Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

All things Rugby
towny

Re: Players who would have walked it into the SAS after the course

Post by towny »

Tehui wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:02 am It's hard to say whether professional athletes would make the SAS. There are two things that SAS soldiers go through that professional athletes don't - hunger and sleep deprivation.
What qualities do SAS guys have that make it through sleep deprivation and hunger?

Which of these qualities would Richie McCaw or anyone in the Tour de France not have? Professional athletes are hard af.
towny

Post by towny »

jambanja wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:08 am
Tehui wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:02 am It's hard to say whether professional athletes would make the SAS. There are two things that SAS soldiers go through that professional athletes don't - hunger and sleep deprivation.
Yep, so much this, plus the Sgt major or whoever does the basic training, essentially breaking you down, dehumanising you and making you subservient, before they start rebuilding you in their mould, not something that people who have been lauded their whole careers would be used to, being fit and strong is one small component
Most of this isn’t actually true for the UK or Australian military.
Were you in the military?
shanky

Post by shanky »

I’ve watched the Richard Gere movie where Sgt Mjr Lou Gossett gives him a hard time amd tells him that Navy Wings are made of gold

So I think that’s fair and truthful.

Incidentally, I also watched Iron Eagle, where Lou Gossett (playing a character called ‘Chucky’) enables a 17-year old boy to ‘borrow’ a USAF F-16 and fly to the middle east to rescue his dad, who is being held captive by some dudes there who were upset about him freedom-bombing them.

So, I suspect that I’ll believe anything..