NZ Rugby finally realises - It’s Hammer Time

All things Rugby
towny

NZ Rugby finally realises - It’s Hammer Time

Post by towny »

Long article from NZ’s premier online news site.

The short summary, “OMG! Please don’t hurt me actual, real businessman.”

The long version for those that can handle an emasculated nation coming to grips with reality. No word yet on the whereabouts of the paid-by-the-hour consultants that gave RNZ such awesome advice. Fortunately, the Hammer is gracious and occasionally merciful for those that show sufficient contrition.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-b ... r-nz-rugby
OPINION: The blame game is in full swing as the government and New Zealand Rugby point the finger at each other over the failure to land The Rugby Championship.

Both sides will ease up in coming days as they realise the futility of that exercise, and the more NZ Rugby complains about the government's inflexibility the more it shines a light on their lack of leverage at government level.

Rugby Australia interim chief executive Rob Clarke and Rugby Australia chairman Hamish “The Hammer” McLennan pose in Sydney after winning the race to host The Rugby Championship.

But frankly, both sides are in danger of looking like squabbling younger siblings complaining about the unfairness of life as they watch their big brother pull out of the driveway on the way to a party.

The bigger picture here is the re-emergence of Rugby Australia as a player just months after being viewed as sufficiently weak that they would have to fill in expressions of interest to simply take part in a NZ Rugby-run Super competition.

That strategy is now surely finished, with NZ Rugby coming to terms with the reality that Australia is better as an ally, or partner, than a rival.

The Rugby Championship race in fact emphasised elements of Rugby Australia's argument to NZ Rugby that it should have partnership status in any future Super Rugby competition.

The veiled threat was that NZ Rugby would be blasting itself in the feet if it pushed away a country with bigger commercial opportunities and a history of heavy support for sport from governments of all political stripes.

The Wallabies enjoyed a thrashing of the the All Blacks in Perth last year, and Rugby Australia is now enjoying another crushing victory. It's an argument that resonates loudly today.

The other factor that is becoming is apparent is that Rugby Australia chairman Hamish “The Hammer” McLennan is a formidable adversary for NZ Rugby. “He’s f*cking terrifying”, is actually how one NZ Rugby board member described him.

In conversation, McLennan drops in the eye-watering $100 million-plus he helped put into the Big Bash cricket competition, and unsolicited calls from private equity giants, without a hint of self-doubt.

Some of his ideas, such as a draft to scoop up unwanted Kiwi Super Rugby players into the Australian system, are dubious, but this is a bloke completely at ease in the world of big deals, and with an absolute lack of awe when it comes to NZ Rugby.

He is also well connected, even in New Zealand, giving Rugby Australia the confidence to make claims about disagreement at NZ Rugby board level about the direction of Super Rugby – denied by NZ Rugby – and even Sky's preference for a trans-Tasman competition.

Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan has shown a willingness to take the fight to New Zealand.
MARK METCALFE/GETTY IMAGES
Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan has shown a willingness to take the fight to New Zealand.
You don’t make such claims unless you have access to the right people at NZ Rugby, or Sky.

In terms of the blame game, the to-and-fro between NZ Rugby and the government won't produce any winners because the reasons why New Zealand ‘lost’ The Rugby Championship are both simple and complex.

Simple, because despite what Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said, New Zealand's more conservative quarantine requirements were a factor in Sanzaar's decision, particularly in relation to the Springboks.

Yet complex, because New Zealand and Australia's systems of government and economic size are so different that New Zealand is rarely competing on a level playing field.

NZ Rugby boss Mark Robinson was correct in identifying border controls as a reason why New Zealand lost The Rugby Championship, but a war of words with the government would ultimately be self-defeating.
FIONA GOODALL/GETTY IMAGES
NZ Rugby boss Mark Robinson was correct in identifying border controls as a reason why New Zealand lost The Rugby Championship, but a war of words with the government would ultimately be self-defeating.
Australia's state governments fight like hungry hyenas over sporting events, so when they got wind The Rugby Championship was up for grabs, they would have moved quickly, put money on the table and been prepared to live with a higher risk profile than New Zealand.

It would be no surprise if they had offered to cover some quarantine or accommodation costs that would otherwise have come out of Sanzaar's pockets: we’d be in a state of self-delusion to think quarantine was the only carrot the Australians produced.

It's the sort of approach that will evident as Australia goes hard at hosting the Rugby World Cup in 2027, two years after it hosts the British and Irish Lions, two more events that will strengthen Australian rugby.

The ‘big brother’ across the ditch isn’t ready to be dictated to just yet.
booji boy

Re: NZ Rugby finally realises - It’s Hammer Time

Post by booji boy »

You have Scomo, we have Jacinda. Enough said.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Oh phew, I thought Mark Hammett had been added to the AB coaching panel.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

In one sentence: Australia bribed SANZAAR, New Zealand did not.
towny

Post by towny »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:07 pm In one sentence: Australia bribed SANZAAR, New Zealand did not.
And I thought we were broke.
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

please dont hurt em Hammer.

Could this be the real bounce or another dead cat?
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

^ I assumed the thread title meant this year’s AB uniform had gone for baggy shorts ... or potentially a brave new direction with the haka.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

towny wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:11 pm
Muttonbirds wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:07 pm In one sentence: Australia bribed SANZAAR, New Zealand did not.
Apparently, there's state and federal help in there. NZ taxpayers footing the bill for foreign rugby players to quarantine would not fly here, I can tell you that.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:16 pm
Apparently, there's state and federal help in there. NZ taxpayers footing the bill for foreign rugby players to quarantine would not fly here, I can tell you that.
Who is paying when the Wallabies come for the Bledisloe?
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:16 pm
All good, you get to watch it at home from quarantine in your covid safe bubble while Australian business enjoy the extra ejection boosting their recovery. After all NZ tax payers would never cop paying for an Aus spots team to quarantine :lol:

Don’t ever change MB, the resentment is strong in you it is.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

I'm happy Australia got it. I would've been happier had NZ hosted it, it would've made for some fantastic Saturdays with AFL/NRL finals and spring racing carnival. Now there would be scheduling clashes.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Harveys wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:11 pm please dont hurt em Hammer.

Could this be the real bounce or another dead cat?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

I reckon they should cancel the Rugby Championship. Sanzaar are just trying to rush it. Half the all black team don't want to go, half the Argentine team has covid19, and none of the boks or pumas players have played any type of rugby for half the year.

Save it for next year and plan it properly.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Auckman wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:37 am I reckon they should cancel the Rugby Championship. Sanzaar are just trying to rush it. Half the all black team don't want to go, half the Argentine team has covid19, and none of the boks or pumas players have played any type of rugby for half the year.

Tend to agree. A three test Bledisloe Cup series would be entertaining enough and both the AB and Wallaby players have been playing Super Rugby and/or NPC. The Pumas and Boks players would be totally under done.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

In my view it's quite ridiculous that two countries with such incredibly low COVID rates, going into a long hot summer (which will likely curb them even further) are even still in lockdown, let alone locked down so hard that it's a factor in hosting an International rugby competition.

I'm not suggesting to just let it rip, pack out the stadiums and whatnot, but surely NZ (and I assume Australia) could have easily have made allowances for a few rugby teams, some sensible social distancing regulations at the games, proper testing procedures of those involved, etc.

In the end, you can't have your cake and eat it too I guess. If NZ think that such lockdowns are necessary to control a handful of cases, then okay, sure. Maybe they're even right. But this is part of the price.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

I personally couldn't give a shit about where a few poxy games of rugby are being played and I can't believe the majority of the public do either.

There's people losing jobs and going bankrupt and losing homes and businesses all over the show. It's quite frankly pathetic.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Did the kiwis doctor another contract ?
Mog The Almighty

RuggaBugga wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:09 pm I personally couldn't give a shit about where a few poxy games of rugby are being played and I can't believe the majority of the public do either.

There's people losing jobs and going bankrupt and losing homes and businesses all over the show. It's quite frankly pathetic.
Erm... its all a little bit related dont you think? And when I say "a little bit", I mean its basically the crux of the conversation. Yes, losing the rugby tests is only a small part of the bigger issue. Is it all worth it over a handful of cases?
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Auckman wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:37 am I reckon they should cancel the Rugby Championship. Sanzaar are just trying to rush it. Half the all black team don't want to go, half the Argentine team has covid19, and none of the boks or pumas players have played any type of rugby for half the year.

Sensible. But I imagine the money has already been spent and a rushed Rugby Championship is better than deciding which programs to cut.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:09 pm Did the kiwis doctor another contract ?
<remembers to check the Brexit thread for the latest intelligent discussion on the UK attempting to alter their agreement.>
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

RuggaBugga wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:09 pm I personally couldn't give a shit about where a few poxy games of rugby are being played and I can't believe the majority of the public do either.

Well playing rugby is work for the players and rugby union is a business.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

booji boy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:03 am

Well playing rugby is work for the players and rugby union is a business.
:lol: :thumbup:

Check mate.
RandomNavigat0r

Post by RandomNavigat0r »

I heard NZL may lose the first 2 Bledisloe tests too due to unrealistic isolation demands placed on the Wallabies. Dave Renee is not happy and bright is Rugby Australia. SANZAAR have been asked to step in.

I hope corona virus is worth it NZL.
RandomNavigat0r

booji boy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:00 pm You have Scomo, we have Jacinda. Enough said.
If you are trying to say Jacinda is a good politician, well you are mistaken. She is a moron
RandomNavigat0r

Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:16 pm In my view it's quite ridiculous that two countries with such incredibly low COVID rates, going into a long hot summer (which will likely curb them even further) are even still in lockdown, let alone locked down so hard that it's a factor in hosting an International rugby competition.

I'm not suggesting to just let it rip, pack out the stadiums and whatnot, but surely NZ (and I assume Australia) could have easily have made allowances for a few rugby teams, some sensible social distancing regulations at the games, proper testing procedures of those involved, etc.

In the end, you can't have your cake and eat it too I guess. If NZ think that such lockdowns are necessary to control a handful of cases, then okay, sure. Maybe they're even right. But this is part of the price.
Exactly.

You have NZL trying to eradicate COVID from existence without any vaccines in place to the detriment of their freedom, their businesses, their economy, and all for what? Their hospitals and medical centres aren't under any extra strain. They are just a nanny state and their people blindly follow their governments orders like lambs to the slaughter.

Good luck NZL with your economic recovery in yoir little bubble when the rest of the world is just getting on with Life.. unafraid of the big bad COVID wolf. Lol.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

RandomNavigat0r wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:38 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:16 pm In my view it's quite ridiculous that two countries with such incredibly low COVID rates, going into a long hot summer (which will likely curb them even further) are even still in lockdown, let alone locked down so hard that it's a factor in hosting an International rugby competition.

Exactly.

You have NZL trying to eradicate COVID from existence without any vaccines in place to the detriment of their freedom, their businesses, their economy, and all for what? Their hospitals and medical centres aren't under any extra strain. They are just a nanny state and their people blindly follow their governments orders like lambs to the slaughter.

Good luck NZL with your economic recovery in yoir little bubble when the rest of the world is just getting on with Life.. unafraid of the big bad COVID wolf. Lol.
Yeah, NZ: mass unemployment, rioting in the streets, an epidemic of suicide and spousal abuse, while the rest of the world sails through with nary a sign of an economic downturn, all paid for with the lives of a few dispensable old people.
LOL
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Exactly.

OECD - Quarterly GDPTotal, Percentage change, previous period, Q2 2020 or latest available - https://data.oecd.org/gdp/quarterly-gdp.htm
Aus -ve 6.9%
NZ -ve 1.6%

Early days to be bullish around Aus approach over NZ.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

koroke hangareka wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:19 am

Exactly.

Yeah, NZ: mass unemployment, rioting in the streets, an epidemic of suicide and spousal abuse, while the rest of the world sails through with nary a sign of an economic downturn, all paid for with the lives of a few dispensable old people.
LOL
Random dude is spouting off crap about NZ over multiple threads like he as a clue when clearly he hasn’t. He appears to be just a stock standard troll.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Yeah, wouldn't it be nice to get something original for a change
RandomNavigat0r

Exactly.

LOL
Lol, you guys can try and label me a troll all you like but your country looks like a bunch of plonkers. Only the media has given you guys any grace, actual people, and social media think you guys are a basket case, a police state. Lead by the ultimate nanny.

Lol you mean all the old people dying of preexisting conditions that just so happen to have COVID when they die.

Here is an interesting stat, in the height of the pandemic, how many extra people died in NZL this year compared to people who died from standard conditions like heart/lung/kidney and brain conditions last year, or the year before? Can you tell me how many additional deaths occured from COVID compared to the same time last year during the height of this so called pandemic?

Face it, you've been hooked, line and sinker. Your whole population has followed Jacindas orders like Lambs to the slaughter. It's embarassing. You guys embarass me. Absolute total sheep.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

WAKE UP SHEEPLE :roll:
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

RandomNavigat0r wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:32 am

Exactly.

LOL
Lol, you guys can try and label me a troll all you like but your country looks like a bunch of plonkers. Only the media has given you guys any grace, actual people, and social media think you guys are a basket case, a police state. Lead by the ultimate nanny.

Lol you mean all the old people dying of preexisting conditions that just so happen to have COVID when they die.

Here is an interesting stat, in the height of the pandemic, how many extra people died in NZL this year compared to people who died from standard conditions like heart/lung/kidney and brain conditions last year, or the year before? Can you tell me how many additional deaths occured from COVID compared to the same time last year during the height of this so called pandemic?

Face it, you've been hooked, line and sinker. Your whole population has followed Jacindas orders like Lambs to the slaughter. It's embarassing. You guys embarass me. Absolute total sheep.
Woah woah woah, who told you about what we do with sheep?
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Now, now. He has read those couple of articles and some internet comment so is an expert on global opinion.
Mog The Almighty

To be clear on my personal position in this mess: I have no idea whether NZ have done the right thing or not. I believe although it's an unpalatable discussion, the question, what is an acceptable death rate and what is an acceptable level of social and economic upheaval? is a legitimate one with no easy answer. This is a question that is considered all the time by lawmakers in regards to seat-belts, speed-limits, alcohol, health & safety, etc.

If NZ have elected to prioritize as low-as-humanely-possible death-rate then that's fine, it maybe the best thing to do, I don't know, I have no comment on that. But that decision does come with making certain sacrifices. In this case, that is hosting International Rugby tournaments. It's not realistic to except every other nation to just fall in line if you have chosen to impose extreme lockdown rules.
RandomNavigat0r

What about the huge increases in domestic violence abuse and the lack of confidence these victims are experiencing with the government.. the suicides from folded up businesses and lack of jobs. Untill that is assessed then the deaths from people dying from COVID with preexisting conditions cannot be compared. Of course the government won't want this data tracked.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

So far we have come out of this with a very good economic result when compared to many other countries. Yes, it is early days, but it is early days everywhere. I would expect that all of those societal impacts will be present elsewhere on top of their covid deaths - they certainly will not be present from NZ’s approach alone.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

RandomNavigat0r wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:31 am
booji boy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:00 pm You have Scomo, we have Jacinda. Enough said.
If you are trying to say Jacinda is a good politician, well you are mistaken. She is a moron
I'm actually saying the opposite. We LOST the RC because you have SCOMO and we have that 'moron' Jacinda. I see she is trying to fix the gate after the horse has bolted as usual and has salvaged the Bledisloe Cup tests at least.
blackblackblack

Post by blackblackblack »

It's cute how they seem to think the result might be different because they are playing somewhere else.
Mog The Almighty

booji boy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:40 am
RandomNavigat0r wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:31 am
I'm actually saying the opposite. We LOST the RC because you have SCOMO and we have that 'moron' Jacinda. I see she is trying to fix the gate after the horse has bolted as usual and has salvaged the Bledisloe Cup tests at least.
Scomo is a moron, don't worry. He's a happy-clapping cultist moron of the highest order. I can only imagine Jacinda is orders of magnitude smarter than Scomo, regardless of whether you agree with her politics or not. Mind you, that still wouldn't make her any kind of genius. Just smarter than science-denying moron who takes advice on national affairs from his cult leader.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

blackblackblack wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:03 am It's cute how they seem to think the result might be different because they are playing somewhere else.
I think the result might be different because they have successful coach Dave Rennie and we have perennial loser Ian Foster. With that in mind the home advantage definitely counts for something. The Wallabies are generally a much tougher nut to crack at home.