The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

All things Rugby
Post Reply
User avatar
Salient
Posts: 3315
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland!

The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by Salient »

Hawke's Bay 20 - 19 Canterbury :D

Ash Dixon you beauty :thumbup:
User avatar
jdogscoop
Posts: 13547
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by jdogscoop »

Just finished watching a recording of Hawke's Bay vs Canterbury.

Hawke's Bay were full credit for their 20-19 win but with Canterbury coming back to lead 19-10 with 20 to play I noticed a couple of critical errors from the visitors:

1. Taking off champion halfback Mitchell Drummond way too early, which is a mistake Canterbury seem committed to repeating.
2. Declining a very gettable penalty kick with no more than 15 minutes remaining, which would have put them up 22-10. There's definitely an allergy about easy three points when it comes to Kiwi sides, no matter how much it can help them.
User avatar
Salient
Posts: 3315
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland!

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by Salient »

Should also mention the Cantabs butchered a couple of tries, but hey how ever it comes :smug:
User avatar
mr bungle
Posts: 12308
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by mr bungle »

What’s up with Canterbury? Stags had no issue taking care of HB.
obelixtim
Posts: 6046
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by obelixtim »

Salient wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:54 pm Should also mention the Cantabs butchered a couple of tries, but hey how ever it comes :smug:
The Magpies butchered 3 or 4 as well. And gave away a lot of stupid penalties. Their pack went very well though. I thought the ref was pretty pedantic with both sides though, often blowing penalties for "over the top" when the ball was already won and in the halfbacks hands.

Good game.
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 12928
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by UncleFB »

obelixtim wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:27 pm
Salient wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:54 pm Should also mention the Cantabs butchered a couple of tries, but hey how ever it comes :smug:
The Magpies butchered 3 or 4 as well. And gave away a lot of stupid penalties. Their pack went very well though. I thought the ref was pretty pedantic with both sides though, often blowing penalties for "over the top" when the ball was already won and in the halfbacks hands.

Good game.
The ref was all over the show, but for about 60 minutes he was consistent, then in the last 20 he lost his consistency.

Magpies should have put that game away before half time though.

Flanders is a beast.
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 12928
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by UncleFB »

Magpies have a Shield challenge next week too - this could be an awesome 8 days! :D
BBB
Posts: 8125
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:08 am
Location: Sydney

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by BBB »

Brought one of the Magpies match jerseys they were auctioning off for charity on Trademe before the game.

Didn’t think we’d win.

Massive bonus. :smug:
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 12928
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by UncleFB »

BBB wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:29 am Brought one of the Magpies match jerseys they were auctioning off for charity on Trademe before the game.

Didn’t think we’d win.

Massive bonus. :smug:
Nice. :thumbup:
BBB
Posts: 8125
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:08 am
Location: Sydney

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by BBB »

Hawkes Bay 28 Otago 9

The Shield is coming home. :smug:
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 12928
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by UncleFB »

BBB wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:28 am Hawkes Bay 28 Otago 9

The Shield is coming home. :smug:
Yep, an awesome 8 days!
User avatar
Maniototo Man
Posts: 2242
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Well South

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by Maniototo Man »

UncleFB wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:35 am
BBB wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:28 am Hawkes Bay 28 Otago 9

The Shield is coming home. :smug:
Yep, an awesome 8 days!
Congrats to your boys. Well deserved. They did a real rope a dope on Otago - and our boys were real dopes. The way they were playing today they couldn't even finish a beer.
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 12928
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by UncleFB »

Maniototo Man wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:38 am
UncleFB wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:35 am
BBB wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:28 am Hawkes Bay 28 Otago 9

The Shield is coming home. :smug:
Yep, an awesome 8 days!
Congrats to your boys. Well deserved. They did a real rope a dope on Otago - and our boys were real dopes. The way they were playing today they couldn't even finish a beer.
TBF, in the first half neither team looked like they could reach the bar to order a beer!
User avatar
Maniototo Man
Posts: 2242
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Well South

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by Maniototo Man »

UncleFB wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:40 am
Maniototo Man wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:38 am
UncleFB wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:35 am
BBB wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:28 am Hawkes Bay 28 Otago 9

The Shield is coming home. :smug:
Yep, an awesome 8 days!
Congrats to your boys. Well deserved. They did a real rope a dope on Otago - and our boys were real dopes. The way they were playing today they couldn't even finish a beer.
TBF, in the first half neither team looked like they could reach the bar to order a beer!
:lol:

Cruel but fair.

As an aside they should never have et Ioane back on after his HIA - he was not right. He wouldn't have even know there was a bar, let alone where it was.
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 12928
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by UncleFB »

Maniototo Man wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:45 am
UncleFB wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:40 am
Maniototo Man wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:38 am
UncleFB wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:35 am
BBB wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:28 am Hawkes Bay 28 Otago 9

The Shield is coming home. :smug:
Yep, an awesome 8 days!
Congrats to your boys. Well deserved. They did a real rope a dope on Otago - and our boys were real dopes. The way they were playing today they couldn't even finish a beer.
TBF, in the first half neither team looked like they could reach the bar to order a beer!
:lol:

Cruel but fair.

As an aside they should never have et Ioane back on after his HIA - he was not right. He wouldn't have even know there was a bar, let alone where it was.
They should have HIA'd McDowall and the fullback at that time as well.
User avatar
Salient
Posts: 3315
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland!

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by Salient »

On the bright side the recent hold it for a week then hand pass to the next team is finished, an away game :thumbup:
BBB
Posts: 8125
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:08 am
Location: Sydney

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by BBB »

Northland,Manawatu and Wellington the remaining home games for HB.

Probably won’t keep it till the end of the season but it’s good to see The Shield do the rounds again.
User avatar
Salient
Posts: 3315
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland!

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by Salient »

BBB wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:12 am Northland,Manawatu and Wellington the remaining home games for HB.

Probably won’t keep it till the end of the season but it’s good to see The Shield do the rounds again.
Northland - looking strong this year, hell of a game

Manawatu - send in the B team

Wellington - Damn this isn't going to be pretty
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 12928
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by UncleFB »

Magpies beat Northland in their first defence. 33- 17.

Both teams were awful in the fist half, Magpies came right in the second.
BBB
Posts: 8125
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:08 am
Location: Sydney

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by BBB »

Surprised how comfortable that win was in the end.

I just assumed Gareth Evans would eventually work his way back into the starting xv but the way Mikaele-Tu’u and Flanders are going that won’t be happening.

Flanders was particularly good tonight.

Only 21.The dude looks in his 40s. :lol:
User avatar
Salient
Posts: 3315
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland!

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by Salient »

Well that was worth watching ... sort of ... another glorious Magpie Victory :thumbup:

Jeez am not enjoying the half's haircut, did he go to the local hairdresser and asked for the worse they got :shock:
User avatar
Ghost-Of-Nepia
Posts: 4199
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Magpies break a 38 year hoodoo, victory over Canterbury

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Salient wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:21 am Well that was worth watching ... sort of ... another glorious Magpie Victory :thumbup:

Jeez am not enjoying the half's haircut, did he go to the local hairdresser and asked for the worse they got :shock:
"Hi, could I get business at the front and dumpster fire at the back please?"
Post Reply