Dean Jones RIP

All things Rugby
akann

Dean Jones RIP

Post by akann »

grievous

Re: Dean Jones RIP

Post by grievous »

Hells bells. He looks like Lynagh in that photo who also has a stroke like that but survived..just.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Never knew his name until now but quite liked the actor Dean Jones who died this month 2015. RIP both of them
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

That is dreadful news.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Sad news. He was a hell of a batsmen in the limited overs format. I don't think I've ever seen a player run as quick between the wickets as him. Far too young to go out like that.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:48 am Never knew his name until now but quite liked the actor Dean Jones who died this month 2015. RIP both of them
RIP Deano

Great story about him and hardman Border
His most notable innings was in only his third Test against India in the Tied Test in Chennai (Madras) in 1986. Suffering from dehydration in the oppressively hot and humid conditions, Jones was frequently vomiting on the pitch. He wanted to go off the field "retired ill" which led his captain Allan Border to say that if he could not handle the conditions, he would "get a Queenslander" (Greg Ritchie, a Queenslander like Border, was the next man in to bat). This comment spurred Jones to score 210, an innings he considered a defining moment in his career and one of the epic Test innings in Australian cricket folklore.[2] This innings of 210 remains the highest score by an Australian cricketer in India. After the match, Jones was put on to an intravenous drip.[3]
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Heart attack at 59? Geezus. You'd think that must have been preventable. I wonder if he had some genetic heart disorder or just undiagnosed high blood pressure or something.

RIP.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

akann wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:35 am Shocking news. Only 59.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricke ... 2020-09-24
Ms MungoSpouse told me about this only minutes ago. Far too young.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

RIP. He was one of the good ones.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

A very sad day indeed, I was a bit young to see him in his prime, but have spent many an hour on youtube watching him bat

RIP
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Yeah he was very good. RIP.
Olo

Post by Olo »

One of my all time favourites. There was nothing that could match watching Deano in full flight when in touch. He had all the shots and could always be relied on to throw down a few overs in the one dayers. Sad news indeed. RIP Deano.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Very sad news - excellent player, coach and commentator. Far too young. RIP
Tussock

Post by Tussock »

RIP,

One of my favourite Aussie cricketers (a select few coming from a Kiwi).
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:24 pm Heart attack at 59? Geezus. You'd think that must have been preventable. I wonder if he had some genetic heart disorder or just undiagnosed high blood pressure or something.

RIP.
The vast majority of heart attacks are caused by blockage to coronary arteries. I thought I had that once when I had some serious chest pains. I spent three months eating raw veg and drinking water. By the time I had my angiogram the chest pains were long gone. The bloke doing it said there was no blockages at all (nothing to do with my diet). I went straight to Micky D's
i believe you can now get a CT angiogram privately in the UK for possibly a lot less than £2k and it's non invasive and more accurate than sticking a catheter in an artery.
massive_field_goal

Post by massive_field_goal »

My favourite player. Will miss you Deano :(

The least likely, you would think, to go amongst many Australian cricketers from the era. I'm looking at you Boon.
shanky

Post by shanky »

massive_field_goal wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:13 pm My favourite player. Will miss you Deano :(

The least likely, you would think, to go amongst many Australian cricketers from the era. I'm looking at you Boon.
Gavin Cooper went out on a high tonight though. So I guess that’d be some consolation for you.
Newsome

Post by Newsome »

Is that the fella who told Ambrose to take of his sweat bands?
shanky

Post by shanky »

Yes

:lol:

He tells (told) a funny story about it afterwards. How it seemed like a good idea at the time, to try and unsettle the bloke.

Big, big mistake. Ambrose went freaking nuts, knocking over wickets and Dean was pelted with eggs in the town square forever thereafter.

We’ve definitely lost one of cricket’s great characters today
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

A terrific character

https://www.cricket.com.au/video/tall-t ... 2016-03-16

“He got me out four times and they knighted him”. :lol:
shanky

Post by shanky »

Mr Mike wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:31 pm A terrific character

‘Didn’t sledge him... I wasn’t in long enough to sledge him’

Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Hated the bugger - and wished like hell he was in our team.

RIP Deano
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

Was the only Aussie cricketer I ever liked.

I have a memory of watching him playing as a guest for Auckland at Eden Park B as a child, but can find absolutely no reference to it ever happening - so now I am wondering if I have misremembered some other Aussie playing for Auckland (it was definitely an Aussie, not de Silva) or have just dreamed the whole match up entirely. :lol:

Though there were never more than 3 fans and a chilly-bin at Auckland matches back then, so it is possible that me and my old man were the only ones to witness it. :P
rett

Post by rett »

Deano redefined how a one day batsmen could play. Flamboyant as hell, and lightning with his running between the wickets. Also one hell of a Test player. He played a significant role in Australia’s rejuvenation as a cricket power.
His book “ My Call” is a great read.
RIP Deano. :(
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Funny the impressions you get of someone as a player can be totally at odds with their off field demeanor. I used to really hate him when he was playing, I thought he was such an arrogant prick! Whereas in his post career commentary role he always seemed like a really likeable bloke and, while not humble, at least self effacing. He was also always knowledgeable about the NZ players and never condescending towards the Black Caps even when they were Australia's bitches.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

shanky wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:39 pm

‘Didn’t sledge him... I wasn’t in long enough to sledge him’

That 3 ball duck they refer to was textbook Hadlee 3 card trick - 2 inswingers followed by a seaming outswinger.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

I remember that .... terrific bowling and very few could laugh at themselves after with the honesty and good humour Deano could . Wonderful bloke .
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

I don’t get all the ‘begrudging’ respect or the ‘my only favourite Aus player’. There are so many great Australian cricketers from my youth. And even amongst them Deano stood out as one of a kind. He was unorthodox and destructive with it. He was awesome to watch. Sad loss. RIP.
Mog The Almighty

mr bungle wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:04 am I don’t get all the ‘begrudging’ respect or the ‘my only favourite Aus player’. There are so many great Australian cricketers from my youth. And even amongst them Deano stood out as one of a kind. He was unorthodox and destructive with it. He was awesome to watch. Sad loss. RIP.
Well, it is Demilich. To put it in perspective I invited him for a beer and offered to show him around Stockholm once and he basically told me to "f-ck off" and "why would I want to have a beer with you?". He seems like a lovely, gracious chap.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

mr bungle wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:04 am I don’t get all the ‘begrudging’ respect or the ‘my only favourite Aus player’. There are so many great Australian cricketers from my youth. And even amongst them Deano stood out as one of a kind. He was unorthodox and destructive with it. He was awesome to watch. Sad loss. RIP.
Sure, there were loads of great Aussie cricketers. But that doesn't make them likeable as an opposition fan - particularly as a kid. Didn't like any of the English players either. Particularly Phil Tufnell (one of my earliest cricketing memories is him tearing us apart like he was peak Shane Warne :blush: - though he does seem like quite a character in hindsight - still, no forgiveness! :x ).
Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:25 am
Well, it is Demilich. To put it in perspective I invited him for a beer and offered to show him around Stockholm once and he basically told me to "f-ck off" and "why would I want to have a beer with you?". He seems like a lovely, gracious chap.
:lol: You invited me for a beer, not "to show me around Stockholm". And yes, I declined, as I had no interest in having a beer with (particularly when I don't really drink) or even spending time with, someone who I had little in common with, who came across as a complete bell-end and who was prone to spouting obnoxious, overly opinionated and bigoted rants. I would have also declined meeting Quentin. Or Jake. Or Island Styles. Or globus. Or grievous. Especially grievous.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Poor call Demlich. Your loss. I've met Ika off board. He's not so bad.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Ellafan wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:52 am Poor call Demlich. Your loss. I've met Ika off board. He's not so bad.
Well that just proved Demlich's point.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Wignu wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:58 am
Ellafan wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:52 am Poor call Demlich. Your loss. I've met Ika off board. He's not so bad.
Nobody cares what you think.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Ellafan wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:14 am
I care.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

mr bungle wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:18 am
I care.
That's nice.
Mog The Almighty

Demilich wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:35 am
Sure, there were loads of great Aussie cricketers. But that doesn't make them likeable as an opposition fan - particularly as a kid. Didn't like any of the English players either. Particularly Phil Tufnell (one of my earliest cricketing memories is him tearing us apart like he was peak Shane Warne :blush: - though he does seem like quite a character in hindsight - still, no forgiveness! :x ).
:lol: You invited me for a beer, not "to show me around Stockholm". And yes, I declined, as I had no interest in having a beer with (particularly when I don't really drink) or even spending time with, someone who I had little in common with, who came across as a complete bell-end and who was prone to spouting obnoxious, overly opinionated and bigoted rants. I would have also declined meeting Quentin. Or Jake. Or Island Styles. Or globus. Or grievous. Especially grievous.
Geezus. Okay then. :roll:

The lack of self awareness is frankly mystifying.
Mog The Almighty

I've met a lot of people off the board. Theyre all generally nice, surprisingly normal people in person. I dont think a forum does anyone any favours really.

I was prepared to give old mate Demilich the benefit of the doubt too despite his history of spittle-flinging insults towards me and his apparent intolerance of Australians in general. I guess that wasn't reciprocated. Fair enough, glad I didn't waste any time.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Sorry mate firstly there are other drinks, like water, sprite coke etc, secondly your reluctance says more about you than it does about Mog, who I hardly ever agree with on here but would happily meet up with, beer or coffee
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Interesting because less people care what a shrill fucktard like you think.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

jambanja wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:29 pm
Sorry mate firstly there are other drinks, like water, sprite coke etc, secondly your reluctance says more about you than it does about Mog, who I hardly ever agree with on here but would happily meet up with, beer or coffee
I fail to grasp why it is an expectation that you should go out of your way to meet someone from the bored in real life, simply because they are from the bored? Sure, if you think you'll enjoy the company of the people you're meeting, you are desperately bored and need something to fill in some time or you have a pressing need/interest in meeting new people, then go for it - but an expectation that you'll take time and effort to meet someone you are pretty sure you will not enjoy the company of, simply out of some sort of bored obligation? And I understand the notion of "maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised" - but I already meet a lot of new people on a regular basis and have plenty of pleasantness in my life - I see little value in doing it in the slim hopes it works out well, other than gaining some sort of props from the portion of the bored that seem particularly titillated by the mere thought of "so-and-so met so-and-so in real life".
Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:25 am Geezus. Okay then. :roll:

The lack of self awareness is frankly mystifying.

The "lack of self awareness" in me pointing out that we likely would not get along? You think that I am that charming, it will paper over the things we find obnoxious and opinionated about each other? You're probably not wrong, but what's in it for me? :lol: