It’s all pretty gay tbf.

Berets are mostly ceremonial headwear. Agree, they are not much protection against UV rays. Did you not qualify to wear one?
I thought they had to start wearing berets because Britain got their arse kicked so many times in the Anglo-French wars.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Dark wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:51 pm
obelixtim wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:30 pm

It’s all pretty gay tbf.

I thought they had to start wearing berets because Britain got their arse kicked so many times in the Anglo-French wars.
You need to stop thinking...
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

It's hard to say whether professional athletes would make the SAS. There are two things that SAS soldiers go through that professional athletes don't - hunger and sleep deprivation.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Tehui wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:02 am It's hard to say whether professional athletes would make the SAS. There are two things that SAS soldiers go through that professional athletes don't - hunger and sleep deprivation.
Yep, so much this, plus the Sgt major or whoever does the basic training, essentially breaking you down, dehumanising you and making you subservient, before they start rebuilding you in their mould, not something that people who have been lauded their whole careers would be used to, being fit and strong is one small component
Poshprop

Post by Poshprop »

towny wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:09 pm
rett wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:45 pm
Yeah, I think you make a good point. I’ve heard some awful shit about some of the stuff going on. I wouldn’t paint them all with the same brush, but there are some bad eggs and cowboys, including media darlings, that should be in jail. Even back in the Timor days, there were some loose units, but likely to a lesser degree. The guys in Timor were pretty farkin handy and afaik, extremely professional. It’s gotten a bit loose since then.

One question though, were any of your chicken strangler mates taller than 5’8”? That’s what really matters!!

-
Lofty Wiseman is 6 Foot 4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lofty_Wiseman
msp.

Post by msp. »

jambanja wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:08 am
Tehui wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:02 am It's hard to say whether professional athletes would make the SAS. There are two things that SAS soldiers go through that professional athletes don't - hunger and sleep deprivation.
Yep, so much this, plus the Sgt major or whoever does the basic training, essentially breaking you down, dehumanising you and making you subservient, before they start rebuilding you in their mould, not something that people who have been lauded their whole careers would be used to, being fit and strong is one small component
I suspect it would be rare, it would need someone who can dig deep and be self-reliant and is driven, and not someone who has always been told "your are the best" which leans more towards the endurance athletes rather than rugby players, although they tend to be physically small .. Maybe Someone like the Brownlee brothers..
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

obelixtim wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:56 am I've seen some tough looking hombres turn to jelly sitting in the door of an aeroplane at 3000 feet when you give them the 10 second exit call....
Yes, if there's any mental weakness, it will be uncovered during selection. It's said some of the best athletes are often first to drop out, they've been so used to naturally dominating they're not equipped for adversity.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

I think it's impossible to judge the type of person who would make it into the SAS. A friend of mine from the RAF was attached to the regiment as a survival equipment fitter. At the end of his attachment he decided to apply and made it and served for 11 years. He was the first ever non Rock Ape from the RAF to do that.

We would never have guessed he had the abilities. Stick thin but wiry he was quiet to the point of shy and one of the politest blokes you would ever meet. Also quite camp and if you first met him you might assume he was gay. Up until that point we actually laughed how bloody useless he would be in a fight.
Fruit and Nutt

Post by Fruit and Nutt »

BlackMac wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:27 pm I think it's impossible to judge the type of person who would make it into the SAS. A friend of mine from the RAF was attached to the regiment as a survival equipment fitter. At the end of his attachment he decided to apply and made it and served for 11 years. He was the first ever non Rock Ape from the RAF to do that.

We would never have guessed he had the abilities. Stick thin but wiry he was quiet to the point of shy and one of the politest blokes you would ever meet. Also quite camp and if you first met him you might assume he was gay. Up until that point we actually laughed how bloody useless he would be in a fight.

Not 110kgs then?!

A very good friend of mine used to be a Royal Marine Commando. We went down to Lympstone to see his passing out parade back in 1993 when we were all still kids in our early 20s. My mate had befriended the youngest RM graduating that day, I think he'd only just turned 18 but he had nobody there to see him as he was an orphan. It was quite a tough start to life he'd had so we all kind of adopted him for the weekend we stayed down there and as you can imagine, we all got fairly drunk that night. He was a smashing lad, would have made any parent proud and he fairly matched the same description as your friend, very quiet, respectful and about 70kgs sopping wet on a skinny 5'8" frame. Long story short, he made it into the SBS and got killed in Iraq.

:(